Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I know people have wanted to move away from Wallets over the last few years (Going as far as wanting the ID/Drivers License on the phone) but I was always confused by that because most states don't have the Drivers License feature (And probably won't get it, and states that have instituted their own have been really bad, from what I've heard). Where do you put your most important card if you can't put it on the phone. I wouldn't want to keep it in the car (Someone could break in and steal it) and I just don't feel comfortable without a wallet. Maybe I too should go back to just using hard credit cards, but I still believe Tap to Pay is a useable innovation.
Yep and if you travel or live overseas you have a few more cards to have ready to hand

I have a very small Montblanc 4cc wallet that holds my cards and enough cash for emergency use

Reactions: sjsharksfan12

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Quick question, how smooth is it is transferring files between Samsung phones and mac? Do you just connect it, open up Dex and drag and drop files? Also for images do you get thumbnails?

At the moment with my Redmi I use OpenMTP which is slow and doesn't show image thumbnails which is a massive pain.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Quick question, how smooth is it is transferring files between Samsung phones and mac? Do you just connect it, open up Dex and drag and drop files? Also for images do you get thumbnails?
Not entirely sure what you mean by your last question.

But I like using MacDroid, it's not free. But I like the fact that it's integrated into the Finders app and it's quite reliable when it comes to transferring files.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

But I like using MacDroid, it's not free. But I like the fact that it's integrated into the Finders app and it's quite reliable when it comes to transferring files.

On OpenMTP and Android File Transfer when looking at image files on my Xiaomi it only shows the filename, no thumbnail preview of the actual image. At least that's how it was a few months ago and I couldn't find any view options to show thumbnails.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
For anybody who has been a long time iPhone owner, have any of you actually been able to stay away when you’ve changed to android? I’ll admit, I want to but never manage it
I'm still getting along quite well with just my S24+. Had it since launch and sold my 15PM about a month after that. For longtime iOS / iPhone users (I am one of those) it takes a *very* long time to completely adapt. Now that I'm 4+ months in I am 100% satisfied with my switch to Android. I'm cheating a little bit, I use a Mac Mini that is connected 24/7 at my office to use iMessage with BlueBubbles. Other than that I am completely out of the Apple ecosytem and haven't missed a beat.

Handling my wife's iPhone has become cumbersome. I miss keystrokes all the time because the S24+ keyboard is so much more responsive. We're currently abroad in China and translation using WeChat / Google translate happens per keypress as I type. On the iPhone you need to type the whole sentence and then it translates. Google live translate is a Godsend for me here, also faster than iPhone. AliPay and Didi integration for transit work perfectly for me and I was up and running the day after we arrived. My wife, who is Chinese, still can't use Didi because it is different (apparently) on her iPhone and giving us fits. Could be user error, who knows.

I've taken tons of photos and videos. The pause recording feature on my S24+ is so useful. I could go on and on. My point is longtime Apple users really need to give it at least 3-4 months *without* using your iPhone as a crutch or back up. You can't truly gauge the experience by dual wielding, something I've always done until now.

I find the opposite my spare IP15 PM face ID is super annoying having to lift the phone up every time. My Fold 5 fingerprint sensor is far more convenient for my usage with work apps and works flawlessly with all my different banking accounts etc

I guess its what your use to :)
I agree. Face ID is more cumbersome because you have to swipe up to get home. By the time my wife swipes up on her phone I'm already into whatever app we are trying to use on my phone. She's already given up on several occasions and wants me to just press my fps to use my phone.

Password managers are a real chore on Android compared to iOS at initial setup, but once configured properly it works 100% of the time. Banking apps all work flawlessly for me as well.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm still getting along quite well with just my S24+. Had it since launch and sold my 15PM about a month after that. For longtime iOS / iPhone users (I am one of those) it takes a *very* long time to completely adapt. Now that I'm 4+ months in I am 100% satisfied with my switch to Android. I'm cheating a little bit, I use a Mac Mini that is connected 24/7 at my office to use iMessage with BlueBubbles. Other than that I am completely out of the Apple ecosytem and haven't missed a beat.

Handling my wife's iPhone has become cumbersome. I miss keystrokes all the time because the S24+ keyboard is so much more responsive. We're currently abroad in China and translation using WeChat / Google translate happens per keypress as I type. On the iPhone you need to type the whole sentence and then it translates. Google live translate is a Godsend for me here, also faster than iPhone. AliPay and Didi integration for transit work perfectly for me and I was up and running the day after we arrived. My wife, who is Chinese, still can't use Didi because it is different (apparently) on her iPhone and giving us fits. Could be user error, who knows.

I've taken tons of photos and videos. The pause recording feature on my S24+ is so useful. I could go on and on. My point is longtime Apple users really need to give it at least 3-4 months *without* using your iPhone as a crutch or back up. You can't truly gauge the experience by dual wielding, something I've always done until now.

I agree. Face ID is more cumbersome because you have to swipe up to get home. By the time my wife swipes up on her phone I'm already into whatever app we are trying to use on my phone. She's already given up on several occasions and wants me to just press my fps to use my phone.

Password managers are a real chore on Android compared to iOS at initial setup, but once configured properly it works 100% of the time. Banking apps all work flawlessly for me as well.
Yep, I always find the extra swipe up is odd, awkward and unnecessary on Iphone but I thought that was just me not delving further in to settings or something.

My absolute fav was the Note 9 rear sensor, it literally for me was the fastest draw in the west as muscle mem would place my index finger on the rear sensor as I took my phone out of my pocket

It was unlocked and ready even before it was raised past my hips let alone near my face LOL

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I’ve never read a more first world problem in my life. Good grief.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I’ve never read a more first world problem in my life. Good grief.
This is a tech website where people come to discuss tech. This thread is for the S24 series. Since when is it frowned upon to post one's experience in, you know, a thread / discussion specifically created for the topic? Every discussion on this entire website is a first world problem For Flocks Sake. Good grief indeed :rolleyes: .

Last edited:

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
This is a tech website where people come to discuss tech. This thread is for the S24 series. Since when is it frowned upon to post one's experience in, you know, a thread / discussion specifically created for the topic? Good grief indeed :rolleyes: .
Yes, it is, and I’m allowed to respond to that experience. I love Samsung phones. I switch out every other year from iPhone to Samsung because I like to see what Samsung is up to, but this is nonsensical. Something is clearly wrong with her Face ID. It takes me less than a second to get to my Home Screen. Does she have an older iPhone?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Yes, it is, and I’m allowed to respond to that experience. I love Samsung phones. I switch out every other year from iPhone to Samsung because I like to see what Samsung is up to, but this is nonsensical. Something is clearly wrong with her Face ID. It takes me less than a second to get to my Home Screen. Does she have an older iPhone?
She doesn't use her phone with one hand, which would be much quicker re: the swipe to unlock. By the time my phone is in front of me it is already unlocked and ready to go from my finger on the fps. User issue, unique to everyone.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
She doesn't use her phone with one hand, which would be much quicker re: the swipe to unlock. By the time my phone is in front of me it is already unlocked and ready to go from my finger on the fps. User issue, unique to everyone.
I don’t use my phone with one hand either. I have a 15 Pro Max and I’m the proud owner of tiny Smurf hands. If it’s use error, than why are you bashing Face ID as a whole? You say it’s cumbersome. It’s not, at all. I don’t think it could be any simpler. The fingerprint sensor is cool. I like it, but it’s not faster than Face ID. And if your fingers are wet or have too much moisture, there’ll be issues with it trying to read your fingerprint.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I don’t use my phone with one hand either. I have a 15 Pro Max and I’m the proud owner of tiny Smurf hands. If it’s use error, than why are you bashing Face ID as a whole? You say it’s cumbersome. It’s not, at all. I don’t think it could be any simpler. The fingerprint sensor is cool. I like it, but it’s not faster than Face ID. And if your fingers are wet or have too much moisture, there’ll be issues with it trying to read your fingerprint.
I said Face ID is more cumbersome, should've added "for me when it comes to unlocking the phone for quick use." Far cry from bashing Face ID as a whole, which I'm not. Once phone is unlocked and in use, Face ID is unrivaled. Not looking to inflame or argue. :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have a 15 PM as well. FaceID could be simpler. It could unlock and go straight to the home screen. No having to swipe up to get to the home screen. Or at least give people the option in settings to have that option.

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

MacDroid is topnotch

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
MacDroid is topnotch
Yeah, I think it’s the best Android software for the Mac. Something I wish Samsung or Google would have developed, but Samsung has ties with Windows and Google uses Chromebooks.

I feel confident in stating majority folks that use Android, don’t use a Mac. So, I can understand why both are not interested in building a better bridge between the Mac and Android.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I have a 15 PM as well. FaceID could be simpler. It could unlock and go straight to the home screen. No having to swipe up to get to the home screen. Or at least give people the option in settings to have that option.
Yes, I would prefer that. The Pixel used to have this option. You just look at the phone, and it would unlock right to the Home Screen. It was nice.

Reactions: jamezr

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, I think it’s the best Android software for the Mac. Something I wish Samsung or Google would have developed, but Samsung has ties with Windows and Google uses Chromebooks.

I feel confident in stating majority folks that use Android, don’t use a Mac. So, I can understand why both are not interested in building a better bridge between the Mac and Android.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

Me and a bunch of my cronies use Mac's and Android phones. I use Chromebooks, Linux systems and Raspberry Pi's too.

Not that tough skirting the eco$ystem really and, if there were better integration between platforms it would take revenue away from Apple's hammerlock grubby paws.

There won't be motivation for them to do anything in that regard without lawyers dragging their snooty nose through the muck

Reactions: Technerd108

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I've been so tempted to pick up S24U last few days lol but I know one phone would have to go out ..

Reactions: jamezr

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I occasionally check in with Samsung to see what they’re up to, but I’ve always been a Pixel guy at heart. Not that the phones are bad, I just prefer stock Android. That said, if Samsung released a stock Android phone without all the extra crap, I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

jlinn75

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Greenwood, SC
Just a question I’m thinking about picking up the s24 ultra 256gb. I have an iPhone 15 Pro max, Apple Watch, Macbook, iPad mini 6, ipad 11“ pro 3rd gen. what do y’all use the android for that you dont want to use the iPhone or whatever device you have. Just a curious. I like the design and customization of android but I haven’t used an android since the s21 ultra which I ended up selling .. Thank you in advance for some intelligent banter.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Just a question I’m thinking about picking up the s24 ultra 256gb. I have an iPhone 15 Pro max, Apple Watch, Macbook, iPad mini 6, ipad 11“ pro 3rd gen. what do y’all use the android for that you dont want to use the iPhone or whatever device you have. Just a curious. I like the design and customization of android but I haven’t used an android since the s21 ultra which I ended up selling .. Thank you in advance for some intelligent banter.

For me, the primary reason I switched was because my Android Auto worked, but Car Play did not. Also, I was getting bored with Apple's IOS. I am still thinking about getting the Galaxy Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.