Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
If I were to visit China, Russia, Iran, or the other usual suspects, I would buy a cheap, old iPhone model. I would sign into an alias iCloud account and leave my actual phone(s) at my domicile. I would then chuck the iPhone after I return. It's the safest way with these hostile nations.

(Also, make all of your social media private prior to leaving your country.)
Wow! Yes. This is also a good solution.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
It's a pity that you signed up for WeChat and Alipay. WeChat, Weibo and other Chinese social software, whether in China or abroad, are closely monitored and monitored by the Communist Party of China. As a mainland Chinese, my suggestion is: I suggest that you bring your iPhone into mainland China to contact. Android phones (Android is an open source system after all) are easily implanted with Trojan viruses by the Communist Party of China. In addition, it is recommended that you do not talk about any sensitive information in WeChat, including: political, military and various sensitive information seen in China (including that you may see ordinary people protest against the local government, etc.). Of course, the best way is not to log in to your registered WeChat account and log out of it immediately.)

If I were to visit China, Russia, Iran, or the other usual suspects, I would buy a cheap, old iPhone model. I would sign into an alias iCloud account and leave my actual phone(s) at my domicile. I would then chuck the iPhone after I return. It's the safest way with these hostile nations.

(Also, make all of your social media private prior to leaving your country.)
I am not that worried to be honest. My wife is Chinese, I've been using WeChat for years already. Never mention or text anything controversial anyway. The easy way to pay for items out there is AliPay / WeChat because it's all cashless, my credit card doesn't charge international transaction fees. I had to provide my US passport information in order to get high speed transit tickets and for my Chinese visa. They already have my info.

How would they go about injecting a trojan or backdoor access to my phone if they never touch it and I don't install any other apps? I don't plan on getting a local SIM while there either, and will be on VPN the entire time.

Reactions: Neofox

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I am not that worried to be honest. My wife is Chinese, I've been using WeChat for years already. Never mention or text anything controversial anyway. The easy way to pay for items out there is AliPay / WeChat because it's all cashless, my credit card doesn't charge international transaction fees. I had to provide my US passport information in order to get high speed transit tickets and for my Chinese visa. They already have my info.

How would they go about injecting a trojan or backdoor access to my phone if they never touch it and I don't install any other apps? I don't plan on getting a local SIM while there either, and will be on VPN the entire time.
To the latter point: I am not sure, but they have their ways. A Russian American was recently arrested in Russia; Russian authorities found "suspicious" activity on her phone (she contributed to a pro-Ukranian fund) without ever touching her phone, I believe. She's still detained in Russia.

Authoritarian governments are really good with this stuff.

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022

My advice is to be careful. In particular, it is now Xi Jinping's third term. Xi Jinping's third term is to exclude dissidents in the Communist Party of China and forcibly re-elected. He knew that many people in the Communist Party of China and the Chinese people, including abroad, opposed him and were trying to get rid of him. So now he uses all means to monitor and listen to the public. Chinese and foreigners living in mainland China are no exception. They are all within the scope of his monitoring and monitoring.

seoho_ss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
To the latter point: I am not sure, but they have their ways. A Russian American was recently arrested in Russia; Russian authorities found "suspicious" activity on her phone (she contributed to a pro-Ukranian fund) without ever touching her phone, I believe. She's still detained in Russia.

Authoritarian governments are really good with this stuff.
My suggestion is that the best and only chat communication tool at present is iMessage. All Apple devices are very safe at present. iMessage and FaceTime are also end-to-end encrypted transmission, which cannot be cracked. And Apple just upgraded the iMessage encryption protocol not long ago, with better security.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Yep I'm with you , no need to be overly paranoid with this stuff, there are far more risks being a tourist in most countries or cities be it NY, London, Paris, Rome, HK , BKK etc etc

Carrying a spoof phone is equally suspicious and valunrabililites of IPhone thefts and Apple ID are far worse than with Android if you use your safe area to the fullest

Do as any sensible tourist does and exercise caution and abide by local customs and laws

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Yep I'm with you , no need to be overly paranoid with this stuff, there are far more risks being a tourist in most countries or cities be it NY, London, Paris, Rome, HK , BKK etc etc

Carrying a spoof phone is equally suspicious and valunrabililites of IPhone thefts and Apple ID are far worse than with Android if you use your safe area to the fullest

Do as any sensible tourist does and exercise caution and abide by local customs and laws
My thoughts exactly. They had my info as soon as I applied for a Chinese visa before. I'm not leaving my common sense at home. If for some reason they need to inspect my phone upon arrival (seriously doubt it'll happen) I will just factory reset it when I get home.

The only spoof phone I'd carry is if I cave and stroll into a Xiaomi store and buy one 😂 .

Reactions: SteveJUAE

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
The one thing that really bothers me about Samsung is the company's lack of attention to detail in its software; this is the one thing that really sets Apple apart from every other phone manufacturer.

I have a lot of examples of this issue in OneUI, but the one issue that has driven me crazy for years is the lack of bottom padding in the status bar under the camera cutout. See the image below. It drives my OCD nuts. Pixel UI does not do this with the status bar; it has the proper padding amount that makes the entire status bar text.

I'm a stickler for good, symmetrical design, and I wish Samsung (and Google--lots of inconsistencies in Pixel UI as well) would hire me to fix every design inconsistency in its UI. Apple isn't perfect and iOS has inconsistencies as well, but they are more subtle.

This really just bothers me. I know my OCD adds to my frustration, but c'mon!! Even if Samsung intentionally did this for more real estate, doesn't this annoy them?? Ohhhhh, man, my OCD is flaring up just looking at that attachment, lmao. 😭

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_234412_Aurelian.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_234412_Aurelian.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 62

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I know I sound like a broken record, but the non-reflective matte screen on the S24 Ultra, really is a game changer for me, it looks so dang good, that I can't get another phone unless it has a similar type display tech.

Sure hope the Pixel 9 Pro has this same type of screen.
once you get used to it it's hard using other phones. one plus open has something similar. don't think it's the same as s24 ultra.

doubt pixel gets it this year though. iPhone isn't said to have it until next year.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So it seems Galaxy AI is coming to S22 series also. That's great news. Samsung is really improving with their software support. Of course, this is good for them if they are planning to charge for this service also.

I hope to get great software support for the S24 series in the long run. The hardware is top notch.

Reactions: yui4

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I'm surprisingly using the Summarize AI quite often in Samsung Internet. It's pretty darn accurate. I like that there is a detailed summary as well.

Also, I can't live without Circle to Search. I use it a lot.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
once you get used to it it's hard using other phones. one plus open has something similar. don't think it's the same as s24 ultra.

doubt pixel gets it this year though. iPhone isn't said to have it until next year.
I highly doubt Pixel will get it as well with the 9 series. Don't phone manufacturers have the production parts set in stone about a year before production even begins?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The one thing that really bothers me about Samsung is the company's lack of attention to detail in its software; this is the one thing that really sets Apple apart from every other phone manufacturer.

I have a lot of examples of this issue in OneUI, but the one issue that has driven me crazy for years is the lack of bottom padding in the status bar under the camera cutout. See the image below. It drives my OCD nuts. Pixel UI does not do this with the status bar; it has the proper padding amount that makes the entire status bar text.

I'm a stickler for good, symmetrical design, and I wish Samsung (and Google--lots of inconsistencies in Pixel UI as well) would hire me to fix every design inconsistency in its UI. Apple isn't perfect and iOS has inconsistencies as well, but they are more subtle.

This really just bothers me. I know my OCD adds to my frustration, but c'mon!! Even if Samsung intentionally did this for more real estate, doesn't this annoy them?? Ohhhhh, man, my OCD is flaring up just looking at that attachment, lmao. 😭
I think your throwing stones in a glass house with this one LOL

I am not sure why you even have a black bar there :) my backgrounds go to the top

You only have to go to the settings page on say your IP15PM to see similar asymmetric padding under the pill on the word settings :rolleyes:. Let alone the apps library weird icon arrangements

I think your OCD has become selective :D

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Does anyone here watch any youtubers or listen to any podcasts when it comes to Samsung/Android? When I had the Iphone, I followed Zollotech every week. What is the Android equivalent?

Reactions: Tig Bitties

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I think your throwing stones in a glass house with this one LOL

I am not sure why you even have a black bar there :) my backgrounds go to the top

You only have to go to the settings page on say your IP15PM to see similar asymmetric padding under the pill on the word settings :rolleyes:. Let alone the apps library weird icon arrangements

I think your OCD has become selective :D
Literally in my post: "Apple isn't perfect and iOS has inconsistencies as well"

Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.