Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I like my iPhone SE 3. Unfortunately the best current price here and it is the 64GB model is the Euro equivalent of USD 565 (includes VAT of 24%).
Yep, here in Europe it is still expensive, that’s why I ended up in a second-hand store to purchase it. Fortunately, it is new (open box) because according to Coconut Battery, it had only 2 cycles. And Apple warranty until February.

But yes, if this phone would have been a bit cheaper, I’d have bought it new from Apple.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have an unpopular opinion about kids having an (usually unsupervised) Internet access at such early ages, but I guess that’s already normalized.
We waiting until the start of High School. The main reason for buying it is to enable her to keep in touch with former classmates. I have also setup parental controls for app installs and the amount of time spent on the phone. Surprisingly, she pretty much only use it for gaming and is, for not, not interested in social media or chatting.

Reactions: Populus

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have an unpopular opinion about kids having an (usually unsupervised) Internet access at such early ages, but I guess that’s already normalized.

Parental controls do a great job of restricting that. My grandkids are allowed access to approved sites only, and those have to be physically allowed by the parent. I think they have about ten sites they are allowed to visit, and it even restricts within that - you can’t just jump off one into another. Trust me, we’ve tried it. ;-p

They have had iPads for a while for home schooling, so we have perfected the parental control thing!

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
We waiting until the start of High School. The main reason for buying it is to enable her to keep in touch with former classmates. I have also setup parental controls for app installs and the amount of time spent on the phone. Surprisingly, she pretty much only use it for gaming and is, for not, not interested in social media or chatting.

Yeah social media is a no-go for my grandkids also, and since we have it set to where parents have to approve and allow downloads, it’s not like they can sneak that in. I say we because I helped set up the parental control stuff for my daughters’ kids since I’m the one who always reads the forums and gets the info. Lol

Reactions: compwiz1202

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Just bear in mind that for generation Z, social media is also hanging out with friends and chatting in Fortnite and Roblox, rather than using Instagram, Facebook or Tiktok.

Right, and they do have a few friends (people they know in person) on those (well only my grandson plays Fortnite on his switch). Their ability to add friends in the games can also be limited through parental controls.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Second day with my iPhone SE 3, I’m amazed with the average of 7 hours of screen-on time, with a mixed use of Wi-Fi, 5G and navigation/GPS.

IMG_0102.jpeg

7:12h screen-on time
3:45h screen-off time

Also the nostalgia factor? Because 7 years ago my iPhone was an original 2016 SE, and now my iPhone is a 2022 SE.

I love LCD screens, and if Apple made an SE 4 with an LCD screen (doubtful) I would probably buy it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Another report from my new SE3: this device keeps giving me lots of joy. With my iPhone 8 I had to charge it after half a day. With this SE 3, I consistently get 8 hours of screen-on time, plus some few more of screen-off time (podcasts, radio…). I’m really amazed.

Last night, I went to bed with less than a 50%, well today I had to do a trip, so I got into the car with just a 38%… then I enabled low power mode, because I was going to use the GPS navigator of Apple Maps. I knew, from experience with my iPhone 8, that turn to turn GPS navigation eats the battery at a fast pace. But then, I arrived to my destination (1 hour trip) with still 25%.

Now it’s almost midnight here, and I’m still using the remaining 10% to write my replies on MacRumors.

I’m absolutely amazed by this battery life on iOS 16.6.1, but at the same time, I know that whenever I update to iOS 17 I’m gonna notice a worse battery life.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone running IOS 17.0.3 on SE3. How is it compared to ios 16.

Right now im consider getting a SE3. My current SE2 must I charge at least 2 times a day running 17.0.3.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I don’t want to repeat myself, but I’m truly amazed at how, not only the phone itself is so efficient, but the modem itself.

I thought the Qualcomm x57 was a modification of an old 5G modem such as the x55. And I don’t know if it is (if anyone has technical information about this modem please share it, there’s a lot of secrecy around this custom made modem), but my God it is very efficient!!!

For context: I’m on the countryside, far from the city, far from my home WiFi, and usually, using just data on non urban locations (where the coverage is worse) drained the battery a lot. This was the case with my 2016 iPhone SE, and my iPhone 8 (with an Intel modem). The phone would get hot, the 4G/LTE coverage was poor on some spots, and the battery drained way way faster.

Now, I’m on the same town/village, on the countryside, and… I just can’t believe it! First of all, I have 5G coverage everywhere! No drops, maybe lower signal strength on some spots (two bars or even just one), but the iPhone SE 3 never gets hot. Well, it gets a bit hotter with some clunky website or badly encoded 1080p YouTube video, but it is rare.

I charged this phone nearly 40h ago, I’ve spent two nights listening to podcasts with the phone locked, and all the day of yesterday, and I’m still at 12%. It is true that I’m using low power mode since yesterday evening, I enabled it at 35%, but still, it amazes me especially because I’m only using 5G.

I had Automatic 5G until a few days ago, when I switched from Automatic 5G to 5G Enabled, making it use just the 5G network. And maybe the 700MHz band (with better indoors penetration) is providing me this better coverage even inside the house, but wow, this is amazing.

I never, ever imagined that a 5G smartphone would be more efficient than a 4G/LTE one.

I don’t care too much if this Qualcomm X57 is a derivative from an old 2020 X55 modem, although I admit I’m really curious, but the efficiency is really amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku

knirirr

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
I bought one of these recently.
It felt very responsive and it was nice to have 5G connectivity in those few areas where it's available, but that's all that could be said in favour of it.
The screen and battery were smaller than I'd like. Also, it didn't seem like very good value for the price I had to pay, i.e. £579. If, for that price, 512GB storage was offered or the price were dropped by at least £150 it might be worth reconsidering.
For now, it's back to the 8+, returning the SE3 for a refund.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I hope they keep that design with the Home button for SE4! While I'd very much like to get-in with their latest and greatest camera tech (read: iPhone 15 Pro Max), phone usability trumps those desires for me. Perhaps they could provide the same "home button" multi-functionality to their new side button?! Buttons for the win for me! :)

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m getting an average of 8 hours on a single charge, and I’m pretty happy with it. Also now I can use GPS navigation without dramatically draining the battery. When I had my iPhone 8, the battery would drain like crazy when doing map navigation. Now, one hour of GPS navigation only drains a 7 or 8% of battery.

As I said, I’m really happy with this purchase, one of the best I’ve ever made!

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’m getting an average of 8 hours on a single charge, and I’m pretty happy with it. Also now I can use GPS navigation without dramatically draining the battery. When I had my iPhone 8, the battery would drain like crazy when doing map navigation. Now, one hour of GPS navigation only drains a 7 or 8% of battery.

As I said, I’m really happy with this purchase, one of the best I’ve ever made!
I’ve only heard bad things about the SoT for the SE3. The problem I have with that is likely due to reviewers getting used to the superior battery life of the iPhone 13 and later, which absolutely does trump the SE3 by a large margin. The SE3, when compared to its predecessors, the 8 and SE2, does provide a big improvement which I don’t think many are giving it enough credit for.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I’ve only heard bad things about the SoT for the SE3. The problem I have with that is likely due to reviewers getting used to the superior battery life of the iPhone 13 and later, which absolutely does trump the SE3 by a large margin. The SE3, when compared to its predecessors, the 8 and SE2, does provide a big improvement which I don’t think many are giving it enough credit for.

That’s probably true post iOS 17. But when I had the SE3 for a couple of months in mid-2022, the SoT was respectable for its size. On a good day I could get 7+ hours before reaching 20% in battery.

Reactions: Andeddu

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah, in my case, I don’t use any meta app, I don’t like social media, and I use my iPhone for listening to music, watching YouTube on Safari, reading blogs like MacRumors, consulting the weather forecast, voice calls, taking pictures, maps and map navigation… in short, I use it like a smart-phone, for whatever I need on the go, and not like a media consumption or media generation device. For that, I have my iPad and my Mac.

That’s probably true post iOS 17. But when I had the SE3 for a couple of months in mid-2022, the SoT was respectable for its size. On a good day I could get 7+ hours before reaching 20% in battery.

Damn, now I’m afraid of updating this SE to iOS 17. I think I’ll stay on iOS 16 for a long time… and it’s a pity because iOS 17 has lots of quality of life improvements.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yeah, in my case, I don’t use any meta app, I don’t like social media, and I use my iPhone for listening to music, watching YouTube on Safari, reading blogs like MacRumors, consulting the weather forecast, voice calls, taking pictures, maps and map navigation… in short, I use it like a smart-phone, for whatever I need on the go, and not like a media consumption or media generation device. For that, I have my iPad and my Mac.

Damn, now I’m afraid of updating this SE to iOS 17. I think I’ll stay on iOS 16 for a long time… and it’s a pity because iOS 17 has lots of quality of life improvements.
The larger phones are much better as smartphones and general media devices so they do require extra charge. I use my 13 for all media apps such as YouTube, Prime, Disney+ and Netflix along with a lot of web-browsing and everything else you’ve mentioned. I barely use my iPads anymore as they are too big to use comfortably.

The SE3 is too small a device to carry a larger battery therefore it wouldn’t be a very suitable device for someone like me as it would definitely run out of charge prior to the end of my day.

Reactions: Barbareren

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yes, you’re probably right. All I ever see are complaints. The small capacity 2018 mAh battery in the SE3 pales in comparison to the 13’s 3227 mAh battery. I wouldn’t be able to live with the SE3 even on iOS 16. I’d need a battery pack or something.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The larger phones are much better as smartphones and general media devices so they do require extra charge. I use my 13 for all media apps such as YouTube, Prime, Disney+ and Netflix along with a lot of web-browsing and everything else you’ve mentioned. I barely use my iPads anymore as they are too big to use comfortably.

The SE3 is too small a device to carry a larger battery therefore it wouldn’t be a very suitable device for someone like me as it would definitely run out of charge prior to the end of my day.
No no, I said I don’t use my mobile phone for media consumption or generation. That includes Disney+, HBO Max, Netflix… for all of that, I use my iPad or mac. In the case of YouTube, I often use it on audio-only mode, that’s why I save some battery here and there.

That’s why I used the word “smart-phone” and not smartphone, because nowadays people use their smartphones like small computers. I don’t, I use if as a communication device (like writing this on the butcher’s, with one hand, while I wait my turn, while on my other hand I hold the rest of the groceries). Today I saw everyone on the bus, busy with their giant smartphones, holding them and writing with both of their hands… otherwise, impossible. That’s then I thought: “The SE3… my goodness, I don’t know what I’ll do when all the iPhone will be bigger”.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
No no, I said I don’t use my mobile phone for media consumption or generation. That includes Disney+, HBO Max, Netflix… for all of that, I use my iPad or mac. In the case of YouTube, I often use it on audio-only mode, that’s why I save some battery here and there.

That’s why I used the word “smart-phone” and not smartphone, because nowadays people use their smartphones like small computers. I don’t, I use if as a communication device (like writing this on the butcher’s, with one hand, while I wait my turn, while on my other hand I hold the rest of the groceries). Today I saw everyone on the bus, busy with their giant smartphones, holding them and writing with both of their hands… otherwise, impossible. That’s then I thought: “The SE3… my goodness, I don’t know what I’ll do when all the iPhone will be bigger”.
Haha, I think you mis-read my post. I said that larger phones, such as the mainline iPhones, are better used as all purpose media devices whereas the SE line is more of a communications tool due to the smaller screen and battery size.

The SE3 has 1/3 less battery than my 13 and, even then, I sometimes require the MagSafe battery pack which provides an additional 50% charge. I couldn’t comfortably use the SE3 as I would have to adapt to the limitations of the phone. The point was that most reviewers who were complaining about the SE3’s battery were using the phone more like I use it rather than how you use it.

The SE3 would struggle to last any real length of time scrolling on social media apps such as Instagram which is known to be a real battery hog.

It’s still a great device though but probably not suitable for most heavier users now that most of us have replaced our other devices with our phones. That’s why MacBook and iPad sales are down a lot… I think it’s to do with phones being such amazing all purpose computing devices.

I have recently purchased a new M1 MacBook Air and have barely used it because my 13 provides such a great user experience.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
Picked up a SE 3rd gen in Starlight brand new for $150 and paired it with a Midnight Blue leather case for another $12. It’s locked to TracFone for 2 months but you only have to buy one cheap plan and don’t have to renew it and then you can use it wherever.

Honestly for this price, it is impossible to want for more. I tried the Mini and I liked it a lot but my eyes didn’t agree with it. Not sure why. Regardless, I hope it makes a comeback with 120hz in the future.

Anyway, really liking this SE, it feels like a “classic” design that still doesn’t look outdated in my opinion. Strongly considering selling my 14 Pro and just using it full time. It feels like I’m cheating to have this much power for $150 in such a light and wieldy phone.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m reading some tests that point that A15 devices have improved their battery life with iOS 17.1, could anyone with an SE3 confirm that battery life has improved to almost iOS 16 level? Thank you.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
I love the SE’s comfort and size but the battery life is so bad and it doesn’t support the Apple MagSafe charger so you’re always trying to find a charger. It was stressful. Returned it but miss the lightness and comfort.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Could I ask you a little favor? Only for the SE3 owners.

Could you please list your current modem firmware version along with your iOS version, and the data (MM/YY) when you purchased it?

I’m seeing a weird thing and I need to confirm that the SE3 has been using two different modems.

Thank you.

PS: to see the modem firmware version on your SE3, just go to Settings app -> General -> Info -> scroll down until you see the modem firmware, right below the WiFi and Bluetooth address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.