Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
We don't experience the same battery drain as you do. To me, there are 2 possible causes:

1. Bad battery
2. There is an App on your phone that runs in the background and it drains the battery.

To check if it is an app, wipe the phone back to factory settings, don't install any other Apps, then put in your SIM card and monitor the battery drain. If it still drains fast with no extra apps installed, then you do have a bad phone/battery. If there is no parasitic drain, then it is most likely an app that you installed and it drains the battery.
Yeah, thanks. I was just thinking of doing a factory restore but came here to see if anything new came up.
I'm going to go do that now.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Why is the headphone jack such as issue? I've got a little adapter that plugs into the lightning port and has a standard headphone jack on the other end. I just leave my headphones pugged into it and plug the whole thing into the phone when I want to use headphones.
When I was still using wired headphone/earphone, it’s nice to be able to charge n listen at the same time.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
So a followup. I've had the phone since Saturday. Yesterday I turned off almost all Siri Suggestions, lowered the screen brightness and left the SE overnight without pressing the home button to turn on the screen. I have no social media running in the background. From 8:15pm last night till 8:15am this morning, the phone remained on 100%. So I guess any indexing must be done(?)

In the 3 hours since then, I used the phone to make 3 half minute calls, checked email a couple of times, surfed Safari for about 5 minutes and randomly started a few apps, closed them out and didn't do much of anything that I thought could drain the battery.
The result is that the phone is now down to 90%.

Tell me if I am wrong but to me it looks like either there is something wrong or the battery life in this phone is dreadful.

The first 10% (give or take) is usually the fastest to go due to how the battery technology works.

Also, at that rate, if you keep up that light usage, you'll get 27 hours out of it before you hit 10% remaining. So that actually might not be too bad overall.

One thing you might try for a few days - just turn off the battery percentage, try not to pay attention to it, and see what happens when you're using it without worrying about it. I know (personally) that's easier said than done, but it's really a better gauge of how good it will be for your normal usage, rather than trying to micro manage it into behaving how you want. ;)

Edit: It's by no means a battery rock star, but it's significantly better than previous SE's, and relative to other phones its size (and its battery size), I would call it "solid".

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
The first 10% (give or take) is usually the fastest to go due to how the battery technology works.

Also, at that rate, if you keep up that light usage, you'll get 27 hours out of it before you hit 10% remaining. So that actually might not be too bad overall.

One thing you might try for a few days - just turn off the battery percentage, try not to pay attention to it, and see what happens when you're using it without worrying about it. I know (personally) that's easier said than done, but it's really a better gauge of how good it will be for your normal usage, rather than trying to micro manage it into behaving how you want. ;)

Edit: It's by no means a battery rock star, but it's significantly better than previous SE's, and relative to other phones its size (and its battery size), I would call it "solid".
Thanks for the tips.
After I did the factory reset, I manually installed everything, this time rather than have the phone connect to my other phone and migrate everything. This time at least, I am not seeing the battery drain during non use as I was before. As a matter of fact, I can take it off the charger and it will stay at 100% for at least 9 or 10 hours of standby.
While it's as you say no rock star, I guess it will do for my purposes as a second phone.
Thanks again and to all who responded.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
This gets overlooked a lot. The Mini's screen has a very "squeezed" aspect ratio that some find uncomfortable to use. While the screen to body ratio of the SE line is lower, it's a more natural aspect ratio.
Actually coming from 6 yr use of a OG SE, and now 2 weeks use of a 13 Mini, admittedly it did take some getting used to. Now I'm actually liking seeing more of the Calendar, chats, Reminders, etc. But yes, such a different aspect ratio.

Edit: it got me thinking that it truly does look out of the common proportions usually seen. The perfect ratio might just be if it started just below the notch? So really it also depends if one-handed use is an important feature or not. It is for me and my use but also having that assured grip I'd become used to with the 1. Gen SE., less drop proof. And you're right, it doesn't get mentioned much in reviews, if ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: jntdroid

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
But, truth be told, I still think mini is too big; while you can COMFORTABLY and EASILY reach the top of the screen with a thumb on the SE.
Naked, it just gets there for one-handed use I find (2 weeks with Mini). Well I did buy the Apple silicone case but this made the whole thing even wider and I needed to constantly adjust the hold on it. Although the protection offered is probably quite good, I saw the risk of dropping it for exactly this reason. Test driving the Apple clear case now it's a more positive hold, less width than the silicone case, admittedly slipperier and offering less protection (especially the open port/ speaker/ screen area). Coming from an OG SE since 2016.

Reactions: JM

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
So a followup. I've had the phone since Saturday. Yesterday I turned off almost all Siri Suggestions, lowered the screen brightness and left the SE overnight without pressing the home button to turn on the screen. I have no social media running in the background. From 8:15pm last night till 8:15am this morning, the phone remained on 100%. So I guess any indexing must be done(?)

In the 3 hours since then, I used the phone to make 3 half minute calls, checked email a couple of times, surfed Safari for about 5 minutes and randomly started a few apps, closed them out and didn't do much of anything that I thought could drain the battery.
The result is that the phone is now down to 90%.

Tell me if I am wrong but to me it looks like either there is something wrong or the battery life in this phone is dreadful.
Took my 14PM a week and half to settle down. Probably almost two.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey folks, iPhone 8 user here.

After trying several times the iPhone 13 mini, and failing at keeping it because of the OLED screen’s PWM, I’m considering the iPhone SE 2022. I have seen a pretty sweet deal at 250-300€ from a user that bought it three months ago from an Apple Store.

So, my question is as follows: what I’m lacking if I get the SE 2022 compared to the 13, 14 and upcoming 15 lineup?

What iOS 16 features will I be missing? Aside from a much better camera, the ultra-wide camera, Face ID and battery life. Aside from those things, is there any iOS 16 feature that isn’t available on the SE? Just like the night mode on the camera.

Thank you.

PS: don’t you feel a bit cramped the new Lock Screen on the 4,7” screen? Please be honest.

Reactions: uller6

theriddler

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2011
UK

After trying several times the iPhone 13 mini, and failing at keeping it because of the OLED screen’s PWM, I’m considering the iPhone SE 2022. I have seen a pretty sweet deal at 250-300€ from a user that bought it three months ago from an Apple Store.

So, my question is as follows: what I’m lacking if I get the SE 2022 compared to the 13, 14 and upcoming 15 lineup?

What iOS 16 features will I be missing? Aside from a much better camera, the ultra-wide camera, Face ID and battery life. Aside from those things, is there any iOS 16 feature that isn’t available on the SE? Just like the night mode on the camera.

Thank you.

PS: don’t you feel a bit cramped the new Lock Screen on the 4,7” screen? Please be honest.
The NeuralCam camera app has night mode.

Reactions: Populus

du57in

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022

Thank you.

I haven't felt cramped at all on my SE 2020, but I don't know any better as I've never used anything from the 12 Mini on (briefly used a 12 Mini and returned it because the screen was wretched).

Regarding missing anything, I believe it's all A12 or later. So SE 2022 should be fine.

Reactions: Populus

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I'd probably call the SE3 a perfect device if it had a headphone jack. But without that, I'm still loyal to my iPhone 6S – which for all daily purposes is the same thing.
Agreed. I’d call the 6s the best iteration of the 4.7-inch design, just like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is the best iteration of the original iPad design.

Battery life is the most quoted issue with the 6s, but comparing apples to apples, battery life seems quite similar according to the SE 3 real-world numbers I’ve seen. That is, an iPhone 6s running iOS 9 or 10 and an SE 3 running iOS 15. And the 6s has a headphone jack, like you said.

Heavy users will struggle with both: a 6s on iOS 10 and an SE 3 on iOS 15, but for light to moderate users, battery life is enough.

The camera is the only significant advantage of the SE 3.

Reactions: mectojic

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
I bought an iPhone 8 as a cheap backup device to use temporarily. After getting used to it over the last week I’m loving the size & weight. It sits easily in one hand with no fatigue, slips into a pocket and I have to sometimes check it’s still there lol

The downsides are its aging internals, performance, battery life & camera quality.

After not even being on my radar and using the iPhone 8 I’m now seriously considering getting the SE3, it will address all of the issues mentioned above whilst still being compact & easy for one handed use.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Going to pick up a couple of these now that they are $149.99 at StraightTalk wireless.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Used a SE2 for about 6 months then went to a 13 mini. Thinking of going back to an SE3 for the hell of it. Tried a 14 PM for a week about a week ago and that large of a phone is not for me so I returned it. I held the SE3 in store when returning the 14 PM and almost took one home. It’s a great phone for the price and I do love nostalgia. It’s sort of a resto-mod; old reused chassis with upgraded internals.

Last edited:
Reactions: flawless11

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi.

I’m now the owner, and user, of an iPhone SE 3. This is a great device, I’m very happy with it, and the performance is very good.

The only thing I don’t quite like, is the torch LED. It is greenish, especially compared to my old iPhone 8, which has a gorgeous white torch LED.

But I guess that’s not the main function of an iPhone, right? Also, it still makes light, greenish, but light after all, and when taking pictures the flash looks white.

Aside from the torch, the iPhone behaves as expected from an iPhone 13 with a much smaller res screen: super snappy, quick and responsive. Maybe not when taking pictures in the dark, but I guess even the iPhone 14 takes its time to take a picture in the dark.

Everything else is smooth-sailing for now. I’ve been taking pictures in the dark, setting up the phone, selectively activating the location services… for an hour. And from 100% of battery, I’m still with 91% remaining.

This is a great device, and I’ve also had good luck with the LCD display, which seems more quality than my previous iPhone 8. Some previous displays I’ve had, such as the 5S, the original SE or the iPhone 8, had all of them some sort of moire effect on color gray and translucent items such as the control center. However, this is the first LCD that greys don’t show that effect and colors look solid, despite the screen having a warmer tone, it is really gorgeous.

It is lightweight. It is comfortable to use one hand, just like my iPhone 8. It is sturdy and tough, something good for someone like me who drops occasionally their smartphone (after many drops, my iPhone 8 is still rocking strong).

Very happy overall. If only I could take the torch LEDs from the iPhone 8 and replace them on the SE3…

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I was looking at it today at an Apple Store. It really is a great phone at a good price. It’s probably a little too small for me to be a daily phone. I still love its classic look, I wish they offered an upgraded 8 Plus as an SE Plus.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I was looking at it today at an Apple Store. It really is a great phone at a good price. It’s probably a little too small for me to be a daily phone. I still love its classic look, I wish they offered an upgraded 8 Plus as an SE Plus.
For me, the definitive push towards getting this SE 3 (which I bought as an open box, but it is actually new, only 2 battery cycles) was handing the new iPhone 15… they are even larger than the 14, so I decided I’m not comfortable with that size.

Coming from an iPhone 8, I feel right at home, but the device feels like an iPhone 8 on steroids. Super fast, very responsive, and more energy efficient: Right now, it’s at 84% of battery, after two hours using it almost non stop, installing apps and setting the phone up.

I’m seriously considering getting another one, a 128GB one.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I just picked up an SE3 for my granddaughter. AT&T had a deal for $2/month and the phone line for $10 if added to my plan. I couldn't pass it up. It's a great little phone, and my daughter had been wanting to get her a working phone for the times she's away from home. Even paying for the booger for 36 months, I'm only paying $72 for the phone. Not too bad!

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My first day with my iPhone SE 3 (iOS 16.6.1), not spectacular battery, but not bad either:

IMG_0097.jpeg

7:30 hours of screen-on time
4 hours of screen-off time (listening to the radio)

With a 3% remaining, I have to say that I haven’t used the low power mode, just to test the battery life without it. The activity includes an hour of exterior use with 5G enabled, and several songs on Apple Music, the rest is web browsing and Chat GPT over WiFi. Oh, and several phone calls.

I’m pretty satisfied for now. Although I managed to get almost 10 hours out of the 13 mini (with iOS 15), but I know this phone has a smaller battery, so not bad.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I just picked up an SE3 for my granddaughter. AT&T had a deal for $2/month and the phone line for $10 if added to my plan. I couldn't pass it up. It's a great little phone, and my daughter had been wanting to get her a working phone for the times she's away from home. Even paying for the booger for 36 months, I'm only paying $72 for the phone. Not too bad!
That is a very good deal you got. Congratulation to you! 😊She must be very happy to get a working phone! Congratulation to her as well!😊

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Insane deal. I purchased an SE2 for my 11 year old daughter and GF this summer. Fantastic phones. Light, neural engine enables them to create stickers.

Most impotanly the phone runs Roblox without lag or crashing. Neither are photo/video buffs. Therefore the latest iPhones would have been overkill.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have an unpopular opinion about kids having an (usually unsupervised) Internet access at such early ages, but I guess that’s already normalized.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I like my iPhone SE 3. Unfortunately the best current price here and it is the 64GB model is the Euro equivalent of USD 565 (includes VAT of 24%).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.