Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Nah, the 2022/2020 SE/8 design is dated and no longer relevant today. The tiny battery size it can hold is no longer acceptable for today's normal smartphone usage. The rest can be excused, but the battery is just not pass any muster today, especially at the price Apple is charging.

For the price Apple is charging the 2022 SE in my country, one can get a Galaxy S21FE, with better camera, larger battery, and larger storage. Even the iPhone 11 is cheaper than the SE over here. The value proposition for the SE is literally just the Apple brand.
And iOS…

And dependability…

Last edited:
Reactions: Chidoro

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I have no reason to want one, but I really kind of do. I’d like to replace an aging bedside iPod touch and  TV remote and let me keep the classic form factor as a novelty.

I figure I'll grab a 13 Mini next year before they end production to replace my 7th gen iPod touch - the size is similar, and I'll be buying years more software support.

1o6fmoo7myo61.jpg

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
And iOS…

And dependability…
Context, my country, Indonesia.
iOS is surely has its uniqueness, but many features/services are exclusive to developed markets. We don't even have Apple News app. Siri cannot speak Indonesian (Google Assistant can). Nobody use iMessage, and Apple Maps is useless as well. So even an iPhone user will mostly rely on Google and Whatsapp. Worse, since the top 3 carriers here don't support eSIM, iPhones are practically just single SIM devices (in a market where dual SIM is almost a necessity).

Some people like me who are more privacy aware will at least have some value on an iPhone, but most people will wonder why should they pay Apple $500+ for such a dated looking phone with such poor battery life and low storage (64GB). Those who must have iPhone will just get the 12 and up. The others will get much better and modern looking Android for less. In context, you can get a Galaxy S21FE with 256GB storage around that price.

But of course, that's a regionalized perspective. Considering the SE will be basically a free/cheap phones on contract/prepaid carriers in countries like the US, maybe it's not a bad deal.

Last edited:

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
It's o.k., I guess. I didn't particularly like the design when they introduced it with the iphone 6 in 2014 and they haven't changed it much since then. I also can't believe they still take €550 for that. Featurewise, it's probably the worst phone in it's price-bracket by a long margin.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Context, my country, Indonesia.
iOS is surely has its uniqueness, but many features/services are exclusive to developed markets. We don't even have Apple News app. Siri cannot speak Indonesian (Google Assistant can). Nobody use iMessage, and Apple Maps is useless as well. So even an iPhone user will mostly rely on Google and Whatsapp. Worse, since the top 3 carriers here don't support eSIM, iPhones are practically just single SIM devices (in a market where dual SIM is almost a necessity).

Some people like me who are more privacy aware will at least have some value on an iPhone, but most people will wonder why should they pay Apple $500+ for such a dated looking phone with such poor battery life and low storage (64GB). Those who must have iPhone will just get the 12 and up. The others will get much better and modern looking Android for less. In context, you can get a Galaxy S21FE with 256GB storage around that price.

But of course, that's a regionalized perspective. Considering the SE will be basically a free/cheap phones on contract/prepaid carriers in countries like the US, maybe it's not a bad deal.
Good point. I’m in the US, and what you say has merit.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
It's o.k., I guess. I didn't particularly like the design when they introduced it with the iphone 6 in 2014 and they haven't changed it much since then. I also can't believe they still take €550 for that. Featurewise, it's probably the worst phone in it's price-bracket by a long margin.
When I was buying SE2 two years ago, larger half of price was covered by promo coupon from the bank. That was a good bang for a buck.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I figure I'll grab a 13 Mini next year before they end production to replace my 7th gen iPod touch - the size is similar, and I'll be buying years more software support.

1o6fmoo7myo61.jpg
the only thing I don't like about the Mini is battery life.
My father has a 13 Mini, and battery life is enough to push him next cycle to Android.
(also his car now has both Android Auto and CarPlay)

Sorry for posting twice about Android in this thread... I'm done

Reactions: compwiz1202

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
My father has a 13 Mini, and battery life is enough to push him next cycle to Android.

Yeah, I've been in dilemma whether I should upgrade to the 13 mini or not. Battery life can be a huge deal breaker for me now that I put more thoughts into it.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Can be same for Android; make sure you get one with a good battery life. But then will you need to go big again?

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Can be same for Android; make sure you get one with a good battery life. But then will you need to go big again?
as per above, battery on the A53 is magical. I thought three days, but now I'm seeing up to 4-5 days.
That's crazy.
Charging is also taking me 15 minutes to go from 90-100%.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
The picture processing of SE3’s newer chip will destroy the 8. I am really impressed by the photos it takes.

Ditto. I've actually preferred the photos to some of my wife's 13 photos due to the occasional overly aggressive HDR affect the 12 (and newer) line seems to put in photos. That said, I do occasionally miss night mode, and while nitpicky, there are times when the older lens hardware shows.

Reactions: Saturn007 and JM

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I daily drive an SE3 alongside my Pro Max (SE is work phone) and I love the form factor - very pocketable, although not as great for media and text consumption. Would love an SE size with a full coverage screen - Like my beloved Mini (RIP)

Irrelevant to this thread - how is your work/personal phone setup? Do you just carry them both around all the time? Or are they synced up at all?

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Is the 2022 SE's photo processing significantly faster or better than the iPhone 8? I know the processor is faster, but the lens has the same specs. The 2022 SE does look really nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorgo † and JM

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Is the 2022 SE's photo processing significantly faster or better than the iPhone 8? I know the processor is faster, but the lens has the same specs. The 2022 SE does look really nice.
It definitely looks better and benefits from all the A15 improvements. It seems quicker too. It’s impressive that the same camera sensor can yield noticeably better results, and I don’t think that’s an area of the iPhone that Apple had to improve.

Reactions: snipr125

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
SE2022 has all the neural processing as the current iPhone (13? 12?) regardless, it’s not the lens but the processing of the image that really boosts the photos.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yeah, I've been in dilemma whether I should upgrade to the 13 mini or not. Battery life can be a huge deal breaker for me now that I put more thoughts into it.
The 13 mini has the same battery life, and maybe even slightly better than a 6.1” iPhone 12, so you could use this as a reference guide (Utube have battery test videos showing this).

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
Nah, the 2022/2020 SE/8 design is dated and no longer relevant today. The tiny battery size it can hold is no longer acceptable for today's normal smartphone usage. The rest can be excused, but the battery is just not pass any muster today, especially at the price Apple is charging.

For the price Apple is charging the 2022 SE in my country, one can get a Galaxy S21FE, with better camera, larger battery, and larger storage. Even the iPhone 11 is cheaper than the SE over here. The value proposition for the SE is literally just the Apple brand.
I have no idea what you're talking about? The design is fine and well-proven. The phone fits in my hand and in my pocket. Sure, the phone isn't the latest & greatest, but it's mature and enough hardware for me. I use my 2022 SE daily starting around 7 am and usually put the phone down at midnight with ~30% battery remaining. The battery is fine for what I do all day, which to be honest hasn't changed much in the past 10 years. Phone, text, e-mail, slack, Remote Desktop, occasional web surfing. I am usually around a computer instead and prefer to use Mac OS over iOS when possible.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Am I missing something? The design team has almost nothing to do with this. It's the same phone as the 8, which came out half a decade before.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.