Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I started using an Apple II when it was new, my next machine was the Mac II when it came out. ($$ remember?) I bought the first iPhone and numerous iPods, HomePods, and iPads, yes you could call me an Apple fanboy.

But lately is seems with every “update” something is missing, changed for the worst, or operates more poorly.

Now instead of giving the customer the freedom to use media the way they want there is constant push to Apple subscriptions, just like a lot of other companies. I expect the iTunes Music Store will be going away someday.

What about that Apple TV interface, what a train wreck! Not even a mute button, the single most useful thing that any tv has!

I use HomeKit to keep track of two homes. It operates so slowly sometimes, it’s quicker to use the keypad on the door than to wait for HomeKit to get around to it. Devices sometimes don’t respond and then the next time they do. I don’t dare allow automatic updates to my HomePods because they get hung up “Configuring” till we travel there and “do back flips” to fix them. I have lots of other complaints about HomeKit but I’ll stop here. Oh, just one more thing: in its early days it worked great.

I listen to podcasts, the podcast app once played one podcast after the other. Now I have to click on the next podcast or do some other hocus pocus in order to play multiple podcasts without my interaction.

My iPhone and M1 MacBook Air no longer sync bookmarks. Even bought a new IPhone 15 PM, removed the old iPhone from my account, and the new iPhone will not sync bookmarks either. Three calls to Apple support and zero help. Gave up. BTW, I moved the old iPhone to another Apple ID that is also on my M1 MacBook Air and they sync bookmarks instantly.

All my Apple Cash disappeared at the start of the month, talked to two people at Apple and one at Green Dot, they agree, but I still don’t have my money back!

I’m real happy about Apple removing the FireWire audio drivers from the MacOS. I really like having a couple expensive audio interfaces that are now useless. Maybe I’d buy a new interface with my Apple Cash, oh that’s right, I don’t have it.

I like the way the Apple Stocks app has news articles that are restricted unless you subscribe to Apple News. Search for any of those articles on the web and they are on ten different web site for free. Isn’t that special?

I could go on and on and on with stuff Apple evidently can not see.

Apple, maybe just stop with the new “features” for awhile and just take one of your couple hundred billions of dollars and FIX THIS STUFF!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You wanna know what pain is like? For weeks Shared Clipboard was busted on my Macbook as nothing I was copying on my phone was pasting onto my Mac, and none of what Apple Support told me to do fixed it, but one post on Reddit did, and that was to actually go into macOS's system files and change the sharedclipboard value from 0 to 1.

Apple...are you kidding me? HOW DID NONE OF YOU CATCH THIS?! SOMETHING IS SIMPLE AS THAT!

I swear to god they need a new software engineering team.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
I started using an Apple II when it was new, my next machine was the Mac II when it came out. ($$ remember?) I bought the first iPhone and numerous iPods, HomePods, and iPads, yes you could call me an Apple fanboy.
When was the Apple II released? When was the Mac II released? That was back when hardware and software designers were in charge of the resulting machines And the end-users adapted themselves to use those machines.

These days the end users aren’t willing to adapt to anything and want the machines to work their way, so hardware and software designers end up adding every feature under the sun in an attempt to remain relevant to spoiled, self-centered, people who don’t understand the difference between necessity and luxury. I like my iPhone 13, but it has tons of features I will never use.. the same goes for my iPad 9th generation.

It’s not just Apple, “luxury” is the new “necessity” in almost all computing devices lately.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
What about that Apple TV interface, what a train wreck! Not even a mute button, the single most useful thing that any tv has!

61mq48gwNZL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

It's literally right there on the remote.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I like the way the Apple Stocks app has news articles that are restricted unless you subscribe to Apple News. Search for any of those articles on the web and they are on ten different web site for free. Isn’t that special?
I opened my stocks app to check on this. Tapping on those articles (I don't have the news app in my country, so not sure if it responds differently as a result) opens them in safari web view. Am I missing something?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the only snafu that "boggled my mind" over apple's assents incompetence was
one cannot create and submit a credit card a new membership using an iPad,
I had to use my MacBook Air for a family member's profile.
the person(s) at apple this March could not figure that out.

other than that, apple has exceeded my expiation this 2023 year.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I started using an Apple II when it was new, my next machine was the Mac II when it came out. ($$ remember?)

I got an Apple ][ in 1978, had an Apple //e and even Apple /// at work a few years later. Got a Fat Mac 512k in 1985, Mac Plus at work and then a Mac II... with a huge 19" monochrome screen and even a shoebox-sized 1gb hard drive! And so it continued, year after year.

I could complain about various annoyances, but overall, I'm still happy with my Apple devices. They do what I need and have been very reliable.

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
Where’s that Mute button?
How many YEARS did it take Apple to put one on their remote?
I’m really not ready to replace my four AppleTVs because they just found out about Mute Buttons.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 34

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Where’s that Mute button?
How many YEARS did it take Apple to put one on their remote?
I’m really not ready to replace my four AppleTVs because they just found out about Mute Buttons.

You don't need to. You can buy the remotes separately.

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I fixed that lack of a mute button years before Apple fixed it.

It was still a giant design flaw on Apple’s part. And if you don’t think so that’s fine with me.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

But lately is seems with every “update” something is missing, changed for the worst, or operates more poorly.

Now instead of giving the customer the freedom to use media the way they want there is constant push to Apple subscriptions, just like a lot of other companies. I expect the iTunes Music Store will be going away someday.

I use HomeKit to keep track of two homes. It operates so slowly sometimes, it’s quicker to use the keypad on the door than to wait for HomeKit to get around to it. Devices sometimes don’t respond and then the next time they do. I don’t dare allow automatic updates to my HomePods because they get hung up “Configuring” till we travel there and “do back flips” to fix them. I have lots of other complaints about HomeKit but I’ll stop here. Oh, just one more thing: in its early days it worked great.

I listen to podcasts, the podcast app once played one podcast after the other. Now I have to click on the next podcast or do some other hocus pocus in order to play multiple podcasts without my interaction.

My iPhone and M1 MacBook Air no longer sync bookmarks. Even bought a new IPhone 15 PM, removed the old iPhone from my account, and the new iPhone will not sync bookmarks either. Three calls to Apple support and zero help. Gave up. BTW, I moved the old iPhone to another Apple ID that is also on my M1 MacBook Air and they sync bookmarks instantly.

All my Apple Cash disappeared at the start of the month, talked to two people at Apple and one at Green Dot, they agree, but I still don’t have my money back!

I’m real happy about Apple removing the FireWire audio drivers from the MacOS. I really like having a couple expensive audio interfaces that are now useless. Maybe I’d buy a new interface with my Apple Cash, oh that’s right, I don’t have it.

Apple, maybe just stop with the new “features” for awhile and just take one of your couple hundred billions of dollars and FIX THIS STUFF!

Wait, you have been using Apple for a long time and you are now just thinking the shine has worn off. There has been issues and some of them major, remember the OS installation process that bricked your Mac or iPhone!

I have only been using since 2008 plus or minus... and there has always been something wrong or something that bugged me, or an item that had me scratching my head. This is nothing new with Apple. Granted somethings bug people more than others.

To me this is nothing new.

However, I do agree, they should stop with the updating and moving to new versions and fix their current offerings. I don't like them moving at such a breakneck speed every single year.

Reactions: ipaqrat and Boyd01

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I agree OP

It also seems like Apple really misses having an empowered and tasteful product editor

That was one of the most valuable and underrated things Steve provided

Having the right person or set of people saying “no” or “change this” are really important things to have happening

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
It also seems like Apple really misses having an empowered and tasteful product editor

Yes, but Steve Jobs had his failings too. He was there for the decline of the Finder, and the round mouse. He introduce iTunes, but let it become bloated and confusing. I think he was still alive for "anti-schuferism" where all buttons and controls were replaced with meaningless blue squiggles.

I say this not to dump on Jobs, but to suggest that others ought to be able to step up to the plate and do as well.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Yes, but Steve Jobs had his failings too. He was there for the decline of the Finder, and the round mouse. He introduce iTunes, but let it become bloated and confusing. I think he was still alive for "anti-schuferism" where all buttons and controls were replaced with meaningless blue squiggles.

I say this not to dump on Jobs, but to suggest that others ought to be able to step up to the plate and do as well.

Fair points -- Well stated

• Haha
Reactions: canadianpj

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I have two homes both are loaded with HomeKit device so when we’re south for the winter we can keep track of our house up north. It never fails that some Apple update will screw our access to the other home. I have to use the device manufacturer’s app in order to check what’s happening in the other home. This once again has happened after the last update, what is the point of HomeKit if I have fiddle with it after Apple updates?

Oh yeah the last update reset my podcasts, again - the Apple podcast app doesn’t know which podcasts I have listened to. Great update I needed something else to do.

I’m almost to the point of not updating any of my Apple products.

It is really sad. Yeah, tell me again that I’m wrong.

The_Auryn

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2020
I agree with the OP. I stay one operating system behind before updating. Let others work out the bugs. In the 'good old days' (pre Mac OSX) Apple would release a new operating system every few years, when it was ready to be released, and CHARGE people for it. I wish Apple would move back to charging $$$ for new operating systems instead of just pushing a new one out on a certain date every year. You charge for something, you have incentive to make it work properly the first time.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Remember when staying one OS version behind for updates was only for slovenly ol' Windows? Seems Apple started drinking Microsoft's kool-aid. Though, frankly, Apple has to deal with growing MacOS/iOS complexity, of their own making, which exceeds Windows in some aspects. Of course, certain folks appreciate certain features more than others, but I wonder where the initial requirement come from? Some things they come up with, like, who the **** ASKED for THAT?

Thing is, now, with IT security being such buggery, I wonder if it's safe to delay updates/patches, despite the risk of blow-ups. Are some exploits not so fiendish, that it would be worth the pain of collateral disruptions? Which brings up the debate over transparency: If vendors published everything they knew about their bugs and/or vulnerabilities, how many would comprehend? How many would sabotage it just to be a smarta**? How many would hire lawyers for a class action? Honestly, these days, people are such a bunch of a*****es, it's no wonder companies don't want to talk to us, except to order us to send money.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I got an Apple ][ in 1978, had an Apple //e and even Apple /// at work a few years later. Got a Fat Mac 512k in 1985, Mac Plus at work and then a Mac II... with a huge 19" monochrome screen and even a shoebox-sized 1gb hard drive! And so it continued, year after year.

I could complain about various annoyances, but overall, I'm still happy with my Apple devices. They do what I need and have been very reliable.

If you weren't permanently scared off of Apple by the notoriously buggy and unreliable Apple ///, then you can handle just about anything.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Coming from the original Apple ][, the Apple /// was a dream machine! Upper/Lowercase 80 character x 24 line screen, cool sculpted body. I think you could put 256kb of memory in that thing... couldn't you? (original Apple ][ topped out at 48kb plus 16kb ROM (of which only 8 was actually used, IIRC). We also had the Apple hard disk - the Profile (IIRC) which was a huge 5mb capacity. That was very impressive back then!

Anyway, our finance director got the Apple /// because it ran Great Plains accounting software (me being an Apple fanatic might have also been a factor ;) ). I remember needing a check in hurry for something one day and asking him "can we do that?" to which he replied "We can do anything - we have an Apple /// !".

We never had any reliability issues, AFAIK the early ones had a problem (among others?) with the chips popping of the board all by themselves. We got ours later. In fact, our finance director left a couple years later to open his own business (restoring classic cars) and bought an identical Apple /// setup with Great Plains software for himself.

BTW, at that same time, my boss got an original KayPro "luggable" computer. What a monster that thing was. He needed constant help, it was surprising that he bought that computer as he was the true definition of a technophobe! I ended up working for him again for many years, beginning in the 1990's and I personally handled all his support and upgrades... beginning with a Mac Duo 230 along with the big desktop docking station and screen - a pretty cool setup. I had a Duo 210 (couldn't afford the 230) and loved that little computer. My brother in law had the color version of the Duo - I was so jealous!

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

The appleTV remote is hot garbage, but if you care... top left

1704287341989.jpeg

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Is this post designed just to start discussion? There were a lot of former products that were just amazingly terrible back in the day:

- Powermac x5xx series (the 64 bit processor with the 32 bit bus with the 16 bit memory with the 8 bit communication channels).
- Powerbook 5200, the Flaming Powerbook (because it goes up in flames)
- Mac OS 7.0 (the one that couldn't run on most machines without an upgrade).
- The Apple Newton (all of them, sorry)

OR, if you want to go back to Steve Jobs 2.0 era:

- iPod 3 with the buttons on the top.
- iPhone 4, the "you're holding it wrong" iPhone.
- iPhone 5c. Cheaply made, but still expensive
- iOS 7

Or, the post Steve Jobs era:
- Butterfly keyboards that break if you look at them wrong.
- Overheating Macbooks (but no flaming Macs, thankfully!).
- Selling an Apple Watch 3 after they stopped providing updates for it.

Reactions: throAU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.