Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Air Video TV app. This alone is worth the entire price of the Apple TV. No more air playing with an iOS device, now you can browse your computers files directly without having to convert anything.

It decodes on the fly video files like mkv, avi, mov, MP4 etc...

It's exactly what is the best thing about he Apple TV 4. I'm now going to replace all 5 ATVs in my home thanks to his app.

Also, streaming is blazing fast now withe the new processor. Buffering time is also non existent.

Fun fact: Air Video also can peek into rar or other zipped files and play from inside the compressed file!

Reactions: PhiLLoW

FrederikTK

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Denmark
I'll be interested to see the app when my own ATV arrives, I don't see how this is different from Plex though? (Other than playing zipped files, but that's not a concern for me)

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Well you can't get flex yet and this is available now. I thought this guy was just advertising his own app but reluctant to purchase this and i brought it and it is awesome

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Awesome. I was not expecting this so soon. Air Video has been my go-to app for playing video on the ATV for years. Having it native is going to be absolutely awesome. Everyone wants Plex, but for most people Air Video does what they want Plex to do with a beautiful UI and no fussing about with settings. It just works.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Well you just got my attention. I love air video hd but use wdtv since Apple TV has resisted that kind of universal playback.

The main question now is regarding resolution and audio format support

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Air Video TV app. This alone is worth the entire price of the Apple TV. No more air playing with an iOS device, now you can browse your computers files directly without having to convert anything.

It's exactly what is the best thing about he Apple TV 4. I'm now going to replace all 5 ATVs in my home thanks to his app.

Also, streaming is blazing fast now withe the new processor. Buffering time is also non existent.

Fun fact: Air Video also can peek into rar or other zipped files and play from inside the compressed file!

And i bet it still can not shuffle files

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Because i don't want to see the same files in the same order every time

I used Air Video before Plex. Plex has confirmed they are making an Apple TV app. Love Plex but will use Air TV until it comes out. Nice.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Because i don't want to see the same files in the same order every time
That makes absolutely no sense to me. How do you find things you want to find? That's like saying you want the library to be re-organized randomly every time you walk into it.

I must be missing something?

Reactions: scapegoat81

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
That makes absolutely no sense to me. How do you find things you want to find? That's like saying you want the library to be re-organized randomly every time you walk into it.

I must be missing something?

Because i have folders also, on my Pc when i play things shuffled it does not shuffle the actual folders. A playlist is created in the app

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Although I like Air Video. I have it both for my iPhone & iPad.. But I would prefer using Plex on my  TV.

Air Video is a pretty useful app.. I've been using it in the early days when it first launched. I've always liked how straight forward it was and never had any hiccups.

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
I'm amazed how great this app is :) does this app have any competitors except plex?

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Thinking of trying out the app on iOS also, but do I have to pay for it again?

obeliq

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
I assume this requires a server app running on your mac or pc? I hope we eventually get a VLC type app that can play from an SMB share and decode on the ATV itself. There is another thread here discussing 'Video Explorer' which is heading in that direction, but it likely will never decode AC3 audio.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA

brought it and it is awesome

TWO questions:

1) So I don't need a server running on my Mac, it just gets the shared files?

2) Will it look at my networked drives?

Gary

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
If you have everything in iTunes and converted to load onto iOS devices etc is there any point to this app?

Seisiuneer

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
I'm curious, I have the original Air Video app and server. I never upgraded to the HD version since the original versions seems to work fine for all the videos I stream with it. If I upgrade to the HD version, do I have to buy both the iPad version and the TV version or is the TV version included with the iPad version purchase?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Does the Server on the Mac use a lot of CPU while watching a movie? Does it fetch artwork and metadata?

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I'm curious, I have the original Air Video app and server. I never upgraded to the HD version since the original versions seems to work fine for all the videos I stream with it. If I upgrade to the HD version, do I have to buy both the iPad version and the TV version or is the TV version included with the iPad version purchase?

No, Air Video HD is a new purchase compared to the original Air Video (like you, I've had the original for years and never bothered upgrading to watch just on ipads). But when you buy the HD version it's available on all devices.

To answer some other questions above, yes you have to run the (free) server app on a computer somewhere. It can access any external drives accessible to that computer. The advantage to Air Video over iTunes is that it can handle all the transcoding for you. The disadvantage to Air Video over Kodi or others is that it can't understand a lot of packed or split files. But you only need to unzip them, not convert them to another format. No it doesn't fetch artwork and metadata -- that's one of the things I really like about it over Kodi. It never seems to use a whole lot of CPU -- I run mine on a base 2012 Mac Mini and it doesn't blink even when serving multiple devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.