Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
If you have everything in iTunes and converted to load onto iOS devices etc is there any point to this app?
Not sure. On the fly conversion is a big draw here. I've long since stopped bothering to convert anything for iOS. I just get apps or devices that do it.

Have way too many videos to mess with that anymore.

Joell27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
Air Video TV app. This alone is worth the entire price of the Apple TV. No more air playing with an iOS device, now you can browse your computers files directly without having to convert anything.

It decodes on the fly video files like mkv, avi, mov, MP4 etc...

It's exactly what is the best thing about he Apple TV 4. I'm now going to replace all 5 ATVs in my home thanks to his app.

Also, streaming is blazing fast now withe the new processor. Buffering time is also non existent.

Fun fact: Air Video also can peek into rar or other zipped files and play from inside the compressed file!
If I purchase the app for the iPhone will the purchase transfer to the ATV as well, or do I have to purchase the app on both devices?

Joell27

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
If I purchase the app for the iPhone will the purchase transfer to the ATV as well, or do I have to purchase the app on both devices?

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
If you have everything in iTunes and converted to load onto iOS devices etc is there any point to this app?
That's the point, you don't have to load anything into iTunes. It looks into plain folders and plays all video files.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
No, Air Video HD is a new purchase compared to the original Air Video (like you, I've had the original for years and never bothered upgrading to watch just on ipads). But when you buy the HD version it's available on all devices.

To answer some other questions above, yes you have to run the (free) server app on a computer somewhere. It can access any external drives accessible to that computer. The advantage to Air Video over iTunes is that it can handle all the transcoding for you. The disadvantage to Air Video over Kodi or others is that it can't understand a lot of packed or split files. But you only need to unzip them, not convert them to another format. No it doesn't fetch artwork and metadata -- that's one of the things I really like about it over Kodi. It never seems to use a whole lot of CPU -- I run mine on a base 2012 Mac Mini and it doesn't blink even when serving multiple devices.
The creator said on Reddit if there are enough requests, he'll add the functionality of playing media from compressed files like zip and rar.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
This app requires you to run a separate server. Its just as terrible as PLEX. Ill stick with Video Explorer for now.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
This app requires you to run a separate server. Its just as terrible as PLEX. Ill stick with Video Explorer for now.

I don't want to have a Mac running (or play from a mobile device) either. For me the only workable solution involves streaming straight from the NAS. Hence my hopes are high for VLC (via DLNA, or perhaps SMB) or Plex, both of which work with my NAS (Synology).

Now, what exactly is Video Explorer?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
While certainly not bad, I'm finding again and again that ATV apps are just OK. Not able to compare with the smooth flow of iOS Apps , it's the same level of disappointment I experience with Mac Apps. I believe Apple will sort them out at some point, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
I don't want to have a Mac running (or play from a mobile device) either. For me the only workable solution involves streaming straight from the NAS. Hence my hopes are high for VLC (via DLNA, or perhaps SMB) or Plex, both of which work with my NAS (Synology).

Now, what exactly is Video Explorer?

Video Explorer streams from your NAS. Still in early stages.

link

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
That's the point, you don't have to load anything into iTunes. It looks into plain folders and plays all video files.
But if you use only Macs and iOS devices then you want everything in iTunes. And if you are converting MKV files it takes a few secs as it's just a container change.

I could see the point of this if you don't live in an all Apple world, but then why would you buy an Apple TV?

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
But if you use only Macs and iOS devices then you want everything in iTunes. And if you are converting MKV files it takes a few secs as it's just a container change.

I could see the point of this if you don't live in an all Apple world, but then why would you buy an Apple TV?

There are so many things wrong with this post.

Reactions: scapegoat81

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
I'm gonna give this app a try on my iP6 & possibly my ATV4 but had one question. Does this app support any kind of Parental Controls ? I'd like to set this up on my ATV & set different user profiles with pin codes to access them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.