Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Congratulations! Here in Spain happened the same, during September the physical drive PS5 was discounted from its retail price of 550€ down to 450€, the digital PS5 price. Sadly the Digital PS5 wasn’t discounted. Then, at the end of September, the PS5 went back to its usual 550€. It was evident, at least for me, that it was a way to clear up PS5 stock as the slim model approached, but anyway, many people benefitted from it.

Now, if you want to buy an SSD, I would do it as soon as you find a good deal, because Samsung already said they are rising SSD prices because their benefits are lower than usual. And maybe other manufacturers will follow Samsung.

I was going to wait till Black Friday deals to get an SSD. But thanks for the info as I'll bear that in mind.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I am not surprised that Sony didn't introduce a spec bump. An incremental 15-20% in performance would have been costly to R&D and yielded negligible real life impact for users.

Since launch of the ps5 and series x, shipping and supply chain costs have grown. This underscores Microsofts foresight.

They have stated that one of the reasons for the Series S existence is because it's unlikely that big price cuts for the Series X will be profitable.

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
IMG_4253.jpeg
Just bought one of these , after wasting a lot of money on games for the switch I can’t wait for a decent portable system again

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Oh so its a remote player - nothing more.
Guess it could come in handy for when the kids are hogging the screen my PS5 is connected to! lol

So if I play games from disc, it will allow me to play the currently inserted game disc, but remotely on the PSP.....

Remote being the key word here. For me, 'remote' means from anywhere, although I'm assuming with the PSP you need to be on the same internal network as the PS5 itself......

Reactions: George Dawes

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Oh so its a remote player - nothing more.
Guess it could come in handy for when the kids are hogging the screen my PS5 is connected to! lol

So if I play games from disc, it will allow me to play the currently inserted game disc, but remotely on the PSP.....

Remote being the key word here. For me, 'remote' means from anywhere, although I'm assuming with the PSP you need to be on the same internal network as the PS5 itself......
You can apparently play over the internet somewhere else on your personal PS5 at home but I'd be amazed if that was a remotely good experience. I'd imagine you'd need your PS5 hardwired and have really good upload speeds to have a decent chance.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
View attachment 2297677 Just bought one of these , after wasting a lot of money on games for the switch I can’t wait for a decent portable system again

Umm...you do realize you can't take it with you wherever you go right? It's restricted to just your home wifi network. It's essentially a Wii U gamepad for the PS5.

If you want a better portable system, you could've bought a Steam Deck instead since Playstation games are available there.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Umm...you do realize you can't take it with you wherever you go right? It's restricted to just your home wifi network. It's essentially a Wii U gamepad for the PS5.

If you want a better portable system, you could've bought a Steam Deck instead since Playstation games are available there.
According to Sony's FAQ;

"Although your home Wi-Fi network is a great option for using PlayStation Portal because you have control over the quality of your own home Wi-Fi, it is not required. PlayStation Portal can also be used anywhere you have access to a Wi-Fi network with a bandwidth of at least 5 Mbps. For the best gaming experience, a broadband connection of at least 15 Mbps is recommended. If you are using public Wi-Fi, be aware that the quality of the internet connection may be beyond your control and may impact the quality of your gaming experience."

ipadawan

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2019
Not sure if it belongs here, but I would like to know before the black Friday and other sale's getting started.

Can you connect and use 2 Sony PS5 DualSense at an AppleTV 4k? Don't know any games yet to play with two players ( No nothing at all about games except the game of life ).
Am I correct; there is no haptic feedback? Is that the only thing or...

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
According to Sony's FAQ;

"Although your home Wi-Fi network is a great option for using PlayStation Portal because you have control over the quality of your own home Wi-Fi, it is not required. PlayStation Portal can also be used anywhere you have access to a Wi-Fi network with a bandwidth of at least 5 Mbps. For the best gaming experience, a broadband connection of at least 15 Mbps is recommended. If you are using public Wi-Fi, be aware that the quality of the internet connection may be beyond your control and may impact the quality of your gaming experience."

these days thats not a huge requirement tbh. definitely could be great for staying in hotels.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
That's the disappointing part.

Tho, honestly, I doubt it would take much more than a software update to allow it to stream from PS+.

There's hardly any computer components on the thing at all. It's mainly just screen, controller, and battery.

If you want to stream from PS+, just buy a BackBone One with PlayStation layout and plug it into your phone.

Or alternatively, buy a Steam Deck. Every PlayStation game that has gotten a PC port (except Returnal. That game is just too demanding for that poor Ryzen Van Gogh APU) is Deck Verified and future games will most likely be too. Sony's pretty much treating the Deck as a PSP by proxy at this point since they know they'll never match Nintendo in terms of portables so might as well let someone else handle the logistics while they just bring the games.

Reactions: Ifti

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
There's hardly any computer components on the thing at all. It's mainly just screen, controller, and battery.

If you want to stream from PS+, just buy a BackBone One with PlayStation layout and plug it into your phone.

Or alternatively, buy a Steam Deck. Every PlayStation game that has gotten a PC port (except Returnal. That game is just too demanding for that poor Ryzen Van Gogh APU) is Deck Verified and future games will most likely be too. Sony's pretty much treating the Deck as a PSP by proxy at this point since they know they'll never match Nintendo in terms of portables so might as well let someone else handle the logistics while they just bring the games.
There is a way to stream all your playstation games to the deck from the console as well. I do it frommy PS4 but when/if I get a PS5 will do that as well. Works fairly well, at least when in the same WiFI space.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH

It wouldn't need anything more than it has now, all you would need is a firmware/software update that would allow for redirection from your own host console to one in the server cloud.

Reactions: Pezimak

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
From my understanding the Portal doesnt do any processing etc whatsoever - its all done on the PS5 and the Portal is simply a 'dumb' remote player. Nothing more. A huge difference compared to a Steam Deck.
If you are looking to stream games from the cloud, where would all the processing and rendering be done? On the cloud servers before its sent to the Portal?? Not a chance.
Your PS5 has to play the part somewhere along the line. The portal simply wont run without it.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
...where would all the processing and rendering be done? On the cloud servers before its sent to the Portal??
That's *exactly* how cloud gaming works. Everything is handled server-side, and you're basically controlling an interactive video stream...just like remote play.

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
Although GameStop kinda screwed me over release day so I ended up having to swing by Walmart to get it so I could start early, it's been an awesome game. I spent honestly almost 12 hours straight playing it and can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Still playing Assassins Creed Mirage - I haven’t picked up Spider-Man yet as I like to play through a game at a time…….that and I’m hoping the price for Spider-Man will drop a bit by the time I‘m ready to play it!!! Lol

Reactions: Flamingdeathbolts
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.