Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
So what's the game like right now? Can you do the planetary landing stuff yet?

No planetary landings until 3.0, unfortunately.

We are in alpha 2.5, waiting for 2.6 to drop within (maybe) 2 weeks. Currently, you have a "main" spaceport that you spawn at, with a "pirate" spaceport that you spawn at, if you have a criminal record. You get a criminal record if you fire on other players (in a comm-link zone) or if you turn comm-links off (you also earn credit if you turn comm-links back on, you just have to defeat some AI pirates). The third main area is a space station ("Kareah") that is set up for FPS, it is a small area where the comm-links are off and players can go at it there. You also can hack into the system there to remove your criminal record.

That is all the persistent universe, there as also the Arena Commander game(s) where you can practice flying solo, or engage in team or PvP dogfights against each other or AI enemies. You can also race on 3 racing circuits.

When 2.6 arrives, we will get an expanded set of stations and another planet to fly to, and Star Marine, which will be a more expanded FPS experience, with 4 vs. 4 and 12 vs. 12 action.

It is all still alpha, so while it is a lot of fun, it glitches sometimes and you can also crash (happens rarely, but happens). Also, the networking code is still being optimized, so the frame rates can vary a bit.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Just found this video, in which Chris Roberts, Erin, Brian Chambers, and others amplify and expand on what we saw at CitizenCon. Two cool things stood out:
1) They discuss how they solicit and get feedback from the players
2) that demo we saw -- that was run on a computer with a single 1080 GPU...and they were getting a fast frame rate! Oh baby...

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
that demo we saw -- that was run on a computer with a single 1080 GPU...and they were getting a fast frame rate!
Well they really ought to be getting a good framerate on a 1080 given where that card is positioned among current GPUs.

The game looks fantastic, though, I'll definitely be getting it. I just don't want to jump in too early and get bored with it. I think Elite Dangerous did the 'early access' thing very well, in that it's basically still in development today and changing radically with every patch, but there has always been a complete core game that you can play. The Star Citizen 'module' thing confuses me, as does the current $45 for the base game plus another $15 for the single player mode.

It's amusing / worrying that in the video they talk about having to retool 'legacy' stuff. This game has been in alpha for so long it actually has legacy code.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My apologies in advance, this may have already been discussed, but is this an Eve or Elite Dangerous style MMO? What I mean is it one large space or bunches of small instanced spaces? Subscription or PTP? Thanks.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
My apologies in advance, this may have already been discussed, but is this an Eve or Elite Dangerous style MMO? What I mean is it one large space or bunches of small instanced spaces? Subscription or PTP? Thanks.

I don't know much about Eve at all -- maybe somebody else can chime in. The full game is going to have a single player game ("Squadron 42") and a MMO ("Star Citizen"). You can get just Squadron 42 or both (at least right now).

It is (right now) just a single purchase of the game, no subscription. People get confused because there are "subscriptions" and "subscribers" but that is only to fund all the social media stuff/weekly progress videos, etc., so they don't have to pay out of the game funding.

From the video above, it sounds like they are going to have bunches of large-ish instances, but I could be wrong about that.

Fosty

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Subscription or PTP? Thanks.

It's pay to win by the look of it. You have to pay a base price for the game but then there are "ships" you buy from the game's site that range in price (and I kid you not) from 50 to thousands of dollars which I assume will drastically effect your standing in the game. Of course I'm sure you can grind for them as well but this kind of player driven 1% economy and massively multi-douche player game idea died in my mind about 5 or 6 years ago. I'd gladly replay a Skyrim or Borderlands2 instead.

http://www.gameskinny.com/7pxq0/the-most-expensive-ships-in-star-citizen

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't know much about Eve at all -- maybe somebody else can chime in. The full game is going to have a single player game ("Squadron 42") and a MMO ("Star Citizen"). You can get just Squadron 42 or both (at least right now).

It is (right now) just a single purchase of the game, no subscription. People get confused because there are "subscriptions" and "subscribers" but that is only to fund all the social media stuff/weekly progress videos, etc., so they don't have to pay out of the game funding.

From the video above, it sounds like they are going to have bunches of large-ish instances, but I could be wrong about that.

Elite Dangerous which I played for a while, had lots of small instances which seems to destroy the idea of being a massive multiplayer online games if it's broken up into many small spaces. For example two people in ED can dock in the same space station but be in different instances each full of A.I. vehicles moving around. My understanding is Eve is one large space for the most part.

It's pay to win by the look of it. You have to pay a base price for the game but then there are "ships" you buy from the game's site that range in price (and I kid you not) from 50 to thousands of dollars which I assume will drastically effect your standing in the game. Of course I'm sure you can grind for them as well but this kind of player driven 1% economy and massively multi-douche player game idea died in my mind about a 5 or 6 years ago. I'd gladly replay a Skyrim or Borderlands2 instead.

Hmm. $53 for a premium tank (WoT) is about my limit, lol. :D I wonder when your thousand dollar ship is blown to smithereens if it's gone or like Eve and ED insurance is available. I assume so.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's pay to win by the look of it. You have to pay a base price for the game but then there are "ships" you buy from the game's site that range in price (and I kid you not) from 50 to thousands of dollars which I assume will drastically effect your standing in the game. Of course I'm sure you can grind for them as well but this kind of player driven 1% economy and massively multi-douche player game idea died in my mind about a 5 or 6 years ago. I'd gladly replay a Skyrim or Borderlands2 instead.

Just looked at that link, some mighty fine ships there. Crack for the addicts? :) Confession time, in World of Tanks over the years I've probably paid $700 for tanks, but I dribbled it out in amounts of $5-53. Under no circumstance do I see myself paying more than about $50 maybe $100 for an individual vehicle.

I'll also point out that WoT premium vehicles primarily gave you a means of accruing XP faster with less repair costs, but mostly premium vehicle had less performance or (lately) equal performance to earned versions of the same type tanks. Yaught and vanity vehicles that provide no, or no significant advantage, may not be a game killer. Most of my concern would be the $2500 destroyer or $500 freighter (yes folks- REAL FRICKN MONEY!) Depending on how long grinding for something like this, may turn me away from SC. An appropriate comparison is Elite Dangerous where grinding for ships, earning bounties and making trade runs is doable and reasonable. I'll have to see how the other aspects of the game stack up and if you can grind for big ships without devoting years to it lol. :D

orig_39239637d66f8c31c59fd15810c0d211.jpg

The Javelin @ $2500 a real bargain! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fosty

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
...if you can grind for big ships without devoting years to it lol. :D

Doubtful. The game has always presented itself as hardcore (as far as I'm aware) and it wouldn't be worth the $2,500 if players could just grind it out in 3-6months. It's more likely something that takes a year or more but likely more. Again I just don't see the fun in skinner box games anymore. I wish players would stop supporting abusive games with its business model.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Doubtful. The game has always presented itself as hardcore (as far as I'm aware) and it wouldn't be worth the $2,500 if players could just grind it out in 3-6months. It's more likely something that takes a year or more but likely more. Again I just don't see the fun in skinner box games anymore. I wish players would stop supporting abusive games with its business model.

orig_3186ea3c28c4fefc0c29607e50e00c7d.jpg
Off on a tangent- I'd love to build a ship like this in something like Space Engineers. I tried, 2000' meters long, but the tools are just not there and I don't want to build a Minecraft ship. I want smooth rounded and angled surfaces. :(

Last edited:

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
EDIT: Somebody already answered the question and I missed it. Head full of puddin'!
[doublepost=1476800216][/doublepost]
Just looked at that link, some mighty fine ships there. Crack for the addicts? :) Confession time, in World of Tanks over the years I've probably paid $700 for tanks, but I dribbled it out in amounts of $5-53. Under no circumstance do I see myself paying more than about $50 maybe $100 for an individual vehicle.

I'll also point out that WoT premium vehicles primarily gave you a means of accruing XP faster with less repair costs, but mostly premium vehicle had less performance or (lately) equal performance to earned versions of the same type tanks. Yaught and vanity vehicles that provide no, or no significant advantage, may not be a game killer. Most of my concern would be the $2500 destroyer or $500 freighter (yes folks- REAL FRICKN MONEY!) Depending on how long grinding for something like this, may turn me away from SC. An appropriate comparison is Elite Dangerous where grinding for ships, earning bounties and making trade runs is doable and reasonable. I'll have to see how the other aspects of the game stack up and if you can grind for big ships without devoting years to it lol. :D

orig_39239637d66f8c31c59fd15810c0d211.jpg

The Javelin @ $2500 a real bargain! :rolleyes:
I'm not worried about it at all. There are plenty of smaller ships that you can work your way up to, and for me that's part of the fun. I'm starting out life in my Space Winnebago (Aurora LN), or I may even ditch that and be a hobo for a bit and work my way up from the gutters.

I don't intend on ever owning one of those behemoths. I may take a job on one though, or fly on one with an Org.
[doublepost=1476800384][/doublepost]
I wonder when your thousand dollar ship is blown to smithereens if it's gone or like Eve and ED insurance is available. I assume so.

Yes, your ship comes with insurance.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
EDIT: Somebody already answered the question and I missed it. Head full of puddin'!
[doublepost=1476800216][/doublepost]
I'm not worried about it at all. There are plenty of smaller ships that you can work your way up to, and for me that's part of the fun. I'm starting out life in my Space Winnebago (Aurora LN), or I may even ditch that and be a hobo for a bit and work my way up from the gutters.

I don't intend on ever owning one of those behemoths. I may take a job on one though, or fly on one with an Org.
[doublepost=1476800384][/doublepost]

Yes, your ship comes with insurance.

Taking a job sounds like commitment. ;) I assume the game will offer insurance for lost ships.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's another "free fly" going on through the 30th...sign up for an account, download the game, fly for free:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/Free-Fly-Fall-2016#announcebot

In my mind, I don't think they'll drop 2.6 until this promotion (or any like it) is going on.

Sorry if this has been answered, what is the cost after the fly for free? I went to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now and see if I spend $45, I can download a ship and start playing. How many of you are playing this game now? What's your hardware? Thanks

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Sorry if this has been answered, what is the cost after the fly for free? I went to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now and see if I spend $45, I can download a ship and start playing. How many of you are playing this game now? What's your hardware? Thanks

After you fly for free, you can either spend the $45 for Squadron 42 (which is just the single player game) & Arena Commander (the alpha dogfighting module, single player or against others), or $60 for the full alpha plus both Star Citizen (the mmo) & Squadron 42. No other costs...

I have a referral code: STAR-L7Q3-JFFJ ... if you use that, you get free in game credits, for things like upgrading a ship using the in game currency, and I get a recruitment point which is good for something, eventually. In any event, plenty of people have referral codes, you don't have to use mine, but using any one will get you a small bonus, in game.

I'm running it on a 2010 Mac Pro with a 1060 video card. I just upgraded from a plain 660, the frame rates were acceptable, but it did stutter in dogfighting. I think anything like a 770 or better will get you decent frame rates.

BTW, just saw this video, the gameplay was hysterical:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After you fly for free, you can either spend the $45 for Squadron 42 (which is just the single player game) & Arena Commander (the alpha dogfighting module, single player or against others), or $60 for the full alpha plus both Star Citizen (the mmo) & Squadron 42. No other costs...

I have a referral code: STAR-L7Q3-JFFJ ... if you use that, you get free in game credits, for things like upgrading a ship using the in game currency, and I get a recruitment point which is good for something, eventually. In any event, plenty of people have referral codes, you don't have to use mine, but using any one will get you a small bonus, in game.

I'm running it on a 2010 Mac Pro with a 1060 video card. I just upgraded from a plain 660, the frame rates were acceptable, but it did stutter in dogfighting. I think anything like a 770 or better will get you decent frame rates.

BTW, just saw this video, the gameplay was hysterical:

I think my PC hardware can handle it.
* Has it been established that the MMO game will or will not have a subscription model?
* Will the $60 get you a better ship or just better access?
* And in the realm of basic ships is the fighter or the multipurpose ship considered the better deal?

Is the above the entire referral code? If so I'll be happy to use it and give it a shot. I wonder how much depth the single player game has? I'm a pretty good flyer, but I don't think I have what it takes to take on the top level online dog fighters. ;)

And if the MMO is a subscription model, I probably won't pursue that, which in light of the amount of money I've spent in some free games I know that position really does not make a lot of sense. But I can log into World of Tanks anytime I want for free.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
* Has it been established that the MMO game will or will not have a subscription model?
* And in the realm of basic ships is the fighter or the multipurpose ship considered the better deal?

Is the above the entire referral code? If so I'll be happy to use it and give it a shot. I wonder how much depth the single player game has? I'm a pretty good flyer, but I don't think I have what it takes to take on the top level online dog fighters. ;)

And if the MMO is a subscription model, I probably won't pursue that, which in light of the amount of money I've spent in some free games I know that position really does not make a lot of sense. But I can log into World of Tanks anytime I want for free.

$60 gets you Alpha access to the game with a starter ship and access to SQN 42 when that is released.

I was unable to use a referral code as I had already created an account on their website (you can do that and not have to buy anything).

In order to keep a game of this magnitude going, you will have to spend some money. It does seem that you can decide how much to spend though (which is why I decided to invest and sign up).

With the $45 I paid as a backer, I get a basic ship, but there are ships that pop-up as free to try out - which is the fun I'm having.

I built a "Console PC" and got a GPU card to play Space Sims described here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/console-pcs.1976952/

Star Citizen scales down well so all you need is a current-gen Console spec'd PC like this one (you can see him run Star Citizen on it, and prices have gone down on the parts since this vid was posted):

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

Are you sure you want to try this out now, when the remaster of Skyrim is coming out Friday? :)

There is a huge controversy all over the web (so, tempest in a teapot) about this being "pay to win" or a way of gouging people. Right now, the main people playing this are total nerds who have waited over a decade for a great space sim/Wing Commander successor. Since there is so much pent-up demand, nerdy people have been throwing money at the game, which is unnecessary.

Every ship will be available, in game, and you can buy them in game with the in game currency. For example, I can go online and play the racing game...I suck, but just doing that a couple of hours a week over the course of 2 weeks, I built up about 20,000 "REC"s which are rental equipment credits. In game (provided already bought a game to get in the game), the ship prices in REC for a Mustang Alpha is 3,000 REC, the Origin M50 is 10,000 REC, the Gladius is 9,000 REC, etc.

Re: which is the better ship? What do you want to do? The single seat fighters are typically shorter range, won't have a bed, etc., but the larger ships will. You will also be able to haul cargo with a larger ship and earn in game currency. The coolest thing about a bigger ship is having other players crew it with you, which obviously you can't do in a single seat ship.

Re: fighting, there really is a bit of skill involved. I'll link a video below, one fellow, BoredGamer, consistently takes up the starter ships and does quite will in the Arena Commander battles...also, I'll link a video about REC below.

RSI page for ships using REC:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/electronic-ships

How to earn REC in Star Citizen

Starting watching this video at about 11:00 min, it shows him taking a Mustang Alpha into Arena Commander

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks guys for the info! Part of me wants to really play a kick ass space game. I did Elite Dangerous, and while it had some nice features, I got bored with it. :(

SC MMO Subscription Model: Yes, No, Unknown?

$60 gets you Alpha access to the game with a starter ship and access to SQN 42 when that is released.

I was unable to use a referral code as I had already created an account on their website (you can do that and not have to buy anything).

In order to keep a game of this magnitude going, you will have to spend some money. It does seem that you can decide how much to spend though (which is why I decided to invest and sign up).

With the $45 I paid as a backer, I get a basic ship, but there are ships that pop-up as free to try out - which is the fun I'm having.

I built a "Console PC" and got a GPU card to play Space Sims described here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/console-pcs.1976952/

Star Citizen scales down well so all you need is a current-gen Console spec'd PC like this one (you can see him run Star Citizen on it, and prices have gone down on the parts since this vid was posted):

Are you sure you want to try this out now, when the remaster of Skyrim is coming out Friday? :)

There is a huge controversy all over the web (so, tempest in a teapot) about this being "pay to win" or a way of gouging people. Right now, the main people playing this are total nerds who have waited over a decade for a great space sim/Wing Commander successor. Since there is so much pent-up demand, nerdy people have been throwing money at the game, which is unnecessary.

Every ship will be available, in game, and you can buy them in game with the in game currency. For example, I can go online and play the racing game...I suck, but just doing that a couple of hours a week over the course of 2 weeks, I built up about 20,000 "REC"s which are rental equipment credits. In game (provided already bought a game to get in the game), the ship prices in REC for a Mustang Alpha is 3,000 REC, the Origin M50 is 10,000 REC, the Gladius is 9,000 REC, etc.

Re: which is the better ship? What do you want to do? The single seat fighters are typically shorter range, won't have a bed, etc., but the larger ships will. You will also be able to haul cargo with a larger ship and earn in game currency. The coolest thing about a bigger ship is having other players crew it with you, which obviously you can't do in a single seat ship.

Re: fighting, there really is a bit of skill involved. I'll link a video below, one fellow, BoredGamer, consistently takes up the starter ships and does quite will in the Arena Commander battles...also, I'll link a video about REC below.

RSI page for ships using REC:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/electronic-ships

How to earn REC in Star Citizen

Starting watching this video at about 11:00 min, it shows him taking a Mustang Alpha into Arena Commander

Skyrim? Been there done that, and I'm still plugging away at Fallout 4. :) After some casual consideration, I've decided to hold off on Star Citizen until a later time, beta, retail (?) mmmmm maybe. Thanks for the offer! :D

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Thanks guys for the info! Part of me wants to really play a kick ass space game. I did Elite Dangerous, and while it had some nice features, I got bored with it. :(

SC MMO Subscription Model: Yes, No, Unknown?

Throw as much money as you want into it kinda game... :eek:

;)

EVERSPACE is still my kind and favorite space game - check out the games we've been talking about here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/space-combat-sims.1384218/

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Are you playing Everspace? If so, what state is it in? I do see early access on the label, but wonder how fleshed out it is? Thanks!

Yes, paid $45 for Beta Access.

It is in Early Access on Steam (PC, Mac), and XBox Store (Console w/ Windows 10 version) for $30 (retail will be $40).

The main game is pretty fleshed out. They are working on ships, storyline, other modes of play, etc.

The devs are EXTREMELY helpful and listen to all requests and bug reports.

It is the team that programmed the Galaxy on Fire app.

If you own an XBox One, you can try a 2 hour trial. Steam you can just purchase and ask for a refund within the 2 hr & 2 week timeframe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.