Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pushqrdx

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2022
It does on the entire KDE desktop, and any Qt 5 app. Why do you keep repeating this?

Because this is only true if you use an OTF, which almost no distro ships with by default, so no QT doesn't do gamma correction by default on Linux. And as I said even if it did, the most major applications on Linux still don't do it, so have fun with half your apps looking decent and the other half looking like crap.

Oh, and by the way, on my 2560 x 1600 pixel Macbook

Mine doesn't do that nor any MBP I used so far, not saying you're lying or anything though, just saying it's anecdotal

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
so have fun with half your apps looking decent and the other half looking like crap.

The same OTF font in chrome/firefox side-by-side with Dolphin File Browser looks only slightly worse. You are overstating the difference. You don't realise that as you're hanging on the qualitative opinions of this person (https://freetype.org/freetype2/docs/hinting/text-rendering-general.html), rather than testing for yourself on real hardware.

just saying it's anecdotal

Oh come on, you think Apple sent me a custom version of Screenshot. Also 13.3 inch Macbooks have shipped with fractional scaling by default for some years now, as Apple evidently decided a 1600x800-equivalent workspace is pretty useless.

pushqrdx

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2022
You don't realise that as you're hanging on the qualitative opinions of this person

I have been and still am using Linux for more than 15 years now, at first it was on and off but I have been soloing Linux for the past 7 years, this is my experience, and again you're comparing non gamma corrected and gamma corrected text on a freaking retina display, you can't do that, you won't notice or even see it, I explained why a thousand times already, you can only see the difference on crappy low dpi monitors, which majority of people still use.

you think Apple sent me a custom version of Screenshot

You realize that there're only two 2560 x 1600 MBPs in existence, right?

Last edited:

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
No, like I said, some MacBooks did ship with oversampling by default.

Not to be pedantic, but oversampling occurs for all HiDPI modes, even 2x. The problem I'm talking about is fractional scaling which, unsurprisingly, gives you slightly blurry text. I've seen this also on a 5K iMac, and a 4K 24 inch external.

Yes, I am just saying that I haven't encountered it myself, but it makes sense on 13-inch models which use the 2560 x 1600 resolution

It's all the 220dpi Macbooks: https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/19/new-macbook-pro-screen-resolution-options/. The new "solution" of 982 pixel height on a 14 inch Macbook is hardly ideal. When Ashai Linux is ready, I could run KDE Plasma on that at 150% or 175% scaling maintaining sharp text.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.