Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Chicken Salad with a Flair!

61C84820-B4F4-4DD0-837B-02BB73469957.png

Chicken Salad with Fruit
1982 Southern Living Annual Recipes, page 171.
Yields 8-10 servings (more like 4-6 servings, but it is delicious and easy to make.)
Credited to: Mrs Kenneth Olson, Dunnellon, Florida

Ingredients
  • 4 Cups of Chopped or shredded boiled chicken (I prefer thighs, shred it with a fork)
  • 2 Cups of thinly sliced celery
  • 1-2 Tbs of minced onions (I use scallions)
  • 3/4 Cup of Mayonnaise
  • 1/4 Cup of Whipping Cream
  • 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 Tsp salt
  • White. pepper to taste (a couple of shakes for me)
  • 1/4-1/2 Cup of Slivered Almonds, toasted. (I don’t toast them, jus buy them already sliced.)
  • 2-3 cups of Cantaloupe Balls (I just go with slices)
  • Seedless Green grapes (nice but optional imo)
  • Lettuce Leaves (optional)
Instructions
  • Combine Chicken and Celery in a bowl, mix up.
  • Combine next 6 ingredients in a separate bowl, stir well.
  • Add to chicken mixture and toss well.
  • Chill
  • Serve salad on Lettuce Leaves
  • Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
  • Garnish with melon balls and grapes.
  • Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Classic No Bake Chocolate Cookies
Chocolate No Bake Cookies.jpg

I could not find the family recipe, but this seems to match it.
Fast and easy to make.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (115 grams) butter (sliced into pieces)
  • 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
  • 1/4 cup (20 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup (125 grams) creamy peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups (300 grams) quick-cooking oats
Instructions
  • Gather all of your ingredients and measure everything out. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. ( I only needed one sheet, maybe my cookies are larger.)
  • Combine the butter, sugar, milk, and unsweetened cocoa powder in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat, making sure to stir often until the butter is melted and everything is well combined. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and allow to boil for 60 seconds (make sure to set a timer!) stirring occasionally.
  • Remove from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla extract until fully combined. Stir in the oats and mix until all of the oats are coated with the mixture and everything is well combined.
  • Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets (I like to use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop). Allow to cool for 20 to 30 minutes, serve, and enjoy!

Reactions: anika200

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Classic No Bake Chocolate Cookies

I could not find the family recipe, but this seems to match it.
Fast and easy to make.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup (115 grams) butter (sliced into pieces)
  • 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
  • 1/4 cup (20 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup (125 grams) creamy peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups (300 grams) quick-cooking oats
Instructions
  • Gather all of your ingredients and measure everything out. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. ( I only needed one sheet, maybe my cookies are larger.)
  • Combine the butter, sugar, milk, and unsweetened cocoa powder in a large saucepan and heat over medium heat, making sure to stir often until the butter is melted and everything is well combined. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and allow to boil for 60 seconds (make sure to set a timer!) stirring occasionally.
  • Remove from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla extract until fully combined. Stir in the oats and mix until all of the oats are coated with the mixture and everything is well combined.
  • Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets (I like to use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop). Allow to cool for 20 to 30 minutes, serve, and enjoy!
I was looking at this recipe today and recognized, hands down the superiority of English measeurment when it comes to cooking, :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do you have a good stew recipe?

Basic Beef Stew
  • 1 package of stew meat (cubed).
  • 1 large onion.
  • 3 large, or 7-8 small potatoes (An excellent possibly better substitute: turnips)
  • 1 package of frozen corn (not on the cob).
  • 1 package of frozen carrots.
  • 3 cans of beef broth.
  • White flour
  • Vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
Peel, slice and dice the onion. Wash and cut up the potatoes.

Pour some flour in a bowl, then dump in the cubed beef and mix to coat each piece of beef. Brown this beef in a skillet with oil. You can be liberal with the flour because this will add body to the stew liquid.

Dump all of the ingredients in a pot or a slow cooker. I prefer the latter, preparing it in the morning, and setting it to 6-8 hours and let it go for a tasty stew. If you cook it in a pot on low-med heat, you have to keep an eye on the liquid level and I assume this would be for a couple of hours.

Usually, I add some sprinkles of hot sauce to a bowl of the final product to excite it a little. :)

Next time, I’m going to try this recipe which includes, red wine, red wine vinegar, and bay leaves: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/4735-old-fashioned-beef-stew
News flash- I had actually forgotten, but we used to make this with turnips instead of potatoes, made some yesterday with turnips and green beans and the difference in taste is subtle but, the turnips actually absorb the flavor of the stew, while the potatoes don’t And imo, it tastes better. 🥳

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Crusty Beef Casserole (Southern Living 1982 Annual Edition)

IMG_3123.jpeg

This is delicious and easy to make.
Notes:
  • This is good as is, but in a 12x8x2“ pan, you could double the meat (requiring an increase in other Ingredients-tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic) for a thicker casserole.
  • I go lighter on the chili power, say half, but I found the 2 Tbs called for in the recipe to be edible. To test your own boundaries, the first time making this, I go with 1 Tbs. Note, I used ground turkey so maybe for beef?

Ingredients
  • 1 Lb of Ground Beef (I prefer chicken or turkey).
  • 1/4 Cup Onion minced.
  • 1 clove Garlic minced (Can be doubled, personal preference.)
  • 2- 8oz cans Tomato Sauce.
  • 2 TBS- Chili Power (some go lighter on the chili powder).
  • 1 Cup shredded Cheddar Cheese.
  • 1- 16oz can Pinto Beans (undrained).
  • 1- 6oz package Cornbread Mix. (get ingredients for cornbread mix, likely egg, milk).
Instructions
  • Cook ground beef, onion, garlic in skillet, until beef is brown crumbly. Drain pan drippings.
  • Mix in Tomato Sauce and Chili Powder.
  • Spoon meat mixture into lightly greased 12”x8”x2” pan.
  • Top with Cheese.
  • Spoon Beans over cheese.
  • Mix cornbread according to the package directions and spread on top.
  • Bake @400F for 25 min or until cornbread is golden

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
  • 12Mar24-finished page 3 of the directory. Added to post 1 Recipe Directory- Scone Recipe, Bertolli Shrimp Scampi, Jambalaya, Southwestern Soup, Szechuan Beans, Thai Basil Chicken, Beef Stew, Grilled Fish Filets-

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lasagna Soup
-Very good, easy to make. I used ground turkey and chicken broth. I boiled the Lasanga noodles seperately, then added them to the soup.

IMG_3151.jpeg

Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground beef, (Italian sausage can be used, or substitute chicken and chicken broth for the beef and beef broth.)
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 4 cups (32 ounces) low sodium beef broth (chicken broth can be substituted)
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 6 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces (about 6-8 ounces; see Note)

CHEESE TOPPING:​

• 8 ounces 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  • In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, brown beef and onion over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 30-60 seconds. Drain.
  • Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, and Italian seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil and stir in lasagna pieces. Reduce heat slightly and cook for about 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • For the Cheese Topping: In a small bowl, mixture together the ricotta, Parmesan, and salt.
  • To serve, spoon soup in a bowl and top with a dollop of the cheese mixture. Garnish with chopped parsley or fresh basil if desired. To eat, stir in cheese mixtures and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.

NOTES​

You can use any small shaped pasta in place of the lasagna noodles just use about 2 1/2 cups. The lasagna noodles really give it that authentic texture.
Also, if you are making ahead of time it would be a good idea to boil the lasagna noodles separately and then add them before eating. The lasagna noodles really soak up the liquid if they sit in the soup for a while. You can add some beef broth if you need to thin it out.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Lasagna Soup
-Very good, easy to make. I used ground turkey and chicken broth.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground beef, (Italian sausage can be used, or substitute chicken and chicken broth for the beef and beef broth.)
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 4 cups (32 ounces) low sodium beef broth (chicken broth can be substituted)
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 6 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces (about 6-8 ounces; see Note)

CHEESE TOPPING:​

• 8 ounces 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  • In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, brown beef and onion over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 30-60 seconds. Drain.
  • Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, and Italian seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil and stir in lasagna pieces. Reduce heat slightly and cook for about 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • For the Cheese Topping: In a small bowl, mixture together the ricotta, Parmesan, and salt.
  • To serve, spoon soup in a bowl and top with a dollop of the cheese mixture. Garnish with chopped parsley or fresh basil if desired. To eat, stir in cheese mixtures and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.

NOTES​

You can use any small shaped pasta in place of the lasagna noodles just use about 2 1/2 cups. The lasagna noodles really give it that authentic texture.
Also, if you are making ahead of time it would be a good idea to boil the lasagna noodles separately and then add them before eating. The lasagna noodles really soak up the liquid if they sit in the soup for a while. You can add some beef broth if you need to thin it out.
That sounds delicious.

I would imagine that there must be a good vegetarian equivalent; some of the Italian pasta and bean soup recipes might fall into such a category.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.