Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA

This Table of Contents is Incomplete (March 2024)
  • 12Aug 22: Note for Readers: I am adding a table of contents in this first post that includes the recipes contained in this thread- Huntn.

Post your favorite recipes for desserts, entrees, snacks, appetizers, anything!

If you have any questions, do not ask them here. Instead PM me. This thread is for recipes only. Not questions. Thanks.

Requirements:

1. You must post a list of ingredients and a list of the directions.
2. You must post a picture of the preparation. (All ingredients and supplies)
3. You must post a picture of the finished product.
4. Post either appetizer, snack, entree, dessert, or side. This is so we know where to put your recipe.

Thread Recipe Directory (being updated, edited as of 12Aug22)
(Date= date posted)

Updates:
  • 12Mar24-Scone Recipe, Bertolli Shrimp Scampi, Jambalaya, Southwestern Soup, Szechuan Beans, Thai Basil Chicken, Beef Stew, Grilled Fish Filets- finished page 3 of the directory!
  • 24Aug- Made it to page 2 recording recipes, will be adding recipe links for navigating directly to the recipe post.
  • 19Aug22- Total added 6 Appetizers, 1 Side, 8 Entrees, 3 Deserts, 1Drink. All of those listed to date are on page 1 of this thread.
Appetizers:

Sides:
Entrees:
Deserts:
Drinks:

Misc:

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and rhett7660

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Chipotle Pasta! (A healthy adaption from Guy Fieri's recipe)
Yield: 2 servings. Total time: 20 minutes (prep: 10, cook:10)

IMG_0747.JPG
(This is a very early version, with peas, that I did not think fit)

Recommended with Whole Wheat Penne or Mostaccioli.

Great with grilled chicken, smoked sausage, or grilled shrimp.

Chipotle Sauce Ingredients:
Combine, then puree:
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce (hot- recommended: Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Chipotle or mild: Sweet Baby Ray's Original)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce with a touch of brown sugar to taste
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp red chili flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Add to sauce pan and heat on medium heat until hot. Reduce heat to low.

Add one of the following:
Regular: 4 ounces heavy cream
Healthy: 4 ounces fat free half & half
Crazy: 2 ounces Dark Rum and 2 ounce heavy cream (recommended for hot version)​

Stir on low heat for a few minutes.

For your serving, add pasta, meat, and some chipotle sauce to a large bowl. Cover bowl with plate. Grip bowl tightly and plate as if you were eating a hamburger (Illustrated), flip upside-down, and shake it! (up and down, forward and back, left to right).

Top with shreaded or grated Parmesan cheese.

Beverage paring recommendation:
Cool the burn: Light lagers or Amber Ales - Michelob Ultra, Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois
Up the ante: Pale Ales - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Magic Hat #9, and Dogfish Head 90 Minute.​

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Here's the recipe for no-bake cookies:

2 cups of sugar
1/2 milk
1 stick of butter
4 tablespoons of cocoa

Cook together in pot over heat for 1 minute and 30 seconds start counting after full boil. Remove from heat and quickly add the following things.

3 cups of quick-cooking oats (oatmeal)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 peanut butter

Mix until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper, cool and serve. Makes about 50 cookies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Hot wing dip. Got this one from a family friend. I usually double it for a large party (20+ people)

Yields: 4 cups; Total time: 25 minutes (5 prep, 20 cook)

ae36758a-106b-f6a8.jpg

ae36758a-108b-850c.jpg

***Ingredients:***

8oz softened cream cheese

1/2 cup of hot sauce

1/2 cup of ranch dressing

25oz of chunked, canned chicken in water. Drained.

***Directions:***

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

2. Put the cream cheese into a deep baking dish. Stir until it is smooth.

ae36758a-54d7-5e2e.jpg

3. Mix in the ranch dressing, then hot sauce, then the chicken.

ae36758a-54e8-b0db.jpg

ae36758a-552b-d7a6.jpg

4. Bake for 20 minutes.

Serve with celery, crackers, chips, bread, pretty much anything. I made a sandwich out of it once. I ate it with zucchini last week. Anything goes.

Last edited:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Requirements:
1. You must post a list of ingredients and a list of the directions.
2. You must post a picture of the preparation. (All ingredients and supplies)
3. You must post a picture of the finished product.

So far, nobody in the thread has done this.

Therefore, I must intervene.

I call this one "Captain Cornbread's Rootin', Tootin', Big Boot-Scootin', Hold Your Nose Coz You're Gonna Be Pootin', Throw The Dog in the Pool, Pull The Kids out of School, and Give Daddy Something to Drink That's Cool" Chili.

Ingredients:

DSC01263.jpg

4 lbs course-ground chili meat (you can substitute some or all of this with strips of round steak)
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped and divided
2 fresno peppers, chopped and divided
1 hot yellow chile, chopped
2 T Cilantro
1 red onion
2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans red kidney beans (optional)
2 Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili Kits (or, if you live with my wife, False Alarm Chili Kits :eek:)
2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
1/4 cup Crisco

Chop the vegetables. Pull aside one of the fresno peppers and one of the jalapeno peppers for the cornbread.

DSC01265.jpg

Brown the beef. Drain off most (but not all) of the fat - add the chopped onion and remainder of the chopped peppers.

DSC01269.jpg

The Wick Fowler's chili kits come with all the spices separated, so you can adjust to your tastes. I generally leave out almost all of the salt, and when Mrs. Tomorrow is joining me for dinner, I leave out most or all of the cayenne pepper.

DSC01273.jpg

Add the seasonings, the cilantro, and the tomatoes. Now, men have fought and died over whether or not beans belong in chili, but the resolution to this is simple: if you like 'em, put 'em in.

DSC01276.jpg

While the chili is simmering, it's time to make the cornbread. Follow the instructions on the Jiffy box, with two exceptions:

1. Sautee the red and green peppers you saved and put them into the batter.

2. Preheat a glass pan in the oven with about 1/4 cup of Crisco in it. Pour the batter into the pan with the hot Crisco and bake. The Crisco will make a wonderful crunchy crust.

Serve the whole thing in a bowl with cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!

IMG_0453.jpg

Reactions: anika200 and Arcade

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Moved the apple pie here. I'm doing something new with the first post...

Here's one for apple pie

Yields: 6-8 servings; Total time: 1 hour and 30 Minutes (prep: 30, cook: 10)

img_5538.jpg

Not my pie! But it should look like this when done.

ingredients;

For the filling:

8 apples
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons of flour

For the dough:

2 1/2 all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks of butter, cubed
1/4-1/2 cup ice water
Egg-lightly beaten for egg wash
Cinnamon sugar, to dust the top.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C)

In a food processor combine flour, salt, and sugar and mix it. Add butter and slowly add ice water. Then mix until dough forms.

Remove the dough and cut it into two sections. Pat them into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Now put them in the fridge for one hour.

In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and flour. In a large mixing bowl add the peeled and sliced apples. Sprinkle spice and flour mixture over the apples. Toss them until they apples are completely coated.

Remove one disk of dough. Roll it on a LIGHTLY floured surface. Shape it to fit the pie pan and cut off the excess.

Pot the apple mixture into the pan and add butter to the top of the mixture. Remove the second dough disk and roll out to fit the top of the pie. With a slight overhang. Place it on top of apple mixture and crimp edges to seal. Get a knife and add 4-6 slits to the to of the pie crust. Brush egg wash on top of the pie. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. The sugar should caramelize on top of the pie creating a nicely browned surface. Place on a baking tray in oven for 50 minutes. LET IT COOL BEFORE SLICING!! Refrigerate the leftovers (if there are any!)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I can share a recipe for stapler flavored jello. It's my friend Jim's recipe.....maybe you know him? I think he works at a paper company in your town.....:p;)

8019616125017346304.400_600r

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I made a meal today based on two recipes I found. Grilled chicken with spinach and melted mozzarella with a side of rosemary roasted potatoes.

20120620-4wa9h83n4wsn2c3jermese5mu.jpg

For the chicken:

Ingredients:
21 oz (3 large) chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise to make 6 cutlets
salt, pepper and ground nutmeg to taste
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
10 oz frozen spinach, drained (I used fresh spinach)
3 oz mozzarella
olive oil spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly spray a grill with oil. Cook chicken on the grill until no longer pink, careful not to overcook or you'll have dry chicken.

Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan on medium heat. Add oil and garlic, sauté a few seconds, add spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook a few minutes until heated through.

When chicken is done, lay on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment for easy clean-up. Divide spinach evenly between the 6 pieces and place on top. Top each with half oz mozzarella and bake until melted, about 6-8 minutes.

For the potatoes:

Ingredients:

1.5kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
olive oil
1 bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
red wine vinegar
50g butter, cut into little cubes
a bunch of fresh rosemary, leaves picked

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5. Peel your potatoes with a knife or speed peeler and cut any larger ones so they’re all an even-size - twice the size of a squash ball is about right. Wash your potatoes in cold water to get rid of any extra starch then tip into a large pot, cover with cold water and season well. Bring to the boil and cook for about 6 to 7 minutes, so that they’re parboiled, then drain in a colander and leave to steam dry for 3 minutes. Give the colander a bit of a shake to help chuff up the potatoes – this will help to make them super crisp later on.

Tip your potatoes into a tray or pan in one layer, and add the butter then season really well with salt and pepper. Toss your potatoes in the butter, or use a spoon or fish slice to mix it all up. You could get the potatoes up to this stage the day before, simply cover them with cling film or tin foil and pop in the bottom of your fridge or in a cool place until you need them. Put your potatoes in the hot oven to cook for 30 minutes until lightly golden and three quarters cooked.

Gently squash each potato with a potato masher to increase the surface area – the more of your potato that’s in contact with the pan, the crispier it will be. You now want to prepare the rest of the flavourings. Add a good lug of olive oil to a small bowl and add the herbs, garlic and a splash of red wine vinegar, then scrunch and mix it up a bit. Add the flavour to your potatoes and give the pan a good shake, then pop back in the hot oven for 10 to 15 minutes until perfect for your liking. You’re looking for gnarly, crispy, bubbly and delicious.

Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain off some of the excess fat, then tuck in!

The potatoes are to die for!!

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
Here's one from a book that by the looks of it is pretty old. I didn't create it, it was made by Nellie Speroff, Mary Lou Weaver and Helen Wetzel. It's pretty similar to this recipe but from what I see it isn't the same.

It's basically a cinnamon cake with a brown sugar syrup underneath. It's pretty good with ice cream. (I would post my own picture, but I don't have one and can't make it because I don't have all the ingredients needed.)

Cinnamon Pudding (Dessert):

Ingredients:

Syrup:

1-1/2 cups cold water
2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup pecans (optional)

Batter:

2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon (add more if desired)
2 teaspoons melted butter
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (add more if desired)

Directions:

Boil water, brown sugar, and butter for 3 minutes; add pecans. Pour liquid in bottom of baking dish [I think the one we use is 9" by 9" and two liters, but I'm not sure]. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour on top of liquid ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit until lightly browned, about 35 to 40 minutes.

Here's what it should look like:

8.jpg

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I'm game!

0712-skirt-steak-fajitas-lgn.jpg

I made this verbatim, as I wanted to try both Flay's plus Father Leo's recipe, especially since Father Leo beat Flay in a Throwdown! Besides, it isn't often that you can say that a 7th degree black belt (I believe Tae Kwon Do), breakdancing Filipino Catholic Priest beats an Iron Chef!

Anywho, here's Flay's recipe:

Red Curry Marinated Skirt Steak Fajitas
Total time: 6 hours
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
Inactive: 4 hours

Ingredients

BBQ Rub
3/4 cup ancho chile powder
1/4 cup sweet paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt

BBQ Sauce
6 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup water
1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon molasses
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Barbecued Onions
BBQ Rub, recipe above
BBQ Sauce, recipe above
2 Vidalia onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
Canola oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Pickled Roasted Peppers
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 roasted red bell peppers, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
2 roasted yellow bell peppers, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves

Avocado Crema
2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup water
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Fajitas:

1/4 cup red curry paste
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut in half or thirds crosswise
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup clover honey
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
12 (6-inch) flour tortillas, wrapped in foil and warmed on the grill for 5 minutes
BBQ Onions
Pickled Roasted Peppers
Avocado Crema

Directions

For the rub:

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and store, tightly covered in a dark, dry, place.

For the BBQ sauce:

Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 10 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.

Transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth, season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a bowl, and allow to cool at room temperature. Sauce will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator stored in a tightly sealed container.

For the onions:

Heat grill to medium. Brush the onion slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Season one side of the slices with bbq rub.

Grill the onions rub-side down until lightly golden brown. Flip over, brush with bbq sauce and grill until just cooked through. Separate the slices into rings and serve.

For the peppers:

Combine vinegars, garlic, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Put the pepper and oregano in a medium bowl, add the vinegar mixture and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.

For the crema:

Combine the avocados, water, lime juice, rice vinegar and honey and in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the cilantro, salt and pepper and blend a few seconds just to incorporate.

For the fajitas:

Combine the curry paste, canola oil, and a 1/4 cup of the lime juice in a food processor and process until smooth.

Place the steak in a large baking dish and add half the marinade. Turn to coat the steak in the marinade, cover and refrigerate the steak for at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours.

Whisk together the honey and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice in a bowl.

Heat grill to high or cast iron pan or griddle over high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill the steak until golden brown and slightly charred on both sides, brushing with the honey-lime glaze a few times and cooked to medium-rare, about 12 minutes total. Remove from the grill and let sit 10 minutes before slicing across the grain into thin slices. Place the meat on a platter and immediately drizzle with the honey-lime dressing.

Lay warm tortillas on a flat surface, put a few slices of the beef down the center, top with onion slices, pickled peppers and a dollop of avocado crema...roll and eat.

I'm tempted to try this with a Walla Walla onion instead of a sweet vidalia, but I think the Vidalia onion wins out. Barring copyright issues, I'll see if I can post Father Leo's recipe.

BL.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
My favorite carnitas recipe:

2010_7_8-slow-cooked-carnitas.jpg

Slow-Cooker Carnitas
makes 20-30 taco-sized servings

1 (6-8 pound) pork butt, also called pork shoulder
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
8 whole cloves garlic, smashed
2 chipotle peppers, chopped finely (canned or dried)
1 small can diced chili peppers
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup orange or pineapple juice

Trim excess fat from the meat and discard. Cut into 3"-4" chunks and brown in hot skillet (do not cook, just brown).

Rub garlic into browned pork chunks (can be done before browning if desired).

Combine dry ingredients (don't skip that cinnamon!). Coat all sides of pork chunks with dry ingredients.

Place pork in the slow-cooker and add the juice, diced tomatoes, and diced chili peppers. Set to cook on LOW for 8 hours. Meat is done when it literally falls off the bone. When cool enough to handle, lift the meat from the juices and place in a large bowl. Remove the bone, then shred the meat.

Skim the fat from the juices and keep as a medium for re-heating the meat.

For carnitas tacos, reheat the meat and serve in well heated (cook them good!) corn tortillas with sour cream or guacamole, cilantro, chopped red onion and topped with shredded cabbage.

carnitas-taco-jpg.23482

I found the recipe here, but modified it slightly:
http://www.thekitchn.com/slowcooking-in-the-summer-heat-121376

Michael

Last edited:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Looking through a cookbook, I found a frozen margarita recipe written on an envelope :confused: no idea why....

Anyway, here it is. A frozen strawberry margarita. (Virgin or alcoholic)

images

• Yields: 10 servings
  • Total time: 24 hours (Prep: 10 minutes. Freeze time: 23 hours and 50 Minutes)

Ingredients:

1. One package of frozen strawberries in syrup

2. One can of frozen Limeade concentrate

3. Three cups of water

4. 3/4 cup of either Tequila (for the alcoholic version) or orange juice (for the virgin one)

5. 1 Liter of Sprite or other lemon soda

Directions:

1. Put the berries and limeade in a blender and blend them until they are smooth

2. Add the water and tequila (or orange juice)

3. Pour into a container and freeze for 23 Hours and 50 Minutes

4. Serve by putting 1/2 slush and 1/2 soda in a glass.

5. Enjoy responsibly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Here is my moms recipe for meatloaf.

Yields: 4-5 servings

Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes. (Prep: 15 minutes; cook: 1 hour)

****still cooking. Will have final picture soon*****

ae36758a-c667-4f27.jpg

Ingredients:

1. 2 Pounds of ground beef
2. 1/2 cup of Italian style breadcrumbs
3. 2 eggs
4. Garlic salt (as much or as little as you want)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Mix (by hand) the beef and egg together in a large bowl.
3. Slowly add the breadcrumbs while mixing, you're done when the mean sticks together.
4. Add the garlic salt and mix it in.
5. Place the mixture in a baking dish and form it into a loaf.
ae36758a-5612-160f.jpg

6. Cook it for 1 hour.
7. Slice an serve.

Doesn't look that good, but it is!
ae36758a-8cc0-5612.jpg

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Finally. I have a few from another forum I frequent. All credit goes to Gafftaper, from http://www.controlbooth.com/.

I will admit, these don't have pictures, yet. I plan on trying as many as I can, and when I do, I'll bring pictures. Or, if you have pictures, post them or PM me with them, and I'll add them here and at http://mrrecipe.chaseh.net.

Steak - Dinner
Here's my favorite steak recipie.

The Teriyaki marinade... based on one from Food Network's Tyler Florence.
-1/2 cup of soy sauce... I use a low salt "Aloha Shoyou" (it's all they use in Hawaii)
-about a cup of GOOD orange juice (not from concentrate) or you can squeeze your own.
-2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
-2 giant squeezes of honey out of a standard bear.
-about 5 cloves of garlic crushed and diced... more or less depending on your taste
-2 or 3 tablespoons of fresh ginger, peeled and diced into TINY pieces
-3 or 4 green onions diced
-2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

Throw it in a ziplock bag with your steaks for at least 2 or 3 hours... overnight is even better.

Grill the steaks but DO NOT dump out the marinade. Pour all the marinade into a sauce pan and put it on medium-ish heat. Boil the marinade down until it thickens up. Take the steaks off the grill and pour the marinade, turned sauce on top.

Prosciutto Pinwheels - Snacks/Appetizer
Prosciutto Pinwheels

Ingredients:
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (available by the frozen pie crusts)
1 large egg, beaten lightly
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
1 red pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded, sliced 1-inch thick... (how to roast a pepper below)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
Put a little flour on the counter. If you have a marble top, work directly on the marble. It's important to keep the puff pastry sheets cool and work quickly.

"Arrange pastry sheet with a short side facing you and cut in half crosswise.
Arrange a half of the sheet with a long side facing you and brush edge of far side with some egg. Arrange 1/2 the prosciutto evenly on top of pastry, avoiding egg-brushed edge. Lay 1/2 the pepper strips lengthwise along side of pastry facing you.
Starting with side nearest you, roll pastry jelly-roll fashion and wrap in waxed paper. Make another log in same manner.
Chill pastry logs, seam sides down, until firm, at least 20 minutes
Cut logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pinwheels and arrange, cut sides down, 1-inch apart on baking sheets.
Bake pinwheels in batches in middle of oven until golden, about 14 to 16 minutes."

You can freeze them once you have them in log form and keep them for a while ahead of time, just defrost in the fridge for a day or two. Or just keep them in the fridge for a day or two.

How To Roast a Pepper - How To
Red, Green... even a spicy pepper like an Anaheim or jalapeno. Either put it on the barbecue or if you have a gas range, just throw it right on the fire of the burner. Cook it a LONG time on low to medium heat. You will see an outer layer of skin turn black and blister. That's what you want. Underneath there is wonderful soft meat waiting to eat. Keep rotating it until it is soft and the skin is blistered on all sides. When it's really black and nasty looking, remove the grill and put it in a paper bag. The steam trapped in the bag will help the skin peel off. Let it cool a little in the bag. Then remove the skin, use water to help if you need it. Slice it up, you may or may not want to include the seeds depending on the recipe... you don't want the seeds in the recipe above. Roast some peppers and throw them on a hamburger or a grilled chicken breast sandwich with some bacon.

Garlic Cream Cheese Onion Dip - Snack/Appetizer
Garlic Cream Cheese Onion Dip.

-Two bars of cream cheese... leave them out of the fridge for an hour to make them easier to work with.

-Milk... depends on how thin you want the dip.

-About 1/4-1/2 of a medium sized red onion diced up small

-About 2 tablespoons of Flat Leaf Italian Parsley diced up small

-About one head of roasted Garlic (more or less to taste)

-Mix them up! Add milk to thin it out... make it as thin or thick as you like. When you are done, chill it in the fridge and the flavors will blend together. This will stiffen up the cream cheese quite a bit.

Serve with something thick like baked pita chips or bagel chips. Here in the Pacific Northwest we have these wonderful hand made kettle style potato chips called "Tim's Cascade Chips" they make a Maui Sweet onion chip that is AWESOME with this dip.

How to roast garlic.
- How To
-Preheat oven to 400.
-Lay the head of garlic on a counter on it's side. Cut off the pointy end leaving the stem end. Don't cut too deep as you will remove too much garlic. However, make sure you expose a little bit of every clove.
-Get yourself a piece of Aluminum foil big enough to wrap the head in. Lay the garlic in the foil with the cut side up.
-Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the garlic... just enough to cover all the exposed parts of cloves.
-Wrap it up in the foil bake in oven for 40 minutes.

Paula Deans Cornbread, Gaff style - Side
Ingredients
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus butter for baking dish
1 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 big squeezes of honey from the bear... that's probably 4 or 5 tablespoons but I don't measure I just squeeze.

Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, Honey, and butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold together until there are no dry spots (the batter will still be lumpy). Pour the batter into the baking dish.
Bake until the top is golden brown and tester inserted into the middle of the corn bread comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Pineapple Salsa - Snack/Appetizer
Pineapple Salsa:
One 14oz-ish can of crushed tomatoes... preferably fire roasted, but crushed is the key word here. I buy "Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Crushed tomatoes" at my local fancy grocery store.

One Small can(tuna can size) of crushed pineapple. I have experimented with using more than this but found it too sweet for my taste. The second time you make this use extra pineapple. (I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to try adding some Mango to it in the future)

About 1/3-1/2 of a small sweet onion finely diced

A couple heaping table spoons of finely chopped cilantro... more or less depending on your taste (Wash the bunch, pull the leaves off of the stems, then chop the leaves, toss the stems)

Add hot peppers to taste. Jalapeno's vary significantly in their fire power. I've had some batches that three peppers is far too mild, at other times a half pepper is well above "medium". I usually buy two Jalepenos and start by dicing up half of one, then add a little more as needed. If there are lots of seeds in the pepper it will be hotter than ones with very few seeds. If you like your salsa hot use 1 or two Serrano peppers instead. If you like to feel the pain then go straight to a Habenero.

Mix well, and add salt to taste. If you have some fresh lemon, or lime juice they go well with this, but start skip them the first time you make it. It will get better after a couple of hours in the fridge so make it early and let the flavors have some time to merge together.

Garlic Salsa - Snack/Appetizer
Like Garlic?
Try Gaff's Roasted Garlic Salsa!
Same recipe as above, just add 1-2 heads of roasted Garlic instead of the pineapple. When you are done, squeeze the garlic out of it's shell, mash it up, and mix it in the salsa. I cook two heads of garlic, add one, then add everything else. Then I gradually add more garlic and more salt to the mix until I am happy with the overall flavor. I like a little less Cilantro in the garlic salsa than the pineapple. I also like it milder than the pineapple salsa. The sweetness of the pineapple goes really well with some serious heat. Usually I'll take both of these salsas to a party. I leave the garlic fairly mild (1/4-1/2 jalapeno) and I crank up the heat in the second one 1-2 jalapenos. Again, make it a couple hours early so that the flavors have some time to blend. I think they are a lot better after an overnight in the fridge.

And of course I like Tostito's Scoops so that you can really heap the salsa on the chip.

Guacamole - Snack/Appetizer
I have a friend who married a mexican woman. I was so excited to go to their house and taste her guacamole. It was fantastic. I imagined a secret family recipe passed down by shriveled old women to their grand daughters. Generation to generation this recipe has been fine tuned and secret ingredients were devised and added. I asked what her recipe was, expecting to hear that it was a family secret and she couldn't tell me. Instead she said "I buy the Calavo at Costco, then I add some fresh cilantro and red onion to it." Now you too know the secret to authentic Mexican Guacamole. ;)

Gaff's Gilled Salmon - Dinner
Okay let's get fancy and grill some Salmon! This is one of Mrs. Gaff's favorite recopies. Sorry East Coasters but your Atlantic Farm raised Salmon sucks! Hopefully you have a way to get some Alaskan Copper River Salmon or at least something that swam wild in the Pacific for awhile.

1) Get a lot of aluminum foil set to work molding a cooking tray 1 1/2"-2" deep to hold your salmon. You could also buy a disposable aluminum cooking pan I suppose. It needs to hold your salmon and a bunch of other stuff.

2) Lay the salmon fillet in your tray skin down and grind a little pepper on him.

3) Take a large Orange, a Large Lemon, and a large sweet onion and slice them. Smother the salmon with them. Just mix them up and pile them all over the place.

4) Drizzle honey all over the salmon... maybe a half cup

5) Add a couple cups of Orange juice... the good stuff like Tropicana Pure Premium Grove Stand... not from concentrate! You don't want the salmon swimming but you are going to be basting it so you need enough juice to go around.

6) Add about a 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice. The stuff that comes in the plastic lemon. (not lemonade)

7) Start the grill and Baste. Use a spoon to scoop all that juice up and drizzle it over the salmon.

I use a probe thermometer to know when it's done. It should be 145 degrees in the thickest part of the fish.

It's sweet, fruity, and fantastic.

:eek: Can anyone else beat that many in one post? I dare you too! :p

(Quality over Quantity)

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Chicken florentine with pesto

20120621-ftf94wwarh33rdc3uiuwh6rjbj.jpg

Ingredients:

12-16 ounces dried short pasta (bowties, penne, gemelli, etc)
4 chicken breast cutlets (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds total)
Salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped, about 1 cup
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup white wine or stock
8-16 ounces of fresh spinach, washed, long stems removed and chopped
Black pepper
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup (or more) pesto

Directions:

1 Bring a large pot of salted water (add enough salt so that the water tastes salty) to a boil. Add the dried pasta and cook until al dente.

2 While preparing the pasta, cook the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and brown the chicken breasts on both sides over medium-high heat. They don't need to be cooked all the way through, just browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

3 Add the chopped onion to the pan and sauté 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the onions cook, slice the chicken into strips. Put any pieces that are cooked all the way through in one pile, and put the ones that still need a little cooking in another pile.

4 When the onions are just beginning to brown, add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the white wine or stock and boil vigorously until the liquid is reduced by half.

5 Add the spinach and the undercooked pieces of chicken to the pan. Using tongs, turn them over to coat them with the juices in the pan. Continue to cook, turning and stirring often, until the spinach is wilted and the chicken cooked through, about 2 minutes.

6 Turn off the heat and add some black pepper, the pile of cooked chicken pieces and the pesto. Stir to combine. Drain the pasta put it in a large bowl. Add the cream to the saute pan and stir well to combine. Add the contents of the pan to the bowl with the pasta and mix well. Serve at once.

Yield: Serves 6-8.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
One-pan hash potatoes with bacon, tomato and egg

20120621-m8yfqcfwbbgu87bwacd98kwtm8.jpg

Ingredients:

800g new potatoes, scrubbed clean
3 tbsp olive oil
6 rashers streaky smoked bacon, roughly snipped
2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
4 large eggs

Directions:

1. Chop the potatoes into small cubes. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turning golden.
2. Add the bacon to the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. By now the potatoes should be golden and crisp at the edges.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and toss well. Cook for a few minutes, until they begin to wilt and soften. Stir in the spring onions and season with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Push the potato hash mixture to the sides of the pan, making a big circle in the centre. Add half the remaining oil to the circle, then crack in 2 eggs and fry until the whites are set and the yolks hot.
5. Divide the hash between 4 plates, add the fried eggs to 2, then return the pan to the heat. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the remaining eggs the same way. Serve with sausages, if you like.

Serves: 4

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
How to: Poach an egg.

Poaching eggs is simple, once you get the hang of it.

To start, you will need:

1. Medium saucepan
2. Water
3. A small bowl
4. Eggs
5. 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar

Directions:

1. Put 3 inches of water in the saucepan, heat it until it simmers.
2. Crack the egg into the small bowl. If there are any shells, remove them now.
3. When the water simmers, add the vinegar.
4. Slowly dump the egg from the bowl to the water.
poach%20egg%20drop_use.jpg

5. When the egg whites become solid, your egg is done. Take it out with a spoon.
poach%20fishing_use.jpg

6. Let it cool and eat.

Reactions: anika200

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
^^ An alternate method is to leave the egg in the bowl, put it in the water with a lid, and steam it. This is a good way to keep the egg in a nice neat shape (e.g. for eggs Benedict or a breakfast buddy).

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
^^ An alternate method is to leave the egg in the bowl, put it in the water with a lid, and steam it. This is a good way to keep the egg in a nice neat shape (e.g. for eggs Benedict or a breakfast buddy).

Yes, I agree.

Me Mom used to use an egg poach form, in a frying pan, 1/2 full of water.

Eating that "thing" would put me in mind of trying to choke-down a jellyfish, or something much worse, which I will not convey, as those on the West coast might be eating.

:eek:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yes, I agree.

Eating that "thing" would put me in mind of trying to choke-down a jellyfish, or something much worse, which I will not convey, as those on the West coast might be eating.

LOL.... just cracked me up. "That thing." :D

Michael

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Yes, I agree.

LOL.... just cracked me up. "That thing." :D

Michael

Please, only post a recipe (or a modification to one) this will keep the thread easy to read. We don't want to have the mods have to continue cleaning this (and who knows. They may not help us again)

To abide by the rules, here is a recipe for grilled pizza.

I don't have a picture. But I'll be making it soon, and will post some soon.

Ingredients:

1. Pre made pizza crust (I used "Luigi's" brand. But whatever you find you can use)
2. One can of Alfredo pasta sauce.
3. Sliced mozzarella cheese (enough to cover your dough)
4. Shredded Cheddar cheese (enough to sprinkle over the pizza)
5. One pack of pre cooked bacon

Directions:

1. Take your dough and spread the sauce on it.
2. Place one layer of mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
3. Chop the Bacon, and sprinkle some on the cheese.
4. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the bacon
5. Place on your grill, over medium heat.
6. Cook until the cheese melts and the crust becomes crispy.

Last edited:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Baby Back Ribs!

So yesterday being Independence Day and all, I smoked some baby back ribs for the family. Sounds simple enough, but I'll share the recipe just the same.

Start with three racks of baby backs.

IMG_0392.jpg

Build a fire in the fire box of your smoker. One chimney full of charcoal should be enough, but be prepared to add more if you need it.

The charcoal will be the primary source of heat, but you'll need wood to be the primary source of flavor. Forget about chips; they burn up too quickly. Get the logs instead. I used pecan, but you can use oak, hickory, apple, or just about any other hardwood. Mesquite is great for grilling but seems to have much too strong a flavor for smoking.

0c18eb74.jpg

While the fire is getting ready, prepare the ribs. I did this by simply opening the packages. Plenty of people like to use a dry rub, I don't think it's necessary but I do like to use a mop sauce, both for flavor and to seal in moisture.

My mop sauce is really quite simple:

IMG_0393.jpg

1 c cider vinegar
1 c 100% apple juice (NOT apple juice cocktail!)
1 c brown sugar (you can substitute molasses, honey, maple syrup, anything that's mostly sugar and gives a good flavor)
1 t whole black peppercorns, NOT crushed or ground
1 t kosher salt
1/2 yellow onion
1 bulb garlic

Peel the garlic and smash it with the flat of the knife blade or the back of a spoon - do NOT chop or grate it.

IMG_0395.jpg

Cut the onion into quarters, then in half again. You want big pieces here, nothing that's going to stick to the mop and stick to the meat.

IMG_0396.jpg

Remember, if you use chopped garlic or onion, those small pieces will stick to the meat and burn. You want only liquid on those ribs.

Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat. You're going to leave this on the stove (with the burner on low) throughout the cooking process.

IMG_0398.jpg

When the onions are soft and translucent, your mop sauce is ready.

Lay out the ribs on the side of the grill opposite the fire box. I use a rib rack to keep the ribs pretty much equal distance from the heat. Make sure there's a gap between each rack to let heat and smoke get between them.

IMG_0397.jpg

With barbecuing, the key is not the ingredients, it's the technique. You can't rush things. You're looking for a temperature between 200˚ and 225˚F. Too low and they won't cook; too high and they'll burn and dry out.

IMG_0401.jpg

About every half hour or so, baste the meat heavily with your mop sauce. (You DID leave it on the stove to stay warm, right?) If you put cold sauce on your ribs, it's going to cool the meat off and you'll be out there all day.

IMG_0400.jpg

There's no magic to how long these will need too cook, but 3-4 hours seems about right. Again, it's better to undercook them than to overcook them.

Please, please, whatever you do, get the "ribs so tender the meat falls off the bone" notion out of your head. Meat that falls off the bone is nothing but overcooked. These racks should gently bow when you hold them in the center with tongs, but they shouldn't break.

By now the apple juice and brown sugar from the mop will have caramelized and made a nice crispy "skin" on the very outside of the meat, sealing in the juices and the flavor.

IMG_0399.jpg

Take them off the smoker and let them sit about 10 minutes to rest and cool off before you slice them.

IMG_0402.jpg

For barbecue sauce, lots of folks like to make their own from scratch, but there's a better way. Dump a bottle of your favorite store-bought sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's) into a small saucepan over medium heat, and using the mop as a filter of sorts, pour some of your mop sauce into it. Texas-style sauce is much thinner than what you can usually find in a bottle; it shouldn't be thick like ketchup, it should have the consistency of maybe Italian salad dressing. And it should ALWAYS be served on the side.

Add some beans and mashed potatoes and you're done!

IMG_0403.jpg

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Let's get this thread going again!

This time there is going to be some new requirements, because summer is coming up, post your picnic, barbeque, or summer themes recipes!

I'll update the thread with the next theme soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.