Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Non recipe post-
If you access to a Costco, try their Padrino brand Beef and Serloin Tamales. Delicious! :)

44E3D52A-41BC-4143-99C2-F38A59363498.jpeg

Reactions: rafark

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quick Crab Quiche- hmm good.
  • Pie crust for 9 inch deep dish pie
  • 3 eggs beaten
  • 1- 6 oz can crabmeat
  • 1- 2.8 oz can fried onions
  • 1- 8 oz carton sour cream
  • 1 cup mild shredded cheddar cheese
Bake pie crust- I use pre-prepared, refrigerated pie crust, the type that is unrolled and place in a glass pie dish. Prick pie crust with fork, cook for 3 min at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and gently prick crust a second time, then cook for another 5 min, let cool.

Combine remaining ingredients mixing well. Pour into pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until set.

a8c7e4f54830927b6cbd8f0dd262bd7a.jpg

Not my picture​
Updated this recipe to use 2 cans of the more expensive lump crabmeat that I’ve found under the Bumblebee name at about $5 a can. That’s better. Makes two meals for 2 people.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Jambalaya

Ingredient List
  • Andouille Sausages (you can also use McCormick Grillmates Sausages)
  • Chicken breast cut up into .75" pieces
  • 1 Cup Celery - chopped/diced
  • 1 Cup Red Onions - diced
  • 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper - diced
  • 4 cloves garlic - minced
  • Peanut Oil
  • 1.25 (you can go as high as 1.5) Cups uncooked Rice
  • 1 Can Chicken Broth (2.5 cups)
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Salt
  • Ground Cayenne Pepper to taste
  • Cajun spices (Normally Tony Chechere's Spices or Louisiana Cajun Seasoning does the trick)
  • Red chili flakes
  • Tabasco Hot Sauce to taste
  • 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes (16 ounce)
  • File Power (2-3 Teaspoons)
  • Worcestershire sauce (2 Teaspoons to taste but I always add like 6)
  • OPTIONAL: McCormick Bourbon Brown Sugar spice (2 teaspoons to taste)
  • OPTIONAL: McCormick Applewood smoke spice (2 teaspoons to taste)
The two optionals are things I added to the recipe I was taught in order to bring out the flavors of the chicken and the sausage.

How to cook
  1. Heat 4 tablespoon of peanut oil in a large Dutch pan over medium heat. Season the sausage and chicken pieces with cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, and optional spices. Brown the sausage and chicken. After browning remove from pan via slotted spoon. Do not throw away excess oil and juices left over; leave in pan.
  2. Turn heat to medium high and throw in garlic, celery, onions and bell pepper. Saute these until tender.
  3. Add crushed tomatoes and saute while adding black pepper, cajun spice, salt, optional spices, File powder, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and Cayenne and red chili flake. Saute all for around 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add in chicken and sausage and saute (even the juices that came from post cooked chicken and sausage) in mixture for 8-10 minutes.
  5. Add Rice and saute for 3 minutes.
  6. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to a simmer.
  7. Taste mixture and add more spices to taste (spiciness depends on taste as final spiciness is achieved here)
  8. Cook until water is almost gone (20 min aprox.) and add more file powder and fluff rice.
  9. Serve accompanied by Southern Style Sweet Tea.

Hope y'all enjoy.
@Scepticalscribe as promised, here it is.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Nice thread.

Southwestern Soup
  • 1.5 c filtered water
  • One carrot
  • One celery stick
  • One green onion
  • 1/2 tomato
  • 1/4 of a red bell pepper
  • 1 inch zucchini
  • Small wedge of cabbage
  • One clove garlic
  • One wedge lime (with skin)
  • 1/2 jalapeño
  • 1 t vegetable bouillon
  • 1 t taco seasoning
  • 1/4 t Cumin
  • Pinch Himalayan rock salt
Add all ingredients in the above order to blender (I use Vitamix)
Purée on high for 6 minutes.
Add:
  • 1/4 c half & half
  • Handfull of rough chopped grilled chicken
1-3 very short pulses...(just to mix...not to shred chicken)

Bowl; top with a dollop of sour cream (or drizzle with heavy cream), chips, cheese, and chives.

748157EB-077F-4F48-8209-1DDDCCA1710B.jpeg

I made it for brunch.
Lobster bisque & bread tonight.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Szechuan Beans
  • 1 t Canola Oil
  • 1 t Sesame Oil
  • 2 T Soy
  • 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
  • 1 t Honey
  • 1 T Rice Vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
  • 1/4 t Crushed Red Pepper
  • 1 T Minced Ginger
Trim, wash, then steam beans for 4 minutes.
Over medium-high flame add oils and beans.
Cook for 4 minutes tossing occasionally.
Add remaining ingredients and cook another 3-4 minutes tossing occasionally.
Plate.

0B4477F4-7034-4FE6-8B53-BD28B82783EA.jpeg

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
No fish sauce? I usually throw in a dash or two of it. I tend to prefer the Philippine version, which includes a sour component (a unique lime) and some strong chilis. Regardless, fish sauce is pretty important, especially in certain European dishes that require anchovies to be used.

I've been trying to find a recipe I wrote down a very long time ago. It's a Californian take on cottage pie. One of those things you know you've got hiding in some binder but can't remember which. It'll come to me eventually.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Thai Basil Chicken
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tbsp oil to fry egg
  • 2 or 3 chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
  • 5 Garlic (Cloves)
  • 3-5 dried Thai red chilis (to tolerance)
  • 2 green onions; cut 1 inch pieces on diagonal
  • 1 Tbsp oil for stir frying
  • 1 tsp oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp regular soy
  • 1 Splash dark soy
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 handful of sweet basil, but Thail Holy Basil is more authentic
  1. Fry eggs in oil over med-high flame; set aside
  2. Crush chilis and garlic with a mortar and pestle
  3. Add chicken and sugar in pan with 1T oil; stir fry a minute or two on high flame...until just about done
  4. Add chillis, garlic, and green onion and toss regularly for a minute
  5. Add oyster sauce, light and dark soy; turning regularly with spatula for a minute
  6. Lay basil on top, cover and turn off flame.
  7. After a minute, turn with spatula to blend in basil
  8. Plate with rice if you wish.
  9. Top with fried egg

B2C9BBAC-C14A-4C53-B1B3-A1D7189AB607.jpeg
[doublepost=1519826681][/doublepost]Ps - The lobster bisque didn’t turn out too well. I try to simplify recipes but there’s a few delicate things going on in a bisque that simplifying is beyond my skills. I’m not convinced my regular bisque is all that good.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Bisques are simple to make but can be temperamental with certain things. I consider myself well versed in cooking and I still find some stuff difficult. I came up with my own fish bisque that's light on the dairy but much more attractive with a lot of vegetables and 1/3 fish, head included, simmered slowly. I haven't made in since 2010 or 2011 because it was a nightmare cooking it the four or five times I did.

There's a lot of dishes that are temperamental. I like to compare them to candy making. Some days it works out, some days it doesn't. Candy is relative to barometric pressure and humidity, bisques and the like depend on ingredients temperature and style of inclusion. If you read the espresso thread, you'll note I logged pages upon pages of perfecting a simple moka. It's a very simple concept of coffee making, but so easy to mess up.

Anyway, for rice what do you use or recommend?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Bisques are simple to make but can be temperamental with certain things. I consider myself well versed in cooking and I still find some stuff difficult. I came up with my own fish bisque that's light on the dairy but much more attractive with a lot of vegetables and 1/3 fish, head included, simmered slowly. I haven't made in since 2010 or 2011 because it was a nightmare cooking it the four or five times I did.

There's a lot of dishes that are temperamental. I like to compare them to candy making. Some days it works out, some days it doesn't. Candy is relative to barometric pressure and humidity, bisques and the like depend on ingredients temperature and style of inclusion. If you read the espresso thread, you'll note I logged pages upon pages of perfecting a simple moka. It's a very simple concept of coffee making, but so easy to mess up.

Anyway, for rice what do you use or recommend?

Very interesting. Thanks. I had better just buy bisque from now on. It’s over my head.

Honestly I’m not too particular with the rice. I typically look for short Shirakiku white rice because their bags look pretty. Lol, seriously.

I have a Zojirushi rice cooker (the best cooker in the world) so there’s almost always perfect rice ready. I only need to make it once or twice a week.

Btw - do you use rice to thicken your bisque?

I’m at the bottom of this bag. It’s tastes and cooks up fine to me.

5F20CCAC-AB9E-4635-BD7D-221068F93222.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Our Zojirushi doesn't like not having a full load. On the other hand, rice cooker pancakes are nice. It's more like a cake, but it's pretty damn good.

I use potato starch for just about everything. More stability and fine tuneability, no taste and silky smooth.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Winston Churchill Martini
  • Classic tumbler
  • No ice
  • Three fingers of your favorite gin
  • Gently pass a sealed upright bottle of vermouth over the tumbler
Enjoy

Ps - LLIF! (Lookout Liver It’s Friday)

Reactions: anika200

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thai Basil Chicken
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tbsp oil to fry egg
  • 2 or 3 chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
  • 5 Garlic (Cloves)
  • 3-5 dried Thai red chilis (to tolerance)
  • 2 green onions; cut 1 inch pieces on diagonal
  • 1 Tbsp oil for stir frying
  • 1 tsp oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp regular soy
  • 1 Splash dark soy
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 handful of sweet basil, but Thail Holy Basil is more authentic
  1. Fry eggs in oil over med-high flame; set aside
  2. Crush chilis and garlic with a mortar and pestle
  3. Add chicken and sugar in pan with 1T oil; stir fry a minute or two on high flame...until just about done
  4. Add chillis, garlic, and green onion and toss regularly for a minute
  5. Add oyster sauce, light and dark soy; turning regularly with spatula for a minute
  6. Lay basil on top, cover and turn off flame.
  7. After a minute, turn with spatula to blend in basil
  8. Plate with rice if you wish.
  9. Top with fried egg
View attachment 752708
[doublepost=1519826681][/doublepost]Ps - The lobster bisque didn’t turn out too well. I try to simplify recipes but there’s a few delicate things going on in a bisque that simplifying is beyond my skills. I’m not convinced my regular bisque is all that good.
This looks good! :)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Chili con carne and jalapeno cornbread seem to be on order for tomorrow. Maybe butter chicken on Sunday.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do you have a good stew recipe?

D4B8009A-216B-4B1E-8F3F-518B110CAFB5.jpeg

Basic Beef Stew (updated 7 Dec23)
  • 1 package of stew meat (cubed).
  • 1 large onion.
  • 3 large, or 7-8 small potatoes (An excellent possibly better substitute: turnips)
  • 1 package of fresh or frozen corn (not on the cob).
  • 1 package of fresh or frozen green beans (optional).
  • 1 package of fresh or frozen carrots.
  • 3 cans of beef broth.
  • White flour
  • Vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
Peel, slice and dice the onion. Wash and cut up the potatoes.

Pour some flour in a bowl, then dump in the cubed beef and mix to coat each piece of beef. Brown this beef in a skillet with oil. You can be liberal with the flour because this will add body to the stew liquid.

Dump all of the ingredients in a pot or a slow cooker. I prefer the latter, preparing it in the morning, and setting it to 6-8 hours and let it go for a tasty stew. If you cook it in a pot on low-med heat, you have to keep an eye on the liquid level and I assume this would be for a couple of hours.

Usually, I add some sprinkles of hot sauce to a bowl of the final product to excite it a little. :)

Next time, I’m going to try this recipe which includes, red wine, red wine vinegar, and bay leaves: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/4735-old-fashioned-beef-stew

Last edited:
Reactions: bradl

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Quick Crab Quiche- (1984 Southern Living Annual Recipe Book) recipe posted in this thread! :)

I've got the '85 book myself somewhere and a later 90s one. Pretty sure this recipe is in one of them as a reader favorite. One of them has an earlier rendition of the classic (or so I've been told) southern caramel cake. As in the one that takes forever to whip up by hand because if you used a mixer you'd burn the motor out.

I bet that quiche would be nice chilled with a tangy herb cream sauce.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've got the '85 book myself somewhere and a later 90s one. Pretty sure this recipe is in one of them as a reader favorite. One of them has an earlier rendition of the classic (or so I've been told) southern caramel cake. As in the one that takes forever to whip up by hand because if you used a mixer you'd burn the motor out.

I bet that quiche would be nice chilled with a tangy herb cream sauce.

WoW! It looks really great!
I am hungry now...

Lol. If you make it, I usually double the amount of crab, a 6oz can of Bumble Bee Lump Crabmeat, and a 6 Oz can of the regular less expensive shredded crab meat- Hmmm.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rs-recipe-thread.1389745/page-2#post-24496665

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Grilled Fish Fillets (Southern Living Cookbook 1987)
Used on catfish filets, which are delicious, no fishy taste.

BA592BB3-8D2E-465D-A4A3-31CF8FED7C40.jpeg
Not my image, but it looks like this, minus the parsley flakes.
Also Cooked on the grill, not in the pan.​
  • 6 fish fillets (3/4” thick)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 TSP Seasoned salt
  • 1/2 TSP paprika
  • 1/4 TSP red pepper
Place fillets in large shallow dish. Combine ingredients in a saucepan, cook, stirring constantly until butter melts. Pour marinade over fish. Cover, place in refrigerator for 1 hour (but it can sit in the fridge all day if you want).

Drain marinade, saving liquid. Place fillets in fish basket and grill over hot coals for 5 minutes on each side until flakey, basting with marinade.

Note- recipe alterations:
  • I don’t use a fish basket or know what that is. I place a piece of aluminum foil on the grill grating and cook the fish on that, placing the skin side up first so it is easier to get a spatula under it to flip before it becomes flakey and tends to fall apart. For catfish the skin has been removed, but you can still identify which side is the skin side.
  • I also sprinkle seasoned salt on the fish once it is on the grill.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Grilled Fish Fillets (Southern Living Cookbook 1987)
Used on catfish filets, which are delicious, no fishy taste.

View attachment 838978
Not my image, but it looks like this, minus the parsley flakes.​
  • 6 fish fillets (3/4” thick)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 TSP Seasoned salt
  • 1/2 TSP paprika
  • 1/4 TSP red pepper
Place fillets in large shallow dish. Combine ingredients in a saucepan, cook, stirring constantly until butter melts. Pour marinade over fish. Cover, place in refrigerator for 1 hour (but it can sit in the fridge all day if you want).

Drain marinade, saving liquid. Place fillets in fish basket and grill over hot coals for 5 minutes on each side until flakey, basting with marinade.

Note- recipe alterations:
  • I don’t use a fish basket or know what that is. I place a piece of aluminum foil on the grill grating and cook the fish on that, placing the skin side down first so it is easier to get a spatula under it to flip before it becomes flakey and tends to fall apart. For catfish the skin has been removed, but you can still identify which side is the skin side.
  • I also sprinkle seasoned salt on the fish once it is on the grill.

Well, I found a picture of a grilling basket, which would definitely make grilling fish easier. :) I think I’d want one that is non-stick for cleaning ease.

10C2000A-A8C8-4CDD-BF16-38C84B0B30B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Do you have a good stew recipe?

Basic Beef Stew

• 1 package of stew meat (cubed).
  • 1 large onion.
  • 3 large, or 7-8 small potatoes.
  • 1 package of frozen corn (not on the cob).
  • 1 package of frozen carrots.
  • 3 cans of beef broth.
  • White flour
  • Vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
Peel, slice and dice the onion. Wash and cut up the potatoes.

Pour some flour in a bowl, then dump in the cubed beef and mix to coat each piece of beef. Brown this beef in a skillet with oil. You can be liberal with the flour because this will add body to the stew liquid.

Dump all of the ingredients in a pot or a slow cooker. I prefer the latter, preparing it in the morning, and setting it to 6-8 hours and let it go for a tasty stew. If you cook it in a pot on low-med heat, you have to keep an eye on the liquid level and I assume this would be for a couple of hours.

Usually, I add some sprinkles of hot sauce to a bowl of the final product to excite it a little. :)

Next time, I’m going to try this recipe which includes, red wine, red wine vinegar, and bay leaves: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/4735-old-fashioned-beef-stew

I buy aged beef in the farmers' market, which means that the beef has been reared and slaughtered (and aged) by the people who are selling it to me.

This, I brown in small batches (in melted olive oil and butter) - so that the meat browns, rather than steams.

Carrots, onions and garlic (lots) are basic to every beef stew I prepare. I sauté them before adding them to the casserole.

Then, I also add good quality stock.

Other ingredients are optional, depending on how I wish to prepare the dish.

If I use wine to season the dish, celery and tomatoes may also be used. Plus, lardons of bacon (pancetta), browned first.

If I add beer, (for example, a rich, robust, Belgian stout), then, sometimes, I will use prunes, perhaps apricots, and vastly increase the amount of onions (and garlic) and thus focus on root vegetables, carrot and parsnip, all of which will be browned first by sautéing.

Any beef stew I prepare will be cooked or around - or, at least - five or so hours on a low heat.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Coquilles St. Jacques
A delicious scallop recipe from The Southern Living cookbook.

View attachment 743529
Not my image​

Ingredients
  • 3/4 Cup chopped fresh mushrooms
  • 3 Tbs chopped green onions (I use scallions)
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 1 Lb of fresh bay scallops
  • 1/2 Cup dry white or white cooking wine
  • 2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley ( I use dried from a bottle)
  • 1 Tbs lemon juice
  • 3/4 Tsp salt
  • Pinch of red pepper
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
  • 1 Cup Half and Half
  • 2 egg yokes
  • 1/4 Cup soft breadcrumbs
  • 1 Tbs butter melted
Create
  • Sauté mushrooms and onions in 3 Tbs butter in a large skillet until tender.
  • Add scallops, wine, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; cover and cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
  • Drain scallop mixture, reserving 3/4 Cup plus 2 Tbs of liquid and set aside.

• Melt 3 Tbs butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
  • Add flour, striiring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  • Gradually add Half and Half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly.
  • Beat egg yokes until thick and lemon colored.
  • Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot mixture into yokes, then add that back into remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
  • Gradually stir in the reserved scallop liquid (3/4 Cup plus 2 Tbs), fold in scallop mixture.

• Spoon mixture into 6 greased individual baking shells. (I use a single casserole dish.)
  • Combine breadcrumbs with 1 Tbs melted butter; sprinkle evenly over scallop mixture.
  • Place shells (or casserole dish) on a large baking sheet.
  • Broil 3 to 5 minutes or until top(s) are browned and bubbly.
  • Yield 6 servings.

I made this for dinner today, purchasing 1.5 lb of large sea scallops for $27 total. This is on the expense end for us, but we will get 2 meals out of it, so still better than the equivalent meal at the local sea food restaurant, if we could even find this on the menu. I used a Sauvignon Blanc for the wine and instead of dividing it up into individual servings, it all goes into a single large casserole bowl.

21B4D7E3-A240-43D3-8B61-91BB97698E65.jpeg
Mushrooms and scallions sautéed

970562D2-0AA6-4867-BCC4-15C180EF67D6.jpeg
Scallops and other goodies added, cooked for about 5 minutes on the stove.

60994A8A-10DB-47BE-8D03-2D30C922180D.jpeg
After mixing up the sauce with butter, flour, and half and half, it’s all combined
into the casserole dish to be broiled 3-6 minutes.

B19D1B61-F469-41E2-9A4A-26C64309B9AE.jpeg
Hmm. Yes those avocados are a little past their prime! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.