Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
hahaha, that is a recipe to me too but I am not sure who could follow or reproduce it but it sure is sounding delicious.

Actually, it is not that difficult, but it does take time; I've been pottering around - on and off - for the best part of two hours.

The trick is to have everything you need in front of you, and to have your chopping, dicing, slicing, and grating done - and laid out as you need it - before you start to cook (and that will take a good half hour).

Then, remember to wash up as you go along (unless there are guests who will offer to do the needful).

After browning the chicken, I removed it from the pan, and placed it (around seven or eight thighs/drumsticks) in a large dish.

Then, I sautéed the onions, and carrots (both chopped roughly) in the mix of a little olive oil and plenty of butter.

When the onions were soft, I added the whole cloves of garlic - I am greedy for garlic, and don't see the point of moderation.

Next, the halved (or, occasionally, quartered) cherry tomatoes - salted and peppered - were added to the onion, garlic and carrot mix.

Once they had softened, I added the grated ginger, finely diced chilli, curry powder (I didn't have curry paste, an oversight and omission that shall be remedied) and tumeric.

I stirred this in the butter and vegetable mix for around three to four minutes which is when I added my stock, the apricots and returned the chicken pieces to the dish.

Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, and place a lid half on, allowing it to cook for a further 40 minutes or so.

That is what is taking place just now.

Next up, the basmati rice, thoroughly rinsed, and now simmering away softly.

Last edited:
Reactions: anika200

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Chelada - super refreshing and good for you too.

(1) Ice cold 20oz glass
(1) Ice cold 12oz American beer Budweiser for example
(1) Clamato Picante of course cold as ice

Pour beer in glass without too much head hopefully, fill the rest of the way with Clamato and enjoy!

2019-08-05 16.04.55.jpg

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Here is basic refrigerator dill pickle recipe.

We are going to base this on a pint of cucumbers and a wide mouth quart jar.

1. get as many really nice looking pickling cucumbers as you need, 4-5 inch long prefered. (if you have smaller it is good too)
PS you need as many as the jar you intend to fill will hold.
2. Locate a dill plant head, it is the seed head from a dill plant. Or -- 1 tsp dill seeds and Tbs dill greens if you do not have fresh.
3. 4 cloves garlic and crush them under knife
4. Salt at least a couple tablespoons full (salt should not contain too much iodine).
5. one cup white vinegar of 5% acidity
6. two cups water.

Stuff jar with ingredients 1 through three and maybe a hot pepper too.
Mix together ingredients from numbers 4,5 and 6 until solution is a clearish brine.
Pour brine into pickle jar until topped over all cucumbers if possible.
Place in fridge and wait for at least a week or a month or even two.
Then enjoy please.

Here is something like you should end up with, picture is 1/2 gallon size.

2019-08-18 17.07.16.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Shredded Chicken Burritos
@velocityg4, you just need to add a picture. :D
Meal I could eat every day (and did so for a month to recover from ulcerative colitis it worked great (note: I did not use any Salsa or beans when I had UC)):
Shredded Chicken Burritos.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 cups no salt added chicken stock (not broth)
- 4 tsp Knorr Chicken Boullion Granuales
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbs Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Cup Herdez Salsa Verde
- 2 Tbs Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (About one fresh lime)

Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil and simmer at low for at least one hour. Remove chicken from pot. Shred with forks. Return to pot and bring back to a boil then simmer on another 15 minutes. You can cook this all longer and have more flavor seep in. Just add water as necessary.

Filling:
Guacamole
- Three Ripe Hass Avacado (nearly black and soft) - Florida Avacado also work but they aren't as creamy
- Lime Juice squeezed from one lime
- 3 Tbs Herdez Mild Salsa
- 1/4 tsp Salt

Just mash up and cover until ready to serve. Guacamole does turn brown when exposed to air. You can slow this by sealing the top with plastic wrap against the guacamole.

La Constena Whole Pinto Beans: I just heat up in a small pot. They are already seasoned. Usually two cans.

Kraft Mexican Cheese Blend or a mix of extra sharp cheddar and parmesan

Romaine lettuce chopped

Yellow onion diced

Herdez Salsa Verde and Mild Salsa

Lite Sour Cream

La Banderita Flour Tortilla

This recipe is lower sodium than many of you are probably used to. I'd rather let people add their own salt. I'd consider this meal fairly high in salt. Most stuff I make is much lower sodium.

Favorite meal but I'd get sick of:
Tri Tip Beef (normally I just use Chuck Roast but tri tip is the best, sometimes I substitute pork loin/tenderloin/butt)
- Slow baked in the over at 200F all day
- Marinated the day before with a home made dry rub using an Emeril Lagasse recipe
- Coated with BBQ sauce and wrapped in foil

Sides:
Bushs Grillin Beans - Southern Pit Barbeque
Zucchinni and Yellow squash - marinated in lemon juice, soy sauce and balsamic vinegar
Home Made Biscuits - J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits recipe from allrecipes.com
Corn on the cobb -Boiled then rolled in butter

Really there's a lot of meals I prepare which are very good. Turkey, Beef Wellington, Lasagna, beef ribs, burgers, pork roast and so forth. Along with many other Chinese, Italian, Indian, Mexican, French and English dishes. I just couldn't handle them every day. While I love pepperoni pizza. It would give me too much heartburn.

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Broccoli-Cheese Casserole (1984 Southern Living Cookbook, page 9)

Image to follow​
  • 2 (10oz) packages of frozen chopped broccoli
  • 1 (10 Oz) can Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • 1 Cup (4oz) shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1/4 Cup Milk
  • 1/4 Cup Mayonaise
  • 2 Eggs beaten
  • Dash Red Pepper
  • Paprika
  • Optional: 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 1TBS melted butter.
  1. Cook broccoli according to package. Drain and spoon into a 10x6x2” baking dish. Set aside.
  2. Combine, soup, 1/2cup cheese, milk, mayo, eggs, and red pepper.
  3. Spoon soup mixture evenly over broccoli.
  4. Sprinkle remaining cheese and paprika.
  5. Optional: Mix 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1 TBS melted butter and sprinkle on top.
  6. Bake 350 deg for 45 min.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Stuffed Peppers -- Baharat, Bulgur Wheat style

1. 4 Green Peppers - tops off, de-seeded and blanched for 4 minutes
  2. Pepper Tops - chopped small (1/4 inches)
  3. Small Onion - chopped small
  4. One stalk Celery - chopped small
  5. 2 cups Savoy Cabbage - chop into 1 to 1/2 inch squarish pieces
  6. Garlic Cloves - chopped fine
  7. 1/4 cup Parsley - chopped fine
  8. 1/4 cup Parmesan or Romano
  9. 1/2 cup Monterey Jack or some other melty creamy cheese
  10. 1 Egg
  11. 1/4 cup Bulgur Wheat Coarse or medium
  12. 1 Tbs Baharat Seasoning or more/less to your liking
  13. 4 cups Tomato Sauce
  14. Sea Salt to season everything as you go - use it to help wilt the onions cabbage pepper mix etc...
  15. 1 Pound Ground Meat

Here is the recipe How To - It is very simple

• In a large skilled heated to medium sauté ingredients 2 through 5 until transparent and then remove to a large bowl where everything will be mixed.
  • Add the Garlic, Parsley, Baharat and bulgar to the large bowl and mix. -- at this point I add a couple tbs water or wine and let everything combine and mellow for as much time as I have.
  • Now mix Meat, Egg, Cheeses into the large bowl with the other ingredients -- I use my hands but anything will work, maybe not a knife.
  • Put your Blanched Peppers in a deep sided baking dish about 12x12 inches should work.
  • Stuff the Blanched Peppers with the mix and add the Tomato Sauce to the baking dish.
  • Bake @ 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 Minutes to 1 hr - it should be bubbly all over and the Peppers will get soft and maybe even slump a tiny bit, you will see clear juices flowing out.
  • It may look too brown on top but believe me those dark brown/black tops can be tasty. Otherwise tent with foil for 1/2 time.

Hint -- this whole recipe can be simplified however you want.
Do not have bulgur then use half cooked rice or oats or barley, do not have Baharat then use Chili Powder, Do not have cabbage then just skip it etc... It will still be really good I am sure.

I will put some pictures

2020-01-28 09.28.42.jpg

This is the basic set up.

2020-01-28 10.26.45.jpg

The meat mix.

2020-01-28 10.29.31.jpg

Pepper before Baking and with a Tomato sauce.

2020-01-28 09.39.36.jpg

This is the spice and Bulgur Wheat, Both are super good and would tell anyone to seek out and try.
Bulgur has become one of my favorite ingredients and want to try more types/sizes.

2020-01-28 11.28.30.jpg

It should look something like this, mine actually needed 15 more minutes to cook but everything tastes good.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Easy Fall Off The Bone Baked Ribs Recipe
It’s easy and worked well. I used baby back pork ribs

• Heat oven to 275 degrees.
  • Pull the thin membrane off the bone side of the ribs. Yes, it was there.
  • Lay ribs on aluminum foil, enough to wrap them.
  • Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper or your preferred BBQ seasoning (not BBQ sauce). I used Season All.
  • Wrap ribs with the aluminum foil, I sealed the edges folding the foil so the juice would remain inside with the ribs.
  • Cook in oven 3-4 hour, remove from oven. (I cooked mine for 3 hours, 30 minutes.)
  • Optional: After cooking them, apply your favorite BBQ sauce. (I prefer tangy over sweet,)
I ended up with tender, moist, delicious, fall off the bone ribs.We opted for no BBQ sauce this time. Hmm, good!

0F52C435-E622-49D6-B585-871040464CEA.jpeg
Baby Back Ribs

49990A80-2864-4732-BB70-02A28F925FBF.jpeg
Pre-cooked, seasoned. Cut in half with 2 packages
side by side to fit in pan.

772D1AF9-9D64-406F-A6B7-26687A9F40CB.jpeg
3 hours, 30 minutes later @ 275 degrees.​

Last edited:
  • Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m looking for a good recipe to boil up some black beans to be puréed or to make a soup.

And a skirt steak recipe. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Going to try this, will report back:
They turned out great! :)

Mexican Black Bean Soup with Sausage
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
  • 1 canned chipotle chile, seeded and finely chopped (not used)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained. See note*
  • 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
  • 3/4 pound smoky cooked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons very finely chopped cilantro (not used)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
C89973EA-CB1E-4CDE-AD82-DF1B51E45573.jpeg

*Black bean note: Unlike this recipe, I started out with 1lb of dry black beans, and let then soak in a pan of water overnight.Water has to be added as the beans absorb it. Then the beans must be boiled for 90 minutes, until the beans will smush. So when it came time to add the beans, I ladled them out of the pot they were boiled in, minus most of the water and to the skillet as per the recipe.

Step 1
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic along with the chipotle, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the black beans and chicken stock and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Using a potato masher, coarsely crush some of the beans.
Step 2
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage to the beans, along with the lime juice and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve, passing the sour cream and lime wedges separately.

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Going to try this, will report back:
They turned out great! :)

Mexican Black Bean Soup with Sausage
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
  • 1 canned chipotle chile, seeded and finely chopped (not used)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained. See note*
  • 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
  • 3/4 pound smoky cooked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons very finely chopped cilantro (not used)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Sour cream and lime wedges, for serving

*Black bean note: Unlike this recipe, I started out with 1lb of dry black beans, and let then soak in a pan of water overnight.Water has to be added as the beans absorb it. Then the beans must be boiled for 90 minutes, until the beans will smush. So when it came time to add the beans, I ladled them out of the pot they were boiled in, minus most of the water and to the skillet as per the recipe.

Step 1
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic along with the chipotle, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the black beans and chicken stock and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Using a potato masher, coarsely crush some of the beans.
Step 2
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage to the beans, along with the lime juice and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve, passing the sour cream and lime wedges separately.
Sounds really good, thanks for sharing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fajitas (skirt steak)
I found a recipe online and then lost it. :oops: If you don't know about skirt steak, commonly served as fajitas, it is the lowest quality cut of meat on the cow, a relatively thin strip of fatty meat along the ribs. It used to cost about the same as hamburger, but when the Fajita crazy swept the country starting in the 80s the price of this cut of beef went up.

The interesting thing about the Recipe I found, I don’t remember seeing any portions for the quantities, so here is a guesstimate for making the marinate:
  • A bottle of Italian dressing (Entire bottle)
  • A bottle of A1 brand or other brand steak sauce. I used Kroger brand About 1/3-1/2 bottle.
  • Worcestershire sauce (not alot), a couple of shakes. Careful with this, it can overpower the taste.
  • Squirt of Lemmon juice.
  • Some quantity of minced garlic, say the equivalent of 3 cloves.

I just mixed this until it looked good to me. ?

Using about 3lbs of steak, I diagonally cut it criss cross 1/4” deep on both sides, then cut it in half so it would fit in a 1gallon zip lock bag. Laid the meat and bag in a 9x9” cooking dish and then poured the marinate in and sealed the bag. The recipe called for marinating it over night (8hrs), in the fridge but due to my schedule, I ended up letting it marinate for about 24 hours. I flipped the bag about halfway though the marinating period.

I cooked it on a charcoal grill. My wife’s sister is an expert fajita and ribs cook. She told us that if we like to look at temperatures, to get an oven thermometer and cook at 350F for 15 minutes per side. The idea is to get the fat in this meat to cook off. I blew the temperature part off, made a hot fire and cooked it 15 minutes per side in my covered Grill. I notice the meat is really infused with oil from the Italian dressing and it turned out, yummy.

65C71647-246A-41BD-B086-348AB0D941A1.jpeg

We ate this on heated flour tortillas, with Guacamole, shredded cheese, and egg potatoe salad on the side.

D8492D0F-F47E-467E-9DBF-873F31755C42.jpeg

BC403541-3DC2-425A-AF4B-727F1E877B7D.jpeg

...and of course some wheat beer. ?​

Last edited:

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Fajitas (skirt steak)
I found a recipe online and then lost it. :oops: If you don't know about skirt steak, commonly served as fajitas, it is the lowest quality cut of meat on the cow, a relatively thin strip of fatty meat along the ribs. It used to cost about the same as hamburger, but when the Fajita crazy swept the country starting in the 80s the price of this cut of beef went up.

The interesting thing about the Recipe I found, I don’t remember seeing any portions for the quantities, so here is a guesstimate for making the marinate:
  • A bottle of Italian dressing (Entire bottle)
  • A bottle of A1 brand or other brand steak sauce. I used Kroger brand About 1/3-1/2 bottle.
  • Worcester sauce (not alot), a couple of shakes. Careful with this, it can overpower the taste.
  • Squirt of Lemmon juice.
  • Some quantity of minced garlic, say the equivalent of 3 cloves.

I just mixed this until it looked good to me. ?

Using about 3lbs of steak, I diagonally cut it criss cross 1/4” deep on both sides, then cut it in half so it would fit in a 1gallon zip lock bag. Laid the meat and bag in a 9x9” cooking dish and then poured the marinate in and sealed the bag. The recipe called for marinating it over night (8hrs), in the fridge but due to my schedule, I ended up letting it marinate for about 24 hours. I flipped the bag about halfway though the marinating period.

I cooked it on a charcoal grill. My wife’s sister is an expert fajita and ribs cook. She told us that if we like to look at temperatures, to get an oven thermometer and cook at 350F for 15 minutes per side. I blew the temperature part off, made a hot fire and cooked it 15 minutes per side in my covered Grill. I notice the meat is really infused with oil from the Italian dressing and it turned out, yummy.

We ate this on heated flour tortillas, with Guacamole, shredded cheese, and egg potatoe salad on the side.

View attachment 913942

View attachment 913943
...and of course some wheat beer. ?​
mmmm, I have not had a Franziskaner in a couple of years. Must hunt some down for the summer.
Thanks for the recipe and edu-steaktion. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lovely fireplace...and I like the floral dinnerware. :)
Thanks! That would be Franciscan Ware (Franciscan Ceramics) Desert Rose, a US company based in Los Angeles that was purchased by Wedgwood, then Waterford, production moved to the UK in 1983. I assume it is discontinued, but it can be found online, saw a set on eBay for $750. Here is a replacement made in China, all manufacturing heads to China? ?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Chinese cuisine is not really my forte, but there is one Chinese dish I absolutely can't get enough of - Dan Dan noodles, a 'street food' dish that is quite easy to make. Here is a good video tutorial on the dish (I typically use broccoli as my veg of choice on top). Unfortunately I've worn out my (very cheap) wok so I have to make it in a frying pan now, which is, I know, a cardinal sin.

Thanks! That would be Franciscan Ware (Franciscan Ceramics) Desert Rose, a US company based in Los Angeles that was purchased by Wedgwood, then Waterford, production moved to the UK in 1983. I assume it is discontinued, but it can be found online, saw a set on eBay for $750. Here is a replacement made in China, all manufacturing heads to China? ?

Lady Blackadder is into ceramics, I think if she had it her way we'd be using almost nothing but vintage ceramics...which is fine, though it makes me constantly terrified of breaking something.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Chinese cuisine is not really my forte, but there is one Chinese dish I absolutely can't get enough of - Dan Dan noodles, a 'street food' dish that is quite easy to make. Here is a good video tutorial on the dish (I typically use broccoli as my veg of choice on top).

Lady Blackadder is into ceramics, I think if she had it her way we'd be using almost nothing but vintage ceramics...which is fine, though it makes me constantly terrified of breaking something.
In the 80-90s time frame we went though our depression glass collecting phase. We have some nice pieces that we never use. ?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Chinese cuisine is not really my forte, but there is one Chinese dish I absolutely can't get enough of - Dan Dan noodles, a 'street food' dish that is quite easy to make. Here is a good video tutorial on the dish (I typically use broccoli as my veg of choice on top).

In the 80-90s time frame we went though our depression glass collecting phase. We have some nice pieces that we never use. ?

I take the view that if you have something elegant and beautiful - use it and relax, and take pleasure in and enjoy the use of it, if it enhances the quality of your life.

And, if it breaks, it breaks.

I use beautiful glassware everyday, and thoroughly enjoy it; why have it locked away in a cupboard, to emerge, dusty, (and then, cleaned) for use on a special occasion, a birthday, Christmas, and/or anniversary - when you are then too terrified when handling it, fearful that it will break and thus, you don't really enjoy the sheer physical pleasure of using it?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: anika200 and Huntn

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

My great-grandfather was a glassblower during the depression, my grandmother still has a few of his pieces - dishes and vases. If I inherit any of them I doubt I'd have the intestinal fortitude to actually use them, especially since she's had them in a glass-fronted cupboard for over 60 years. :oops:

I take the view that if you have something elegant and beautiful - use it and relax, and take pleasure in and enjoy the use of it, if it enhances the quality of your life.

I use beautiful glassware everyday, and thoroughly enjoy it; why have it locked away in a cupboard, to emerge, dusty, (and then, cleaned) for use on a special occasion, a birthday, Christmas, an anniversary - when you are then too terrified when handling it, fearful that it will break and thus, you don't really enjoy the pleasure of using it?

I am that way about most of the things I own, though I am still fearful of Lady Blackadder's ceramics. I once was messing around with a soccer ball indoors (I know, I know) and broke a handmade ceramic flagon of hers. I will never live that one down. I think I've continued buying vintage decor items primarily to force myself to be more careful!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My great-grandfather was a glassblower during the depression, my grandmother still has a few of his pieces - dishes and vases. If I inherit any of them I doubt I'd have the intestinal fortitude to actually use them, especially since she's had them in a glass-fronted cupboard for over 60 years. :oops:

I am that way about most of the things I own, though I am still fearful of Lady Blackadder's ceramics. I once was messing around with a soccer ball indoors (I know, I know) and broke a handmade ceramic flagon of hers. I will never live that one down. I think I've continued buying vintage decor items primarily to force myself to be more careful!

Ah, re a soccer ball indoors; take a look at the Italian "goalkeeper cat" video - filmed in a flat in Rome (named Gigi) for some serious soccer indoors.

Well, decades ago, we used to be rigid with terror on Christmas Day, using the good glassware, until my mother made the sensible decision to use it all the time.

The same with some of the superb crockery she had received as a wedding gift: By the time she decided to use them, they were long deemed out of fashion, and so, yes, we thought - why not actually enjoy such things, by using them to do what they were crafted, and designed to do?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I use beautiful glassware everyday, and thoroughly enjoy it; why have it locked away in a cupboard, to emerge, dusty, (and then, cleaned) for use on a special occasion, a birthday, Christmas, an anniversary - when you are then too terrified when handling it, fearful that it will break and thus, you don't really enjoy the pleasure of using it?
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, this is definitely off thread topic...
As a child we visited glass blowing factories which was facinating. Most of those factories were turning out decor and novelty glass items (60s time frame.) Most are closed today.

Of possible interest cherishing old stuff varies as time goes by and by culture. In the early 80s you could buy beautiful used/old wedding Kimonos in Japan because we found them exotic and beautiful, but as a rule we don’t hang up our used Western wedding dresses in the US for decoration and I’ll assume the same in Europe. I‘ll say, I could be in error, that there was little value placed on antiques in general In Japan.

When growing up antiques seemed to be of value, and again in the 80s there were antique shoppes all over with glassware and furniture. I grew up sleeping in a family Victorian bedroom set which was handed down from the turn of the 20th century. Today no kids in the family wants this set of furniture. My brother has several antique pieces some family, some not, but he says antique/used furniture stores don’t want them on consignment. At least in the US there seems to be a shift in attitude with the Millennials, who seem to have adopted a minimalist approach to material things in their lives.

My understanding is that you don’t see crystal and silverware being sold in department stores, other than catalog orders, where there used to be sections of the store dedicated to newlyweds. This is an observation, not a judgement, and it might reflect a time of less, or just a time of changed attitudes regarding material possessions.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sorry, this is definitely off thread topic...
As a child we visited glass blowing factories which was facinating. Most of those factories were turning out decor and novelty glass items (60s time frame.) Most are closed today.

Of possible interest cherishing old stuff varies as time goes by and by culture. In the early 80s you could buy beautiful used/old wedding Kimonos in Japan because we found them exotic and beautiful, but as a rule we don’t hang up our used Western wedding dresses in the US for decoration and I’ll assume the same in Europe. I‘ll say, I could be in error, that there was little value placed on antiques in general In Japan.

When growing up antiques seemed to be of value, and again in the 80s there were antique shoppes all over with glassware and furniture. I grew up sleeping in a family Victorian bedroom set which was handed down from the turn of the 20th century. Today no kids in the family wants this set of furniture. My brother has several antique pieces some family, some not, but he says antique/used furniture stores don’t want them on consignment. At least in the US there seems to be a shift in attitude with the Millennials, who seem to have adopted a minimalist approach to material things in their lives.

My understanding is that you don’t see crystal and silverware being sold in department stores, other than catalog orders, where there used to be sections of the store dedicated to newlyweds. This is an observation, not a judgement, and it might reflect a time of less, or just a time of changed attitudes regarding material possessions.

My crystal (Waterford, Lismore pattern, - elegant, classic and understated - I suspect that it came from an executor sale) was purchased in an antiques shop.

Once I realised how much I liked it, I bought some more - fortunately, they were available from the same source, all in perfect condition, in fact, I also suspect a present or gift that had never been touched - far more than I needed, because, firstly, at the time, I was just home from a time spent abroad and could afford to treat myself, and, secondly, hearkening back to the very point @Lord Blackadder has already made, accidents, cracks, and breakages are inevitable (that does not say don't treat such beautiful things with respect) and I belatedly arrived at the conclusion that my original set of six might not be able to withstand my drinking habits, and remain at six sturdy and intact claret wine glasses.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quick Pizza Casserole
1982 Southern Living Cook Book.

C2870C0C-9BC8-41F9-BA0A-20DD93E25F38.jpeg
  • 1lb Ground Beef (I use Ground Chicken or Turkey).
  • 1- 14oz jar of Pizza Sauce
  • 2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 3/4 Cup Biscuit Mix
  • 1 1/2 Cup of milk
  • 2 Eggs

Instructions
  1. Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain off pan drippings. Spoon beef into an 8 inch square* baking pan.
  2. Top with Pizza Sauce and cheese.
  3. Combine biscuit, milk eggs; beat until smooth. Poor mixture over casserole, covering evenly.
  4. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minuets. Yield 6 servings.
*Of note I make this in a 9x11 glass baking pan, I increase the the milk to 1 3/4 cup and the biscuit mix to 1cup. If you want it meatier, you can also double the meat.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.