Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
What do you all think of The Verge website redesign?

I will share my opinion later today, but I don't want to influence this thread at all and would love to hear what the community thinks first.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have no reference as I can't tell you the last time I visited the site, but purely from a graphic design perspective (and with an ad blocker on), I think the desktop version looks fresh and clean. The sections appear to be clearly delineated by color. It looks like no other website.

I suspect people who regularly visited the Verge will hate it – because, change – but in my view, it looks great.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I can't decide which part I hate the most. The main page, the article feed, and the articles themselves all look like they belong to different sites... and they're all bad.

The main page and article feed looks like a bad version of Reddit, the article pages themselves look like a goat puked a bag of Skittles on my screen.

Quite frankly, the entire site looks worse with an ad blocker turned on. At least the ads provide some balance to this craptacular display of disregard for the reader.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I don't mind the design language so much. But I cannot wrap my head around the Twitter feed styling and mixing articles with social media posts, in particular on the front page. Things are a little bit better when browsing one of the topic-specific pages, but not by much.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
What do you think @TSE ?

I wanted to give it a little more time. I'm actually a UX Designer professional and one thing I learned about agency work was often times stakeholders hated new designs even if they were objectively better because they were so attached to their old design or way of doing things. That's just human nature. So I want to start off this by saying I loved the previous Verge website design, and when I first clicked onto The Verge, I absolutely ****ing hated it. I actually went straight into making this thread, wrote out a couple paragraphs blasting the design, sat on it awhile, and deleted that writing to see what everyone else had to say.

After looking at it for some time, here's my analysis.

To sum it up, as an overall system in terms of the interactions, the page layout, and some of the more widespread design decisions, it's unique, it works, and in a lot of way pretty brilliant. We often call this the "user experience" and "program" level of design. Where it falls apart, however, is when it comes to the interface design of the site. I understand part of The Verge's branding and style is to be unique and fresh, but it really feels like a fresh graduate graphic designer's wet dream come true.

The typeface choices and colors are unbelievably bad. Design should be inclusive and invisible. If the user notices your experience or the experience makes you think, it's bad design. I shouldn't have to think about "What section am I looking at?" between each section, but I do and that's because the typeface choices and colors chosen have zero scannability. Don't even get me started with people that have visual handicaps - The Verge tends to be a more liberally-opinionated company and they have completely made their design not follow any ADA guidelines and completely inaccessible.

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 3.42.23 PM.png

Try to read the category here, quickly. Most Popular. It hurts your eyes. Now stitch a bunch of these sections together and imagine trying to read those to figure out where you are on the page. Forget about it! I also really want to ask whoever designed this "WHY IS THIS SECTION BLUE?" Do users correlate Most Popular, or "Hottest" articles with a cold color? Wouldn't red be more appropriate and highlight the "hottest"? Where is the color psychology here?

The left side of the page highlights a combination of Verge and outside articles in two ways, I guess. The first cell in the example below is when an article is from outside The Verge. It works well to give you information in "Tweet-like" TL;DR formats. But again, where it falls short is the interface of each cell - how do I click into it? What do the little icons in the top right mean aside from adding noise? Why are there like 4 competing headines of different typefaces all in the same size with various weights? It makes no sense and is so god damn terrible.

The other cell, for example "It sure seems like Google is struggling to invite the future" are internally written articles they want you to click into to read. These are a little better designed, but the words "GOOGLE" on the left, and "POLICY" below it, I think are supposed to be categories? Why are they flipped and all the way to the left like that, making them hard to read and scan. And why are these cells ordered in the way they are?

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 4.25.05 PM.png

I could go on and on about the poor interface choices here. But I do believe in iterative design and releasing MVPs with the expectation of improving it is the way to go. They did a lot of cool, interesting things with the foundation of the site and I think they nailed the foundational, most difficult parts of website design. The interactions. The proportions of the content. The navigation. I actually really like the white on black, too. All of those things they did exceedingly well. What they need to do is take what they have and completely rehaul the graphic design elements of the interface with a focus on scannability and acessibility and they'd be golden.

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It's horrible. I was wondering why some sections had awkward gaps in them. Turns out there's black text in there... Basically have to select the text to make it readable.

1663363979311.png
1663364027148.png

And the blues on a black background... I don't know why, but it reminds me of the blue Christmas lights that are either difficult to see or stick out like a sore thumb.

1663364203586.png

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
seems like they couldn't decide on a single layout and mixed a bunch in. this is worse than twitter and I don't use either, however articles are generally linked to twitter articles and its tough to follow. same with site. no sense of cohesion or purpose. no priority of where I should be, reminds me of those late 90's websites that just had banner ads all over their page. however their sister companies sites all look similar but some are more readable/accessible then verge. the Vox site looks the most presentable.

Reactions: theautopilot

thisisaaron

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2021
I just sent them this via their contact form. I tried to give it a chance. But I need to find another site for my news.

I loved The Verge for my latest tech and general interest news. I came to the site almost every morning each week to see the latest headlines and stories. It was easily consumable with your large imagery to grab me based on my interests.

Now with the redesign it's just a sea of text and I have no idea what to look at or what is actually relevant to me. You have a single large image for the headline story and nothing else. I don't have the time to sit here and read the headline of every single tiny story mashed up on the homepage. Not to mention, there is no consistency with how stories are displayed. Every one seems to be displayed differently with no organization.

I don't mind the new logo or vibe of the site. But the core function of a news site is to provide news and stories that grab the reader. You've failed at that. You could solve all of this by bringing back the grid of imagery and stories you once had proudly displayed at the top of your homepage. Keep the new design but give us a way to QUICKLY tell what new stories there are. Every article should have a cover image that grabs the viewer. Period.

I really am sad and disappointed. You were the one site where our interests really aligned but now I need to find someone else that has the information easily digestible until you fix your site.

Reactions: spidertaker23

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I love the look of it. Colourful, playful and fun.

Unfortunately that’s not what I want from something I’m expected to actually read, or spend any meaningful time looking at. It confuses me and makes my eyes hurt.

They are trying their best to sound edgy, cool and modern, with stupid statements like “sometimes you have to blow things up and start over”. Except you don’t. You need to focus on quality content, that’s easy to navigate, digest and read. This is the opposite. And if their “goal in redesigning The Verge was actually to redesign the relationship we have with you, our beloved audience” They have achieved that goal because I’ve gone from a regular to a long distance relationship. After reading their ridiculous, intelligence insulting statement, trying to justify the this mess (and insinuating that if people don’t like it, it’s because they are not keeping up with the times) I’m just left thinking the emperor has no clothes.

Last edited:

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
I agree with everything that has been said in this thread. I searched around the web to find someone that was talking about this. I used to visit The Verge for basically all my tech news outside of Macrumors and now the site basically non-functional. I'm sad and wish they would go back. What was wrong with the cool looking large photos for articles. I don't like blogging websites and came to The Verge for quality real tech content. If I wanted to read Gizmodo I would go to that site.

Teedawgg

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
Tampa Bay Area
I legitimately cannot understand what they were thinking when they published this design. The previous Verge website was so simple and easy to navigate. You could easily tell what was posted and when. Now there is so much going on, I cannot figure out what is a news article vs what is some other random blog post. The navigation makes no sense. I have no idea what was posted or when it was posted.

I used to religiously swap between Engadget and The Verge, but now I don't even see a point in looking at The Verge because the website is so incomprehensible.

I've added The Verge to my Apple News so I can easily view their articles in a much easier layout there.

• Love
Reactions: ixxx69 and lostPod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.