Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Started day at 0730 with 93% battery - tracked one 45min run, and am at 58% battery. I think the battery life is better, but this update has highlighted how meh battery life on my AW6 is. Which is somewhat acceptable given it's 3 years old.

A bummer battery replacement is $195 NZD, can't justify the cost.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I actually feel like the latest battery update has made it slightly worse again! 100% off the charger before bed time and 1,5 hour run and just before bed time needed to charge it again with around 20% charge. So close to one-day-battery again and not the initial 2-day-battery my Ultra gave me.

jlamarp

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
I am on the latest WatchOS 10 beta, and deleting all widgets from the smart stack has significantly improved the battery life.

realphilan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Same here… it didn’t really improve since watchOS 10. I’m in constant contact with Apple through the „feedback app“ and with each new beta release I‘m complaining about the issue. At least they seem to be interested in fixing it and ask me questions etc. But yes… I‘m on 10.2 beta 3, too and I‘m still losing like 5 % per hour without doing anything with the watch. :( It‘s soooooooo sad. Either I‘ll buy a new watch soon or I‘ll ditch Apple completely (looking forward for the Humane AI Pin and probably won‘t need the Watch any longer :D ).

Reactions: jsangil

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I’m still pissed my UW1 can barely last 2 days without charging when all I do is look at notifications. Can we downgrade? Why is Apple making fictitious claims about battery life?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’m still pissed my UW1 can barely last 2 days without charging when all I do is look at notifications. Can we downgrade? Why is Apple making fictitious claims about battery life?

Power​

• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Up to 36 hours9
    Up to 18 hours LTE
  • USB-C magnetic fast charging cable

2 days is 48 hours, which is greater than 36.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like longer battery life too, but I think "fictitious claims" is probably a bit over dramatic. :D

No, cannot downgrade to Watch OS 9.

B0bby

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023

Power​

• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Up to 36 hours9
    Up to 18 hours LTE
  • USB-C magnetic fast charging cable

2 days is 48 hours, which is greater than 36.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like longer battery life too, but I think "fictitious claims" is probably a bit over dramatic. :D

No, cannot downgrade to Watch OS 9.
If u get with watchOS 9 over 3 days battery, then u are angry with watchOS 10 barely getting 1-2 day…

faulio

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2023
Yeah its really strange that Watch Os 10 need so much more power than os9. I can not understand why apple coded so bad.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
It’s a bummer people are seeing worse battery life on OS10. I ditched the S4 real quick after upgrading, but it might have gotten even worse than OS9.

My Ultra 2 battery life is crazy though. I easily get 48 to even 72 hours. I’m only charging it like 2-4 times a week and usually not to 100%. Just throw it on the puck for 20-30 min a few mornings a week. Not having to remember or worry about charging while also tracking all sleep data has been wonderful.

When traveling, I’d always have to make sure the S4 was fully charged in case it was a long day or for delays. With the Ultra 2, I know I can easily get 24 hours with 30-40%. Way better than I was expecting.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
My S7 watch battery is absolutely horrendous nowadays.

96% health and I'm struggling to get two days use out of it. I used to get three. I use the watch, typcially between 0730-1900.

This is even without running any widgets, lowest screen brightness and AOD off.

I have just deleted the widgets out of the smart stack as per a comment above to see if that helps.

Reactions: realphilan

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
Anyone else feel like they need to buy an Ultra 2 just to get decent battery life? Or is that just me? :rolleyes:
It's literally almost the same as my Ultra 1, so I don't want to have to get the 2, but it almost feels like you HAVE to at this point to get good battery life.

Reactions: xDKP

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My Ultra 2 battery life is crazy though. I easily get 48 to even 72 hours. I’m only charging it like 2-4 times a week and usually not to 100%. Just throw it on the puck for 20-30 min a few mornings a week. Not having to remember or worry about charging while also tracking all sleep data has been wonderful.
Yeah, it does seem as if OS 10 is almost designed for the ultra 2 as my battery life is just totally nuts on mine. I can easily get 55 to 60 hours out of mine with light usage.

Reactions: adam1080

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Anyone else feel like they need to buy an Ultra 2 just to get decent battery life? Or is that just me? :rolleyes:
It's literally almost the same as my Ultra 1, so I don't want to have to get the 2, but it almost feels like you HAVE to at this point to get good battery life.
I have seen some people with Ultra2 and battery problems.
It’s just less visible on these watches but it’s the same problem.
You have some unlucky persons who have big battery drain, and it’s not an exclusivity for older watches

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Yeah, it does seem as if OS 10 is almost designed for the ultra 2 as my battery life is just totally nuts on mine. I can easily get 55 to 60 hours out of mine with light usage.
An seems like WatchOS 10 is made to smash the Ultra 1 battery in the floor. Mine is a one-day-device now. I run every day and cannot go two days any more.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
My son has an AWU1 and it still lasts more than 2 days with watchOS10 like with 9 ...
It's not a general rule ...

Reactions: xDKP

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
My S7 watch battery is absolutely horrendous nowadays.

96% health and I'm struggling to get two days use out of it. I used to get three. I use the watch, typcially between 0730-1900.

This is even without running any widgets, lowest screen brightness and AOD off.

I have just deleted the widgets out of the smart stack as per a comment above to see if that helps.
Used 30% battery today.

Maybe the Smart Stack is actually the issue?!

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
When WatchOS 10 launched i kept seeing every day or every 2nd day battery optimisation kicking in to limit the charge on my S8 to the 80% mark.
However its been over 3 weeks now and not one single day has it activated.

No change in usage or time put on the charger.

Anyone else notice the same issue?

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Used 30% battery today.

Maybe the Smart Stack is actually the issue?!
25% used so far today; between 0730 and 1645 to be precise.

A massive improvement since doing away with Smart Stack - I didnt use it anyway

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
25% used so far today; between 0730 and 1645 to be precise.

A massive improvement since doing away with Smart Stack - I didnt use it anyway
So is everything on Smart Stack just updating all of the time? Hopefully they can fix these issues in the next release. The only thing I use on Smart Stack is the buttons for triggering Workoutdoors and the widget with my rings. I don’t have anything else on it.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
How many times someone has announced here that the problem comes from this or that ?
There are probably a lot of different situations and not ONE solution or root cause.
Don’t imagine that because someone has fixed the issue by removing Smart Stack it will work for everyone !
Don’t remember most people have no issue at all without removing nothing.
It’s not so simple.

Reactions: usmaak and NME42

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
How many times someone has announced here that the problem comes from this or that ?
There are probably a lot of different situations and not ONE solution or root cause.
Don’t imagine that because someone has fixed the issue by removing Smart Stack it will work for everyone !
Don’t remember most people have no issue at all without removing nothing.
It’s not so simple.
Yeah. If it really was just one thing causing it, the fix would be easy. It never is, though.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
So just deleting all the stacks and extras?
Yep, I have nothing in there now except the one where you can select three icons. Not sure was it’s called. That’s where I have my battery%, activity rings and a shortcut to the workout app.

Before, I had stacks for weather, fantastical and a few others

Reactions: ResolutionNZ

dd852

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
I was also having huge problems with both a S9 and a S7 - took the S9 watch to the genius bar. All diagnostics were fine. The tech then said some people had been having issues with the algorithm for "optimised battery charging" and suggested I charge to 100% and then wear the watch until it was fully discharged before charging, i.e. no intermittent charging. I did this on both watches twice and now I have excellent battery life again. I hesitate to say this is a solution, as there seem to be so many individualized experiences, but it may help someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.