Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
Just picked up a 45mm Series 9 SS last week, and… the battery life is atrocious. Easily on par with if not worse than my 4 year old Series 5 it replaced that had < 80% battery capacity left on it. I haven’t gone through this whole thread yet but is there something I should know? Was down to 16% after 14 hours; 8 hours of that was in sleep focus with the screen off, no workouts recorded, barely any actual use beyond glancing with wrist up. Fell to 12% 4 minutes later after waking up. Feels not good to me?

Attachments

• incoming-C6C6BA01-CBA3-4796-AC34-2EE61DDB9051.png
    incoming-C6C6BA01-CBA3-4796-AC34-2EE61DDB9051.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 116
  • incoming-B3ADD1C3-54B4-4D69-9CB0-06AC11CC734D.png
    incoming-B3ADD1C3-54B4-4D69-9CB0-06AC11CC734D.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 62

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Just picked up a 45mm Series 9 SS last week, and… the battery life is atrocious. Easily on par with if not worse than my 4 year old Series 5 it replaced that had < 80% battery capacity left on it. I haven’t gone through this whole thread yet but is there something I should know? Was down to 16% after 14 hours; 8 hours of that was in sleep focus with the screen off, no workouts recorded, barely any actual use beyond glancing with wrist up. Fell to 12% 4 minutes later after waking up. Feels not good to me?

Please ensure you report the issue to Apple. In the meantime you can try the new Beta 4 of Watch OS 10.2. I don’t know that it will solve the issue but it’s certainly not going to make it worse!

Reactions: Kurt871

realphilan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
Make sure you updated to watchOS 10.1.1.

This is not how it should be. And for me, buying a new watch fixed the issue.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
There is no need to buy a new watch. For the most part of owners, watchOS10 has no special battery problem on old watches.
It's probably a bit heavier and can eat "a little more" battery, but it should not be really noticeable.
Some people her have huge battery problems with brand new S9 or U2, so it's not a big complot of Tim to force us to buy watches.

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
Make sure you updated to watchOS 10.1.1.

This is not how it should be. And for me, buying a new watch fixed the issue.
Watch had 10.1.1 installed on it from the start. It sounds like there’s some sort of issue that might be getting fixed in 10.2? Seems like it’s coming soon since they’re already on beta 4. If that doesn’t solve it then yeah I guess will have this one replaced.

Reactions: wbeasley

jsangil

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
As I think it was already mentioned, watchos 10.2 beta 4 does not solve the problem.

I am considering changing the battery in my series 5, it is currently at 82% life.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kurt871

ncrispi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
As I think it was already mentioned, watchos 10.2 beta 4 does not solve the problem.

I am considering changing the battery in my series 5, it is currently at 82% life.
I wouldn’t bother with that. I replaced my battery in series 4 (currently 100% capacity) and it is still unbearable when I have offline playlists enabled. Oddly, the moment I remove them, my battery life is fine.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Another hint that shows the issue is probably due to some sync process between the iPhone and the Watch.

Reactions: dcp10

Jamvan

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
Not to jinx anything but the most recent iOS 17.1.2 update may have helped. I have a S6 at 82% battery health that, prior to Watch OS 10, I could wear from 11pm-9pm without needing to recharge. After upgrading to 10, I'd routinely lose over 50% of my battery overnight while sleeping and it would need to be charged by 10am and again later in the afternoon. I stopped wearing it at night because there was no point. After upgrading my phone to 17.1.2 earlier this week, it seems like my watch is doing better than it has been. I'm sitting at 85% charged after 5 hours this morning which is markedly better than it's been the past number of weeks. I'm hoping Watch OS 10.2 will restore it to where I'm able to begin sleep tracking again and not have to charge multiple times per day.

Anyone else seeing improvements with iOS 17.1.2?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not to jinx anything but the most recent iOS 17.1.2 update may have helped. I have a S6 at 82% battery health that, prior to Watch OS 10, I could wear from 11pm-9pm without needing to recharge. After upgrading to 10, I'd routinely lose over 50% of my battery overnight while sleeping and it would need to be charged by 10am and again later in the afternoon. I stopped wearing it at night because there was no point. After upgrading my phone to 17.1.2 earlier this week, it seems like my watch is doing better than it has been. I'm sitting at 85% charged after 5 hours this morning which is markedly better than it's been the past number of weeks. I'm hoping Watch OS 10.2 will restore it to where I'm able to begin sleep tracking again and not have to charge multiple times per day.

Anyone else seeing improvements with iOS 17.1.2?
Not especially. Still using a lot more battery than I used to on my AW SE.

Reactions: Jamvan

jsangil

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
WatchOS 10.2 RC. As expected, it does not solve the problem. I am going to change the watch battery with apple support. Has anyone had experience with this? Have you noticed improvement?

T4t3r

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
WatchOS 10.2 RC. As expected, it does not solve the problem. I am going to change the watch battery with apple support. Has anyone had experience with this? Have you noticed improvement?
They're not going to provide service at 82%. Needs to be under 80% according to their diagnostic tool.

Battery service is also not going to resolve this issue.

Last edited:

yanksno1

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
Would you guys say the 10.2 release is safe with this issue? Right now my Watch seems to be stable (*knocks on wood), but would like to get off the Beta.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
No one can tell if it’s safe for YOU.
Don’t forget most people had no battery issues with watchOS 10 since the beginning. The most common situation is « no problem «
But when you have issues, no one know the exact root cause and fix.
It’s not just a watchOS bug

Reactions: yanksno1

xerberus

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
Hello,

my Watch 5 has been discharging extremely quickly since last week. it can no longer manage 10 hours, previously it easily lasted 24 hours. I had the latest update on it and have now installed 11.2 RC on the watch and my Iphone Xs Max as a test. But that didn't improve things either.

In addition, the watch was decoupled and installed with a backup, which also did nothing.
I have now set it up as a new watch, unfortunately also without success.
The only thing that helps is to deactivate the connection to the mobile phone (WLAN and Bluetooth together).
The battery capacity is still 81%. So it should still be sufficient.
I haven't installed any third-party apps on the watch either.
I also deactivated background updates as a test, but it doesn't really help.

My girlfriend had also bought a new Iphone 15 Pro at the time and has also had these problems with her Apple Watch5 since then.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Kind regards
Patrick

Reactions: ps4db and wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
For the last week or longer, my Watch 5 has been absolute rubbish on battery life.

I've tried killing apps, I just rebooted it.

The most recent update is chewing through battery (not like an hour or two but my 66% Battery Health used to get me from midnight to 4pm but now 25% disappears from midnight to 7am when before it was 10% and i'm topping up during the day). I'm not walking more or using apps more. It sits on my wrist as it always has,

Oddly, my old 3 used less often doesnt seem to be as bad.

I've always thought the 5 was Apple putting too much in and not enough battery.

As much as I would like to replace the 5's battery, if the new ones chews as fast it will be a waste of money :(

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006

Your battery health is the same as mine. But Apple refused to do battery replacement if the battery health is still 80% or more. I was asked to send in the watch under "other damages" if I insist on changing the battery, but it costs much much more.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I just got an AW Ultra 2 yesterday. On my Ultra 1 with AOD on, raise to wake off, raise for Siri off and environment sounds off, I normally got just shy of 48 hours until it hit low power with 2-3 hours of workouts a day.

10.2 on AWU2 now and set up as new with all the above on and lost 40% in 24 hours! Impressed.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Upgraded to 10.2. Took watch off charger at 0730, it's now 0830 and battery is at 94%.. 6% an hour = 16 hours estimated with no activity tracking. Seems on-par given the battery health.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
upgraded last night to 10.2

100% at midnight.
60% at 7:00am!!!

went for a walk with Activity Tracker.
45 minutes later down to 50% :(

Since 10 its been awful.
Wish I could go back to 9.

Will reboot it not it's charged again and see if it sorts itself out.

Something is definitely wrong.
I'm running same apps and doing same tasks and routines as normal.

My Battery Health is 66% in my Watch5 so a replacement battery might help.
But loathe to fork out cash if battery life is still this bad afterwards.

• Wow
Reactions: Howard2k

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
upgraded last night to 10.2

100% at midnight.
60% at 7:00am!!!

went for a walk with Activity Tracker.
45 minutes later down to 50% :(

Since 10 its been awful.
Wish I could go back to 9.

Will reboot it not it's charged again and see if it sorts itself out.

Something is definitely wrong.
I'm running same apps and doing same tasks and routines as normal.

My Battery Health is 66% in my Watch5 so a replacement battery might help.
But loathe to fork out cash if battery life is still this bad afterwards.

66%! Ouch.

I’d give it a day or two. If you still have serious issues then reboot, unpair, re-pair, DON’T restore from backup, and see if that helps. It’s a bit nuclear, but it’s worth a shot.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
66%! Ouch.

I’d give it a day or two. If you still have serious issues then reboot, unpair, re-pair, DON’T restore from backup, and see if that helps. It’s a bit nuclear, but it’s worth a shot.
watchOS10.2 made my 82% Series 4 drains its battery within 2 hours. Yep, not a typo. The nuclear approach did not work for me.

The battery draining issue stopped after I removed the Weather widget! Oh, I also turned off the Music playlist sync.

We need a permanent fix from Apple!!! I have called, reported it, complained, etc. Still no working update to fix this battery drain issue.

jsangil

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
I have always been very critical with this battery problem after watchOS 10 update in my series 5, but with the latest update 10.2 the battery consumption is much more stable, higher than that of watchos 9, but acceptable.

I take the watch out of the charger at 1:00am, I sleep with it and the battery is at 5% at night 9:30pm. Display always on except at night. It I do an hour bike activity track I need a small charge at mid day.

The health of the battery has dropped to 79%, normal with a watch that is more than 3 years old. This health allows me to change the battery. I don't know if this replace will contribute to a much longer battery life.

Bets regards.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.