Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I installed the watchOS 10 RC last week and apparently it's the same as the final version. I own an AppleWatch Series 5 and so far I was perfectly happy with it, after a full day at the office I easily had 25%ish left of battery life. I would say it lasted up to 16hrs.

But now, with watchOS 10 my battery life is down to less than 12hrs. What is your exeprience? I hoped that they would fix it with the final release, but they haven't.
I am also using the series 5, battery life more or less feels like the same for me. I am ending the day at roughly 30-40% battery life.

Diopter

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
OK, here's battery usage from today, my second day of using watchOS 10, compared to watchOS 9.6 on the day before I updated. Today is actually even worse than yesterday, because yesterday it took about 9 hours to reach 10% and today it took only about 8 hours to reach 4%.

I've aligned the graphs horizontally with the point I started wearing the watch each day so it's easier to see the big difference in the rate of battery consumption.

I suspect those of us with this kind of rapid battery use are experiencing some bug that's causing a background or sync process to be running endlessly or more often than it should be.

Attachments

• watchOS 10 battery life.png
    watchOS 10 battery life.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 130

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
running 10 on a s6, left home with 87% at 6am, have 47% now at 8:45pm. I turned off always-on display around noon or so.

seems roughly the same as 9 to me so far?

sure its not playing with the new shiny things more than you normally would?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Same here, I have a series 4 and my battery life prior to watchOS 10 was easily a day and a half on a single charge. The battery life on watchOS 10 is now half as good, I love the changes watchOS 10 brought in terms of the interface and UI but the battery life is horrendous

Diopter

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
sure its not playing with the new shiny things more than you normally would?
For the record I've barely touched the watch today - far less than I would typically use it. I deliberately avoided using it to see how rapidly it would use the battery at what is essentially "idle" use.

I think it's clear at this point that this is a bug and it's only impacting some people.

Edit: In case it isn't obvious from the graphs I posted, in the first graph I still have 41% battery left, so I could have probably worn it for a full 24 hours continually if I'd wanted to, compared to just 8 hours on watchOS 10. So it's only getting about 1/3rd the battery life of watchOS 9.6! Something is clearly bugged on mine.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
For the record I've barely touched the watch today - far less than I would typically use it. I deliberately avoided using it to see how rapidly it would use the battery at what is essentially "idle" use.

I think it's clear at this point that this is a bug and it's only impacting some people.

Edit: In case it isn't obvious from the graphs I posted, in the first graph I still have 41% battery left, so I could have probably worn it for a full 24 hours continually if I'd wanted to, compared to just 8 hours on watchOS 10. So it's only getting about 1/3rd the battery life of watchOS 9.6! Something is clearly bugged on mine.

I'd hazard a guess that it's an app not playing nice with OS10.

I've got a very minimal selection of apps on mine to the point where I'd probably be an edge case.

rseneta

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
I installed the watchOS 10 RC last week and apparently it's the same as the final version. I own an AppleWatch Series 5 and so far I was perfectly happy with it, after a full day at the office I easily had 25%ish left of battery life. I would say it lasted up to 16hrs.

But now, with watchOS 10 my battery life is down to less than 12hrs. What is your exeprience? I hoped that they would fix it with the final release, but they haven't.
SAME! My Series 5 watch updated to 10.0 and was dead by 6:00 that night. I lost about 10% an hour in just normal wear-no exercise or music etc.... SUPER UPSET

Reactions: Saludos

rseneta

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Day 2 on my Apple Watch ios10 and by 9:00 AM I am down to 75% after normal wear. Yesterday my watch was dead by 6:00 PM and I didn't really do much. This better change.

Chuzwuzzin

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
UK
Another data point. Updated to OS10 yesterday afternoon and there was a clear increase in battery drain until bedtime looking at the slope of the graph in settings (no doubt exacerbated by showing my kids the new snoopy watch face). Today however the rate of battery drain seems to be back to OS9 levels. I've not tried a workout yet.

AW7 45mm.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Series 6, battery health 82%. Upgraded to 10 last night. Went on a run today with 53% charge (low for when i went out at 5pm (took off charger around 645am). It died 47 minutes into my run (with spotify running). Pathetic. Ultra can't come soon enough. Iphone 14pro also seems lower than usual, but not as crazy as watch.
wait, you're planning on buying a new watch because apple screwed you over with a firmware update?

Reactions: Saludos

bradincroton

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
going out this morning to do another 10K and see how much is drained by the end. not changing anything on watch from last night.
A bit better this morning, but still - in a 52 minute run with spotify I drained 40% of battery (99-59%). Last night went from 50% to dead in a 47 minute run with spotify.

Quarric

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Both my watch and my phone had a pretty poor battery day yesterday after I’d installed the new updates over the previous night. Today both are behaving better fortunately, as of now, 4:20pm, watch (s6 91% battery health) is at 70% charge, and phone is still above 80%
I expected the crap day yesterday, glad it hasn’t persisted.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I updated Monday night (Series 4) and all was fine that day and yesterday (Tuesday). Today, I dropped from 100% to 44% with 2 hours. Charged it back up and now 3 hours later I have dropped to 49%. Not sure why the battery hit is only starting today and I hope it will be only temporary.

Buc-ee's

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Same issue with Watch OS 10 and a noticeable battery drain on my AWU. Took it off the charger at 6:15 a.m. and 12 hours later I'm down to 66% when pre OS 10 I'd be in the low 80% range. Purchased the watch on release day last year and overall battery health is still at 100%. Fwiw I'm using the new Modular Ultra face.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Same issue with Watch OS 10 and a noticeable battery drain on my AWU. Took it off the charger at 6:15 a.m. and 12 hours later I'm down to 66% when pre OS 10 I'd be in the low 80% range. Purchased the watch on release day last year and overall battery health is still at 100%. Fwiw I'm using the new Modular Ultra face.
Was it 100% when you took it off the charger ? When I put mine on the charger last night I saw this :

« Open charge ring means Apple Watch will now charge to an optimized limit to help extend battery lifespan.
Tap to charge beyond limit. »

i decided to try. It was 80% I guess when it took it off and is now 26% after having to reset it completely (I’m usually around 65% when I set it on the charger at night) due to some glitches Like no more message or email notifications.

Buc-ee's

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Was it 100% when you took it off the charger ? When I put mine on the charger last night I saw this :

« Open charge ring means Apple Watch will now charge to an optimized limit to help extend battery lifespan.
Tap to charge beyond limit. »

i decided to try. It was 80% I guess when it took it off and is now 26% after having to reset it completely (I’m usually around 65% when I set it on the charger at night) due to some glitches Like no more message or email notifications.

Yep, it was on the charger all night and it was at 100% when I took it off. I also have my optimized charge setting on.

Reactions: Yptcn

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Yep, it was on the charger all night and it was at 100% when I took it off. I also have my optimized charge setting on.
And you didn’t see the same note I had on my watch ? Odd. I have optimized charge on also.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Series 8 here and experiencing the same issues with watchOS 10. I'm also seeing more drain on my phone since going to iOS 17. This has to be a bug of some sort. I think they'll have it patched with one of the .1 updates that always seem to follow a major release. I'd bet with a lot more devices running updated software they'll get more telemetry data and identify the issue quicker than when people were just running betas, I hope anyway. I'm not buying a new watch when the only thing that's changed recently is the software its running.

Coming back here to provide an update. Ended yesterday close to 20%, its usually in the 40s or higher at that same time.

Today, however, its been much much better. I've been awake for 5 hours at this point and I'm at 97% battery on the watch. My phone is a different story but it seems like whatever was making the watch drain like crazy yesterday has settled back to normal.

Buc-ee's

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
And you didn’t see the same note I had on my watch ? Odd. I have optimized charge on also.
Oh I've seen that message before, it doesn't show up every time I put my watch on the charger though. About 99% of the time I charge my watch overnight, but I have on occasion put it on the charger during the day while I'm taking a shower or laying down for nap.

Buc-ee's

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Coming back here to provide an update. Ended yesterday close to 20%, its usually in the 40s or higher at that same time.

Today, however, its been much much better. I've been awake for 5 hours at this point and I'm at 97% battery on the watch. My phone is a different story but it seems like whatever was making the watch drain like crazy yesterday has settled back to normal.
Nice. Perhaps the OS 10 code that handles battery charging and app usage has been overhauled and its taking several days for each persons watch to "learn" the new algorithm and return to pre OS 10 levels.

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Apple Watch series 4 here! this update killed my Apple Watch series 4. Before this update I arrived in the evening with a generous 15% surplus. Now the Apple Watch dies mid-afternoon. I hope they solve it

Reactions: Diopter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.