Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diopter

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Today, however, its been much much better. I've been awake for 5 hours at this point and I'm at 97% battery on the watch.
That's good news! I might hold off doing a reset of mine for another couple of days to see if it suddenly fixes itself too.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Oh I've seen that message before, it doesn't show up every time I put my watch on the charger though. About 99% of the time I charge my watch overnight, but I have on occasion put it on the charger during the day while I'm taking a shower or laying down for nap.
I just now put my watch on the charger True enough ,it didn’t show up this time ! 🤷🏻‍♀️

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
After installing WatchOS 10, I've noticed my series 5 battery life fall off a cliff...

Doesn't matter if I'm working out or not, battery life is not what it was before. I know new OS installs and updates take a few days to reindex everything but this is pretty dramatic.

Checked the battery health of my series 5 and found that it's only good for up to 81%. So...that explains at least a few things lol

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
The first day after updating my S4 with 90% battery health I lost 3.5 to 4.5% per hour. The next day during a 1 hour outdoor walk (mowing the lawn) it lost 7% per hour. Later during a 30 minute strength workout it only lost 2% per hour. I’m not sure what all this means other than it’s hard to get a consistent determination of how long a full charge should last. Even though my S4 battery is at 90% battery health I will probably upgrade this year since this may be the last series to use current watch bands .

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Started the Weather app on my AW7 (usually never do this). Experienced severe drain (10% per hour). Force quit the app and battery drain was back to normal.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
No, it's not the case for me.
It's fully charged but it eats the battery very fast.

For my AW Ultra it is eating through the battery faster with the same settings and the Modular Ultra watch face makes it even worse.

Using it as a regular AW it was going through approx 40% battery per day. At the moment it is eating approx 60% battery per day. Have not tried it out on a day hike or activity since the update.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
My battery life has definitely taken a hit on my Ultra I bought earlier this year. Usually I charge it every other night while at work and it would have roughly 30-35% charge after 48 hours. I fully charged it Monday night after updating and it’s been around 45 hours since I took it off the charger and right now it is at 18% battery level. I’ll still be able to get away with charging it every other night but not much wiggle room if I get busy and can’t be at my desk to charge it.

Reactions: dk001

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
After af day our 41 MM and 45 MM apple series 8 watch finally indexed everything and my wife's watch and mine are back to normal of having all day charges. The first day we both had to go to the chargers twice to get them up to 100%. Last night I went to bed with 97% and with sleep tracking on when I woke up this morning it was 79%. I went all day and it was down to 47% when I popped my 45 MM on the charger. My wife's watch was at 98% last night and when I put it on the charger a hour ago it was at 52%.

Selandia

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
Update on mine Serie 4
Update. Now after 3hours and 10min battery is Down to 75% only walking at the offfice.
Update: Fully Recharged watch at 22.15pm vent to bed and now 7.30am after a run with out trainning app running. I am on 38% battery, normal is will be around 60/65% with OS 9.

A thing is, Tuesday afternoon I was looking at my tranning badges, all was there but not the amount of them eg.400% only says 6 times but is over a 1000 etc. this was change last night so all badges are up to date.

So I believe something is going on with updating in the background that has been using a lot of power over the past days.

Battery has become better this morning, but not as god as with OS9.

Reactions: Diopter

ARSCON

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
I installed the watchOS 10 RC last week and apparently it's the same as the final version. I own an AppleWatch Series 5 and so far I was perfectly happy with it, after a full day at the office I easily had 25%ish left of battery life. I would say it lasted up to 16hrs.

But now, with watchOS 10 my battery life is down to less than 12hrs. What is your exeprience? I hoped that they would fix it with the final release, but they haven't.
Had my Watch Ultra die for the first time last night, nearly fully charged it and 24 hours later it’s sitting below 40%, I sincerely hope for better battery life in the coming updates, since it’s quite disappointing going from 2 to 3 days of battery down to about 1 to 2. Might try resetting it if it persists for the next couple days.

Reactions: dk001

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
Started the Weather app on my AW7 (usually never do this). Experienced severe drain (10% per hour). Force quit the app and battery drain was back to normal.
I suspect that high battery usage is somewhere linked with GPS localization.
There are huge bugs in iOS17/watchOS10 with GPS authorization process, there are location issues in workouts.
When running, battery usage is insane (LTE disabled).
I hope Apple will fix that urgently.

Reactions: throAU and dk001

ARSCON

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2022
I installed the watchOS 10 RC last week and apparently it's the same as the final version. I own an AppleWatch Series 5 and so far I was perfectly happy with it, after a full day at the office I easily had 25%ish left of battery life. I would say it lasted up to 16hrs.

But now, with watchOS 10 my battery life is down to less than 12hrs. What is your exeprience? I hoped that they would fix it with the final release, but they haven't.
Had my Watch Ultra die for the first time last night, nearly fully charged it and 24 hours later it’s sitting below 40%, I sincerely hope for better battery life in the coming updates, since it’s quite disappointing going from 2 to 3 days of battery down to about 1 to 2. Might try resetting it if it persists for the next couple days.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
I think it's important to flag / share issues like this, but also to 'wait it out' a few days to establish whether it's a just a symptom of a big update needing time to settle down.

Subjectively and without numbers, it 'feels' like my S6 battery is depleting more quickly since upgrading both Watch & iPhone on Monday night, but I've also had an unusual week so far away from home and up earlier / bed later, so it's difficult to tell.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands

That is exactly my issue. My battery health is at 83% but that got me to the end of day with 10% battery life left (07:30 - 23:00)

Watch OS 10 gets me to 0% at 21:00 - same usage etc.

flboy44

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2023
Just a reminder that (presumably) it can help to offer feedback here, as I did today:

Hopefully they'll get the message if enough people do it.
I reported this when it first hit, in the beta. Says open.
1695295845141.png

segundo

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2003
My battery life has dropped significantly since updating to Watch OS 10.

Previously I could charge in the morning, use my watch all day including multiple workouts, then wear it overnight to track my sleep. Now it appears I'll need to charge multiple times throughout the day.

Series 4 with Battery Life at 83%.

I'd advise others to not upgrade to Watch OS 10 and to not purchase a new Apple Watch until this is resolved.

Reactions: Saludos

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have also sent a feedback.
We have to complain at Apple, not only on this forum if we want them fix this.
Does someone have called apple support for that ?

Reactions: Saludos

Master Fwiffo

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2003
Here to add another report - Apple Watch SE. Until yesterday, I regularly got 14-16 hours out of it (5a-9p). Yesterday it had run out by 3p. Today after my morning routine, only three hours in, it was down to 30%. Apple better fix this quick!

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I have a series 6. I did the OS 10 update the day after it came out. My AW battery life for the day after the update was terrible. It died on my wrist. I didn't notice the time as I don't play with it much.

The next day's battery life was much better than on the day of the update, but still nowhere near as good as it was on OS 9.

Thanks to this thread, I've found my battery health. It says 79% and recommends I get the battery serviced. Does anyone on here know how much that might be? I suspect that will have a cost similar to a new watch.

I'm going to see how it goes for now. I want to hold off buying a new watch until the Series 10 comes out next year

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
After installing OS10, on the first couple of days you could almost see the battery value decrease it was so fast on my S8 (around 10-15% per hour).

Yesterday, I unpaired the watch and since being off the charger around 9 hours ago (with 2 hours' exercise) I'm at 55%, which is pretty reasonable.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
I have a series 6. I did the OS 10 update the day after it came out. My AW battery life for the day after the update was terrible. It died on my wrist. I didn't notice the time as I don't play with it much.

The next day's battery life was much better than on the day of the update, but still nowhere near as good as it was on OS 9.

Thanks to this thread, I've found my battery health. It says 79% and recommends I get the battery serviced. Does anyone on here know how much that might be? I suspect that will have a cost similar to a new watch.

I'm going to see how it goes for now. I want to hold off buying a new watch until the Series 10 comes out next year
You just have to look on the Apple website for Apple Watch battery service
In France, it's 109€, and you get a new watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.