Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valjean

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
I installed pre-RC1 last night on my MacBook with Boot Camp. The install went quite smooth, better than XP. It run's fine too, but I think I'm missing something; it just feels like a UI update to XP. I guess I don't know what the enhancements are to Vista, so I'm not sure what to look for. I was impressed with IE7 though, at least compared to IE6. It was quick and the tabs worked well. But I'm sticking with Safari and Firefox. Anyway, I'll leave it on for a while to see what the big deal is.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Anyone install this on a Mac Pro yet? I'm wondering if the hard drive crawls, in which case we may be out of luck.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Nuc said:
Varies between 700-760 KB/sec. Gotta love T1 lines at school...

Nuc

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't get over 55 KB/sec:(

Plus I have a 6GB Cap, and pay more than what most of you pay for way faster lines:(

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I'm getting about 500-700KBPs on my 15MB/384K connection. To those downloading, I'd recommend using DownloadThemAll extension with Firefox. Microsoft's download manager is crap, and the download will stop at some point with so many downloading. Get it here. It'll let you have more control of your downloads and pause/resume/etc them.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Heres the best suggestion I can make to everyone here.

DO NOT INSTALL ANY CD EMULATION SOFTWARE.

Inclduing DAEMON Tools, Alcohol 120, Nero Imagedrive, CloneCD, etc.

The drivers will make Vista hang everytime you boot to where you'll either have to reinstall or hunt down the drivers using the command prompt and deleting them.

If you have these programs installed, disable and uninstall them.

coorspate

macrumors regular
May 20, 2006
i installed it and everything went smooth with the install, it even works without deleting the efi partition.

one thing though it doesnt like other web browsers i tried firefox and opera and both times i got an error message saying that aero will be disabled while running them.

guess micro$oft doesnt like competition:rolleyes:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Is there any way to enter in to the beta program at this point?

Also, can this be installed without the key (say, 30 day activation period or something)?

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
Error code

I have some problems installing Pre-RC1. I downloaded Pre-RC1 from their website using download manager, everything went fine. So I burned it on a DVD. Alright.
Note that I already had XP at this point. So I put the DVD in the drive, everything seem to work fine, so I formated the XP partition, and installed it there. The installer starts, copying files seems to go, then when it is expanding files a dumb error shows up:
"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for install are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017."

Damn! So I restarted, and same thing happends. So I went to Boot Camp, deleted and formated the XP partition so it was only the Mac OS X partition. This time I went throught Boot Camp to install it. But, the same error! The strange thing is when I click option key it shows a windows icon, which may be the old XP one, althought when I see the partition in the Windows Vista Installer it is only 4 of them, Partition 1 200 MB, Partition 2 50 GB (Mac OS X), Partition 3 22 GB (for the Vista install) and Partion 4, unlocated space 128 MB.

Thought it would be easy to install it, but this error stops the install. Any idea what it might be? Very thankful for help!

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
Hey,
Did you all need a CD key to install this download? I am thinking of trying this on my PC first before the Mac. Also, those who downloaded this, did you all need to activate this product with a CD key and does it have any expiration earlier than Feb 2007 (I think it said that on the website)

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
ImAlex said:
I have some problems installing Pre-RC1. I downloaded Pre-RC1 from their website using download manager, everything went fine. So I burned it on a DVD. Alright.
Note that I already had XP at this point. So I put the DVD in the drive, everything seem to work fine, so I formated the XP partition, and installed it there. The installer starts, copying files seems to go, then when it is expanding files a dumb error shows up:
"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for install are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017."

Damn! So I restarted, and same thing happends. So I went to Boot Camp, deleted and formated the XP partition so it was only the Mac OS X partition. This time I went throught Boot Camp to install it. But, the same error! The strange thing is when I click option key it shows a windows icon, which may be the old XP one, althought when I see the partition in the Windows Vista Installer it is only 4 of them, Partition 1 200 MB, Partition 2 50 GB (Mac OS X), Partition 3 22 GB (for the Vista install) and Partion 4, unlocated space 128 MB.

Thought it would be easy to install it, but this error stops the install. Any idea what it might be? Very thankful for help!

Tried again and it did not work. It somewhat stops at expanding. I am kinda sure the DVD is fine, so what might it be?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
For anyone who has problems with sound stuttering/skipping, reinstall the drivers that are on the Macintosh Drivers CD/the latest drivers for your mainboards' chipsets. It seems to be that the IDE drivers in Vista contribute to a huge amount of skipping. I installed the XP drivers for my motherboard, and there is hardly ANY skipping, down from every 10 seconds. It's skipped once or twice

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
willybNL said:
I noticed the ISO has a /efi/ directory... so, is MS supporting EFI all of the sudden?

Do we still need bootcamp (or the alt) at all?
Erm... they may not be supporting it, but they do tolerate it. Vista used to bomb out if there was an EFI partition; now there's no problem.

And you do still need the ALT key, because (so far) I don't think you can get Apple's Startup control panel to appear in Vista, which means you can't just set the startup OS and reboot. One way or the other, you'll need to use ALT at some point. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
clayj said:
Erm... they may not be supporting it, but they do tolerate it. Vista used to bomb out if there was an EFI partition; now there's no problem.

And you do still need the ALT key, because (so far) I don't think you can get Apple's Startup control panel to appear in Vista, which means you can't just set the startup OS and reboot. One way or the other, you'll need to use ALT at some point. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

You dont have to use Alt/Option at all. :confused: How ? use your frontrow remote :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.