Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
3F979782-6141-44FC-B722-F7328413E77A.jpeg

Anyone? High audience ratings, not a usual role for a buffed Henry Cavill. He talks just like the Geralt from the PC Game, a man of few deep words. Probably here because of Game of Thrones.

I’m on episode 3, only 8 episodes in the season. A main plot, sub plot, while the Witcher kills monsters. The very first scene when the Witcher pops out of a pond fighting a big ugly spidery thing, kind of turned me off as it seemed unrealistic.

Reactions: mikzn

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast

Anyone? High audience ratings, not a usual role for a buffed Henry Cavill. He talks just like the Geralt from the PC Game, a man of few deep words. Probably here because of Game of Thrones.

I’m on episode 3, only 8 episodes in the season. A main plot, sub plot, while the Witcher kills monsters. The very first scene when the Witcher pops out of a pond fighting a big ugly spidery thing, kind of turned me off as it seemed unrealistic.

I watched the first half hour. It was terrible. No plot. Bad writing. Bad acting. Bad direction. Just a waste of time.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I'm on episode 3 and disagree with everything said above. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's no Game of Thrones but I wasn't expecting it to be. It's a decent fantasy show which are few and far between. My opinion may change as I continue watching but for now I recommend to those that are on the fence to give it a shot.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched the first half hour. It was terrible. No plot. Bad writing. Bad acting. Bad direction. Just a waste of time.
i kind of agree, it’s disjointed, Helier skelter.
I'm on episode 3 and disagree with everything said above. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's no Game of Thrones but I wasn't expecting it to be. It's a decent fantasy show which are few and far between. My opinion may change as I continue watching but for now I recommend to those that are on the fence to give it a shot.
For myself there are 8 episodes to get through. It has some interesting plot points, but it is so disjointed. I had to read a plot summary to figure out what was going on in Episode 4 (a flashback intermingled with the present story). I was asking my wife, is this the deceased queen’s sister?

Both the wife and I find it watchable, but not memorable, and no where near GoT quality. There is a decent/good story there, but the telling is so poor as to diminish it. And Geralt is much too abbreviated as a character to grow on me.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

I am enjoying it as well ? watched 2 episodes so far

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
i kind of agree, it’s disjointed, Helier skelter.

For myself there are 8 episodes to get through. It has some interesting plot points, but it is so disjointed. I had to read a plot summary to figure out what was going on in Episode 4 (a flashback intermingled with the present story). I was asking my wife, is this the deceased queen’s sister?

Both the wife and I find it watchable, but not memorable, and no where near GoT quality. There is a decent/good story there, but the telling is so poor as to diminish it. And Geralt is much too abbreviated as a character to grow on me.

If Netflix intends the Witcher to be another Game of Thrones, they will be disappointed.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Considering the way Game of Thrones ended, saying a series is NOT going to be another game of thrones is high praise.
The GoT Season 8 was a bit of a train wreck for an otherwise stellar series. Another case where money gets in the way of story telling, compromises had to be made, but arguably bad creative choices were made. I’ll leave this here:

:D
You can watch the GoT clips in this video and even though season 8 was messed up, it is a light year ahead of the The Witcher narrative. There is just no comparison.

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
Considering the way Game of Thrones ended, saying a series is NOT going to be another game of thrones is high praise.

I disagree. In the first place, I don’t think anyone should be judging a multi year series by the last season. In the second place, true, the last season felt rushed in the same way Star Wars: Episode IX felt rushed and probably for the same reason. Lastly, The Witcher pales in comparison to Game of Thrones in terms of story, dialog, writing, and acting*. Compare GoT episode 1 with the first episode of TW. End of story.

* just try comparing Henry Cavill’s ossified acting with Sean Bean’s, for instance.

Reactions: Huntn

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
The GoT Season 8 was a bit of a train wreck for an otherwise stellar series. Another case where money gets in the way of story telling, compromises had to be made, but arguably bad creative choices were made. I’ll leave this here:

:D
You can watch the GoT clips in this video and even though season 8 was messed up, it is a light year ahead of the The Witcher narrative. There is just no comparison.

That's mostly wrong. You're quick to accuse big corporations of "cashing in" but in the case of GoT it was Benioff and Weiss who wanted to move on, HBO was ready for 2 more seasons.

You're only right because B&W ditched GoT for a more lucrative deal to work on a Star Wars project. Seeing how bad they are at making something without any source material to go back to, I'm quite happy they've now ditched the Star Wars project for another Netflix deal.

Reactions: Lasrjock and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's mostly wrong. You're quick to accuse big corporations of "cashing in" but in the case of GoT it was Benioff and Weiss who wanted to move on, HBO was ready for 2 more seasons.

You're only right because B&W ditched GoT for a more lucrative deal to work on a Star Wars project. Seeing how bad they are at making something without any source material to go back to, I'm quite happy they've now ditched the Star Wars project for another Netflix deal.
Thanks for clarifying!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I disagree. In the first place, I don’t think anyone should be judging a multi year series by the last season. In the second place, true, the last season felt rushed in the same way Star Wars: Episode IX felt rushed and probably for the same reason. Lastly, The Witcher pales in comparison to Game of Thrones in terms of story, dialog, writing, and acting*. Compare GoT episode 1 with the first episode of TW. End of story.

* just try comparing Henry Cavill’s ossified acting with Sean Bean’s, for instance.
Cavill seems to be a good actor based on previous projects. I really think they asked him to portray the character that way. :)

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
I’m not sure that clarified anything. GoT was a cash cow for HBO, but I’m sure it was horribly expensive to produce. If Benioff and Weiss wanted to walk away, why didn’t HBO replace them as executive producers?
Contracts. They were the show creators, not just producers

Lasrjock

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2019
Northern VA
Personally, I never cared for Cavill’s acting. As beefcake, he works. As an actor, not so much.

I liked him as Napoleon Solo in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." but I watched the TV series when it was originally on. I've watched the 1st 3 episodes in "The Witcher" and enjoyed the series so far.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Just started watching this, and it's being heavily pushed as 'the new Game of Thrones' (can definitely see the similarities!). Enjoying it so far, and yes think it's definitely filling a niche TV fantasy hole in my life. Now considering a crack at the books as well ? ? (will be interesting to read something not written first in English/ from a different cultural background). All new to me as I've not played the games either! Anyone else, thoughts?

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
We had a kind of "The Witcher cult" in my family (kids). They have all the books and games.
We've already watched all the episodes. Seems to be promising, there are similarities no doubt, but still far from the Game of Thrones in many aspects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falhófnir

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
All new to me as I've not played the games either! Anyone else, thoughts?

Same here (FWIW, the games are supposed to be outstanding). Watched a couple, it's just not very compelling, there's so many incredible shows, and only so much time to watch, I'd rather spend my cycles on something better (even though I get wanting a fantasy series as part of your schedule).

We're about to binge as a re-watch, Mr. Robot from S1, before starting the series finale S4, it's supposed to be incredible (based on S1-3, that seems totally believable).

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have two episodes left, and I have enjoyed it so far.

I didn't have any knowledge about The Witcher prior to watching the show, but I like the fantasy genre, and there really isn't too many fantasy TV shows.

As for the GoT similarities, I guess there might be some influences, but I always thought of GoT as a fantasy-lite genre, and The Witcher is definitely more heavy on the fantasy, which I enjoy.

It took me two or three episodes to realize something really big about The Witcher TV show, I am not sure if it a spoiler, but did anyone notice that:
the timeline at which the show is played is not linear. It jumps back and forth in time.

I didn't notice until at least the second episode, not sure what episode exactly. I thought I missed something, because things were not making sense, but that is when i realized it.

I might rewatch it from the first episode to catch things I missed the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.