Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just started watching this, and it's being heavily pushed as 'the new Game of Thrones' (can definitely see the similarities!). Enjoying it so far, and yes think it's definitely filling a niche TV fantasy hole in my life. Now considering a crack at the books as well ? ? (will be interesting to read something not written first in English/ from a different cultural background). All new to me as I've not played the games either! Anyone else, thoughts?
It’s no GOT, not even close. :)

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
While it doesn't have the production quality nor acting that the GoT had, there are things I like about The Witcher more than GoT.
Admittedly up front I’m in the minority (93% positive viewer rating at Rotten Tomatoes). But acting headed by Cavill‘s flat portrayal, sub-par direction, so-so production values, and a fractured, disjointed narrative, that hops back and forth in time makes for at best, a mediocre viewing experience. CGI is decent. IMO as presented, there are zero memorable moments, zero thrills so far in this series. I have one more episode to watch as a desire to see how they end it. Oh, and there is ample nudity. :)
[automerge]1577463459[/automerge]
Agreed 100%! But that's not to say it isn't enjoyable. On the up side is that unlike GoT I don't have to remember who and what are 5 trillion different characters are and how they relate to the 4.9999 trillion others that I forget were in 7+ episodes ago.
Oh, you are exaggerating to make you point. :D

Last edited:

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Agreed 100%! But that's not to say it isn't enjoyable. On the up side is that unlike GoT I don't have to remember who and what are 5 trillion different characters are and how they relate to the 4.9999 trillion others that I forget were in 7+ episodes ago.
Here you don't know from the start till the end who is who, what is what, and why is why. ;)
Actually, if you didn't read the books, you just guess at best. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There is plenty of room to critique the final GOT season. I’ve been a vocal critique of its short changed series final, but the story as written (in the novels) is an amazing, riveting, thrilling coherent narrative, with compelling, complex characters, practically all of them, with intriguing story arcs, Jamie, Theon, all of the Starks... ok, I just stopped myself from naming every character. ;) When viewers connect with a story like this, it becomes infused with a glow that amplifies it’s positives, elevating it into something special. So for the GOT series, I’d give it a B+, because it’s marred by the final season, creative choices made by the producers.

The Witcher in comparison, hardly made it out of the starting gate, relying on mediocre action, poor screenplay, flat acting, poor direction, etc. I’d give season 1 a D-, which makes me sad, because the story had potential, especially Yennifer, the part elf, hunchback who literally remakes herself, realizing her potential. That could have been amazing.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Here you don't know from the start till the end who is who, what is what, and why is why. ;)
Actually, if you didn't read the books, you just guess at best. :)
That's definitely something I'm struggling a bit with!
It’s no GOT, not even close. :)
I'm still only a couple of episodes in, and yes and no so far on that one... I can see the potential of a big world high fantasy series with a lot of background lore and so far some reasonably compelling characters (no, not on GoT level but still reasonably engaging). I think I like the videogamesque fight scenes a lot more* than the nicely choreographed but comparatively dull sword fights in GoT - but then I always found the TV series wanting a bit in fantasy elements (a lot more of which are in the books) as a whole. I'm trying to stick to apples to apples comparison between the two TV series, not comparing the books until I've at least read them on the Witcher side!

* Yeah what a millennial ?

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I finished the series last night, and honestly, still trying to wrap my brain around it. The time jumps back and forth with no screen wipes or "date stamps" makes it extremely hard to follow.

I don't mind having the three different storylines, but whoever said to have them all jumbled together when they take place at different time periods needs to be taken out back and shot.

Reactions: jkcerda

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I finished the series last night, and honestly, still trying to wrap my brain around it. The time jumps back and forth with no screen wipes or "date stamps" makes it extremely hard to follow.

I don't mind having the three different storylines, but whoever said to have them all jumbled together when they take place at different time periods needs to be taken out back and shot.
Future seasons should be more cohesive. First season is based on short stories that are not connected to each other. They were released after main series of books was released. Those short stories cover background of characters. So future seasons should follow plot of actual books and not just short stories and be more cohesive.

Reactions: jbachandouris

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Watched another episode last night. At some point, I started appreciating the "humph".

JackWhite123

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2021
I really liked this series. I fell in love with this universe.
And now I am very sad that my heart nothing can't hook at the moment.
Do you think the next seasons will be just as catchy?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I really liked this series. I fell in love with this universe.
Me too.

The second season definitely got a higher production budget than the first, and the CGI was better as well.

That said, I think I like the first season better and found it to be more enjoyable.

In the second season, Geralt seemed to have less screen time than some of the supporting character, many which wasn't nearly as interesting as the main three. Francesca being one of the main ones. Maybe the actual time on-screen wasn't more than Geralt's, but each time the there was a cut to Francesca or the elves, the show seemed to slow to a crawl.

I liked that Ciri got more to do this season, and I loved that she wasn't written like too many female characters are in modern media (Rey from Star Wars for example), Ciri actually fails most of the time, and with training, hardworking, and time, she starts getting better.

The changes with Nilfgaard was welcomed. The first season, Nilfgaard was mostly portrayed as the big-bad, evil zealots lead by an evil leader. In the second season, Nilfgaard seemed more understandable, and not necessarily the bad side.

Maybe it is just me, but anyone else notice a theme in season 2, where a lot of the make characters are portrayed as either evil/mean or just stupid? That was a turn-off, and I am hoping that isn't the direction that the show is going. In the last 6-9 years, it seems like many TV shows and movies have been portraying male characters that way (many of them being commercial failures), I really hope that the third season gets a little better with it.

The big reveal at the end was great, and I now have many questions and theories. I had a feeling that Emhyr was going to be revealed as someone we already knew, but wasn't sure who he could have been.

Can't wait til the third season!

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Me too.

The second season definitely got a higher production budget than the first, and the CGI was better as well.

That said, I think I like the first season better and found it to be more enjoyable.

In the second season, Geralt seemed to have less screen time than some of the supporting character, many which wasn't nearly as interesting as the main three. Francesca being one of the main ones. Maybe the actual time on-screen wasn't more than Geralt's, but each time the there was a cut to Francesca or the elves, the show seemed to slow to a crawl.

I liked that Ciri got more to do this season, and I loved that she wasn't written like too many female characters are in modern media (Rey from Star Wars for example), Ciri actually fails most of the time, and with training, hardworking, and time, she starts getting better.

The changes with Nilfgaard was welcomed. The first season, Nilfgaard was mostly portrayed as the big-bad, evil zealots lead by an evil leader. In the second season, Nilfgaard seemed more understandable, and not necessarily the bad side.

Maybe it is just me, but anyone else notice a theme in season 2, where a lot of the make characters are portrayed as either evil/mean or just stupid? That was a turn-off, and I am hoping that isn't the direction that the show is going. In the last 6-9 years, it seems like many TV shows and movies have been portraying male characters that way (many of them being commercial failures), I really hope that the third season gets a little better with it.

The big reveal at the end was great, and I now have many questions and theories. I had a feeling that Emhyr was going to be revealed as someone we already knew, but wasn't sure who he could have been.

Well, technically, Witcher series is more about Ciri then Geralt.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Well, technically, Witcher series is more about Ciri then Geralt.
I have not played the game nor read any of the books on the Witcher, but with that said, I don’t think I had any complaints about Ciri in my post, as I liked what was done with her.

My complaint was about the amount of time spent on the less interesting characters and subplots.

I wanted to see more Geralt.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Me too.

Just started Season 2. We really enjoyed the Episode about cursed boar face. I just wish James Carvel did not talk in a guttural tone all the time. I know, it’s his character. :) The Mandalorian’s voice bugs me too. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.