Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
CDProject does everything right. No DRM, base edition stuffed, even a loyalty discount. I'm usually opposed to preorders and I'd preorder this if I weren't waiting for Maxwell GPUs.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I know I posted this, but I for one cannot buy into a game that is not released until next year, and has no published specs yet, you could end up buying into a game that will NOT run on your machine.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
CDProject does everything right. No DRM, base edition stuffed, even a loyalty discount.

Except for charging an extra $20 just because I don't live in the US...

To be fair, they apparently offer $20 worth of "classics" to make up for it, but then why charge the higher price in the first place?

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

To be fair, they apparently offer $20 worth of "classics" to make up for it, but then why charge the higher price in the first place?

Import taxes, compliance issues, other regulations. Same reasons everything else is more expensive in your area of the world. Your beef is with your government, not CD Projekt Red.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

It's not by choice. Many publishers won't sell a game without regional pricing. Gog recently stated they will fight for flat prices, but when they can't they will offer gog credit.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I see this has gone up on steam today for steamos, why would anybody want it on steam with DRM when you can get it on GoG DRM free ? Just wondered.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
It's not by choice. Many publishers won't sell a game without regional pricing. Gog recently stated they will fight for flat prices, but when they can't they will offer gog credit.

I dunno why that should affect W3, as CDPR owns both Witcher and GoG.

I see this has gone up on steam today for steamos, why would anybody want it on steam with DRM when you can get it on GoG DRM free ? Just wondered.

I bought W1 on steam and W2 on GoG. CDPR later gave all people who bought game on steam a free GoG copy as well, dunno if this would apply to W3.

Anyways, I'm no fan of pre-orders, but CDPR have never disappointed me*, and they have the fairest ways of distributing things with no DRM nonsense, so I'm gonna pre-order this!

*the Witcher 2 mac port was not so good and Virtual Programming made it and they don't have any support whatsoever and they make horrible ports...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I know I posted this, but I for one cannot buy into a game that is not released until next year, and has no published specs yet, you could end up buying into a game that will NOT run on your machine.

I agree, but honestly, with my game backlog, by the time I get around to playing it, I'm sure whatever machine I have would handle it (and we''ll all be flying around on anti-grav belts, too!)

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I agree, but honestly, with my game backlog, by the time I get around to playing it, I'm sure whatever machine I have would handle it (and we''ll all be flying around on anti-grav belts, too!)

Have to agree with this, I also have a pretty huge RPG backlog :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Import taxes, compliance issues, other regulations. Same reasons everything else is more expensive in your area of the world. Your beef is with your government, not CD Projekt Red.

There are no import taxes on products under $400 for personal use*. There are unlikely to be any compliance issues as personal imports do not need to be reviewed by OFLC. I'm not aware of any regulations around this; GOG is based outside of NZ so most (if not all) of the local laws don't apply.

They work with various regional publishers to get the game in stores.

That seems to make the most sense. I'm guessing that they've agreed not to undercut boxed versions.

At US$54, Steam appears to be the cheapest place to get the game if you live in NZ (GOG is AU$81 or US$75). Hopefully GOG will offer the same "turn your Steam copy into a GOG copy" deal as mentioned above.

Getting back onto the topic of the actual game, has a Mac version been confirmed yet? The GOG site doesn't say either way, and Steam only shows the Windows logo.

*It's actually products with less than $60 worth of tax, which for software works out at $400 for the actual product.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
There are no import taxes on products under $400 for personal use*. There are unlikely to be any compliance issues as personal imports do not need to be reviewed by OFLC. I'm not aware of any regulations around this; GOG is based outside of NZ so most (if not all) of the local laws don't apply.

Well that depends on where you live for import taxes, although with the Witcher 2 GOG/CD Projeckt Red were sued by their Publisher Namco Bandai when they removed DRM from disc copies of the game after being installed.

They succeeded and were forced to introduced regional pricing if I recall.
Their way around it to try and help customers, and loyal customers is by offering discounts and free games through GOG.

No confirmed Mac version although on Steam it does bodily state coming to SteamOS. Which means a *nix client is in the works already, hopefully the OSX one isn't far behind.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I've only played The Witcher a few hours so far but I haven't had a single problem. It runs just fine for me on a mid 2011 iMac 3.1 CPU, 12 gigs RAM, Radeon 6970m GPU.

As for The Witcher 3, I will become interested in this if and when they announce and deliver a decent Mac version and not before.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
As for The Witcher 3, I will become interested in this if and when they announce and deliver a decent Mac version and not before.

I wonder if I should wait for the Mac version, or install Windows via Bootcamp just for this title...? Or maybe what I want is just to re-play Witcher 2 going Iorweth patch for a change?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I wonder if I should wait for the Mac version, or install Windows via Bootcamp just for this title...? Or maybe what I want is just to re-play Witcher 2 going Iorweth patch for a change?

If you want you can install a SteamOS partition for it W3. :D

Also do re-play W2, path paths and the choices are fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.