Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Interesting, as I have the same model, but with an i7 instead of i3.

Where did you buy the game?

My CPU is an i5 3.1 GHz.

I actually bought the game on Steam and I forget what the issue was now but I couldn't get it to run I believe. Fortunately, gog.com had offered DRM-free editions to people who purchased the game elsewhere for free. So I got the gog.com edition, downloaded and installed that and no problems.

If you haven't tried the gog.com version I would recommend that.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Played longer than 5 minutes and so far no crashes, fingers crossed :)
Well, best of luck to you! As I recall, I was able to get away with only one crash every hour or so... until the third area. At that point it seemed as if I was experiencing crashes every few minutes. The game was completely unplayable. I uninstalled it at that point and figured that I'd come back to it some day... it's been about a year and a half since then, perhaps they released patches that fixed the issues.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Well, best of luck to you! As I recall, I was able to get away with only one crash every hour or so... until the third area. At that point it seemed as if I was experiencing crashes every few minutes. The game was completely unplayable. I uninstalled it at that point and figured that I'd come back to it some day... it's been about a year and a half since then, perhaps they released patches that fixed the issues.

I payed it several years ago all the way through with no problems at all.
Funny how people's experiences are so different.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2022- Whose playing this today? After spending 500 hours in Cyberpunk2077 it was recommended to give this a shot for comparison, by the same developer CDProjekt, thanks @Queen6!

Not far into it, nice scener, combat is about 3x more complicated, versus shoot shoot, stab stab. ;) And I’m struggling to complete a low level quest to kill a noonwraith. No, I’m not giving up yet. :D

Any favorite mods?

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Early game, this is a more difficult then I’m used too. The mortal enemy NPCs are not too bad, it’s the Wraiths, even in the first side quest I did that kicked my butt. Then there is exaggerated gear degradation and the expense of repairing is expensive as compared to my income.

It was the repair gear aspect that was killing me, on normal difficulty, way too high as a player who does not like to work too hard. ;)

However I found a solution. I located online the method to turn on the console, simply add a short line to the ini file (DBGConsoleOn=true) and in game, the ~ key opens it. Money is no longer an issue, Addmoney(1000). Things are looking up. :D

As reinforcement, of how difficult this game is, at least for me and my meager income, I purchased a better sword, a better frock, (not greatly better), repaired my gear, and I had almost burned through that entire 1000 crowns. 🤔

More BS, I walked though a battleground and picked up 27 axes, and the vendor, it might have been a blacksmith paid me 1 crown for each one. :oops:

How to Enable the Debug Console in Witcher 3 | Commands.gg

A simple guide that shows you how to enable the developer debug console in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with two methods (changing game files, or installing a DLC).

Despite this I’m enjoying the game and getting vested in it. Of note, it’s not the first time, I have taken certain short cuts to make certain aspects of a game easier, but I want some challenge on my terms.

Of possible interest, Cyberpunk 2077 by the same company, played that on hard, did not have to give myself any money, nor needed mods, and was able to acquire anything I needed or wanted via routine game play. And I ended the game with $1m+, but yes, it’s a very different game.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since the big patch, my saved games crashes on launch every time. Debating on waiting on another patch, or start a new game, but I don't know if that will help or not... :oops:

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What I’ve discovered about the Next Gen 4.0 patch:
  • Previous game saves (before the patch) cause the game to crash. For some people advanced in the game, this might be a deal breaker.
  • There are some mods listed as 4.0 friendly. Some you plop into the mod folder and they just work. The one i want desperately to work, Auto Loot is more complex in the number of required file alterations and so far no luck getting past the script compilation that happens at the start of a game.
Why is auto loot needed? The last thing you want to do while riding your steed across country is constantly mount and unmounting to grab herbs. It’s so bad, I usually run across the country side because of this mechanic.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since I've installed the NexGen update into Witcher 3, more on Auto Loot.
Although I have gotten 4 mods installed such as increase weight, eliminate fall damage, show all objectives on map, and a lighting overhaul, I really wanted auto loot, and that is just not happening. There are scripting issues that requires a script manager mod to combine them, the script manager does not fix the error, and then even if it did, I image it breaking for every update.

I wanted it, but it does not look like it's going to happen. I remember in Elder Scrolls Oblivion where is it was fairly easy to install a mod that let you harvest plants from horseback... :(

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Since I've installed the NexGen update into Witcher 3, more on Auto Loot.
Although I have gotten 4 mods installed such as increase weight, eliminate fall damage, show all objectives on map, and a lighting overhaul, I really wanted auto loot, and that is just not happening. There are scripting issues that requires a script manager mod to combine them, the script manager does not fix the error, and then even if it did, I image it breaking for every update.

I wanted it, but it does not look like it's going to happen. I remember in Elder Scrolls Oblivion where is it was fairly easy to install a mod that let you harvest plants from horseback... :(
is the lighting mod better than the RT option?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
BTW, after I updated Witcher with the new spiffy patch, selecting either DX11 or 12l I can't get out of the training yard. There is a cut scene with a ship floating in over the yard with a bad guy onboard, the game crashes every time. I've reported this on Steam. Can't play it. :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: Queen6

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After I got this game working due to a patch issue, I felt underpowered in the starting level, was getting beat up by the lowest level mobs. In comparison Skyrim combat is a breeze. Since I’ve more or less dropped The Outer Worlds, I’ll likely try this again. I found the key combos in this for spells was awkward. Any advice?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been reading Sword of Destiny, a Witch Novel composed of Witch Short Stories that are related, I'll assume in cronilogial order. I've noticed that the book is better than both the series and the game, The Witcher III Wild Hunt. 🤔:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.