Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Which is why people provide feedback on OS changes like the System Preferences because they are concerned about the capabilities and coding of the OS.
i was replying to casualFanboy's post about hobbies. not sure how what you've just posted relates to that. 🤔

but love how you fit the 'system preferences' thing in there. 🤣 btw, there's a thread for that. 🤔 this is a thread about 'theming for ventura'...

Last edited:

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Application of Nord based theme on Ventura WIP View attachment 2111536

While I don't personally care for the blue-dominated arctic themes, or the Papirus icon theme, I must say this is a great piece of work. Everything looks very natural, I don't see any dead giveaways that this is a hack.

However it does still very much look like a reskinned post-Big Sur theme. Which is fine, for those who like the UI changes. Subjectively, I still can't stand the general aesthetic (of post-Big Sur) - way too much padding, oversimplified visuals, the lack of titlebars that always makes finder look like it's cut in two.

But I've never seen any themes that address the titlebars, so either it can't be done or the themers just don't care about that aspect.

Clickme

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2020
But I've never seen any themes that address the titlebars, so either it can't be done or the themers just don't care about that aspect.
It would be great if there were a way to make the titlebar/toolbar extend all the way to the left over the sidebar.

Reactions: CasualFanboy

Fernbus

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
Hi guys, (sorry for my english).
I've always liked the Finder icons in Catalina and before.
When I bought my first mac (mini m1) it was already on macOS Big Sur.
Now I went to Ventura and I'm looking for some way to change them but I don't see any.
I read that there are some workarounds if I disable SIP, but I don't know how bad it will be if I do that and I don't want to do that.

I like these icons:

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 09.03.29.jpg

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark

It would be great if there were a way to make the titlebar/toolbar extend all the way to the left over the sidebar.

We do care about that aspect of theming. The situation on modern macOS is however very different from previous ones.

Today many applications has no titlebar in their interface at all. The titlebar they have is occupied by buttons or simply symbols.

It would mean to write an application that could emulate a titlebar. That application would require a software developer.

There's great developers over on the Discord server I'm a member of. There's a piece of theming software in development that could help many more get into theming.

Previous iterations of this software implemented a titlebar across the whole window, which meant that there wasn't any option to click any button that was laid out in the menubar.. Mac App Store for instance has a back-button that wasn't clickable but was there.

Just to say that we think about it as themers. It's more a software developer issue. Someone developing a piece of software that would, system-wide, add the titlebar back like before. On all applications, third-party and first-party.

Reactions: MrSLML and Clickme

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Now I went to Ventura and I'm looking for some way to change them but I don't see any.

Disabling SIP is bad, but thankfully there is no need.

You can manually change folder icons to whatever you wish.

230104-Icons.jpg

Simply select the one you want to change, choose "get info", copy the icon/image, highlight the folder image at the top of the info window and paste the image there.

This of course becomes tedious if you frequently create new folders and want them to have the same default image, but I'm sure there is a way to automate it if this is the case.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Also, no way around theming your macOS Ventura or macOS Monterey on a system level without turning off SIP - it's what you have to do.
Or simply live with other theming possibilities that doesn't involve a system theme.

You can still change system icons using IconChamp and folder icon colors with Manila

Reactions: Clickme and Fernbus

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
What is the Manila app, couldn't find it. Also, any good icon set locations to use with IconChamp?
Manila is here https://github.com/neilsardesai/Manila

good icon set locations? there's still the Iconfactory website at https://freeware.iconfactory.com/icons

There's also the MINIUM2 icon set from Sascha Höhne over at
http://www.rade8.com/

https://www.iconarchive.com has a few sets from popular icon designers.

Jonas Rask (Ekisho and PRY icon sets)

Susumu Yoshida

Sebastiaan de With (Hyperion icon set)

There's TWAIN by Keir Ansell - costs a few $

I also made a set here(that I need to update) Requires a deviantart account to download I think.. I can just share it here of course.
January by Allan

And I made a folder set called Gumdrop

and Apparat

EXO Disk drives

Softicons.com has icon sets from Rick Patrick; Lätt and a few more - https://www.softicons.com/designers/rick-patrick
In addition - https://www.softicons.com/free-icons has quite a large archive of various folders and disk drives still + quite a few old school application icons that sadly doesn't go higher than 128x128, but are useful for Dock purposes as the Dock doesn't show a higher pixel canvas than 128x128 anyway when magnification is on.

Those are a few of the sets I can share right now.. the other things I have are downloaded via waybackmachine and seeking out old websites for artists such as that of Sascha Höhne.

When you make an IconChamp icon theme you can drag the icons from the Iconfactory DMG archives in and usually IconChamp picks up on the names of the folders that are included in the downloads from Iconfactory, such as the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Movies and Music folders - these would already be associated within IconChamp so you can skip a step or two that way.

Last edited:

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Manila is here https://github.com/neilsardesai/Manila

good icon set locations? there's still the Iconfactory website at https://freeware.iconfactory.com/icons

There's also the MINIUM2 icon set from Sascha Höhne over at
http://www.rade8.com/

https://www.iconarchive.com has a few sets from popular icon designers.

The problem with just using a random icon set without changing a lot of theme elements, they don't look any better than plain vanilla post-Big Sur.

I can't express how much I hate the boring, stark look of the post-Big Sur UI. It really says something that Windows is even worse. I have used Linux for over a decade, sometimes full-time for work simply because I cannot and will not use Windows for the work I do. But I got work to buy me a Mac Book Pro, and it certainly makes life easier without the headaches of problems with drivers, displays, etc.

Fernbus

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
I use ''Folder Design'' For color and logo folder.
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 16.29.57.png
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 16.30.11.png

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 23.04.55.png

Last edited:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
The problem with just using a random icon set without changing a lot of theme elements, they don't look any better than plain vanilla post-Big Sur.

I can't express how much I hate the boring, stark look of the post-Big Sur UI. It really says something that Windows is even worse. I have used Linux for over a decade, sometimes full-time for work simply because I cannot and will not use Windows for the work I do. But I got work to buy me a Mac Book Pro, and it certainly makes life easier without the headaches of problems with drivers, displays, etc.
That's a complete fair opinion.. the whole thing sort of bites itself in the tail .. without SIP off there won't be a metallic-type / futuristic theme for use with the e.g MINIUM2 folder icons.

There's just not enough people chanting for themes because most new Mac-users or old Mac-users with newer Macs , won't turn off SIP because of the features that Apple allows on Apple Silicon Macs when the system is "intact"

And I still think that what Apple does now is a direct consequence(or one of them) of the Application Enhancer Framework. When people began bringing their Macs to Genius Bars, complaining about "My Mac won't boot up after updating to OS X Tiger 10.4.5" and the "geniuses" there saw APE Framework installed...yeah enough of those incidents is part of why Apple locks down their OS -- and because some macOS users are dumb - in the sense that they ought to know better.

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
That's a complete fair opinion.. the whole thing sort of bites itself in the tail .. without SIP off there won't be a metallic-type / futuristic theme for use with the e.g MINIUM2 folder icons.

There's just not enough people chanting for themes because most new Mac-users or old Mac-users with newer Macs , won't turn off SIP because of the features that Apple allows on Apple Silicon Macs when the system is "intact"

And I still think that what Apple does now is a direct consequence(or one of them) of the Application Enhancer Framework. When people began bringing their Macs to Genius Bars, complaining about "My Mac won't boot up after updating to OS X Tiger 10.4.5" and the "geniuses" there saw APE Framework installed...yeah enough of those incidents is part of why Apple locks down their OS -- and because some macOS users are dumb - in the sense that they ought to know better.

There's no getting around it, a lot of mac users are clueless - to put it in polite terms.

What's puzzling is the obsession Apple has with what users choose to do with their own property. Let's suppose someone completely screws up the entire system while playing around with unsupported customization - so what? Apple is under no obligation to fix it.

As someone who enjoys customizing and can work my way out of most self-created jams, I am one of those people who could turn off SIP but don't, because it's just such a hassle. You have to reboot into special modes just to make a change and then create special mount points, and again reboot normally. And then what happens with the next (usually meaningless) update - is SIP going to automatically re-enable? Will the update even work?

I think Apple should be punished by consumers for their antics, but there's an idiot born every minute who will replace the discerning customer who refuses to play along.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Let's suppose someone completely screws up the entire system while playing around with unsupported customization - so what? Apple is under no obligation to fix it.

The problem is that lots of Mac users do not see it that way, so it becomes Apple’s problem.

Besides, if Macs become malware-infested members of botnets in significant numbers, Apple will (and should) see it as their problem.

robvthof

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2017
The Netherlands
Considering all the above, I'm trying my best to make a decent modification for Ventura / Apple Silicon. Here's a sneak preview:
View attachment 2141415

I love the traffic lights
I only managed to change the lights after changing security to the lowest level (permissive state). Looks great, but some apps stopped working on my machine (f.i. Apollo for reddit).

Can you please explain how you managed to do your magic??

Reactions: MrSLML

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
I love the traffic lights
I only managed to change the lights after changing security to the lowest level (permissive state). Looks great, but some apps stopped working on my machine (f.i. Apollo for reddit).

Can you please explain how you managed to do your magic??
Well... I'm still learning. Indeed, it is only working while SIP and authentic-root are disabled. Not very risky btw. I've copied the traffic lights from an old version (old skool), which I made a couple of years ago; with a "little" help from my friends.
As Allan mentioned before, a couple of enthusiastic developers is trying hard to create themes as well as tools for that purpose on Discord.
I am using ThemeEngine (to change elements in the .car files) and a couple of editors like Affinity Photo 2.
To be complete, I attached my procedure.

Attachments

• Procedure theming macOS (Ventura) Apple Silicon.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 176
  • Love
Reactions: allan.nyholm

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
i never understand people who are more concerned with the appearance of an OS over the capabilities and coding of an OS.

Let's see if I can offer one way you might understand it.

Some people only have requirements that the capabilities of the OS capabilities provide. Also, users might not encounter bugs, so the coding of the OS is largely irrelevant to them. The only thing that constantly impacts them is the look and feel of the user interface. It impacts them every moment they look at the screen.

If I were one of those lucky people, then the appearance of the OS would matter more to me than its capabilities and coding. I'm not one of those lucky people, so theming is not a high priority to me, just a fun thing to do.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Let's see if I can offer one way you might understand it.

Some people only have requirements that the capabilities of the OS capabilities provide. Also, users might not encounter bugs, so the coding of the OS is largely irrelevant to them. The only thing that constantly impacts them is the look and feel of the user interface. It impats them every moment they look at the screen.

If I were one of those lucky people, then the appearance of the OS would matter more to me than its capabilities and coding. I'm not one of those lucky people, so theming is not a high priority to me, just a fun thing to do.
that's not really an answer. i'm asking why choose 'form over function'.

"i don't care how well my mac works, i just want it to look good". or do some people feel like that? 🤔

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
that's not really an answer. i'm asking why choose 'form over function'.

"i don't care how well my mac works, i just want it to look good". or do some people feel like that? 🤔
I think there's an easier answer, or a much worse explanation if you will. Clothes. Yes, your shoes - jeans - t-shirts.. sometimes the form is that your shirt might be too tight that day because of eating too much Thanksgiving dinner or the like. Or shoes could have gotten a little dirty after a walk through a forest on a lovely autumn day; slight overcast and a few drops of rain, not too much - just enough to hear the rain hit the leaves and forest ground.

The function is the same.. despite how far up the belly the t-shirt might have crept. But now your belly button is exposed. This of course makes for a good talking point. Why not buy a t-shirt that's a little larger knowing full and well that your favorite t-shirt has a life of its own during family dinners.

It's just a thing.. like so many other things. There's so many things that shouldn't exist or be or even thought of.

People have asked the question you have for decades now.. But why form over function? Are you serious, I just you like a few words up(Zoolander dialog re-write for this particular purpose) :p

I don't mind defending my choice on theming macOS despite Apple's efforts to have me not to. At the same time I don't have a good enough answer for anyone asking.

I haven't defended it - defend is probably also the wrong term .. there really is no idea in defending form of function when it's a personal computer.

There are some that are very hands on and can change tires on a semi-truck in the blink on an eye. And then there's me. I don't go around telling those that paint murals "Hey, why choose form over function" or those who alter their cars with a drawn on flame on one of the side doors "Hey man,, Seems to me you chose form over function?! How come you don't settle with how your car appeared when you bought it second-hand?" "I mean, you do know that it doesn't drive that much faster with that flame painted on the side of your car door, right"

We like what we like.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
theming is great, i used to do a lot of that (and now, things like bartender and a couple of terminal tweaks). and i used to swear by jailbreaking my iphone.

theme away! am all for it. i just want my car to drive well, and not say "the brakes are pretty shot, but the car looks so good").

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
theming is great, i used to do a lot of that (and now, things like bartender and a couple of terminal tweaks). and i used to swear by jailbreaking my iphone.

theme away! am all for it. i just want my car to drive well, and not say "the brakes are pretty shot, but the car looks so good").
Of course.. no fun having a car if you're off to visit St. Peter at the Pearly Gates because of faulty brakes.. looking good while cruising..

Reactions: fisherking

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
i never understand people who are more concerned with the appearance of an OS over the capabilities and coding of an OS.

I think if you ask people what they think is more "important", then they'll say a reliable, bug free system and the capabilities they use are more important than appearance. If you wonder what people are "concerned" about, it's the things that are on their minds, things they're discussing, things they want to change (or don't want to change in the case of the post you were critical of).

i'm asking why choose 'form over function'.

In terms of "form over function", it's reasonable to be more concerned about form if you find it lacking and don't find function lacking.

The general negative connotation of "form over function" relates to prioritizing form at the expense of function that would provide benefits. It's fine for a person to prioritize form if there is no expense to function (function relevant to that person).

Reactions: fisherking

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
If I may interfere, I would like to mention the following.
It seems obvious that everyone wants a well-functioning system. Besides, we have probably all consciously chosen for macOS; partly because of the intuitive GUI. Some of us like to customize that GUI somewhat to suit her or his needs. Nobody wants to reduce the functionality... it's just about the shell on the outside. If you like the current GUI, that's fine too. So let's respect each other's points of view and let each go her or his own way.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.