Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If I may interfere, I would like to mention the following.
It seems obvious that everyone wants a well-functioning system. Besides, we have probably all consciously chosen for macOS; partly because of the intuitive GUI. Some of us like to customize that GUI somewhat to suit her or his needs. Nobody wants to reduce the functionality... it's just about the shell on the outside. If you like the current GUI, that's fine too. So let's respect each other's points of view and let each go her or his own way.
am glad you're not addressing me. i am all for theming, customizing an OS that's resistant to customization. but there are definitely people who obsess over the look of the OS to the point that some will revert to an older OS, just to get the GUI they prefer.

that i don't understand; but not trying to stop anyone from doing what they want. 👍

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
am glad you're not addressing me. i am all for theming, customizing an OS that's resistant to customization. but there are definitely people who obsess over the look of the OS to the point that some will revert to an older OS, just to get the GUI they prefer.

that i don't understand; but not trying to stop anyone from doing what they want. 👍
I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.. If you felt it was inappropriate then I apologize deeply.

I respect various stances on the issue, and I've more than once just thought "the hell with it all, Windows here I come" or "the hell with it, I'm reverting to macOS Mojave" or even "the hell with it, I'm just turning system protection back on and live with it"

yet, I'm here babbling on and on about how great it all is..

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.. If you felt it was inappropriate then I apologize deeply.

I respect various stances on the issue, and I've more than once just thought "the hell with it all, Windows here I come" or "the hell with it, I'm reverting to macOS Mojave" or even "the hell with it, I'm just turning system protection back on and live with it"

yet, I'm here babbling on and on about how great it all is..
nah, i did not take it personally at all (probably should have added 🤣 after 'am glad you're not addressing me').

we should have more control over our apple devices, but apple... is apple. still, there's a certain joy in working around their limitations (thank you bartender, terminal, experimentation, etc etc).

Andrew73875

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2022
but there are definitely people who obsess over the look of the OS to the point that some will revert to an older OS, just to get the GUI they prefer.

But GUI is very important and Apple actually prides itself on paying a lot of attention to it. Craig Federighi proudly mentioned how long it took them to make the perfect bin icon:

Here's Steve Jobs showing Aqua during the Keynote:

And here's the whole video dedicated to the OS X Yosemite redesign:

And Steve Jobs showing off one of the first GUI on NeXTStep and comparing it with DOS:

Apple is famous for its user friendly, intuitive and stylish graphical user interface.

So it's completely natural that people talk about it and there are those who find the old version better than the new one. Everyone has their preferences.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
But GUI is very important and Apple actually prides itself on paying a lot of attention to it. Craig Federighi proudly mentioned how long it took them to make the perfect bin icon:

Here's Steve Jobs showing Aqua during the Keynote:

And here's the whole video dedicated to the OS X Yosemite redesign:

And Steve Jobs showing off one of the first GUI on NeXTStep and comparing it with DOS:

Apple is famous for its user friendly, intuitive and stylish graphical user interface.

So it's completely natural that people talk about it and there are those who find the old version better than the new one. Everyone has their preferences.
no harm in preferring an older look to a newer one, have not argued that. but that is subjective (which look is 'better').

objectively speaking, a better working OS is a better working OS (but that can be argued too, i guess 🤔)

CasualFanboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2020
Considering all the above, I'm trying my best to make a decent modification for Ventura / Apple Silicon. Here's a sneak preview:
View attachment 2141415
That menu bar reminds me of the old KDE 4 days, with the glassy effect. I forget what that particular style/gradient was called. Might have just been "glass."

Good work. I still wish we could get back our full titlebars. 😭

NordicBoots

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2019
That menu bar reminds me of the old KDE 4 days, with the glassy effect. I forget what that particular style/gradient was called. Might have just been "glass."

Good work. I still wish we could get back our full titlebars. 😭
Thanks. I guess you mean "Plasma".
Unfortunately, we still don't know how to achieve full titlebars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.