Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
After reading all the fuss about MacBook and MacBook Pro heat issues and how they seem to be related to extremely poor thermal paste application (shame on you, Apple), I decided to take the plunge and open my PowerBook G4 up. It doesn't usually get hot to the point where I cannot have it on my lap, but after reading a few threads and articles about this the past couple days, I just had to see what was in my 'book.

Below are a few pictures I've taken after removing the logic board. I'm not a photographer, so forgive me for the less-than-perfect-quality shots.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a poor job, which makes me wonder how long Apple (and other laptop manufacturers) have been neglecting to properly apply thermal paste? I wonder how fixing this will affect the average running temperature of my 'book?

Also, what brand do you guys recommend using as far as the paste goes? I have some Arctic Silver laying around, never used it, don't know where it came from...

Anyways, I know I'm not the first person in the world to open up a Powerbook G4, but for anyone who has a similar system and is wondering about this particular issue, here is your answer...

Attachments

• DSC02637.JPG
    DSC02637.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 2,106
  • DSC02638.JPG
    DSC02638.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 709
  • DSC02640.JPG
    DSC02640.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 485
  • DSC02643.JPG
    DSC02643.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 851
  • DSC02644.JPG
    DSC02644.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 943

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
khisayruou said:
Artic Silver is the best IMO, I personally use Artic Silver 5.
Next step is finding it! I remember now that it came with an aftermarket heatsink for an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ which was used to build the PC I'm typing on now... about 3 years ago.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
someguy said:
Next step is finding it! I remember now that it came with an aftermarket heatsink for an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ which was used to build the PC I'm typing on now... about 3 years ago.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Compusa. Got my wife picking me up some right now.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Wow, so the PowerBooks have badly applied paste too?

This explains a whole lot.

Rich.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
The only spot I would consider a real problem is the graphics chip...half of it has paste, the other half does not...so you get a nice big air gap between the ram and the heatsink....you might want to get some over the whole chip (each one) when you re-apply.

Sure there's a bit too much on the processor, but I've seen a lot worse (like none).

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Been there, done that, sadly lost the pictures. I have a currently disassembled G3 ibook, but it doesn't even use thermal paste (it instead has a foam padded thing between the heat plate and processor).

Willy S

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
iMacs G5 are also hot

Does anybody know how to approach the processor on these machines? I´m willing to open up one of my iMacs and see how the thermal paste is applied and then re-apply arctic silver 5 myself, since the iMacs are no longer under warranty.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Willy S said:
Does anybody know how to approach the processor on these machines?
Kind of a vague question. One thing to note is that (in my PowerBook anyway) the processor is on the far side (underside) of the logic board - which means you have to completely remove it from the computer in order to gain access to the chip.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought the same thing. Once school ends I'll be looking seriously at doing this to my Powerbook.

Post back and let us know what numbers you get after the artic silver treatment.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Everyone should remember that the G4 chip is cooler than the core duo to begin with (since it's "slower"). That would explain why powerbook users say their powerbooks are only "warm" while macbook pro users say their machines are "bloody hot".

This looks like a years-old misconception in Apple. I wonder what would make them get the point.

Oded S.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Willy S said:
Does anybody know how to approach the processor on these machines? I´m willing to open up one of my iMacs and see how the thermal paste is applied and then re-apply arctic silver 5 myself, since the iMacs are no longer under warranty.
Kodiswaran (sp?) usually has lots of pictures of computer guts. Try checking those pictures before cracking open your own iMac!

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
odedia said:
Everyone should remember that the G4 chip is cooler than the core duo to begin with (since it's "slower"). That would explain why powerbook users say their powerbooks are only "warm" while macbook pro users say their machines are "bloody hot".

This looks like a years-old misconception in Apple. I wonder what would make them get the point.

Oded S.

I dunno mind, my PowerBook can get pretty hot. I honestly thought it was part of the parcel, but sometimes it's too hot to touch.

1.67 G4, Before high res screen.

Rich.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Did nobody even notice that that isn't thermal PASTE but a termal PAD?

Quite hard to apply too much unless you put multiple of them on. Sure, there's a lot of compound on there but you can't blame "bad application" on that one.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
PatrickF said:
Did nobody even notice that that isn't thermal PASTE but a termal PAD?
If you're referring to the chip that lies between the video core and the CPU, then yes. I removed it because it was dry and clumpy, and replaced it with Arctic Silver. I didn't get any shots of the new application because I figured anyone who was interested simply wanted to see what the paste job looked like in a typical PB. I've installed a few CPU's in my day so the application part wasn't very exciting.

xPismo said:
Post back and let us know what numbers you get after the artic silver treatment.
CPU idle's around 30-33ºC (as upposed to low-40's before). While running a few apps like FF, iTunes (playing), Adium, connected via AirPort, and of course Temperature Monitor, the CPU bounces between 35-36ºC. Last night, half an hour after the job was complete, I turned the 'book on, let it warm up, and ran about 30 apps rapid-fire (including F@H to keep the CPU at 100%) and was able to get the CPU into the low-50's.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Just for fun, I decided to run tons of apps and see how high the temp would reach, not that it would be any different than last night, but I wanted to get a screenshot of it for anyone who may be interested.

Also for anyone interested, the apps are as follows (in order of appearance in the Dock):

Finder, Dashboard, Firefox, Adium, iTunes, System Preferences, Temperature Monitor, Address Book, AppleScript, Audacity, Automator, BitTorrent, Calculator, Chess, coconutBattery, Crypt, Dictionary, DropJPG, DVD Player, Azureus, F@H, Terminal, Fire, Font Book, GarageBand, iCal, iChat, iDVD, Image Capture, Image Tricks, iMovie HD, Internet Connect, iPhoto, Loan Table, Mail, Word, Mortgage X, QuickTime Pro, Preview, Rapidweaver, Safari, Sherlock, Stickies, Text Edit, TinkerTool, VLC, and Windows Media Player.

Almost 50 apps running (47 in the Dock by my count) and the Processor Bottomside reading is just above 48ºC. Also, this is a reading after the temperature stopped rising and leveled out, NOT a reading while it was still warming up.

EDIT: If you're wondering how much RAM is required for the system to still operate smoothly with this many apps open, 1.5GB seems to do just fine. ;)

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
someguy said:
CPU idle's around 30-33ºC (as upposed to low-40's before). While running a few apps like FF, iTunes (playing), Adium, connected via AirPort, and of course Temperature Monitor, the CPU bounces between 35-36ºC. Last night, half an hour after the job was complete, I turned the 'book on, let it warm up, and ran about 30 apps rapid-fire (including F@H to keep the CPU at 100%) and was able to get the CPU into the low-50's.

Nice work!!!

That's pretty impressive!

Rich.

onthat

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
Do you believe it worth the possible tragedy of screwing up a dearly needed laptop? My Rev. B runs pretty hot with just iTunes playing. Would it be worth the money to have it professionally done?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
onthat said:
Do you believe it worth the possible tragedy of screwing up a dearly needed laptop? My Rev. B runs pretty hot with just iTunes playing. Would it be worth the money to have it professionally done?

If you read about what other guys have done, you have the same chance of a successful application than if you paid anyone. If you have any doubts, don't do it.

It's not worth it.

I'm sure it's not too bad once you follow these guys instructions. I'm not even considering attempting it on my G4 PowerBook. I still have 3 years accidental damage cover, and i'm afraid i'd void it.

I'm actually hoping my PowerBook packs in this time 2 years down the line because it'll be replaced by a Woodcrest MBP... :eek: ;)

Or whatever is out at the time...:D

Rich.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
fatsoforgotso said:
Nice work!!!

That's pretty impressive!

Rich.
Thanks!

onthat said:
If you don't feel confident you can do this yourself, then I do not recommend it. Whether or not it'd be worth it to take it to a professional just depends on if it's worth it to you or not. How big of an annoyance is the heat? Do you have the extra money to spend?

IMO, excess heat is unacceptable for the price I paid for this machine, and because I have little money and my warranty is no more, I figured I would take the risk and see what I could do. I'm glad I did, but I don't suggest anyone go forth with the procedure if they aren't comfortable with it.

Core Trio

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
New Jersey
fatsoforgotso said:
I dunno mind, my PowerBook can get pretty hot. I honestly thought it was part of the parcel, but sometimes it's too hot to touch.

1.67 G4, Before high res screen.

Rich.

I have the same model, however being that its still under warranty and it only gets super hot once in a while, i wont take the plunge and open her up.

When the MBP's were released I thought about selling this one off immedatly and getting one, now with all this heat business Im glad i stuck with my PB

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
someguy said:
EDIT: If you're wondering how much RAM is required for the system to still operate smoothly with this many apps open, 1.5GB seems to do just fine. ;)

Nice work. ;) Putting Scarface on top was an especially nice touch. I'm thinking about getting a plasma screen and mounting it on the ceiling above my bed, and playing that movie 24/7. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.