Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
The camera on the Moto X was pretty good to me, but still not as good as iPhone. It took decent pictures, though. I had an HTC One, Moto X, and Nexus 5 during a 6 month span where I tried Android. The HTC One and Nexus 5 took terrible pictures, and had issues where I wasn't satisfied. The Moto X had me the most satisfied, and I still went back to iPhone. We've all been there. Android devices are getting really attractive lately. If you are happy with what you have though, I say stick with it. iPhone 6 will be out soon enough.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Nexus 5 would be a good stock experience 5" screen, the Oneplus One is a new phone that hopefully would be released soon that's a 5.5" and 300-350

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
i have been an android hater ever since i knew what an iPhone was. I'm perfectly happy with my jailbroken iPhone 5, and i am waiting for the iPhone 6 to come out and i will promptly upgrade. however, android seems less like the bad guy lately. at least the google version anyways. i will always hate samsung. so I'm looking to try an android phone without contract on verizon fairly cheaply. but i do not want garbage. i was looking at the moto x, and i like the size, and the specs are similar to my iPhone 5. are there any other android phones i should look at before getting a moto x? i would prefer a stock android phone. thanks.

I can see this is serious stuff to you - to me, it's just a phone, so maybe my advice won't be ideal.

I've got a Nexus 5 and I reckon it's a great phone. It was £200. If you're able to upgrade your iPhone without a thought, maybe you could afford £200/$200 on the Nexus 5? That way you could just give it a go.

It's stock Android and, in my opinion, a really great phone. If you don't like it, sell it. At least then you'll know whether Android is for you.

I wouldn't say I 'hate' Samsung, but having had a few iPhones, a couple of Samsungs and now the Nexus, I would say that I found Samsung's messing around with Android made it quite terrible. Strip that out and use it raw (ie. a Nexus phone), and it's a great mobile OS.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, since your on Verizon it really limits your stock android options, and even more so if a great camera is a must. The Moto X would be the closest to stock android you can get on Verizon, and is fairly cheap right now, but the camera isn't that good, it's ok but the iPhone's much better.

After that, the HTC One is a great phone, and Sense 6 is very comprable to stock, but again the camera isn't as good as the iPhone's though it is much better than the Moto X'es.

Those are really your only choices on Verizon if your looking for something close to stock. You could always root and flash a stock Rom if you want , though I have never done that so I can't tell you how simple or complicated that is.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
well, what phone should i get, and is android really bad or something that i would be burning my money?

Android is great

I was apple mad before my note. Now I will never go back.

Obviously it depends on your needs as Apple are great too in their own way but love making my phone the way I want it

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd recommend stock android, as you avoid the bloat where and you get the OS straight from google, no waiting for the manufacture to release an update.

Also look for a phone that is fairly easy to root, if you JB'd your iPhone that might be an option you wish to explore now or in the future.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I think one of the above posters had it right - give it a try and see what you think.

I had the iP3 and 4 and decided to give Android a try as I too wanted a bit more freedom and wanted to try out the customisation aspect of things a go.

In the two years I've had a S3, N4 and am now with a N5.

All have served me well and am better off for having had the Android experience but come August/September I shall be getting the iPhone 6.

Purely for the fact that I don't actually customise my phone at all and find that with already having an iPad Air, iOS will do the things that I want a bit simpler and that for me is what it's all about now.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
i have been an android hater ever since i knew what an iPhone was. I'm perfectly happy with my jailbroken iPhone 5, and i am waiting for the iPhone 6 to come out and i will promptly upgrade. however, android seems less like the bad guy lately. at least the google version anyways.

This is the perfect description of a fan boy. Any comment I make about your presumption of android being the 'bad guy' will come off as pejorative and condescending.... so lets just agree that Apple has done a very good job brainwashing you.

i will always hate samsung. so I'm looking to try an android phone without contract on verizon fairly cheaply. but i do not want garbage. i was looking at the moto x, and i like the size, and the specs are similar to my iPhone 5. are there any other android phones i should look at before getting a moto x? i would prefer a stock android phone. thanks.

This is a really basic question. Anyone who is a tech enthusiast has heard of Google's Nexus line of phones and tablets, and most people who have spent time browsing Google Play for devices is aware of the G.P.E. (Google Play Edition) carrier phones available for purchase.

Having said all that, I do not think that Android is a good fit for you. Anyone (especially teenager that thinks they know everything) who has spent a lot of time with a closed mind is going to have a difficult ordeal getting used to alternative design philosophies and ways of doing things.

For example: You are (admittedly) used to and happy with Apple telling you (more or less) what kind of device to own and exactly how that device should interface with the rest of the world. Accordingly, instead of doing your own research and figuring out which Android phones will offer you the best stock experience you have come onto this forum asking other people to tell you what to do.

There is nothing wrong with soliciting advice, but most people don't preamble their request in the way you have... e.g. "I am a cat person who has spent my life hating dogs... someone tell me which breed of dog I should adopt, but no chihuahuas!"

You're just setting yourself up for failure.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
is the nexus camera at least decent?

I just picked up a Nexus 5 on Friday. The camera seems to be the biggest complaint about the device with most reviews but I have yet to see a big difference. It's definitely slower but the image quality isn't far off from my 5S.

With that said, I don't think the Nexus 5 is available for Verizon.

The only thing you lose out on with trying it out is potentially losing some money from depreciation when you resell the phone. Aside from that it can be fun to check out different systems.

Do try to keep an open mind though.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Try the LG G2 its cheapish and has a fantastic camera. Don't tell anyone but its better than the iphone 5s camera (yes I have a 5s too). Great screen but be prepared for BIGGER much bigger than the iPhone. I really like the animated weather on the lockscreen. It also has great battery life probably the best I've had on Android. I paid $400 for it from T-Mobile.

bearwrestler

macrumors regular
May 19, 2014
It's never a bad idea to try the competition. These companies what you to remain loyal to them, and I say it is never a good idea to any company exactly what they want. Make them work for your loyalty. Apple is getting way too passive.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Moto G and have some fun with it regardless. Cheapest best option available.

This would be my secondary recommendation since the Nexus 5 is not available for Verizon. The Moto G is cheap and works very well. You can "easily" flash stock Android to it.

Sometimes wish I had kept mine....

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You may as well stick to your iPhone. Don't even waste your money on an Android device because all you will do is see the negatives about it and say, oh my iPhone does this or that so much better. Switching platforms isn't for everyone. You're 15, your friends won't think you are cool with an Android device. :)

- Sent from my Note 3

LOL, which is funny that any phone would have that effect. Android IMO is better but your right. A self proclaimed fanboy wont find anything possitive and id bet he wont try it long enough or leave his iPhone alone to see what it can do judging from his statements already. That LG G2 comment confirmed that.

Last edited:

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
The more I use the Moto X, the more I want to make it my main driver (versus my 5C which is my current main phone). I'm finding myself reaching for it more to accomplish the same daily tasks. And I don't think it's just because of the bigger screen. I'm starting to feel like things are a bit more streamlined with Android. Things feel a little easier to do, a little more direct, requiring a little less steps. Like drumming up an email or a text just somehow feels faster on Android.

I'm beginning to feel like a lot more "leg work" so to speak is required to do the same things on my 5C. Don't know if it's just my imagination or not.

If Motorola can bring the camera up to par with the next Moto X iteration, it'll might seriously consider ditching the 5C. Currently, my Moto X is plain black front/back (work phone) but if I could customize my personal Moto X's colors, that'd be really fun too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.