Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
They were looking into force press buttons a while back so I would imagine a ‘solid state’ version is not too far off.

The spot on the crown is a 'touch button' for the ECG function. They *could* do that with all of the buttons, but I imagine it would drive people insane. I had a bike computer with a rather sensitive touch screen, and in perfect conditions, it worked really quite well. Mix sweat, rain, spit, mud, blazing sunshine into it and it all went sideways. Selecting functions, pausing rides, or just being totally unreachable. Most frustrating thing I had ever used. I ended up getting a 'screen protector' that also 'numbed out the touch screen', and it worked far better. The next version went back to actual buttons. Too funny. They also sold a 'sports watch', which in that day was a 'running watch', and they made the aluminum bezel ring touch sensitive. Most useless piece of sports tech I ever owned. It was a gift, and I was tempted to give it back. Touch screens, and 'magic buttons' don't tend to play well in the real world. The ECG thing works because it's pretty protected. Maybe touch buttons would work well as the side is rather protected. And the current AW touch screen seems to work very well. Please don't try to 'improve it', Apple...

Reactions: Monkswhiskers

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
They were looking into force press buttons a while back so I would imagine a ‘solid state’ version is not too far
The spot on the crown is a 'touch button' for the ECG function. They *could* do that with all of the buttons, but I imagine it would drive people insane. I had a bike computer with a rather sensitive touch screen, and in perfect conditions, it worked really quite well. Mix sweat, rain, spit, mud, blazing sunshine into it and it all went sideways. Selecting functions, pausing rides, or just being totally unreachable. Most frustrating thing I had ever used. I ended up getting a 'screen protector' that also 'numbed out the touch screen', and it worked far better. The next version went back to actual buttons. Too funny. They also sold a 'sports watch', which in that day was a 'running watch', and they made the aluminum bezel ring touch sensitive. Most useless piece of sports tech I ever owned. It was a gift, and I was tempted to give it back. Touch screens, and 'magic buttons' don't tend to play well in the real world. The ECG thing works because it's pretty protected. Maybe touch buttons would work well as the side is rather protected. And the current AW touch screen seems to work very well. Please don't try to 'improve it', Apple...
Tha Garmin Forerunner with the touch bezel? I remember that one, dreadful idea!

• Love
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Confused about this thread and what happened recently… You sent it and they sent it back fixed or No? And you had/have Apple care or no?

I worry about swimming with the watch myself, I don’t do it all the time but semi-regularly, it’s enjoyable to have the exercise tracked and be able to gauge my laps, time, etc.. however I often worry when doing so what happens if it gets fried somehow…

Reactions: jz0309

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
But there are limits to the number of times someone can declare 'accidental damage', and apparently since the careless spawn had done the same thing before, they said 'Nope, this isn't happening. Thanks for stopping by though'. I did think that rather than being angry, the mom was enjoying that. The spawn was all teary and near meltdown, but was unable to get the upper hand. Possibly finally being held accountable? I guess I'd enjoy that too, but the number of parents who are afraid to confront their spawn is disturbing.

But the old AW will go back today. I have yet to shower with the new one, and wondering if I should take it off when exercising when I get way beyond 'glistening'. Maybe Apple should be injecting the finished watches with resin making the whole thing a monument to 'closed box' engineering. It's not like they are all that repairable to begin with. At least resin would insure waterproofing?
If you haven't used Applecare+ to claim accidental damage more than twice before they will replace the watch for the replacement fee which should be $49. Even if you took the watch and threw it at a wall they would replace it. It's hard to tell if damage is accidental or deliberate

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Confused about this thread and what happened recently… You sent it and they sent it back fixed or No? And you had/have Apple care or no?

I worry about swimming with the watch myself, I don’t do it all the time but semi-regularly, it’s enjoyable to have the exercise tracked and be able to gauge my laps, time, etc.. however I often worry when doing so what happens if it gets fried somehow…

Sorry, it's been an 'odd' locally.

Apple Care: Yes.
Replaced: In motion.
Advanced Exchange: Oh yes.

Was there a stand-in: Yes. An AW4. It filled in nicely.

Swimming with an AW: Well, I really would strongly recommend against it, unless it's an Ultra. Well, even WITH an Ultra. Chlorine is a nasty thing that tends to be rough on gaskets and o-rings. But if Apple say 'just to it', then do it.

If it floods: it will either freak out, or die. (Well, or short out, overheat, and cause magic smoke to be emitted, and a potential burn mark. (Although I personally have not heard about anyone experiencing that))

I showered with mine because I sweat a lot exercising. I just did my normal exercise routine with the replacement watch yesterday with my 'Braided Solo Band', and the Band was soaked, but I elected to not shower with the new AW. I then switched to an old 'Nike Sport Band' I had saved from an earlier AW. At least the Sport Band doesn't absorb the perspiration anywhere close to the 'Braided Solo Band'.

So, for those that sweat a lot: I would recommend a 'no' to the 'Braided Solo Band', and a solid yes to the 'liquid' silicone bands, with the 'Nike Sport Band' being the 'coolest' because it passes sweat through the holes. And not to shower with the AW, and especially use soap or body wash if you do.

I haven't heard what Apple will do with the watch I returned, but I hope it wasn't because of water damage. I have no outward indication it was water damage, but I'll wait and see what they say. However exposing it to water basically daily, in retrospect, does not sound like a stellar idea. I showered with it primarily because of the 'Braided Solo Band', which I really love, but...

• Sad
Reactions: ndouglas

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Sorry, it's been an 'odd' locally.

Apple Care: Yes.
Replaced: In motion.
Advanced Exchange: Oh yes.

Was there a stand-in: Yes. An AW4. It filled in nicely.

Swimming with an AW: Well, I really would strongly recommend against it, unless it's an Ultra. Well, even WITH an Ultra. Chlorine is a nasty thing that tends to be rough on gaskets and o-rings. But if Apple say 'just to it', then do it.

If it floods: it will either freak out, or die. (Well, or short out, overheat, and cause magic smoke to be emitted, and a potential burn mark. (Although I personally have not heard about anyone experiencing that))

I showered with mine because I sweat a lot exercising. I just did my normal exercise routine with the replacement watch yesterday with my 'Braided Solo Band', and the Band was soaked, but I elected to not shower with the new AW. I then switched to an old 'Nike Sport Band' I had saved from an earlier AW. At least the Sport Band doesn't absorb the perspiration anywhere close to the 'Braided Solo Band'.

So, for those that sweat a lot: I would recommend a 'no' to the 'Braided Solo Band', and a solid yes to the 'liquid' silicone bands, with the 'Nike Sport Band' being the 'coolest' because it passes sweat through the holes. And not to shower with the AW, and especially use soap or body wash if you do.

I haven't heard what Apple will do with the watch I returned, but I hope it wasn't because of water damage. I have no outward indication it was water damage, but I'll wait and see what they say. However exposing it to water basically daily, in retrospect, does not sound like a stellar idea. I showered with it primarily because of the 'Braided Solo Band', which I really love, but...
It is possible that excessive sweat might have been a factor here, it’s pretty corrosive stuff. I sweat a lot too but live in a relatively cool country (UK), if I lived in Spain or California and went running a lot I would just be constantly soaked.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The sweat won’t be a problem as long as you clean it. I sweat a lot but workout with a Nike band and then shower with it on afterwards. After the shower I then give it a rinse with water.

Once a week or so I give it a clean with an alcohol wipe.

No issues.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The sweat won’t be a problem as long as you clean it. I sweat a lot but workout with a Nike band and then shower with it on afterwards. After the shower I then give it a rinse with water.

Once a week or so I give it a clean with an alcohol wipe.

No issues.

After my experience, I'd add 'Yet'. I have 2 years until AppleCare+ ends. That's a lot of time for it to fail a few more times. But nothing lasts forever. I should be less negative about it failing, but it is an expensive thing on my wrist. I wonder how Purell effects it. Probably ☠️💀 (Not saying that it was exposed, but I've been using it a whole lot over the time I've had it, and alcohol wipes? That can't be good either😯🤷🏻‍♂️)

Was just in a salt water environment, but was extra careful to keep it out of that water. Oh yeah. Salt water is sweat on steroids. Pool water is probably worse. Chlorine is extra nasty for some rubber and plastic compounds.

Reactions: ndouglas

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Thanks for the details and updates, sorry to hear about that experience. Sounds quite frustrating but at least you have an AW4 for the meantime. I have the AW7 and it’s my first time having one, trying to make it last at least a few years. It’s also my first time using Apple Care monthly ($4 /month I think) vs. buying it up-front for 2 years... not sure but perhaps the monthly fee keeps the coverage past 2 years as long as I keep paying it? Anyway, I hope you get the replacement soon!

Oh and I definitely agree, about using the silicone type material bands for showering or anything with water. All my bands so far are that material. The woven ones are appealing but I have enough bands for now. I don’t shower with it more than 1-2 times total, it feels odd to me to do so.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If swapping bands was easier (I know that sounds silly, but I dropped an AW once when it was suddenly freed from the last end of a band, and I was so grateful I did it over my bed)

Apple says that the water resistance fades over time, so who knows what effects that feature, but sweat, soap, hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, (salt) water, pool water, cologne, etc, will likely have the effect of accelerating that. I just feel that using the braided loop band was counter productive as it was a sweat magnet and made me feel I HAD to shower with the AW just to 'clean' it and the band, especially the band. I love the braided band I have. I guess I should just buy another watch? (I don't make $50 million a year so I'll try to restrain myself for the moment)

Is there something wrong with the Apple Watch? No, I guess there is something wrong with me to wear such a watch band when I am sweating during a workout. It's not like anyone noticed that band, ever. I just didn't want it to reek of locker room stench.

Mark this resolved.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But the old AW will go back today. I have yet to shower with the new one, and wondering if I should take it off when exercising when I get way beyond 'glistening'. Maybe Apple should be injecting the finished watches with resin making the whole thing a monument to 'closed box' engineering. It's not like they are all that repairable to begin with. At least resin would insure waterproofing?
I use a case like this:

Doesn't help with waterproofing, but it makes me feel like I have better protection from being damaged by falling or hitting walls.

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
I use a case like this:

Doesn't help with waterproofing, but it makes me feel like I have better protection from being damaged by falling or hitting walls.

Sure you could use a case… but then the AW looks plain ugly and I would rather wear none than one in a protective case 😑

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sure you could use a case… but then the AW looks plain ugly and I would rather wear none than one in a protective case 😑
Well, whether a case makes the watch look ugly is a matter of subjective taste, of course. The case I have is very minimal, and I think it barely alters the watch's appearance. Oh, I forgot, I have an aluminum watch -- if you have a Stainless Steel watch, then I suppose a TPU case would change the appearance a lot.

Reactions: bricktop_at

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Pictures please! Yea love AC+
Just go about your business as before it’s just an object, enjoy!

'Just an object'? But it's the focus of my otherwise worthless life. :D:D:D

Yeah, the wife said 'It's just a babble, and isn't your life', but I have a need to complete my rings. I have a need to achieve that next goal. I have a need to get that food pellet and recognition that no one will ever see. OMG! My life is an endless moving escalator to nowhere. But I need to get that ring closed.

Yeah, I get it. I was sitting holding my *dead* AW thinking that my life was over, but it's all just a first world problem. I bought into the Nike FuelBand, and worked hard to get the goal for the day, and I transferred that focus to the Apple rings when the Apple Watch came out. It's hard to see myself as more than what I do, and I try to keep moving. I joke about it being my life, but I do check my progress during the day and try to keep it moving, sometimes still doing more even after getting it for the day.

Dedicated or crazy. I'm just glad to be back in the grind. I have only one day off this month as I try to get my latest goal. The AW dying cost me my longest move award (of over one year). I am a professional lab rat, and getting that endorphin pop is important.

The Apple Watch is a tool that can help people modify their life, can help them be better, feel better, act better, or not. It is what you use it for. I did miss it. Crazy, or dedicated.

Reactions: Night Spring

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
HaHa me too if I’m honest!
Truth be told it’s my fave bit of mac tech by far and I obsess about what features will come in 1,2,3,4yrs time.

In terms of using in the water, you could maybe pick up a cheap 5 used so you don’t need to worry about ruining your main one.

The wife has a 4 that she loaned me. Says now that it's 'ruined', and appears to only want to work for me.

I'm being framed!! I didn't do it!! Honest!! (It was backed up before I wiped it, and restored from that backup, so it's essentially the same watch as before. *shrug*)

I did look for an old ceramic edition, but the prices were 'high'. I do have some other 'dive' watches, so maybe get them out and see if their batteries need to be replaced (for a handsome price:oops:).

Sinfonist

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I have an S4 from 2019. I've showered with it, been swimming in the sea with it, been mountain biking with it, worn it in rain deluges (this is Scotland), taken it on hills, washed my hands regularly while wearing it, and generally not protected it from water. Mine is fine after 3.5 years! If you're having problems, it would be faulty seals, I imagine!

I did use a clear watch case for a while to protect the screen, but that tended to trap moisture and reduce touch sensitivity, so I stopped using it and will just replace the watch when it's too scratched. I don't think it would have helped protect against water getting in.

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I have a “dumb “ question for all you who shower with their Apple Watch. Why not just put it on the charger while you shower. It will need to be charged sometime during the day. This assumes you use it for sleep tracking at night.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I have a “dumb “ question for all you who shower with their Apple Watch. Why not just put it on the charger while you shower. It will need to be charged sometime during the day. This assumes you use it for sleep tracking at night.

I shower with mine after I work out. I have a fabric strap and it’s generally sweaty after exercise, so I figure that’s a good way to keep it (somewhat) clean.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Some of us wash sweat off after working out, some of us have more than 1 watch, some of us don’t use sleep track and charge over night… amazing how many ways there are we can use the watch…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.