Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hey all,

So just after some advice here really. So I have an iPhone 12 Pro which is what I use surf the net, YouTube, Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video etc.

I have for a long time thought of getting a bigger device but something that’s not too big for my media consumption.

The iPad mini seems perfect for me. However I am wondering if I will notice a deterioration of quality of watching things on the iPad mini compared my iPhone 12 pro.

Also is this a good time to buy the iPad mini?

Thanks in advance,

Miyagi

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
As to the deterioration of quality, not that I can see (I have the 12 Pro Max, 5G Mini 6, and 2021 12.9). I doubt there will be any price reductions in in the near future so now is as good a time as any to buy one.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I have seen it at the Apple. Think I am going to go for it now. Just going to see if I can get a good price for it. :)

Reactions: Barsal

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
The iPhone 12Pro has an OLED HDR display, the Mini 6 has a regular LCD display. Not so good for deep blacks in movies: this may or may not be important to you.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Is a refurb iPad Pro 11" 2018 too big? They are significantly cheaper than the iPad mini 6 and perfectly capable for media consumption - the pro-motion display should be nice - might be too big though.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Is a refurb iPad Pro 11" 2018 too big? They are significantly cheaper than the iPad mini 6 and perfectly capable for media consumption - the pro-motion display should be nice - might be too big though.
Literally not cheaper on the Apple refurbished store and I would not buy them anywhere else

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Literally not cheaper on the Apple refurbished store and I would not buy them anywhere else
Fair enough. Prices are the same.

£479 for a 64Gb iPad mini in UK Apple Store. Same price for the 64Gb 2018 iPad Pro. If it's 256Gb you want it's £619 for the Mini and £559 for the 2018 though.

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
I never thought of that. Is this on the Apple refurb store?

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Guys what about this jelly scrolling issue I hear about. Is it noticeable. As I am one of those people that once I find out about an issue I tend to go look for it now and that will bug me.

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
Guys what about this jelly scrolling issue I hear about. Is it noticeable. As I am one of those people that once I find out about an issue I tend to go look for it now and that will bug me.
I think we cannot help you regarding this, as for some people it is noticeable and some people it isn't. What I did was tested at a store and check if I mind it or not. I don't, and very happy with my mini ?

Reactions: LibbyLA and sparksd

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I never thought of that. Is this on the Apple refurb store?
Yes, have a look now - the UK store has a few on. Refurb 64Gb is equal in price with the iPad mini 6. The 256Gb model is cheaper than the same capacity mini 6.

The big addition for the Pro is the pro-motion display of course. It doesn't look like you do anything much more than media consumption so the refurb pro is probably a better bet than the Air 4 which is currently overdue a refresh.

To balance things out a bit, the Mini is compact for sure, and has a more modern CPU but for media consumption I really like my iPad Pro.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
You will have to see this for yourself - some notice it, some don't, and even some that notice it does not bother them. Me personally, I noticed it immediately and it bothered me so much that I did not purchase the mini iPad.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
If the jelly scrolling thing bothers you in-person, grab a lightly-used Mini 5. It’s just about the same experience and half the cost to you. Speed difference between a Mini 5 and a 12-series iPhone is negligible.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I tried the mini in store. I couldn’t really see the jelly scrolling but the lack of ProMotion was impossible to unsee. I went for the 11” Pro instead.

Reactions: vddobrev

chrismu

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2021
I tried the mini in store. I couldn’t really see the jelly scrolling but the lack of ProMotion was impossible to unsee. I went for the 11” Pro instead.
Agree! For the price you pay, especially, if 64GB is not enough for you, the screen looks vastly inferior to the iPad Pro screens, and once you have experienced them, there is no going back.

Reactions: vddobrev
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.