Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
If the jelly scrolling thing bothers you in-person, grab a lightly-used Mini 5. It’s just about the same experience and half the cost to you. Speed difference between a Mini 5 and a 12-series iPhone is negligible.
The mini 5 has jelly scrolling in landscape, people didn’t make an issue of it for whatever reason though. It’s a game for me now; to see how slowly I can scroll my mini 5 and still see the jelly.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Agree! For the price you pay, especially, if 64GB is not enough for you, the screen looks vastly inferior to the iPad Pro screens, and once you have experienced them, there is no going back.

I have the 2021 12.9 and the Mini6 - I was able to go back and use it. Just different usage.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
TL/DR: It's a delightful device that works great for some use cases, but I wouldn't buy another one. At least not at full price.

So I never seriously looked at the iPad mini until a few months ago when I realized I could get one for free through my firm's "appreciation store." On a whim I ordered it as I currently have a 12.9" iPad Pro and thought it'd be nice to have a reading device. After using it for two months, I think the MacStories review sums up my thoughts nicely: delight. There's just something delightful about having such a small device with this design.

I primarily use for the follow:
  1. E-Book Reading (it's light enough to hold in one hand without fatigue unlike the 11" or 12.9" iPads)
  2. While in the floor with my rabbit (I do this anywhere from 0.5 to 2 hours a day and having a device bigger than my phone, but small enough to chase after him when needed is nice.)
  3. Video game - either reference material for a game I'm playing or for a handful of iOS games.
That said, it has two major issues in my eyes: (1) iPadOS is horribly optimize. The default font size is abysmally small (helped by iOS 15's per-app scaling) and has excessive wasted space as things are compressed together (like the Home Screen). (2) the display quality is noticeably worse than other iPads. This includes jelly scroll (very noticeable on my model, just doesn't bother me - but I've never noticed this on any other display I've ever used) and overall contrast and fluidity. These don't really bother me since the is a sideline device and not my main.

I really enjoy having it and will use it until it dies, but I wouldn't have paid full price for one. When it dies, I may just try to consolidate on an 11" iPad Pro before buying another, but the price for a new model is high for what I use it for.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
The mini 5 has jelly scrolling in landscape, people didn’t make an issue of it for whatever reason though. It’s a game for me now; to see how slowly I can scroll my mini 5 and still see the jelly.
I used my Mini 5 in landscape mode 99% of the time and never noticed jelly scrolling. I guess I’m lucky. I’m loving my Mini 6 and having touched the Mini 5 since I got the Mini 6. Just haven’t gotten around to resetting it and selling it to a friend.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Mini 6 is a fun fun device. If this thing was a phone then it would be totally perfect.

I got mine three weeks after the release date. Speakers are amazing for something this size. It has a high pixel density which makes the screen look really smooth to the eye. The device is fast and responsive and the A15 chip is clearly impressive.

The portability is a great feature

Yes it jelly scrolls, but it doesn’t matter to me. My Air 4 also jellyscrolls in landscape - that doesn’t matter to me either.

I use the Mini 6 for browsing, emailing, YouTube and music playback. I take it everywhere I go.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
You are absolutely correct. Personally, I almost never scroll in landscape mode, so it’s a non-factor. Website design is optimized for tall and skinny, so the non-jelly portrait mode of the Mini 5 is best for my use-case.

Reactions: vddobrev

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
If you're able to click through and see some of my past posts about the Mini 6, it might help in your decision.

I am 100% satisfied with the product. I wish I had the funds to buy everyone in my house one and ditch all the other tablets kicking around.

Every single dang time I pick the Mini 6 up, my brain goes "I love this thing".

No regerts.

chrismu

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2021
Mini 6 is a fun fun device. If this thing was a phone then it would be totally perfect.

I got mine three weeks after the release date. Speakers are amazing for something this size. It has a high pixel density which makes the screen look really smooth to the eye. The device is fast and responsive and the A15 chip is clearly impressive.

The portability is a great feature

Yes it jelly scrolls, but it doesn’t matter to me. My Air 4 also jellyscrolls in landscape - that doesn’t matter to me either.

I use the Mini 6 for browsing, emailing, YouTube and music playback. I take it everywhere I go.
This sums it up pretty well. For me, it lacks ProMotion, but the main reason I don't have one (returned it after one week) is because I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a device that is "just fun". It is awesome for reading, playing games, watching video, even FaceTime, but I have a big iPhone and I don't really feel the need to have the iPad mini. But if you want a device that does those things very well, it is the perfect device and you're going to love it!

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Thinking of getting one, too. I have many iPads, but none of them is state of the art and more or less useless. Therefore, I do not use them really (iPad mini 1st gen, iPad 2, iPad 3). Unsure if a new mini would change my iPhone usage at home, the new split screen with two apps at the same time is awesome.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
TL/DR: It's a delightful device that works great for some use cases, but I wouldn't buy another one. At least not at full price.

So I never seriously looked at the iPad mini until a few months ago when I realized I could get one for free through my firm's "appreciation store." On a whim I ordered it as I currently have a 12.9" iPad Pro and thought it'd be nice to have a reading device. After using it for two months, I think the MacStories review sums up my thoughts nicely: delight. There's just something delightful about having such a small device with this design.

I primarily use for the follow:
  1. E-Book Reading (it's light enough to hold in one hand without fatigue unlike the 11" or 12.9" iPads)
  2. While in the floor with my rabbit (I do this anywhere from 0.5 to 2 hours a day and having a device bigger than my phone, but small enough to chase after him when needed is nice.)
  3. Video game - either reference material for a game I'm playing or for a handful of iOS games.
That said, it has two major issues in my eyes: (1) iPadOS is horribly optimize. The default font size is abysmally small (helped by iOS 15's per-app scaling) and has excessive wasted space as things are compressed together (like the Home Screen). (2) the display quality is noticeably worse than other iPads. This includes jelly scroll (very noticeable on my model, just doesn't bother me - but I've never noticed this on any other display I've ever used) and overall contrast and fluidity. These don't really bother me since the is a sideline device and not my main.

I really enjoy having it and will use it until it dies, but I wouldn't have paid full price for one. When it dies, I may just try to consolidate on an 11" iPad Pro before buying another, but the price for a new model is high for what I use it for.
Rabbit cam videos? Jumping jack rabbits!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This sums it up pretty well. For me, it lacks ProMotion, but the main reason I don't have one (returned it after one week) is because I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a device that is "just fun". It is awesome for reading, playing games, watching video, even FaceTime, but I have a big iPhone and I don't really feel the need to have the iPad mini. But if you want a device that does those things very well, it is the perfect device and you're going to love it!

I think over 90% of my laptop use while in college was gaming, reading manga/manhwa, watching anime and web surfing. Over the years that usage hasn't really changed. Well, maybe recreational use has increased to 99% since all my employers thus far have supplied me with a PC for work.

Honestly, my personal computer purchases have been primarily for hobby/fun so I'm not bothered about the iPads being primarily for fun. I treat the iPads similar to vacation expenditures except they provide entertainment for years on end instead of just a week or two.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Guys what about this jelly scrolling issue I hear about. Is it noticeable. As I am one of those people that once I find out about an issue I tend to go look for it now and that will bug me.
Noticed it the first two days due the internet coverage, but then completely forgot about it…until now again. It’s a non issue for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.