Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
After a lot of struggle got all my WhatsApp messages transferred as well.
How did you manage to do this? I’ve always thought it’s impossible as WhatsApp on Android backs up to Google Drive and iOS to iCloud with no way to transfer the backup to the other.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
4. This is a big issue for me. I can never find an ideal podcast app on Android. Google's own app is junk. Some podcast apps that were great are old and still carry the holo UI from Android 3.0 era. I ended up using Podcast Republic, which is decent, but sometimes it has downloading issues. Your option seems better if you don't mind streaming your podcast. Apps like Spotify will do the trick.

I've I think I'm one of the few who actually like the Google Podcasts app. If only for its cross platform capabilities. Pretty good knowing I can listen in on the way to work then pick back up on my desktop.

That or Spotify would be my choices.

Reactions: sracer

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I've I think I'm one of the few who actually like the Google Podcasts app.
I also use it, though I stick to just my phone. With the recent addition of automatic caching of new episodes it's that much better.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I've I think I'm one of the few who actually like the Google Podcasts app. If only for its cross platform capabilities. Pretty good knowing I can listen in on the way to work then pick back up on my desktop.

That or Spotify would be my choices.
The Google Podcast app seems to be designed as a streaming app, like Spotify. Akin to you browsing your radio for something and listen to it on the spot. If that's what you're looking for, then it's fine.

In contrast, the idea of podcast for me is to pre-download new episodes from the specific channels I already set so the next time I'm on the go, the latest episodes are available with me offline without having to browse and stream them. Just like another member here, I tried Overcast on iOS side, and that's the perfect app imo (never fail to download new podcasts) . Alas it's iOS only.
[automerge]1587710562[/automerge]
I also use it, though I stick to just my phone. With the recent addition of automatic caching of new episodes it's that much better.
That's news to me. So it can download new episodes for offline playback now? Does it do that reliably in the background?

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
The Google Podcast app seems to be designed as a streaming app, like Spotify. Akin to you browsing your radio for something and listen to it on the spot. If that's what you're looking for, then it's fine.

In contrast, the idea of podcast for me is to pre-download new episodes from the specific channels I already set so the next time I'm on the go, the latest episodes are available with me offline without having to browse and stream them. Just like another member here, I tried Overcast on iOS side, and that's the perfect app imo (never fail to download new podcasts) . Alas it's iOS only.
[automerge]1587710562[/automerge]

That's news to me. So it can download new episodes for offline playback now? Does it do that reliably in the background?

I download the episodes I want to listen to on the way in to work before I leave.

There is an option to auto download now which was done when the iOS version was made available:

A1972C0B-709D-4809-BD84-0EF2B2856ECD.jpeg

3490AF73-7CD5-43D1-8AF1-605B26A8E501.jpeg

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
How did you manage to do this? I’ve always thought it’s impossible as WhatsApp on Android backs up to Google Drive and iOS to iCloud with no way to transfer the backup to the other.
Wazzup migration app. Its a paid app. I'd some hiccups along the way. But it worked.

Reactions: The_Interloper

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
1. Reading various anecdotes, seems like app developers need to update their apps to take advantage of the Pixel 4's new face unlock system. Not sure about the progress there, but I guess expect to be using passwords for some.

2. On Android, I just use the Gmail app and connect it to other services if needed. It's not a really great app tbh, but it works. It doesn't support push email on some services like iCloud, so that's a caveat. Other options include Outlook and Blue mail that I have used.

3. Due to the small batteries of the Pixel 4, don't expect much. You might need to opt for the XL version.

4. This is a big issue for me. I can never find an ideal podcast app on Android. Google's own app is junk. Some podcast apps that were great are old and still carry the holo UI from Android 3.0 era. I ended up using Podcast Republic, which is decent, but sometimes it has downloading issues. Your option seems better if you don't mind streaming your podcast. Apps like Spotify will do the trick.

Pixel camera is not "better" than the iPhone. It's just different. If you switched, you lose the wide angle lens, and one of the best video recording device.

If you really want to switch, consider Samsung. The Galaxy S20/S20+ are great phones, and they offer a much more complete experience than Google Pixel imo for similar premium pricing. If you're in the US, unfortunately the mid-range offerings are not too exciting compared to Asia.
[automerge]1587226093[/automerge]

Agree that phones from the last few years, even budget ones, have been quite sufficient for normal uses.

As for the Galaxy A series, I would avoid anything below the A50 as the models lower than that uses the old and slow eMMC storage. A50 and up uses the faster UFS2.1. I have used Android phones with eMMC storage before, and boy do they slow down pretty quickly, especially when you're in the middle of updating or downloading files.
Have you ever tried pocket casts before? I first used it on android and even when I switched back to iOS I purchased it again.

Reactions: koigirl

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
With Android you can dress it up with a new launcher - Nova Launcher is great.

Outlook for Android

I use Spotify (free version) for Podcasts (download or stream)

_

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Have you ever tried pocket casts before? I first used it on android and even when I switched back to iOS I purchased it again.

Interesting. I first used it on iOS, then later I purchased the web client... and when I moved to Android, I purchased it on that as well. I've been a Pocket Casts user ever since it was released. The UI is solid and I just been a fan of how well they introduced features.

And when they transition to IAP, those that were loyal as far as paid for their app on various platforms... was given a lifetime subscription. I've dabbled with a few podcast, but Pocket Casts takes the crown for me. Although, I wish Pocket Casts takes more time developing a better iPad app instead of just a blown up version of the iPhone app. I'm kind of a fan of how Apple Podcast and Overcast has developed a 2 column layup for the iPad.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Since the thread bubbled back to the top I figured I'd respond to this again now that I have some experience with the function. Yes, it seems to be downloading episodes reliably. I have two that I set to download and one that I download manually (as it's also a video on Youtube that I watch first sometimes.

Additionally, you can build a play list so if you're going out for a walk or a drive and don't want to have to fiddle with starting the next podcast you can just add a couple to the play list and start rolling.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Since the thread bubbled back to the top I figured I'd respond to this again now that I have some experience with the function. Yes, it seems to be downloading episodes reliably. I have two that I set to download and one that I download manually (as it's also a video on Youtube that I watch first sometimes.

Additionally, you can build a play list so if you're going out for a walk or a drive and don't want to have to fiddle with starting the next podcast you can just add a couple to the play list and start rolling.
Thanks for the update. Will give it a shot. :)

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Still looking for that elusive email app on android

I've work and 4 personal emails. iCloud,Gmail, exchange emails. For work I can only use outlook due to my company policy. But outlook doesn't let you have separate widgets to only show woke or personal emails (all 4 of them)

So far I've tried all - closest one to iOS mail app is spark mail. But they store the emails on their server which I don't want

Using blackberry hub and quite like it. Bitnits a subscription app. Otherwise i get ads

Tried everything else _ bluemail, aquamail and the whole lot.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

Other than the widgets - what, exactly, are you looking for in the way of features? Are you just looking for it to be a visual clone of the iOS mail app or are there specific features?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Other than the widgets - what, exactly, are you looking for in the way of features? Are you just looking for it to be a visual clone of the iOS mail app or are there specific features?
I only use Samsung android phones and when I do the stock Samsung email app is perfectly fine.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Something that looks visually pleasing

Main features i need - support of all emails including Gmail, iCloud and exchange. Push email for instant emails, folder sync, filter for flagged emails quickly and instant.search.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States

I've work and 4 personal emails. iCloud,Gmail, exchange emails. For work I can only use outlook due to my company policy. But outlook doesn't let you have separate widgets to only show woke or personal emails (all 4 of them)

So far I've tried all - closest one to iOS mail app is spark mail. But they store the emails on their server which I don't want

Using blackberry hub and quite like it. Bitnits a subscription app. Otherwise i get ads

Tried everything else _ bluemail, aquamail and the whole lot.
I use Outlook app on a Pixel. Have two GMail accounts registered on the phone. Have two separate Outlook widgets - one for each GMail account - when the widget is setup (dragged to the screen) you will have options on which email accounts to associate with that widget.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I use Outlook app on a Pixel. Have two GMail accounts registered on the phone. Have two separate Outlook widgets - one for each GMail account - when the widget is setup (dragged to the screen) you will have options on which email accounts to associate with that widget.
As i mentioned widget solution won't work for me. I've 4 personal emails and i don't want to create 4 widgets for them. One widget for work mail and another one for all 4 personal emails is what I need. Don't think outlook will do what I need
Anyone else figured out a way?

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
As long as the email accounts are registered on the phone - you can probably do that.
I can't. Outlook widget only lets you pick all accounts or one account per widget. No way to pick multiple accounts. Only all accounts

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I can't. Outlook widget only lets you pick all accounts or one account per widget. No way to pick multiple accounts. Only all accounts
I have yet to find an email app that can do exactly that (I could be wrong).

I have another idea. Since you have to use Outlook anyway for work, why not just let Outlook be the sole email work app, and use another email app for the rest of your personal email? It will solve the Widget issue as well, as you can keep one Outlook widget for your work, and the other email app widget for the rest of your personal emails. Just a thought. :)

Reactions: Steven-iphone

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I have yet to find an email app that can do exactly that (I could be wrong).

I have another idea. Since you have to use Outlook anyway for work, why not just let Outlook be the sole email work app, and use another email app for the rest of your personal email? It will solve the Widget issue as well, as you can keep one Outlook widget for your work, and the other email app widget for the rest of your personal emails. Just a thought. :)
That's why I started this thread. I couldn't find a suitable email app on android that works like iOS mail app. See some of my posts on this.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's why I started this thread. I couldn't find a suitable email app on android that works like iOS mail app. See some of my posts on this.

Can non-gmail accounts be used in the Gmail app? I don’t have my Pixel with me at the moment to check and I can’t remember if this was an option. Apologies if you already tried this—I’m admittedly not going back through the entire thread at this moment as I only have a few free minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.