Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Can non-gmail accounts be used in the Gmail app?
Yes. The Gmail app supports POP and IMAP email accounts as well as Exchange. The issue with a corporate email account is that they can restrict the clients that are allowed to connect to the server. In the case of my employer they DON'T allow the mobile Outlook client to connect.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Can non-gmail accounts be used in the Gmail app? I don’t have my Pixel with me at the moment to check and I can’t remember if this was an option. Apologies if you already tried this—I’m admittedly not going back through the entire thread at this moment as I only have a few free minutes.
Yes. I’ve added my Aol accounts to the gmail app in the past.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Can non-gmail accounts be used in the Gmail app? I don’t have my Pixel with me at the moment to check and I can’t remember if this was an option. Apologies if you already tried this—I’m admittedly not going back through the entire thread at this moment as I only have a few free minutes.
I can't use Gmail app even for gmails. I don't like the way it categorizes emails onto primary, social, shopping etc. I just want simple inbox where all mails show up in conversation mode

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Shanghaichica

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I don't like the way it categorizes emails onto primary, social, shopping etc.

In the Gmail app, go into the settings, then tap on the mail account to modify, tap inbox categories and then uncheck the ones you don't want. That will remove the categorization...

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
In the Gmail app, go into the settings, then tap on the mail account to modify, tap inbox categories and then uncheck the ones you don't want. That will remove the categorization...
Thanks. Gmail doesn't seem to push other emails such as exchange. Also for iCloud it only has IMAP. BlackBerry hub works fine for all accounts except that it's subscription based. I don't mind paying a one time fee for purchasing it. Not subscribing every month just to get emails

Any other option?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I can't use Gmail app even for gmails. I don't like the way it categorizes emails onto primary, social, shopping etc. I just want simple inbox where all mails show up in conversation mode

Any other suggestions?

Sorry, don’t have any other suggestions. Spark is my primary with Outlook as my second choice.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Thanks. Gmail doesn't seem to push other emails such as exchange. Also for iCloud it only has IMAP. BlackBerry hub works fine for all accounts except that it's subscription based. I don't mind paying a one time fee for purchasing it. Not subscribing every month just to get emails

Any other option?

I'm using BlueMail. I like it fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.