Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Using a Samsung s23 ultra for work and honestly it isn't TERRIBLE. I actually like the pphone hardware and the camera is actually halfway decent but android Os still to this day feels like an inferior knock off of Ios.
That is an original response from someone who hasn't used Android for very long.

I am glad it isn't terrible.

The smugness from iOS users is really amazing and they don't even seem to know how arrogant comments like the above sound while also being rather uneducated.

Have you tried Bixby call screening? Ever used s pen to sign documents? Ever used Dex or link to Windows where you can use Android apps on your PC? You can even mirror the phone screen. Ever tried to move your icons wherever you want on your home screen? Ever try to customize your AOD or theme the OS to your wallpaper? Those are just a few things you can't do with iOS or an iPhone.

But somehow with all the customization and extra features Android feels like a cheap copy of iOS. Lol.

I don't see it. I use iOS and Android on Samsung and Pixel and the UI is just as polished as iOS?

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
That is an original response from someone who hasn't used Android for very long.

I am glad it isn't terrible.

The smugness from iOS users is really amazing and they don't even seem to know how arrogant comments like the above sound while also being rather uneducated.

Have you tried Bixby call screening? Ever used s pen to sign documents? Ever used Dex or link to Windows where you can use Android apps on your PC? You can even mirror the phone screen. Ever tried to move your icons wherever you want on your home screen? Ever try to customize your AOD or theme the OS to your wallpaper? Those are just a few things you can't do with iOS or an iPhone.

But somehow with all the customization and extra features Android feels like a cheap copy of iOS. Lol.

I don't see it. I use iOS and Android on Samsung and Pixel and the UI is just as polished as iOS?
You assume the galaxy is my first rodeo with android. I've used Android and was an avid fan in the Droid days and into most of the many firsts with android. I remember owning obscure advices like the Xperia play, Kyocera echo(androids first dual screen phone), I owned almost every nexus device, i was there in the 3d cam phase, and at the time was more of an HTC fan....later found and loved and eventually grew depressed with windows phone before eventually using IOS as my main device with the X.

I have been following android still and the Os has always been powerful and feature rich but all the software has felt decent or half baked.

When I use ios Regardless of a 14 or even a lowly 8, the experience for the most part is 85 percent the same save loading times or hardware capabilities.

There's a reason why Galaxy devices still are looked down upon by many despite being comparable to IPHONE....I personally would never buy a galaxy. But I don't hate using it for work.

The os still just feels half baked. The camera, while excellent In ways, still falls short of iPhone.

Samsung and android suite of apps really doesn't compare much to ios.

Imessage 》Google message....not even just the fact it is Apple centric but Google messages has TOO MUCH going on and is confusing and Samsung has not enough going on.

I cloud 》 one drive 》 Google message

Apple music 》 whatever samsung has 》YouTube music.

Though I have been using Spotify a lot more.

Apple health 》 Samsung health

Apple pay 》 Samsung pay 》 Google wallet

Connection with my car with iPhone 》 android auto

Heck even the app store is more intuitive than play store. The amount of crap apps is so annoying.

The suite of Apple products as a whole from airpods to tags to tablet and hardware and the ease of use of being able to walk in and out of an Apple store are many reasons why I and millions of others prefer Apple.

My s23 ultra is a lovely device and I actually used it exclusively over the weekend when we went to Vegas. But yet again I found myself missing my iPhone 14.

Case in point about Apple pay. I use my phone everywhere. Two bars we went to for whatever reason ONLY accept Apple pay. Couldn't use Google wallet or Samsung. Thank God for once I had my debit card.

The only thing Google really does better is its search but then again i use Bing and YouTube. Oh and the customization abilities.

I have been using Niagara launcher which I like alot and it makes using android... bearable.

Yes for the most part I can replicate my android to look like an iPhone (I did at first) but the Os is always going to be inferior for me and millions of others which is why Apple still reigns Supreme for mainstream.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I don't have to plug my phone in to get an intergrated ecosystem.
I can use a native messaging application like imessage on 4 to 5 different devices and it is exactly the same. I can start a message on one device and pickup where i left off on another with history and context and attachements. Not a web version mind you but a native application that is on all of my devices...mobile phone, ipad, notebook and desktop.
Nice little example but sort of restricted to iMessage's :) Not sure why someone stops mid sms but I will go with your example :)

Where on W11 you can continue on any messaging app all at the same time LOL and most apps ie pause Youtube and continue on your laptop or a word puzzle etc etc, just so many options for those that want this and more

muti apps.jpg

The same functionality as Airdrop handoff is all available to Android/W11 users continuity on documents is the same with MS Office products

My Company laptop is old and a few times my battery has runout mid teams meeting, but I just pick up my Fold 4 and continue as Teams actually prompts the continuity

The days are long gone when Apple had some lead in this area but are largely eclipsed now, but as I said before Apple do tend to make it easier, but then it should be given its limited.

As for universal control Synergy app has been around for years allows the same but also across platform so you can control your Mac's and PC's with one KB/Mouse/Trackpad

Last edited:
Reactions: Technerd108

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Nice little example but sort of restricted to iMessage's :) Not sure why someone stops mid sms but I will go with your example :)

Where on W11 you can continue on any messaging app all at the same time LOL and most apps ie pause Youtube and continue on your laptop or a word puzzle etc etc, just so many options for those that want this and more

View attachment 2197192

The same functionality as Airdrop handoff is all available to Android/W11 users continuity on documents is the same with MS Office products

My Company laptop is old and a few times my battery has runout mid teams meeting, but I just pick up my Fold 4 and continue as Teams actually prompts the continuity

The days are long gone when Apple had some lead in this area but are largely eclipsed now, but as I said before Apple do tend to make it easier, but then it should be given its limited.

As for universal control Synergy app has been around for years allows the same but also across platform so you can control your Mac's and PC's with one KB/Mouse/Trackpad
Thisargument about apple being eclipsed by X manufacturer is so tired.

Apple has known to get features later than Android and nearly 20 years later, to Apple users it doesn't matter because when Apple gets the feature it is usually implemented better.

Like it always has.

Windows can do a lot but Apple does it easier and with less effort.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

Apple has known to get features later than Android and nearly 20 years later, to Apple users it doesn't matter because when Apple gets the feature it is usually implemented better.

Like it always has.

It is because Apple users are mostly ignorant about other platforms being so locked into Apples that they think a new feature is really new, not understanding the same functionality has existed on Android for years.

Apple doesn’t always implement things better either. Take the app drawer or widgets or AOD as just some examples. How about the ugly pill cutout but it has dynamic island…..

The argument that is tired is that it doesn’t matter Apple doesn’t have x feature or it comes much later because it is always better. Are OLED screens better on Apple than Samsung? Samsung was using OLED for years before Apple. Are you going to seriously argue that the app layout on pages is better on iOS?

Look I get so tired of all the Apple apologist justifying anything Apple does as better no matter what. Your arguments would be much more believable if you just occasionally looked at Apple with the same critical eye you do with Android. I have never said Android was better than iOS. I think there are some things that I like better in Android vs iOS but I could say the same thing flipped around. Both platforms have their unique strengths and weaknesses and neither is perfect.

But it is always the same comments. Apple does it better. Android is a toy, a bad copy of iOS and on and on. Why can’t any Apple fans admit that both platforms have reached parity in most ways, some things iOS does a little better and some things Android does better.

Right now I would say there are more advantages just due to AI on Android over iOS. Things like speech to text, call screening, Android assistant, photo unblur, etc.

But that doesn’t mean that iOS is a toy OS, etc.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I carry the 14PM and the S23U daily.

When it comes to the OS and Hardware as a standalone, I would choose the the S23U.

If I didn't have multiple MacBooks, iPads, Apple Watch Ultra, a pair of HomePods minis, multiple Airpods, and a Apple TV, then I would probably have both of my lines on the S23U and not use an iPhone at all.

The Apple ecosystem and most of Apple's accessories are great. Samsung's ecosystem is the best in the Android world, but it's not as fluid nor robust as Apple's ecosystem. I know, cause I'm deep into Samsung's ecosystem as well. I'm only missing a Samsung laptop.

Samsung's One UI vs Apple's iOS is basically equivalent to me. With pros and cons to both, which I'm not going to write a 10,000 word essay about. But the main thing is 90% of all my apps are cross platform and work just fine on both platforms. Apple has better large developer exclusive apps, and Android has better exclusive small developer apps.

The camera on the S23U takes better shots IMO. But the 14PM is still king in video recording. For me, Samsung does take the edge based on it's zoom capabilities. It's rumored that the upcoming 15PM will rival that.

Both sides copy features from each other and in turn each platform improves from one another.

In America (USA), Android's achilles heel is they don't have a default messenger service in place of sms, or default video call service like Apple's iMessage and FaceTime. Almost everywhere else, there's no real reason that the iPhone should be the better choice.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Like it always has.

What on earth are you talking about :rolleyes:

Apple for several years had some unique features in the ECO such as call answering and dialing across devices that eluded Windows/Android. We were simple demonstrating these features and ECO differences are largely caught up on and surpassed in some instances

As others have noted outside of personal preferences there is not much both OS's can't do and even on hardware there are few real differences eg Satellite SOS or SPen or Periscope zoom

Both are good systems for different reasons that are largely trivial for most well informed users

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
As others have said it is different. Samsung does have a air drop clone that works in the same way for all Samsung devices and PC's.

Can you use an s pen to use as a remote shutter on your phone camera or to navigate the UI? Can you write notes or draw? Can you sign documents on your iPhone in a pinch if needed? Can you screen spam calls like you can with Bixby? How is Siri vs Android Assistant in speech to text or other applications? Do you have 10x zoom?

There are a lot of advantages to Android and Samsung Galaxy devices over iOS and iPhone. Features that have existed on Android even on lower cost phones are still not on the iPhone 14 like 120hz display.

I like iPhone and iOS but the lack of AI optimization is going to be a bigger problem as time goes on. The availability of customization and hardware choices on Android is an advantage. Sure their might not be as much optimization but Samsung and Pixel phones are pretty well optimized for the hardware.

So in most cases there is feature parity on both platforms but Samsung and Pixel offer some features yet to be seen on iOS while the opposite is not true. Sure Apple might make things more seamless and easier to set up but you can get the same functionality with both.
but see know you are getting into which software set is better and drawing a line in the sand and making it about what platform is better.
Beleive me I am no Apple fan boy here. My reputation for fighting that type that of people that wander in the Alt section speaks for itself.

But I will stick to my statements that the Apple ecosystem is better overall and provides a better feature set and better overall user experience.

Then to be honest bringing up Google assiistant is useless...that functionality is present on Apple devices as well.

All of my examples were native applications that can be used across all Apple devices. This was about an Apple ecosystem and software feature sets that work nativley across all Apple devcies.
Are there individual things Android does better? yes there is! but that was not the what i said.

Then NOTHING was said about customization or hardware purchasing choices...that was NOT part of the discussion.

You are making this into something that it wasn't...stop doing that.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

View attachment 2197192

Now you are getting into 3rd party applications with WhatsApp. All of my examples were native application that are on all apple devcies. So now using the native messaging application on lets say a S23 Ultra..start a message with attachements....stop then continue on a windows laptop or tablet or desktop. You can't. Then Teams is a third party enterprise application and they charge a licensing fee. So you have to pay extra for it or have an Enterprise license through your employer. We use Teams at my work and it is amazing. The whole Office suite is amazing...and expensive for personal use. Then they are not native applications.. Not the same as all the examples I provided for Continuity. Those are native applications on all Apple devcies

So going back to my original premise... not individual third party or paid applications.
Apple still has the better overall ecosystem because they control the hadware and software end to end.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
but see know you are getting into which software set is better and drawing a line in the sand and making it about what platform is better.
Beleive me I am no Apple fan boy here. My reputation for fighting that type that of people that wander in the Alt section speaks for itself.

But I will stick to my statements that the Apple ecosystem is better overall and provides a better feature set and better overall user experience.

Then to be honest bringing up Google assiistant is useless...that functionality is present on Apple devices as well.

All of my examples were native applications that can be used across all Apple devices. This was about an Apple ecosystem and software feature sets that work nativley across all Apple devcies.
Are there individual things Android does better? yes there is! but that was not the what i said.

Then NOTHING was said about customization or hardware purchasing choices...that was NOT part of the discussion.

You are making this into something that it wasn't...stop doing that.
If you are saying that Apple ecosystem is better which you have and that is platform specific and locked then you are talking about platform. I am not making something that it wasn't. I am making comparisons that are platform specific.

Saying what user experience is better in what ecosystem that is platform specific is your opinion. A lot of people agree with you. In terms of ease of setup I completely agree. In terms of functionality I don't.

Bringing up Google Assistant is a very valid point since Siri is a joke on comparison. Again, both AI assistants are supposed to do the same things but in actual use Siri is useless. Speech to text on Siri is laughable. Ever try composing a text while driving using Siri? Every try to shut your phone down using Siri? Even basic web searches are frustrating. Using Google Assistant I can control my Pixel, launch applications, compose texts, emails, etc with extreme accuracy, I can essentially do everything I do with my fingers with my voice which I have not been able to replicate on any other platform including Windows or Mac.

Also in terms of ecosystem, Using a Samsung phone with a Samsung Tablet and a PC I can replicate all of the features that Apple has. Sharing files like airdrop, messages, calling, video calling, etc. Again Apple does make setup a lot easier but I can do everything on both platforms. I actually prefer how Apple devices work together but there are more options on Windows/Android. I can't mirror my phone or use iOS apps on my phone on my Mac like I can with my s23.

Again I am NOT arguing that Samsung/Android ecosystem is better than Apple or Apple ecosystem is better. I think these kind of arguments miss the point. Personally it is a lot of fun to use both and see how different software and companies and hardware all tackle a problem and their results.

I argue with people who tend to see things one sided. Because of x feature/s this platform or ecosystem is better. But it is never actually true. Better for who? What does better mean? Is it better in every way conceivable or in specific ways where each software has its advantages and weaknesses?

Stop trying to say something is better because it does something you like more. It is just more accurate to say they are almost the same but they accomplish the same tasks differently. I prefer x software for x reasons but they are both great. It really breaks down to personal preference at the end of the day not one being superior to the other.

The days of one software being clearly better than another are long gone. Apple and Google and Microsoft all borrow from each other and in the end all of their respective products get better.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If you are saying that Apple ecosystem is better which you have and that is platform specific and locked then you are talking about platform. I am not making something that it wasn't. I am making comparisons that are platform specific.

Saying what user experience is better in what ecosystem that is platform specific is your opinion. A lot of people agree with you. In terms of ease of setup I completely agree. In terms of functionality I don't.

Bringing up Google Assistant is a very valid point since Siri is a joke on comparison. Again, both AI assistants are supposed to do the same things but in actual use Siri is useless. Speech to text on Siri is laughable. Ever try composing a text while driving using Siri? Every try to shut your phone down using Siri? Even basic web searches are frustrating. Using Google Assistant I can control my Pixel, launch applications, compose texts, emails, etc with extreme accuracy, I can essentially do everything I do with my fingers with my voice which I have not been able to replicate on any other platform including Windows or Mac.

Also in terms of ecosystem, Using a Samsung phone with a Samsung Tablet and a PC I can replicate all of the features that Apple has. Sharing files like airdrop, messages, calling, video calling, etc. Again Apple does make setup a lot easier but I can do everything on both platforms. I actually prefer how Apple devices work together but there are more options on Windows/Android. I can't mirror my phone or use iOS apps on my phone on my Mac like I can with my s23.

Again I am NOT arguing that Samsung/Android ecosystem is better than Apple or Apple ecosystem is better. I think these kind of arguments miss the point. Personally it is a lot of fun to use both and see how different software and companies and hardware all tackle a problem and their results.

I argue with people who tend to see things one sided. Because of x feature/s this platform or ecosystem is better. But it is never actually true. Better for who? What does better mean? Is it better in every way conceivable or in specific ways where each software has its advantages and weaknesses?

Stop trying to say something is better because it does something you like more. It is just more accurate to say they are almost the same but they accomplish the same tasks differently. I prefer x software for x reasons but they are both great. It really breaks down to personal preference at the end of the day not one being superior to the other.

The days of one software being clearly better than another are long gone. Apple and Google and Microsoft all borrow from each other and in the end all of their respective products get better.
no...you are trying to make this into something it wasn't nice try...but I am not going to bite and get into these wars we have seen over and over again here.....
You can post indivdual features Android has that may be better than IOS and I would probably agree with you on most of those examples.

But i will stick to my original premise and statement just so you have a level set and clarity.
Feature set wise and intergration Apple has the best overall ecosystem from end to end. It provides a native application and hardware user experince that is not equaled by any ONE vendor in the Android space.
Then the phone and vendor we were originally discussing was Samsung's phones. While they are great phones mind you. Samsung does not have close to the native ecosystem Apple does. Google does not either.
Can you replicate a lot of it with 3rd party paid applications? sure but then that is not a native ecosytem.

Again so you are not so defensive....I AM NOT SAYING APPLE IS BETTER! I am not sure why you want to down so many rabbit holes. I never once mentioned anyone copying from anyone else...you brought that up. Not sure why to be honest though...again you are so defensive.

Stop saying something is not better because you may not use the features that make it better....
A race car is still faster than an economy car...even if you don't race it....its still faster.

Your example of Google Assistant (which is better than Siri in my book). I can get GA on any IOS devcie. You cannot get the Continuity applications on any Android devcie.

Then belive me I don't see things one sided at all. I use my Android phones almost as much as my iPhone.
But as far as the ecosytem...out of the box the Apple integration works across all my IOS devices with littel to no effort. No 3rd party apps needed https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
no...you are trying to make this into something it wasn't nice try...but I am not going to bite and get into these wars we have seen over and over again here.....
You can post indivdual features Android has that may be better than IOS and I would probably agree with you on most of those examples.

But i will stick to my original premise and statement just so you have a level set and clarity.
Feature set wise and intergration Apple has the best overall ecosystem from end to end. It provides a native application and hardware user experince that is not equaled by any ONE vendor in the Android space.
Then the phone and vendor we were originally discussing was Samsung's phones. While they are great phones mind you. Samsung does not have close to the native ecosystem Apple does. Google does not either.
Can you replicate a lot of it with 3rd party paid applications? sure but then that is not a native ecosytem.

Again so you are not so defensive....I AM NOT SAYING APPLE IS BETTER! I am not sure why you want to down so many rabbit holes. I never once mentioned anyone copying from anyone else...you brought that up. Not sure why to be honest though...again you are so defensive.

Stop saying something is not better because you may not use the features that make it better....
A race car is still faster than an economy car...even if you don't race it....its still faster.

Your example of Google Assistant (which is better than Siri in my book). I can get GA on any IOS devcie. You cannot get the Continuity applications on any Android devcie.

Then belive me I don't see things one sided at all. I use my Android phones almost as much as my iPhone.
But as far as the ecosytem...out of the box the Apple integration works across all my IOS devices with littel to no effort. No 3rd party apps needed https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

Maybe I am just ignorant which wouldn't be a stretch but I don't know what I need any 3rd party apps to replicate the Apple ecosystem.

I don't feel defensive at all. I am trying to explain myself and express where I am coming from. If it sounds defensive then I guess I am guilty but that was not my intention as I don't know what I am defending?

As far as out of the box ecosystem I stated many times already that Apple is easier to set up and just works out of the box. But my contention point was and still is with a little configuration on the Windows/Android side you can do more than what can with Apple which is true. I made a point that for people who just want something to work and don't care much how it works or feature sets and may not be as technically inclined the Apple ecosystem is obviously better for them.

You are kind of making my point, Google Assistant is free to use on any platform or device that can run it while Siri can only be used on Apple. Just like the entire Apple ecosystem and Apple apps included in that ecosystem. So if you say Apple ecosystem is better that is your opinion for your reasons. I can argue that point by saying that it is easier to set up out the box as you have said BUT once configured there are more things I can do with Android/Samsung and Windows as I have already mentioned. So I don't think your reasons make one ecosystem better objectively. I think it depends on what you do and how you use it. If I can configure my devices fine then ease of setup is a mute point but actual feature set is more important. The one feature Apple has natively over Android is FaceTime. Although I could argue Google Meet is pretty close but I am not sure if I could use it just on WiFi? So I give you FaceTime. But Google Meet works for me and is a native app and I have it on my tablet and phone and PC? Messages the same. I bet I can install meet on my iOS devices as well although I haven't tried.

In the end it is all opinion and personal preference but I personally don't like being locked into one platform. Since most of the Google ecosystem can be used even on Apple devices it means if I go outside of Google ecosystem that I am not locked in. Even if there was some functionality that I couldn't replicate in Apple ecosystem which there isn't I would rather use a platform or apps that are not dependent on that one platform. That way I have the freedom to use whatever I want whenever I want.

Again maybe I am ignorant but what 3rd party app do I need to use on Android to obtain the same functionality and feature set of Apple ecosystem? All of the apps I use are native and none of them I have bought in Google play yet I can do everything on my Android devices that I can with Apple. The only difference is the setup which I have repeatedly said is easier on Apple.

And again I am not saying that you are a fan boy of anything BUT you are saying that Apple ecosystem is better than Android which makes you prefer Apple since the Apple ecosystem is ONLY available on Apple products unlike Google which makes their apps cross platform. Again that doesn't make you a fan boy but it reveals a bias towards one companies way of doing things over another. Take that for what you will. I don't necessarily think you are wrong but I don't completely agree either as in my opinion I think it really boils down to the type of user you are.

Finally I will say that in terms of polish and ease of use and things working perfectly together without any configuration which is a HIGE value to a lot of people clearly Apple is much better than the alternatives. I just think for a lot of mildly technically inclined this difference is not a big deal and what is more important to them is the overall functionality and cross platform availability.

But this is all my opinion and I could be wrong and certainly have my own bias. No problem. But I think my points are justified by my argument on their own. Whether you agree with them or not is completely up to you and I respect your opinion even if you disagree.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Maybe I am just ignorant which wouldn't be a stretch but I don't know what I need any 3rd party apps to replicate the Apple ecosystem.

I don't feel defensive at all. I am trying to explain myself and express where I am coming from. If it sounds defensive then I guess I am guilty but that was not my intention as I don't know what I am defending?

As far as out of the box ecosystem I stated many times already that Apple is easier to set up and just works out of the box. But my contention point was and still is with a little configuration on the Windows/Android side you can do more than what can with Apple which is true. I made a point that for people who just want something to work and don't care much how it works or feature sets and may not be as technically inclined the Apple ecosystem is obviously better for them.

You are kind of making my point, Google Assistant is free to use on any platform or device that can run it while Siri can only be used on Apple. Just like the entire Apple ecosystem and Apple apps included in that ecosystem. So if you say Apple ecosystem is better that is your opinion for your reasons. I can argue that point by saying that it is easier to set up out the box as you have said BUT once configured there are more things I can do with Android/Samsung and Windows as I have already mentioned. So I don't think your reasons make one ecosystem better objectively. I think it depends on what you do and how you use it. If I can configure my devices fine then ease of setup is a mute point but actual feature set is more important. The one feature Apple has natively over Android is FaceTime. Although I could argue Google Meet is pretty close but I am not sure if I could use it just on WiFi? So I give you FaceTime. But Google Meet works for me and is a native app and I have it on my tablet and phone and PC? Messages the same. I bet I can install meet on my iOS devices as well although I haven't tried.

In the end it is all opinion and personal preference but I personally don't like being locked into one platform. Since most of the Google ecosystem can be used even on Apple devices it means if I go outside of Google ecosystem that I am not locked in. Even if there was some functionality that I couldn't replicate in Apple ecosystem which there isn't I would rather use a platform or apps that are not dependent on that one platform. That way I have the freedom to use whatever I want whenever I want.

Again maybe I am ignorant but what 3rd party app do I need to use on Android to obtain the same functionality and feature set of Apple ecosystem? All of the apps I use are native and none of them I have bought in Google play yet I can do everything on my Android devices that I can with Apple. The only difference is the setup which I have repeatedly said is easier on Apple.

And again I am not saying that you are a fan boy of anything BUT you are saying that Apple ecosystem is better than Android which makes you prefer Apple since the Apple ecosystem is ONLY available on Apple products unlike Google which makes their apps cross platform. Again that doesn't make you a fan boy but it reveals a bias towards one companies way of doing things over another. Take that for what you will. I don't necessarily think you are wrong but I don't completely agree either as in my opinion I think it really boils down to the type of user you are.

Finally I will say that in terms of polish and ease of use and things working perfectly together without any configuration which is a HIGE value to a lot of people clearly Apple is much better than the alternatives.

But this is all my opinion and I could be wrong and certainly have my own bias. No problem. But I think my points are justified by my argument on their own. Whether you agree with them or not is completely up to you and I respect your opinion even if you disagree.
again....you missed the whole point and are being passive agressive...fine.
Then saying people who use technology that just works out of the box are somehow ae not "as technically inclined " is insulting. That is you being passive agressive. You whole repllies have been passive agressive to say the least.

Then you make all kinds of assumptions to help you make you point that are not correct. I don't use the Apple ecosystem...there how is that? I have friends who demeonstrated Continuity.
And again I am not saying that you are a fan boy of anything BUT you are saying that Apple ecosystem is better than Android which makes you prefer Apple since the Apple ecosystem is ONLY available on Apple products unlike Google which makes their apps cross platform.

Here it is again....passive agressive insults.....People who use Apple products are somehow not as technical as what?
I just think for a lot of mildly technically inclined this difference is not a big deal and what is more important to them is the overall functionality and cross platform availability.
Then you haven't demonstarted anything to support your position. All you have done is level insults at people who use a differnt platform that you. Then we are NOT talking about cross platform availabilty now are we? We are talking about separate ecosystems.

I stand by my statement. The Apple ecosystem provides a better overall integrated native apps user experince. Since they control the software and hardware end to end. Then everyting works out of the box without having to install of other application or PAID applications to get the same functionality and user experince.

Part of a great user experince is ease of use...doesn't mean one can't tweak or change something. It means products should be setup so one DOES NOT HAVE TO......

It is so funny how you level passive agressive insults for people who want things to just work out of the box versus what excactly? People who want to install a lot of applications and do a lot of tweaking are somehow more technically advanced? How is that excatly? That makes no sense to me

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
again....you missed the whole point and are being passive agressive...fine.
Then saying people who use technology that just works out of the box are somehow ae not "as technically inclined " is insulting. That is you being passive agressive. You whole repllies have been passive agressive to say the least.

Then you make all kinds of assumptions to help you make you point that are not correct. I don't use the Apple ecosystem...there how is that? I have friends who demeonstrated Continuity.

There it is again....passive agressive insults.....People who use Apple products are somehow not as technical as what?
I think you are taking this way too personally.

I am saying that in order to configure the same level of functionality with Samsung/Android devices as Apple it takes some configuration. I know a lot of people who don't want to configure anything. They just want something that works. For those people they will never buy Android anything for that fact alone. For Nerds like myself I actually enjoy configuration and dialing in settings to get everything just the way I like it. Different strokes for different folks. Doesn't make either type of user better it is just a different type of user.

I think the majority of Apple users are not as technically inclined because they prioritize things that just work together without any configuration. It doesn't make that type of user stupid and that is not what I have implied. I have implied that they are a different user who demands simplicity in terms of how things work. That is all.

I would say that you are making a lot of assumptions too based on your internalization of what I said. Maybe I am not making passive aggressive implications and just trying to describe different users that I have witnessed myself over many years.

Look at an average windows user vs Apple user. Or a gamer over a Apple user. Generally the gamer or Windows user will have to learn to configure more to get things to work and if they keep using those platforms then generally they are bit more technically inclined just because of what they use. This is a general statement and is not always true as there are users of all platforms that don't have a technical ability. Same with Android vs iOS. Just go into the settings and configuration options on Samsung phones vs iPhone. Big difference and a lot more to configure just to get things working on Android than a more simple out of the box experience with iPhone. I am not saying one is better than the other as both have their strengths and weaknesses. But it doesn't make what I said untrue.

I am not passive aggressive as witnessed with some discussion on this forum. There are rules I have to abide by which constrains some of the speech I am allowed to use and how I say things. So the way I word things is influenced by the rules I have to abide by on this forum. If you take that as passive aggressive then so be it but I will call anyone out as much as I can directly.

Just to illustrate my point. An artist who may be many times more talented than I may be rather clueless in tech related matters. It doesn't make them stupid because they may be computer or technically illiterate to a certain point. It just means they have different talents. I don't value one talent over another and can see that for that artist as an example Apple products in general are a better fit and I would never recommend Windows or Android for that user. Does that make sense? It is not a judgement on them at all. I am just trying to make technology more accessible for a specific type of user or person. So saying that Apple products are better for people who are not as technically inclined is not an insult at all. It is actually a compliment to Apple for creating products that are easier to use for average folks. Some of my older family members who are not technically inclined all use iPhones and I am grateful that they do. There is a lot of value in how Apple designs products for those people.

For people who like to tinker a Pixel phone or Samsung phone is a lot better. For more technically inclined people you can do a lot more with these devices and the level of functionality and customization they offer but it takes being able to do things like flashing firmware if you screw something up. I don't think my aunt could ever flash new firmware on a Pixel phone to save her life. I don't judge or think my aunt is stupid at all. She is just a different type of user.

Oh and I use both platforms at the same time which is why I can compare and contrast them the way that I do and why it bothers me when people make statements like Apple ecosystem is better. They are different neither is better unless you are a specific type of user. Which has been my point the entire time. For certain users one ecosystem is clearly better but for other users this is not true. The point of one ecosystem being better is entirely dependant on the type of user not the ecosystem being inherently better than the other which is what you were claiming.

If you can understand how to configure something by using settings that may not be that easy for an average user then you are by default more technically inclined. If you don't understand that point I don't know what else to say.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I am saying that in order to configure the same level of functionality with Samsung/Android devices as Apple it takes some configuration. I know a lot of people who don't want to configure anything. They just want something that works. For those people they will never buy Android anything for that fact alone. For Nerds like myself I actually enjoy configuration and dialing in settings to get everything just the way I like it. Different strokes for different folks. Doesn't make either type of user better it is just a different type of user.

I think the majority of Apple users are not as technically inclined because they prioritize things that just work together without any configuration. It doesn't make that type of user stupid and that is not what I have implied. I have implied that they are a different user who demands simplicity in terms of how things work. That is all.

I would say that you are making a lot of assumptions too based on your internalization of what I said. Maybe I am not making passive aggressive implications and just trying to describe different users that I have witnessed myself over many years.

Look at an average windows user vs Apple user. Or a gamer over a Apple user. Generally the gamer or Windows user will have to learn to configure more to get things to work and if they keep using those platforms then generally they are bit more technically inclined just because of what they use. This is a general statement and is not always true as there are users of all platforms that don't have a technical ability. Same with Android vs iOS. Just go into the settings and configuration options on Samsung phones vs iPhone. Big difference and a lot more to configure just to get things working on Android than a more simple out of the box experience with iPhone. I am not saying one is better than the other as both have their strengths and weaknesses. But it doesn't make what I said untrue.

I am not passive aggressive as witnessed with some discussion on this forum. There are rules I have to abide by which constrains some of the speech I am allowed to use and how I say things. So the way I word things is influenced by the rules I have to abide by on this forum. If you take that as passive aggressive then so be it but I will call anyone out as much as I can directly.
No...I don't think so...You said what you said....

It funny how many wrong assumptions you make and pass your opinion off as fact for all the difefrent platform users out there.

I have 2 sons who are big gamers. but they both use a Playstation....works right out of the box.
I guess they are not technical...they didn't have to configue an operating system to game....
Look at an average windows user vs Apple user. Or a gamer over a Apple user. Generally the gamer or Windows user will have to learn to configure more to get things to work

In fact i work for a fortune 50 financial firm. i work in Cybersecurity and have been in the tech industry in some form for 30 years. i work with all kinds of people in technology.

We see a lot of technology tweakers (call themselves nerds) who brag about setting up elabortate home networks and such. They are under some false premise that because they can do all this.....it somehow makes them technical. That somehow it elevates them to somekind of nerdiness. When all it does it show how they spend countless hours tweaking and supporting their homebrew setup when a better easier solution is available or of the box with little to no tweaking.
These people tend to have some sort over inflated opinion of their overall skillset. The rest of just laugh at them as we all know better.

At work we sit back and watch these technical engineers and technical directors layout their plans and how much work and tweaking if you will, is involved in their solution.
We analyse and come back to them and show them how much extra effort and manhours are wasted. Then provide a more streamlined way to accomplish the end goal that does not involve so much tweaking. A more works out of the box solution if you will.

Does having to tweak something to get it to work.... make it better in your opinion? Do you buy a car as your daily driver with the thought of having to tweak it to get it work work correctly Or is a better solution to buy something you drive everyday that just works? With both costing the same...you would rather tweak it i guess.

It is amusing to read your post as you clearly fit in the tweaker space by your own admission.

I would rather buy something that provide all the bells and whistles out of the box. To me the user experince is more important than having to tweak things. I would rather live my life.....
I would rather go spend time with my family...than tweaking an ecosystem to bolster some overinflated sense of being nerdy.......

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
No...I don't think so...You said what you said....

It funny how many wrong assumptions you make and pass your opinion off as fact for all the difefrent platform users out there.

In fact i work for a fortune 50 financial firm. i work in Cybersecurity and have been in the tech industry in some form for 30 years. i work with all kinds of people in technology.

We see a lot of technology tweakers (call themselves nerds) who brag about setting up elabortate home networks and such. They are under some false premise that because they can do all this.....it somehow makes them technical. That somehow it elevates them to somekind of nerdiness. When all it does it show how they spend countless hours tweaking and supporting their homebrew setup when a better easier solution is available or of the box with little to no tweaking.
These people tend to have some sort over inflated opinion of their overall skillset. The rest of just laugh at them as we all know better.

At work we sit back and watch these technical engineers and technical directors layout their plans and how much work and tweaking if you will, is involved in their solution.
We analyse and come back to them and show them how much extra effort and manhours are wasted. Then provide a more streamlined way to accomplish the end goal that does not involve so much tweaking. A more works out of the box solution if you will.

Does having to tweak something to get it to work.... make it better in your opinion? Do you buy a car as your daily driver with the thought of having to tweak it to get it work work correctly Or is a better solution to buy something you drive everyday that just works? With both costing the same...you would rather tweak it i guess.

It is amusing to read your post as you clearly fit in the tweaker space by your own admission.

I would rather buy something that provide all the bells and whistles out of the box. To me the user experince is more important than having to tweak things. I would rather live my life.....
I would rather go spend time with my family...than tweaking an ecosystem to bolster some overinflated sense of being nerdy.......

I don't have to say what I do for a living to justify anything. Read what you just wrote. Who is being passive aggressive and condescending to who?

I am glad you have your opinion. I don't agree and I think you are wrong. I have already stated my points in as clear a manner as possible without bringing my emotions into it.

I don't have an overinflated opinion of myself. I am not the one who said that they work for a fortune whatever company. You did.

It doesn't matter what your credentials are because there are a lot of people who are in high positions who make mistakes or don't understand something just like anyone else.

I am glad you like what you like. But nothing you have said clearly demonstrated that Apple Ecosystem is better than the alternative and I have provided specific points where you are wrong yet instead of arguing those points you have tried to attack me personally. I have repeatedly tried to lower your personal insecurities but you have repeatedly come back with stronger personal attacks each time.

It doesn't matter what I am or what I do. Tweaker, nerd, whatever label you want to give me or I give myself are not important.

Also what you don't seem to understand is that there are more ways to accomplish the same goal than a one size fits all approach. Sure out of the box functionality is important and I stated so. But there are limits to how beneficial it is and for who. I don't enjoy tweaking something just to get basic functionality which is why I stopped using Linux as a desktop solution a while back. Streamlining, efficiency are all important but there is a balance between streamlining and out of the box functionality and customization and functionality which was the point I was trying to make.

The point is that you think one thing is better because of your preference where I don't have a preference and think both are great depending on how you use your device and can see that both have advantages and disadvantages.

As someone who says I make a lot of assumptions and insults what you just posted is just pure gold.

Have a great day and enjoy whatever you like.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
As someone who says I make a lot of assumptions and insults what you just posted is just pure gold.

Have a great day and enjoy whatever you like.
Right...i'm so glad you could see the irony...seeing as how many times you made false assumptions and insulted anyone who doesn't use the same platform as you. Insinuating slight after slight against any Apple user.

I did all that on purpose....so you could or would put 2 and 2 together there. But alas It failed some are not so self aware...

Anyway...have a great rest of your day. Its been swell....

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Right...i'm so glad you could see the irony...seeing as how many times you made false assumptions and insulted anyone who doesn't use the same platform as you. Insinuating slight after slight against any Apple user.

I did all that on purpose....so you could or would put 2 and 2 together there. But alas It failed some are not so self aware...

Anyway...have a great rest of your day. Its been swell....
I think this post says a lot more about you.

Time well spent. 😂 Lol

Thank you.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think this post says a lot more about you.

Thank you.
if you want me to quote post every assumption and insult you posted...i can do that. But I will let you go review those yourself.......I have wasted enough energy on this.

Have a great rest of your day.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
if you want me to quote post every assumption and insult you posted...i can do that. But I will let you go review those yourself.......I have wasted enough energy on this.

Have a great rest of your day.
Back at you.

We can keep going. Seems like you enjoy having the final say in a conversation. Something I have seen in some people on this forum.

You too.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Now you are getting into 3rd party applications with WhatsApp. All of my examples were native application that are on all apple devcies. So now using the native messaging application on lets say a S23 Ultra..start a message with attachements....stop then continue on a windows laptop or tablet or desktop. You can't. Then Teams is a third party enterprise application and they charge a licensing fee. So you have to pay extra for it or have an Enterprise license through your employer. We use Teams at my work and it is amazing. The whole Office suite is amazing...and expensive for personal use. Then they are not native applications.. Not the same as all the examples I provided for Continuity. Those are native applications on all Apple devcies

So going back to my original premise... not individual third party or paid applications.
Apple still has the better overall ecosystem because they control the hadware and software end to end.
Sorry your completely wrong W11 does not care if its a native app or a 3rd party they work, where on IOS only some Apple native apps work everything else you have you can go whistle LOL

You picked IMessage's only in your example but there is not a direct equivalent app on android you have to use a 3rd party app for e messages hence my examples however I also included Androids sms/mms native app to show you it works :rolleyes:

So nice try to dodge the issue by picking just native apps and some gobbledygook about 3rd party apps , but it's only an issue on IOS not Android

Again I note the limited ECO of Apple is good but it is that, limited and restrictive. MS and Samsung have done a far better job closing the gap on between the 2 OS's more so than Apple that has a greater advantage with their own Silicon to do so much more, which is a complete shame IMO

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sorry your completely wrong W11 does not care if its a native app or a 3rd party they work, where on IOS only some Apple native apps work everything else you have you can go whistle LOL

You picked IMessage's only in your example but there is not a direct equivalent app on android you have to use a 3rd party app for e messages however I also include Androids sms/mms native app to show you it works :rolleyes:

So nice try to dodge the issue by picking just native apps and some gobbledygook about 3rd party apps , but it's only an issue on IOS not Android

Again I note the limited ECO of Apple is good but it is that, limited and restrictive. MS and Samsung have done a far better job closing the gap on between the 2 OS's more so than Apple that has a greater advantage with their own Silicon to do so much more, which is a complete shame IMO
Sorry but there is no equivalent to imessage on Android or MS. It has a better feel for sending images and video and is encrypted end to end.

Then yes...I said all along these were native applications. That was my whole original premise. Apple has a better ecosystem because of their native applications. Can you simulate and reproduce the same on Android and maybe on windows...sure but it doesn't have the same user experience.

I provided proof with Continuity of the integrated ecosystem. Android Galaxy phones (what the thread title is) and Windows does not provide the same functionality.

Ddid you even look at the options and flexibility of Coninutiy? How all the devices work together and how seamless it is?

Then you say Samsung and Win11i s better then fail to show proof other than 3rd party expensive apps like MS Teams or Office suite.
Which is available on Macs too btw
Again I note the limited ECO of Apple is good but it is that, limited and restrictive. MS and Samsung have done a far better job closing the gap

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Sorry but there is no equivalent to imessage on Android or MS. It has a better feel for sending images and video and is encrypted end to end.

Then yes...I said all along these were native applications. That was my whole original premise. Apple has a better ecosystem because of their native applications. Can you simulate and reproduce the same on Android and maybe on windows...sure but it doesn't have the same user experience.

I provided proof with Continuity of the integrated ecosystem. Android Galaxy phones (what the thread title is) and Windows does not provide the same functionality.

Ddid you even look at the options and flexibility of Coninutiy? How all the devices work together and how seamless it is?

Then you say Samsung and Win11i s better then fail to show proof other than 3rd party expensive apps like MS Teams or Office suite.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

So your not wanting to talk about continuity this is just a chat about IMessage's again :rolleyes: as it seems your only counter argument

If you want to start on your phone and continue on your laptop it's a simple fact IOS is limited to a few apps, but does it very well

It does not matter how good Imessages is or is not its one app out of many users use for productivity/communications etc, you are stuck with one app only,

If your definition of better is Apples Hobson's choice then stick with it IMO

FYI I also provided a native sms/mms app along with other messaging platforms as it was in context but I could of easily shown many native apps

I think this chat is now derailed from its intent and going nowhere :rolleyes:

The funny thing is my examples were all grabbed from my MBP16M2 because I can have access to all my Fold 4 apps and my IP14P continuity on the same laptop LOL So I am very aware of IOS good but limited continuity productivity

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.