Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
For another SE, 1st generation... is this a good idea? How long do you expect the SE to be supported? My iMac has only just stopped receiving updates this year (2009) and is still going strong.

I could do with more memory and a new screen anyway. May pick another colour to make it feel like a proper upgrade.

Reactions: Tsepz

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Maybe not really a good idea, because of further iOS support, unless you can get a good re-furbished one for cheap.

When I replace my 1st gen SE it will most likely be with something like the iPhone 12 Mini, mostly for the camera. Yes, I will miss the 3.5mm jack, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I'll just have to get used to it.

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Thanks.

Would it really matters all that much if I was using an unsupported SE 1st gen in the future?

I tried the 2nd gen SE but I don't like large phones.

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Maybe not really a good idea, because of further iOS support, unless you can get a good re-furbished one for cheap.

When I replace my 1st gen SE it will most likely be with something like the iPhone 12 Mini. Yes, I will miss the 3.5mm jack, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I'll just have to get used to it.

I can find them for £100-130 so it wouldn't be a huge loss.

I have considered the mini but I'm just not prepared to pay that much for a phone.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Thanks.

Would it really matters all that much if I was using an unsupported SE 1st gen in the future?

I tried the 2nd gen SE but I don't like large phones.

I don't like big phones either. I want something that actually fits in my pocket. If I want a tablet, I will get a tablet.

It wouldn't matter, that much. The only reason I replaced my 5 with the SE was because certain apps, like my bank, simply refused to work anymore. The 5 now sits next to the HiFi as a permanent music streaming device.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The OG SE is a very good phone, one of Apples finest, but do you really want to put IOS 15 on it and slow it down like how IOS 9 is on the Iphone 4s? Personally I wouldn't do that. I left my 6s+ on the last version of IOS 12 and its as smooth as butter, and the battery is amazing. I'm not trying to upsell you to a 12 Mini, but its the perfect upgrade for those who like the OG SE form factor, and there are a lot of deals at the moment. In the UK where we hardly get any major discounts on Apple tech, the 12 Mini is now £100 off RRP, so £599 for the 64GB version, but in the US it will be even cheaper. Also once the 13 arrives, the 12 mini will get even further discounted. Its the last of the Mini's so try not to miss out!

Reactions: Barbareren

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I'm sure the mini 12 or even 13 is a great phone but it's still just too expensive for a phone, even with discounts hovering around £500.

13 is bound to cost even more.

The OG SE is a very good phone, one of Apples finest, but do you really want to put IOS 15 on it and slow it down like how IOS 9 is on the Iphone 4s? Personally I wouldn't do that. I left my 6s+ on the last version of IOS 12 and its as smooth as butter, and the battery is amazing.

I may not update it, my current SE is running fine on iOS 14 although it is running out of space.

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I'm sure the mini 12 or even 13 is a great phone but it's still just too expensive for a phone, even with discounts hovering around £500.

13 is bound to cost even more.

I may not update it, my current SE is running fine on iOS 14 although it is running out of space.
OK thats fair enough, £500 is still a fair bit of cash to spend. So do you think you would consider the SE2 for £399? its a great phone also, very fast and snappy and has the same Touch ID design that your used to with the SE1. Either way with these smaller iphones you cant go wrong, the SE1, SE2 and 12 Mini, all just great iphones all round.

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I did consider the SE2 when it first came out but couldn't get used to the size so it went back.

Would much prefer the mini but not at current prices. Guess I'll stick with the SE1 for now and wait and see if 12 mini prices drop when the 13 arrives.

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2017
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
For what it's worth, I'm running the public beta iOS 15 on my 1st gen SE and it works very well. There are a few bugs here and there, but that's down to the beta and is not unique to the SE.

I too was thinking about buying the iPhone Mini, but as the SE is getting iOS 15 support I decided a couple of weeks ago to replace the battery for $65 CAD and save the $1,000+ a new iPhone Mini costs. I'm not a gamer, I barely record video and the camera is still very good, so I don't think I'm missing out on much.

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
I'd say do it - I've just bought a brand new 64GB and it runs iOS14 perfectly.
Even if you stay on 14, you'll get many years use out of it.

I actually prefer it to the 12 mini - lighter, smaller, tougher, touch ID, and without the terrible PWM problems.
Still the best phone by miles IMO.

Reactions: Fedsbackhand

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I actually prefer it to the 12 mini - lighter, smaller, tougher, touch ID, and without the terrible PWM problems.
Still the best phone by miles IMO.

Sorry what do mean by terrible PWM problems?

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
PWM is screen flickering, causing bad headaches/dizziness for many people (me included).

There's a few threads on here about it - just search 'PWM'

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I haven't upgraded yet but just checked the new prices of the 12 mini and it's still too much at £579...

13 mini is even more, guess I will be upgrading to the SE1 afterall (or a non Apple phone).

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Finally getting round to buying another SE1
The 16GB is now completely full
32GB will be enough space right?

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Depends if you sync to the cloud or not. I have an SE1 with 64 GB and have to delete photos periodically to maintain free space. I am old school and do not store my photos on the cloud.

I recently contemplated migrating to a 13 mini or 12 mini or SE2 because my battery health was low. I heard that the SE3 may be coming out 1st qtr 2022, so I decided to have a new battery installed to buy some time (and to provide breathing room if/when this phone becomes the backup/spare unit). Will see if/when I migrate.

Not sure what the price difference is between a SE1 32GB, 126GB or 64GB would be--probably shouldn't be to great a spread.

Reactions: Fedsbackhand

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Yes, I'm using the cloud - I can't be picky with only 16GB of space! I don't have many apps, but now struggling to use mail and WhatsApp without deleting photos daily. Don't use it for music.

I can get a good deal on a sealed 32GB but maybe going for a 64GB so I don't run out of space again in a year or two might be a better idea longterm?

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
IMO 16GB will be a struggle - the modern iOS takes way more memory than the iOS 5 / 6.
32GB is do-able if you don't go crazy - 64GB is luxury.

It'll almost certainly need a new battery, even if it's sealed.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I don’t know why anyone would go out and buy any device running an A9 right now. You’re willing to pay more for storage, plus a new battery? Then pay a bit more for a newer one that will last long enough to make the extra storage useful. Even an SE 2 will be a nice upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.