Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I don’t know why anyone would go out and buy any device running an A9 right now.

Other than storage space the old one is perfect for my needs. I don’t want a larger device - I’d get an iPhone 4 if it was practical today. That would be the ideal size.

Reactions: Tsepz

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
I love envying Apple's latest and greatest, but I'm like you – the first-generation iPhone SE is still my only iPhone, and it's doing fine with iOS 15.

(An upgrade is inevitable – maybe an iPhone 12 mini once next year's is released. Street prices for an unlocked one have settled to just above $400 US on a good day; presumably that will improve by then.)

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
I don’t know why anyone would go out and buy any device running an A9 right now. You’re willing to pay more for storage, plus a new battery? Then pay a bit more for a newer one that will last long enough to make the extra storage useful. Even an SE 2 will be a nice upgrade
For me and quite a few others that I know, anything larger than a 4" screen loses one-hand capability.
Also unless you're a kind of 'power user', the SE 1 still does everything perfectly - I have no noticeable slowdowns on mine. But each to their own - for some people bigger/newer is always better.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I would say that yes it is an issue to be out of support. There have been several critical bugs that have been fixed this year alone. If you continue to use your device it will have security flaws that will not get patched.

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I’ve not run into any problems with my unsupported iMac - hoping it will be the same whenever Apple stops issuing updates for the SE1.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You can usually use an old iOS version for about a year after the next one comes out without much trouble. After that app support slowly starts to become a problem.

Apple was providing security updates for iOS 14 even after 15 released so I can see them doing the same for 15 next year.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
For me and quite a few others that I know, anything larger than a 4" screen loses one-hand capability.
Also unless you're a kind of 'power user', the SE 1 still does everything perfectly - I have no noticeable slowdowns on mine. But each to their own - for some people bigger/newer is always better.
To be fair to the Iphone SE 2020 and also the 12/13 Mini, you can use them one handed as well pretty easily, i can anyway. With the 12/13 Mini one may have to slightly stretch to reach the top left hand corner of the screen (taller screen). I regret not buying the OG SE when it came out though, that is one of Apples best iphones and would have been a great addition to my iphone collection.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For another SE, 1st generation... is this a good idea? How long do you expect the SE to be supported? My iMac has only just stopped receiving updates this year (2009) and is still going strong.

I could do with more memory and a new screen anyway. May pick another colour to make it feel like a proper upgrade.

OG SE pretty much is done. The last two major iOS updates probably slowed it to a complete halt if you start to use any 3rd party app of substance.

Get a 13 mini closest in design, style, size, and grip in the hand. Unless of course you're too keen on the TouchID>

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Im also thinking of buying a new se 1st gen for $154, I currently have a g7 power and its so big and bulky I hate it....I want the 1st gen due to its small size, hows the battery on your new old phone holding up? What did you pay?

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
We have a 1st gen SE running v15.2 and it is working very well (still). For small hands, there is nothing else by Apple that comes close, sadly, and we prefer to stay in the ecosystem but are not religious about that. We were ready to buy the 2nd gen until the size increase was announced so deferred. We’ll likely keep the 1st gen until it absolutely dies. Our iPhone7 likewise keeps chugging along in its form factor which is more easily replaced with things like the iPhone12 mini and subsequent similarly-sized iPhones, but the 1st gen SE is unique today for size. Sad…for us anyway.

Reactions: Fedsbackhand

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
We have a 1st gen SE running v15.2 and it is working very well (still). For small hands, there is nothing else by Apple that comes close, sadly, and we prefer to stay in the ecosystem but are not religious about that. We were ready to buy the 2nd gen until the size increase was announced so deferred. We’ll likely keep the 1st gen until it absolutely dies. Our iPhone7 likewise keeps chugging along in its form factor which is more easily replaced with things like the iPhone12 mini and subsequent similarly-sized iPhones, but the 1st gen SE is unique today for size. Sad…for us anyway.

I am thoroughly impressed with the 12 mini which replaces my 1st gen SE. I considered the 2nd gen SE, but the camera quality on that is lacking compared to the 12 mini. I'm also of the age were the somewhat bigger screen of the 12 mini is necessary yet the phone is still useable with one hand. I can handle the lack of 3.5mm jack. The uGreen converter from Amazon works fine and is of a much better quality than the Apple plug. My current usage requires charging once every 1.5 to 2 days, my old SE was down to about 6 hours and is now a permanent media player in the car.

Reactions: Barbareren

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
I just ordered a 32gb in gold, what case do you use? Do you also use a screen protector?

What stinks is that I just bought the moto g7 power 2 years ago for $270 and now its only worth $100..It was my first smartphone too, i always use basic phones, now its just wifi.... I disklike the android phone very much and it frustrates me...

Fedsbackhand

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Actually I don't use a case or a screen protector.

Well my old SE is pretty worthless now (if I wanted to sell it) with low storage and a failing screen/Touch ID.

Reactions: burts

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Actually I don't use a case or a screen protector.

Well my old SE is pretty worthless now (if I wanted to sell it) with low storage and a failing screen/Touch ID.

I took the screen protector off my old SE a while ago and haven't bothered with one on my brand spanking new 12 mini. Not a scratch on either phone. I'm careful with my toys like that, I want to see and feel the screen as originally intended in all its glory. The Apple silicon case on the 12 mini works like a charm, very nice to hold. It keeps the screen off whatever surface you lie it face down on and the cameras too when you put it down face up.

Reactions: Fedsbackhand

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I would say that yes it is an issue to be out of support. There have been several critical bugs that have been fixed this year alone. If you continue to use your device it will have security flaws that will not get patched.
I recommend IMMEDIATELY downloading the current supported iOS for your SE1 and ensure it's stored on your iMac and external storage since it's 'signed'. If I'm not mistaken you'll be always able to load that OS back from scratch (DFU mode) whenever last resort is needed.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I took the screen protector off my old SE a while ago and haven't bothered with one on my brand spanking new 12 mini. Not a scratch on either phone. I'm careful with my toys like that, I want to see and feel the screen as originally intended in all its glory. The Apple silicon case on the 12 mini works like a charm, very nice to hold. It keeps the screen off whatever surface you lie it face down on and the cameras too when you put it down face up.
Doesn't help with uneven surfaces or when the screen lands on a fall directly in contact with something that'll damage the screen. Don't worry 1 day you'll not be careful or just an accident will occur and you'll regret it.

that said you're probably much more accurate in typing on your 12 mini than I am with screen protecter on my 12 mini. My real purpose for screen protector was to keep away from using any of my 2 warranty claims under AC+ in hopes of getting the highest upgrade value for my 12 mini. I waited to long and the high $800CAN dropped to just above $5xx now. Grrrr.

Gotta look into first replacement value when upgrading via Apple.

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
My gold se is in the mail and im excited, I use my phone for talk and text

Check this out that I found, think it will contact that frame instead the glass when lying flat?

Oh sorry guess im late to the party, never knew these were a thing

Last edited:

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Doesn't help with uneven surfaces or when the screen lands on a fall directly in contact with something that'll damage the screen. Don't worry 1 day you'll not be careful or just an accident will occur and you'll regret it.

that said you're probably much more accurate in typing on your 12 mini than I am with screen protecter on my 12 mini. My real purpose for screen protector was to keep away from using any of my 2 warranty claims under AC+ in hopes of getting the highest upgrade value for my 12 mini. I waited to long and the high $800CAN dropped to just above $5xx now. Grrrr.

Gotta look into first replacement value when upgrading via Apple.

The thing is, I use my phone every single day, for sometimes hours on end, but I do not drop/damage it every day. I also make a point of not deliberately laying it face down on an uneven rough surface.

I got my first iPhone about 7 years ago now and have not yet damaged one of them. In the meantime, I have enjoyed the full benefit of these amazing screens, response/accuracy when typing included. If I have to maybe replace a screen one day, then so be it, but by the time that happens, I'm due for a whole new phone anyway.

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Mail lady just delivered, I go to my mailbox and its in a usps we care package, open it up and the shipping package is sliced open, bubble wrap sliced open and nothing in it.....

What a way to start the day, purchased through ebay

Theives can burn in hell, I hope they are happy with an old iphone

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I’ve not run into any problems with my unsupported iMac - hoping it will be the same whenever Apple stops issuing updates for the SE1.
Apple will continue to issue security updates to it. Some of the older iPhones like iPhone 5S still get the odd security update in their current iOS.

I really like how one is able to buy a 5 year old iPhone and still have the most current OS version straight from the manufacturer, this is not something you see outside of iOS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.