Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
... is horrible lol. To be expected, of course, but the charging time is also noticeably longer. Dropped from 20 to 1 in like 10-15 minutes and took hours to even get back above 50%. I always wonder, what is it that drains battery so hard in betas? Especially when a lot of the (advertised) changes don't really seem like they'd be huge OS changes?

iP6+, by the way.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I think it's because of the diagnostic tools that are constantly working in the background. And, of course, because it's a buggy OS.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
And because of all the reindexing etc. Give it a couple of days to bed in and allow a full charge and discharge before plugging in again.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Yep. Internet use + indexing is the culprit for initial battery drain.

I saw my internet activity (through ISP Provided router) constantly sending and receiving big data (stopped when I turned off my iPhone's wifi) for a good 30 minutes (slow isp).

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Yep. Internet use + indexing is the culprit for initial battery drain.

I saw my internet activity (through ISP Provided router) constantly sending and receiving big data (stopped when I turned off my iPhone's wifi) for a good 30 minutes (slow isp).
Doesn't seem like that along with warm phones would be part of the initial setup.

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
... is horrible lol. To be expected, of course, but the charging time is also noticeably longer. Dropped from 20 to 1 in like 10-15 minutes and took hours to even get back above 50%. I always wonder, what is it that drains battery so hard in betas? Especially when a lot of the (advertised) changes don't really seem like they'd be huge OS changes?

iP6+, by the way.
I assume you loaded from fresh DFU?

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Charging seems to be ok here. After 20m went from 18 to 43%.

But initially I have done update from beta 8.4 to 9.0 and I saw massive battery drain.

Let it finish recharging and see how it goes with only 3 additional apps installed.

I know it's the first beta but for a new release that suppose to be more energy efficient and give and additional 1h of usage...that a pretty bad start.

I always test every new iOS and seems to be the worst first beta ever (battery wise)

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Same issue here. iPhone 6 upgraded from 8.4 beta to 9.0b1. Left the phone unplugged over night and I wake up to about 20% battery. Took another 15 minutes to drain it dead. Charging now is apparently slow but that could be the charger.
I'll give it a day or two and then maybe do a DFU install.

JPOWA

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Someone said in another topic that he solved the problem removing all the searching fields.

I already have done the restore, charged it to 100% and remove the search.

Let see what happens.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Someone said in another topic that he solved the problem removing all the searching fields.

I already have done the restore, charged it to 100% and remove the search.

Let see what happens.

What do you mean remove the search fields?

Insleep

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
United States

iP6+, by the way.

Weird. I'm getting amazing battery life. Much better than iOS 8.3 & 8.4

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
oddly the battery life on my old iPhone 5 seems to have improved with the iOS 9 beta. i have been using it for 27 minutes now and it still at 100 % and hasnt gotten warm yet (my iPhone 5 has been getting pretty warm as of late on 8.3). my iPhone 6 on 8.4b3 even dropped a few percent in that time frame already. i will continue to keep a close eye

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

iP6+, by the way.

For the first hour I upgraded to iOS 9 Beta 1 my phone was in overheat mode. I think the indexing is finally done as it seems to be running much cooler now. Sheesh.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I feel everyone's pain with the 6 Plus Drain, I did an update from 8.4b3 to iOS 9. And LOOK 0.0
image.jpg

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Interesting that I just did that and the lag stopped as well. Hope it fixes this battery drain too.

Why would you do that? The battery drains initially because everything has to be reindexed. Just give it a day or or so and everything will be back to normal. Same thing happens on the Mac. Spotlight has to reindex and that makes the OS run slow after the update is installed initially until the indexing is finished. But then people freak out for no reason and claim the newest update is slow or start changing settings for no reason.

Just give it a few hours at least, sheesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.