Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
Why would you do that? The battery drains initially because everything has to be reindexed. Just give it a day or or so and everything will be back to normal. Same thing happens on the Mac. Spotlight has to reindex and that makes the OS run slow after the update is installed initially until the indexing is finished. But then people freak out for no reason and claim the newest update is slow or start changing settings for no reason.

Just give it a few hours at least, sheesh.
Some people just want the update to just work like the Apple slogan "It just works"

I am thinking that I will definately update to 9. I just need to get a friend with a dev account.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
I have had iOS9 on my phone for over 22 hours... Battery is still rapidly draining at almost 4x the notmal rate. For now I took of the settings in search, just to be safe. If battery improves, then while charging overnight, I will let it index again... Submitted Bug Report

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
Out of curiosity to everybody here, do you guys leave your iPhone connected to the power charger while the OS loads up or are running on battery while this is going on?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Why would you do that? The battery drains initially because everything has to be reindexed. Just give it a day or or so and everything will be back to normal. Same thing happens on the Mac. Spotlight has to reindex and that makes the OS run slow after the update is installed initially until the indexing is finished. But then people freak out for no reason and claim the newest update is slow or start changing settings for no reason.

Just give it a few hours at least, sheesh.

While I was at work I turned everything off until my day was over. Im home now and i turned everything on again and will leave it on overnight. It was on since about 7 PM last night until about 12 today and it was still horrible.

I hope it finishes indexing tonight.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I had battery drain on a restored iPhone 6 and fresh install on an iPad 3, and both stayed pretty warm for some time. Agreed with the indexing. I guessed that Apple's servers were getting hammered, too - turning off iCloud Drive on both devices slowed the drain considerably. I did not upgrade my iCloud Drive when prompted during the install.

I also noticed both devices getting warm-to-hot when using any app with GPS (LTE iPad), especially Google Maps and Newsify, the latter of which offers some local targeted ads when browsing. My iPhone 6 stayed warm-to-hot after using GPS, and I needed to reboot the phone to get it to cool down.

FWIW, on my iPhone 6, most of the General>Search items were already unchecked as I had unchecked items previously in iOS 8, so no major change for me with this. I'll be carrying one of my 16k mAh Anker batteries with me for a few days... :D

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Mine just started draining not too long ago (iPhone 5s 9.0b1), only does it when connected to wifi. It stops when on cellular data.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Charging seems to be ok here. After 20m went from 18 to 43%.

But initially I have done update from beta 8.4 to 9.0 and I saw massive battery drain.

Let it finish recharging and see how it goes with only 3 additional apps installed.

I know it's the first beta but for a new release that suppose to be more energy efficient and give and additional 1h of usage...that a pretty bad start.

I always test every new iOS and seems to be the worst first beta ever (battery wise)
I am shocked by this bad battery performance either. Even this is the beta version, if apple aims at improving the quality of the iOS, this is surely a really bad start.
However, if I consider it from another side, this beta is a "true" beta software because it performs so bad that I instantly realise this is not an official firmware. In iOS 8.4 beta 3, I sometimes feel I am using an officially released software, not a beta software. It performs so solid that I feel little difference. Maybe occasional music app interface element misplacing could remind me this is still in beta. Ha-ha.....:)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I had battery drain on a restored iPhone 6 and fresh install on an iPad 3, and both stayed pretty warm for some time. Agreed with the indexing. I guessed that Apple's servers were getting hammered, too - turning off iCloud Drive on both devices slowed the drain considerably. I did not upgrade my iCloud Drive when prompted during the install.

I also noticed both devices getting warm-to-hot when using any app with GPS (LTE iPad), especially Google Maps and Newsify, the latter of which offers some local targeted ads when browsing. My iPhone 6 stayed warm-to-hot after using GPS, and I needed to reboot the phone to get it to cool down.

FWIW, on my iPhone 6, most of the General>Search items were already unchecked as I had unchecked items previously in iOS 8, so no major change for me with this. I'll be carrying one of my 16k mAh Anker batteries with me for a few days... :D
I didn't use GPS related apps for now. But I will need to take my external battery with me a few days, either...:(

ZomBee

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
Am I the only one not having an issue with battery drain? I restored from an iCloud backup and so far haven't had any issues with apps or battery drain.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, everyone, here is a very simple music playback test, with screen always on.
image.jpg

You see iPhone has been plugged in, because I don't want it die swiftly...;)
Solid 9 hours usage, no WiFi, Bluetooth on. Worse than before, but at least not so bad.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Am I the only one not having an issue with battery drain? I restored from an iCloud backup and so far haven't had any issues with apps or battery drain.

nope, just woke up and my old iPhone 5 on iOS 9 still got 96% this morning. it was at 98% when i went to bed.

fresh install, no update and no restore from back up

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
I disabled search on the iphone 6, and this time the drain went from 86% to 42% overnight. I disabled BT but left WiFi on (and it may have been feeding the Apple Watch somehow).

On the ipad air 2, went from 69% to 35%. In just 6h.

Still pretty bad. I know it's a beta, and I didn't expect a battery improvement as advertised... But this drain? It's crazy!

iL15hts

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
This is my first time to encounter this kind of battery drain. Maybe it only affects iPhone 6/6+?

Hockerusa

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
This is my first time to encounter this kind of battery drain. Maybe it only affects iPhone 6/6+?
My battery on the 6+ is amazing. Last all day. I better not experience this type of battery drain. One of the main reasons I got this phone was because of the battery

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Well a day in and it's still draining fast, 5% in the last hour and a half from just sitting there on the iPhone 6. As people have said though - it's a Beta, to be expected, but also improved battery life is supposed to be a feature... :\

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My battery on the 6+ is amazing. Last all day. I better not experience this type of battery drain. One of the main reasons I got this phone was because of the battery
Yes, but Apple did not intend for u to use a beta 1 on it, so forget why u bought it- it doesn't apply when using a beta this early.

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
Was facing the same battery drain last night. Charged it to 100% and kept it connected till the indexing was completed. After disconnecting, it went down to 95% in a few minutes.

Granted that this is a beta and that I might have done an upgrade instead of a fresh install. Starting a fresh install now. Will give it a few days and see how the battery works out after that.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
iPhone 6+ 64Gb here. Same battery drain. Normally my iPhone loses 3-4% over night. Last night it was at 14% and I was really curious about the new powersave mode so I turned that new option on and went to sleep, this morning my iPhone was completely drained :p

iOS 8.3 no power save: 3-4% loss
iOS 9b1 power save mode: 14+ %

Made me laugh this morning. ;-) will test it again tonight and see if it's the same deal, since everyone here is talking about indexing and blah blah. ;-)

Magnum Opus

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2011
I'm also losing about 50% overnight. I've done every beta before, but this one has serious issues with the battery somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.