Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Thing is, even though this is a beta - how can Apple quote longer battery life as a feature of iOS 9 when at this stage it's killing the battery at an alarming rate? If the beta has this problem surely they can't know they can improve battery life??

Because it obviously won't be like this in the official release. What Apple showed yesterday is probably beta 3 or something. It had the News app.

Only Apple knows how many diagnostic and logging tools are running incessantly in the background. Plus, background app refresh seems completely broken so all your (our) apps are refreshing in the background, making the phone hot and usage time seem very close or identical to standby. Essentially, the phone rarely goes into standby with this beta.

I, for one, am downgrading to 8.4b4. I will lose access to my Notes, which I upgraded, but at least I'll be able to access them from El Capitan. Which, mind you, is a fantastic beta 1. iOS...not so much.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
Thing is, even though this is a beta - how can Apple quote longer battery life as a feature of iOS 9 when at this stage it's killing the battery at an alarming rate? If the beta has this problem surely they can't know they can improve battery life??

They will have had internal builds go through thorough testing to gather those preliminary numbers on.

Developer betas are explicitly designed with development devices in mind which spend most of their time teatherd to a Mac, battery life for these builds is a non-issue.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Wow, so disabling perhaps the most vital hardware feature of a smartphone will enhance the battery, who would have thought?!!

Development devices won't use cellular data anyway (except for testing).

You should not install this on daily drivers.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
My battery life has been crappy on my 6 Plus as well. I know its the first beta, and I'm always near a charger so its not big deal. I have my iPhone plugged in to a 10w iPad charger and it has taken about 40 minutes to go from 49% to 61%. I also just had it plugged in to my computer and was restoring my data (its still indexing I'm sure) and it was actually loosing charge while it was syncing. I plugged it in, it was at 60% or so and it finished at 49%.

Weird part is, on my iPad (Air 2) I just upgraded from 8.4 B3 to 9.0B1 (I know, big no-no) but its been just fine. Battery life is about the same and there is no performance degrade. My 6 Plus does seem a bit more sluggish, but not much more then the iOS 8.0 betas were on my iPad mini 2.

Luckily, when I went out for my walk this morning, it didn't use any more data then normal so I hope don't get that bug. I'm on a family share plan and that's not gonna be pretty. *Knocks on wood*

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I did an upgrade first; battery life hammered, so cleared it out and did a DFU. Have had one day of good battery life yesterday, and today it's gone bonkers again and has lost 30% in about 90 minutes of light use. Will persevere but hope Apple release v2 in under two weeks as per...

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
I just received an answer from the bug report I filled in yesterday about battery drain overnight, asking me to provide "battery logs, please". So I've installed a mobileprofile to log it!

what scares me is that they didn't close the report as duplicate or already known, just asked me for more information; maybe this drain was not expected? maybe it's not because of their logging mechanisms... and that worries me

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
Battery Life is really bad on my iPhone 6+ - I have to keep on the charger all day..

However, what is weird is my iPad battery is fine and doesn't seem any different than normal..

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Night number two on iOS9. Had 17% battery left, turned on the power save mode. iPhone 6+ was dead in the morning. Guess the indexing takes longer than 48hrs huh? :p (pun to those who say the initial indexing is the culprit)

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
I had bad battery life myself. Tried to do a DFU restore and couldn't get it to get to DFU mode. Finally got it to it and installed iOS 9 but would not let me restore an iOS 9 iCloud backup. Finally got it on iOS 8.4 beta 4 and reinstalled a two day old back up. I'll wait until beta 2 comes out.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I downgraded to iOS 8.4 beta 4 instead, I may wait on beta 2 OR Public Beta at this point.

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
I downgraded to iOS 8.4 beta 4 instead, I may wait on beta 2 OR Public Beta at this point.
How is the battery on 8.4 beta 4? Any improvement over 8.3? I'm going to downgrade anytime soon, but I don't want to have the same battery drain again.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
How is the battery on 8.4 beta 4? Any improvement over 8.3? I'm going to downgrade anytime soon, but I don't want to have the same battery drain again.

i get about 6 to 7 hours out of my iPhone 6 on iOS 8.4b4. Depends on what i do with it, like Spotify and Snapchat drains a lot but thats not really a fault of the OS

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
WHOA. iOS 8.4 beta 3 reliably gets me through the day if I don't use the phone, with 80-85% charge left on my 6 Plus. Not so with 9 beta 1 - the way it's draining my battery it may very well die today. I am conducting an experiment, to see if the phone does indeed die before I return home...

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
No issues on iPad Air 2, however I noticed in the new Search it continually update news items from my favourite sites in the background. Surely this has got to be the main culprit for so much data being reported used as well as battery drain?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
No issues on iPad Air 2, however I noticed in the new Search it continually update news items from my favourite sites in the background. Surely this has got to be the main culprit for so much data being reported used as well as battery drain?

I seems to be mobile data / a cellular connection being the culprit. I'm reading on the dev forums that disabling mobile data has stopped the drain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.