Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Thanks
I'm still trying to contact the seller.
If he scammed you he will never speak to you again. Apple will never speak to you unless you are logged into the device via Apple ID. You do not require proof of ownership but you have to be logged into Apple ID on the device.

Intelligent301

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2023
Kathmandu, Nepal
Than
As a former Apple Store employee, I can tell you that iPhone was replaced by a warranty replacement at some point and should have been returned to Apple. That phone shouldn't have been in the wild.
Sometimes this does happen on accident by an Apple Genius Bar employee fat-fingering a serial.
I'd put in a claim to eBay because you will never be able to get service for that device at any Apple store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
There are also other scenarios involving cloning serial numbers and Applecare fraud as well.
Thanks.
Do you know why the apple didn't lock this phone after the replacement?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Use your Apple ID; nothing bad will happen. People keep telling you this and you keep asking the question.

Stop trying to contact the seller. You posted that they've blocked you so I'm not sure why you think it'll suddenly work.

Put in whatever sim you want to use. If it won't work (cos the phone really is sim-locked; your posts make it seem like you're a bit confused by the situation) then phone every network, apart from your own, and ask them if they've locked the phone and if so to remove it.
Correct. It appears as though Apple locked the device due to the warranty replacement.

Reactions: Intelligent301

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
Recently I had purchased the iPhone X through online. At first I reset that iPhone to check whether it is linked to previous owner or not and it wasn't linked. So I take that phone by giving him his said amount. After that I came home and checked other settings and I found that sim was locked. So I tried to know it's coverage through its serial number but it shows "We're sorry, but this is a serial number for a product that has been replaced. Please check your information and re-enter your serial number. If your information is correct, you may need to contact us". I think I have got scammed.

I haven't login to my apple id. Because I want to know whether it will lock or not after login to my apple id. If there is anyone who have faced this similar issue please share me your suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Contact Apple. If you provide the receipt they may unlock it for you. No guarantees as you may have unknowingly purchased a stolen, or otherwise illegally obtained device.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Than

Thanks.
Do you know why the apple didn't lock this phone after the replacement?

Sometimes, it’s not until a while until the phone gets activation locked. Often it’s never. Not sure why. What’s certain is the serial was already used as a replacement, often through serial cloning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.