Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I bought the White S3 (never had a white phone before), but I was hating the color more and more every day. I'm just not a white phone kinda guy. So, decided I was going to change the color and upgrade the look and feel of it while I was at it. Only tricky part was avoiding any metal battery covers, since that blocks the NFC chip from working. Real carbon fiber does as well. Which meant Kevlar or carbon fiber or metal 'looking' battery covers. I also needed to find a screen protector that covered the whole front of the phone AND changed the color (actually covering the white protion of the bezel.)

So began the search. At my local at&t store, they were selling anti-oil / anti-reflect screen protectors for the pebble blue phone and it covered the entire bezel except the buttons at the bottom. Good enough for me.

Next was the hard part. Finding a quality and good looking battery cover. Carbon Fiber is my preference, but it couldn't be real CF. I also wanted black or blue, so the whole phone was dark colored. Found one and only one on Amazon. Came in today. Feels nice and the phone no longer feels slippery on the back. Now i have a phone i like the look of. Why didn't Samsung make a back that was more like this? Anyway, here are the pics:

Front with anti reflective screen protector. Not a fan of this because it messes up the clarity of the display.
18179939-6cdd-e6ab.jpg

CF look black back battery cover. Feels extremely nice in the hand.
18179939-6cf2-211c.jpg

And of course, how it originally looked:
Samsung-Galaxy-S3.jpg

Last edited:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
It's still made of plastic, therefore iPhone>Android in every aspect except a drop test. :p

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
It's still made of plastic, therefore iPhone>Android in every aspect except a drop test. :p

Yeah, yeah. Wasn't the 3gs, 3g and original iphone all made of plastic? So, does that mean iphone > iphone? :D

I had the iP4. To me the S3 actually feels better in the hand. It may not be a solid mass made of glass and metal, but I don't mind. Instead of feeling cold and soulless, the S3 has more of a welcoming and natural feel to it. I don't view it as a piece of art, more like an extension of me. I don't see the black mirror of tech, when i hold my phone. :)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If the GSIII was a matte black it would look a little better.

Carbon fiber skin on the back is an improvement.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Yeah, yeah. Wasn't the 3gs, 3g and original iphone all made of plastic? So, does that mean iphone > iphone? :D

I had the iP4. To me the S3 actually feels better in the hand. It may not be a solid mass made of glass and metal, but I don't mind. Instead of feeling cold and soulless, the S3 has more of a welcoming and natural feel to it. I don't view it as a piece of art, more like an extension of me. I don't see the black mirror of tech, when i hold my phone. :)

Just giving the obligatory "It feels cheap" remark. I loved my S2 and Galaxy Nexus and if the new iPhone doesn't "Wow" me, I'll be jumping to the S3.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have to actually agree, not sure if I like that. I think it's the fact that the dark blue shiny plastic clashes with the black. Think it would look much better with the red version and maybe the white.

But probably looks better in person too.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I like it, much prefer it to the White S3, Ive never been a fan of White phones or white tech in general, I much prefer the sleek black look.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Whether it was made the way it is, or the way you wish it to be, the GS3 is a crappy lookin' phone regardless.

Samsung, especially now after this trial, will be nothing more than a cheap knock-off Apple-wannabe who will never catch up again.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sorry, OP, but I like the original look better than your "improvement"
But we all have our own tastes and opinion
If you are happy with it, that is all that counts
But if you post it publicly, be prepared for others to voice their opinion too

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

hahahha really? The iphone 4 and 4s have glass back and fronts... if it falls flush with the surfice, it is more likely to break than plastic.. Ive had a 4 and a 4s back and front shatter falling from 3-4 feet. only Landing on its back.

check some drop test video lol

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Now do this:

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/16/i9300xxdlg4-galaxy-s-iii-android-4-1-1-jelly-bean-test-firmware/

----------

Just giving the obligatory "It feels cheap" remark. I loved my S2 and Galaxy Nexus and if the new iPhone doesn't "Wow" me, I'll be jumping to the S3.

Apparently sarcasm doesn't get picked up to well on this here forum. Very serious!!!!

hahahha really? The iphone 4 and 4s have glass back and fronts... if it falls flush with the surfice, it is more likely to break than plastic.. Ive had a 4 and a 4s back and front shatter falling from 3-4 feet. only Landing on its back.

check some drop test video lol

Jesus christ do people not read the entire thread????? Did we skim past the part where I said EXCEPT?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.