Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

11blue

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
So, will this newest MacBook revision (2.4 in mind) do anything for gaming? I'm not personally looking to play Crysis on high settings, but, whats the most current game i could play, possibly on low settings? This is with Bootcamp in mind as well, btw.

Thank you!

11blue

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
But yeah, will I be able to run Half Life 2 pretty alright at lower settings though? That's all I'm really looking for, and maybe the Team Fortress 2 stuff. As well, how about older mac games, like Warcraft 3? They are compatible with the current Mac's right?

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
The newest Macbook has the same graphics card as the SR 2.2 version. So if a game could not run on that version, it will not run on the latest one either.

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Actually that's my biggest regret about buying my Macbook is that I didn't splurge more for a decent video card that's available on the Macbook Pro. Intel video cards are just garbage in my opinion. I feel as though I have this amazing hotrod that looks just fantastic with crappy little wheels on it :(

As a recent convert that was the biggest stumbling block to making the purchase. If Dell and HP like can find a way to cram an nVidia 8400M GS in a sub $1000 laptop then Apple should be able to find a way to add it in their mid level consumer lines.

Oh well everyday is one day closer to when my gaming rig will eventually die and I can replace it with something that has some balls :D

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
But yeah, will I be able to run Half Life 2 pretty alright at lower settings though? That's all I'm really looking for, and maybe the Team Fortress 2 stuff. As well, how about older mac games, like Warcraft 3? They are compatible with the current Mac's right?

Its the same graphics as before, the x3100. I have not personally tried this with a actual MB, but with another laptop with 2 gigs of ram. The x3100 is a hit or miss propositon. Especially with HL2, it runs pretty bad with that. If you really thinking about any type of gaming, you really need a discrete graphics card, not the x3100.

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
No chance, it would kill MBP sales.

yeah, then it would be almost the exact same machine as the base MBP for $500 cheaper.

Only it would be a 13.3 inch instead of a 15 no Firewire 800 port and not encased in aluminum and still has the MB's tiny little speakers. Maybe it's just me but if you try and be too stategic about your product offerings then you're passing up potential customers and really just outsmarting yourself. Although I agree with not swamping the customer with too many choices but shipping with an anemic video card doesn't sound right for a company trying to bank on it's reputation on being the best out there for handling digital media.

Ideally, if I could choose as an upgrade option for a few extra hundred bux to put in something with more umph I'd be more than happy. You can't go wrong by giving your customers a choice.

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
This is what it looks like on a MB Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz / 1 GB / X3100.

Notice the frames per second.

On my XP rig that has a Pentium 4, 3GHz with HT, 1 GB, with a GeForce 7800 GS w/ 256 MB it pops between 30 and 60 frames at 1680 x 1050, 24 bit color depth 2x multi-sampling.

Notice the frames on that one.

Attachments

• ScreenShot_022708_212903.jpeg
    ScreenShot_022708_212903.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 426
  • WoWScrnShot_022708_214122.jpg
    WoWScrnShot_022708_214122.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 379

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
So, will this newest MacBook revision (2.4 in mind) do anything for gaming? I'm not personally looking to play Crysis on high settings, but, whats the most current game i could play, possibly on low settings? This is with Bootcamp in mind as well, btw.

Thank you!

i have played counter strike source on my macbook, and my mac is last version.

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
How about World of Warcraft? How does that do with the X3100 chipset?

I have been running World of Warcraft on the lowend Macbook released in November with maxed out ram. Low to medium settings give me single digit FPS in busy areas like major cities, around 20fps out in the wild. Bearable, but not recommended.

JMBrown

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
This is what it looks like on a MB Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz / 1 GB / X3100.

Notice the frames per second.

On my XP rig that has a Pentium 4, 3GHz with HT, 1 GB, with a GeForce 7800 GS w/ 256 MB it pops between 30 and 60 frames at 1680 x 1050, 24 bit color depth 2x multi-sampling.

Notice the frames on that one.

Wow. My roommate regularly gets 20ish FPS on his 2.0 CD MB. I wonder why you're running so low...?

TJones

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Wow. My roommate regularly gets 20ish FPS on his 2.0 CD MB. I wonder why you're running so low...?

He's probably running it at a very low resolution with all effects turned off. But then it goes from looking like hell to looking like freaking hell :)

When WoW idles at 20ish it'll drop to 5's and 6's when there's actually stuff going on. For me that's unplayable and the limiting factor here is the video card. Not having it's own dedicated RAM means you're playing with less overall RAM while the game is running and your Video Card and CPU are fighting over the same bandwidth to the same memory.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Just got a Macbook (November refresh & x3100 Intel graphics) and WoW gets about 25 fps at the lowest of settings and least intensive onscreen conditions.

IT's doable, but not acceptable for me as far as gaming goes. Just my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.