Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Any version of the MacBook is going to be bad for gaming. Even the MBP isn't good for gaming, considering the cost. $2500 in the notebook PC world will buy you dual GPUs with 1GB or more of video memory.

The only way to get Half-Life 2 to run on a MacBook is to take it down to 640x480 and turn everything off. Otherwise the game will be a slideshow more often than not.

But at such a low resolution and with everything off.... whats the point? Half of what makes Half-Life 2 good is the atmosphere created by the graphics.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Apple has really blown it on their video cards. It should not be necessary to buy a $2000 to have the graphics a $800 PC can have. It's like they don't want people to switch, but just keep their few Mac faithful. I would have paid an extra $200 to have a good graphics card on MB. People will pay, but Apple just doesn't get it.

signaturez

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
lack of dedicated graphic card in macbook is a mistake of Apple's business strategy.... I hope the engineers learn from their mistake and offer an option of dedicated graphic card in the coming Macbook Centrino 2.

That will draw more university students to Apple.. much more than now...

we have unofficial information of Intel X4500HD in the coming Montevina but still that is not good enough for 3D games.

At least give us 128 MB dedicated... if not 256MB
I believe many of us will pay for it even sacrificing shorter battery life...

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
lack of dedicated graphic card in macbook is a mistake of Apple's business strategy.... I hope the engineers learn from their mistake and offer an option of dedicated graphic card in the coming Macbook Centrino 2.

we have unofficial information of Intel X4500HD in the coming Montevina but still that is not good enough for 3D games.

I definitely would not sacrifice battery life for that. I'm one of those people that actually takes my lap top off the desk. :D

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I just don't see Apple offering an option that reduces battery life, it would be anti innovative in my humble opinion. Oh hell, maybe Apple has already done this? :eek:

I don't understand why people believe dedicated GPUs will shorten battery life.

Modern dedicated mobile GPUs can clock down to 100MHz or lower, turn off dedicated memory if not needed, etc.

A modern dedicated GPU will, in all likelyhood, have better battery life than an integrated on the same system.

Even if the battery life argument was valid, anybody with a bit of sense would take a short loss in battery life in exchange for all of the capabilities that come along with a dedicated GPU. Like the ability to play games, MUCH better video quality, etc.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008

Yeah.

The X4500 which apparently is tied to the succesor after Penryn, called Montevina.

I heard it can have over 300 MB dedicated memory, and can utilise DDR3 Ram.

Is there many 13' inch notebooks with a dedicated GPU? How much would an Nvidia 800 Go series card cost?

I got a 8600m GT 512MB card in mine, and it takes crysis and world in conflict in medium settings, but seriously.. even though mine is only 15' its weight and battery life, makes it not like a laptop. then why did I got one if its portability sucks?

lets just say it like we want - We want incredible gaming power in a tiny 13 inch noteook and alot of us would pay insane prices if apple would provide the option for people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.