Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I’ve been reading posts on here about people being 90-100% with the iPad for home use. Aside from recreational tasks, how are you set up to achieve this? I have a Logitech keyboard and trackpad on my iPad Air, and the Pencil, and while it’s fine I do still find it more cumbersome than being on the Mac.

I’d like to use Sidecar more but haven’t really found much use for that either.

But as I’ve just ordered an iMac to replace my MBP, I’m very likely going to be forced into using the iPad more - so if anyone has tips on making it a better experience I will be all ears

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
It all depends on what you do. If you only need to do basic things like web browsing, paying bills, online banking, shopping, social media, music videos etc then an iPad with suffice.
My personal usage isn't far from that - I'm a writer and run my own business, which basically involves lots of email, web-based things like Trello etc.

Where I struggle with the iPad is it's just not as fluent for me. For instance on my Mac I have multiple desktops and I keep my email in a dedicated one so it's easy to get to. And the iPad still forces me into certain apps, like Google Docs can't be used on Safari, it forced me to download the Docs app separately. Likewise there are certain sites like Medium where it tries to send me to the app despite the fact it's more limited than the website.

There's not one thing that I can say the iPad is bad at, per se, but as an overall experience I find it clumsier and making more mental demands of me than the Mac

Reactions: bondr006

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
90% of what I used my personal laptop for was web surfing, watching videos, reading, shopping and online banking while in couch/bed. All of that, I can do on the iPad easily. I don’t even need an external keyboard+mouse/trackpad.

Actually, I hate clamshells and much prefer the tablet form factor. It’s why I bought an iPad in the first place (and some failed Windows UMPCs and convertibles experiments before that).

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
90% of what I used my personal laptop for was web surfing, watching videos, reading, shopping and online banking while in couch/bed. All of that, I can do on the iPad easily. I don’t even need an external keyboard+mouse/trackpad.

Actually, I hate clamshells and much prefer the tablet form factor. It’s why I bought an iPad in the first place (and some failed Windows UMPCs and convertibles experiments before that).
I really like holding the iPad without the keyboard and mouse too, but I really dislike typing on the screen keyboard unless I split it so it's under my thumbs

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And the iPad still forces me into certain apps, like Google Docs can't be used on Safari, it forced me to download the Docs app separately.

Works in Safari for me.

Granted, limited though they may be, I tend to prefer the Microsoft Office apps for iOS over Google Docs.

Google Docs.png

Reactions: Mackilroy

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Works in Safari for me.

Granted, limited though they may be, I tend to prefer the Microsoft Office apps for iOS over Google Docs.

View attachment 2016111
But does it let you edit? Literally the only reason I have the app installed is because it forced me to if I wanted to use the full functionality. If that's now been changed, I'll be extremely happy

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
But does it let you edit? Literally the only reason I have the app installed is because it forced me to if I wanted to use the full functionality. If that's now been changed, I'll be extremely happy

Yes, the above is the editing mode. It does recommend downloading the app but you can just cancel the prompt.

I don’t really use Google Docs but iirc, I got desktop versions of other Google websites (Gmail, YouTube) starting with iPadOS 13.

Reactions: Mackilroy

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Yes, the above is the editing mode. It does recommend downloading the app but you can just cancel the prompt.

I don’t really use Google Docs but iirc, I got desktop versions of other Google websites (Gmail, YouTube) starting with iPadOS 13.
Hmm that’s weird, I’m on the latest OS and always am so it can’t be that.

I’ll uninstall it and see what it says

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos and videos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow and has definitely made my work more fun.

Cloud storage is cheap nowadays, as is fast external storage. I got the M1 iPad Pro 11 with 256gb, but have 2TB iCloud+ for $10 month, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive. I also have 2TB of Google Drive storage for $10 a month. On top of that, I have a couple of external 1TB USB C SSD's, and a few USB 3.1 512GB flash drives. So, storage is not a problem. It easily runs any of the realty apps I need to use, so only 8gb ram is no problem. And, it has the same M1 processor the 1TB and up models have, so power is also not a problem.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. It fully protects my iPad front, back, and edges. I can take the keyboard off, and it is still protected, and has a fully adjustable stand. The typing experience is excellent, and the keyboard has a large, very responsive, click anywhere trackpad. And, one of the things I love most about it is, it has a full row of shortcut keys. I also bought a Logitech MX Anywhere 2s mouse, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Working with a product that you like to use is an important key in business. I work with contracts, forms, docs, take a huge amount of notes, sketch house dimensions, take pics and vids, communicate(messages and email), and do a bunch of scanning. The iPad also reduced the amount of hardware devices I needed, and condensed them all into on really portable device that actually makes my work more easy and convenient. No need for a dedicated camera or scanner anymore. Working with documents, pdf’s, contracts, and forms is so much easier for me. Editing, marking up, and then sending to clients is all done within the app, and reduces the amount of steps it takes to communicate. I also use it for handwritten and typed notes, daily planning, task management, to-do's, email, web browsing, phone calls, messages, entertainment, reading books, play an occasional game, and the list goes on.

I use a bunch of realty specific web apps and services but have a few others that I really like. For note management I use Notes, OneNote, and GoodNotes, and Noteful. I also use a Paperlike screen protector and my Apple Pencil 2 for a natural writing experience. For document management I use MS Office, and PDF Expert. For file management I use Files, iCloud+, FileBrowser, Tonido, OneDrive, and Google.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K, AirPod Pros, Apple Watch Series 6 44mm, iPhone 12 Pro Max 512GB, M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB, M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM/256GB SSD, 2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs. It is my main go to computer that does more, does it easier, does it faster, and does it in less steps. I really look forward to grabbing my iPad computer when I head out the door to work, and feel great relief that I don’t have to deal with a clunky and cumbersome laptop computer anymore. I will admit that iPad OS is still maturing but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings.

Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in Jan. 1994. In the almost 30 years I have been using Apple products, I have had to take only one one thing to the Genius Bar. My iPhone 5 had a bad battery in it, and they replaced the phone with no problem. Not bad for 30 years and dozens of Apple products.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos and videos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow and has definitely made my work more fun.

Cloud storage is cheap nowadays, as is fast external storage. I got the M1 iPad Pro 11 with 256gb, but have 2TB iCloud+ for $10 month, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive. I also have 2TB of Google Drive storage for $10 a month. On top of that, I have a couple of external 1TB USB C SSD's, and a few USB 3.1 512GB flash drives. So, storage is not a problem. It easily runs any of the realty apps I need to use, so only 8gb ram is no problem. And, it has the same M1 processor the 1TB and up models have, so power is also not a problem.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. It fully protects my iPad front, back, and edges. I can take the keyboard off, and it is still protected, and has a fully adjustable stand. The typing experience is excellent, and the keyboard has a large, very responsive, click anywhere trackpad. And, one of the things I love most about it is, it has a full row of shortcut keys. I also bought a Logitech MX Anywhere 2s mouse, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Working with a product that you like to use is an important key in business. I work with contracts, forms, docs, take a huge amount of notes, sketch house dimensions, take pics and vids, communicate(messages and email), and do a bunch of scanning. The iPad also reduced the amount of hardware devices I needed, and condensed them all into on really portable device that actually makes my work more easy and convenient. No need for a dedicated camera or scanner anymore. Working with documents, pdf’s, contracts, and forms is so much easier for me. Editing, marking up, and then sending to clients is all done within the app, and reduces the amount of steps it takes to communicate. I also use it for handwritten and typed notes, daily planning, task management, to-do's, email, web browsing, phone calls, messages, entertainment, reading books, play an occasional game, and the list goes on.

I use a bunch of realty specific web apps and services but have a few others that I really like.For note management I use Notes, OneNote, and GoodNotes, and Noteful. I also use a Paperlike screen protector and my Apple Pencil 2 for a natural writing experience. For document management I use MS Office, and PDF Expert. For file management I use Files, iCloud+, FileBrowser, Tonido, OneDrive, and Google.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K, AirPod Pros, Apple Watch Series 6 44mm, iPhone 12 Pro Max 512GB, M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB, M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM/256GB SSD, 2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs. It is my main go to computer that does more, does it easier, does it faster, and does it in less steps. I really look forward to grabbing my iPad computer when I head out the door to work, and feel great relief that I don’t have to deal with a clunky and cumbersome laptop computer anymore. I will admit that iPad OS is still maturing but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings.

Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in Jan. 1994. In the almost 30 years I have been using Apple products, I have had to take only one one thing to the Genius Bar. My iPhone 5 had a bad battery in it, and they replaced the phone with no problem. Not bad for 30 years and dozens of Apple products.
What an amazing testimonials, thanks for taking the time to write that up!

You’re inspiring me to make better use of mine, and perhaps a good starting point is daily task planning.

I also see benefit of using it for signing contracts - do you do that in Preview with Markup, or a dedicated service?

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
What an amazing testimonials, thanks for taking the time to write that up!

You’re inspiring me to make better use of mine, and perhaps a good starting point is daily task planning.

I also see benefit of using it for signing contracts - do you do that in Preview with Markup, or a dedicated service?
Thanks! And you are welcome! Apple can make me very passionate sometimes, and I am very passionate about my iPad Pro.

I use both. Preview and markup when just quick stuff is needed, and PDF Expert when lots of editing is needed.

As each day gets further from my MBP days, the more convinced I am that my decision to switch over to iPad is the right one for me. At my age, learning something new and then loving it was just icing on the cake.;)

Take a look in my signature at the "What You Can do With Your iPad" link.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Thanks! And you are welcome! Apple can make me very passionate sometimes, and I am very passionate about my iPad Pro.

I use both. Preview and markup when just quick stuff is needed, and PDF Expert when lots of editing is needed.

As each day gets further from my MBP days, the more convinced I am that my decision to switch over to iPad is the right one for me. At my age, learning something new and then loving it was just icing on the cake.;)

Take a look in my signature at the "What you can do with your ipad" link.
I’ll check out PDF Expert - I’m also a big Apple fan and aside from recently deciding to stop wearing the watch I’m on my second iPad, we only use Apple computers, and have the 4K TV, AirPods etc - I just don’t use the iPad to its full potential. Actually I recently designated it a music device so I’ve set it up with various apps for learning and improving my guitar playing so it has a dedicated purpose.

It might be because I’m on my phone but you don’t have a signature showing, do you have a link you can post?

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
I’ll check out PDF Expert - I’m also a big Apple fan and aside from recently deciding to stop wearing the watch I’m on my second iPad, we only use Apple computers, and have the 4K TV, AirPods etc - I just don’t use the iPad to its full potential. Actually I recently designated it a music device so I’ve set it up with various apps for learning and improving my guitar playing so it has a dedicated purpose.

It might be because I’m on my phone but you don’t have a signature showing, do you have a link you can post?
Yes I do!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m like 60% iPad Pro since 2018

10% work PC’s can’t avoid
20% Gaming PC at work and home
10% Phone

the rest all iPad Pro

Lol, if including work it’s more like 50/50 between PC and iPad for me.

Work: 90% PC (Excel, Access, proprietary company webapps, file and backup management), 10% iPad

Personal: 90% iPad, 10% PC

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
What do you use the Mini for? Can you go iPad only?
I'd like to but I like keeping local backups, so my Mac Mini is used as kind of a cloud storage hub. It has several terabytes of external storage hooked to it. I only got a 256gb iPP, so I keep most of my files, documents, photos and videos, etc. on the Mini and have full access to them by way of the Apple Files app, FileBrowser, and Tonido with my iPP no matter where I am. I can grab from the Mini or send to the Mini. I also have several terabytes of cloud storage with 2TB iCloud+, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive, and 2TB of Google Drive storage. In Real Estate you have to keep all records for at least 3 years, so redundant backup is good.

I also use my Mini as my entertainment device for music, YouTube, surfing the web, light stuff. I know it is backward from most folk, but yes, my iPP is majority business, with a little entertainment. My Mini is the opposite with a little business and majority consumption and entertainment. So, my iPP is on it's own (except for storage) for taking care of my Real Estate businesses.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My personal usage isn't far from that - I'm a writer and run my own business, which basically involves lots of email, web-based things like Trello etc.

Where I struggle with the iPad is it's just not as fluent for me. For instance on my Mac I have multiple desktops and I keep my email in a dedicated one so it's easy to get to. And the iPad still forces me into certain apps, like Google Docs can't be used on Safari, it forced me to download the Docs app separately. Likewise there are certain sites like Medium where it tries to send me to the app despite the fact it's more limited than the website.

There's not one thing that I can say the iPad is bad at, per se, but as an overall experience I find it clumsier and making more mental demands of me than the Mac
If you struggle to use the iPad in your work flow, that is a big red flag that either A) The iPad doesn't work for you and your needs, or B) You are tying to use it as other people do, which won't work well for you.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
If you struggle to use the iPad in your work flow, that is a big red flag that either A) The iPad doesn't work for you and your needs, or B) You are tying to use it as other people do, which won't work well for you.
I wouldn’t say I struggle, so much as the Mac still feels easier to me. But part of that might just be familiarity

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I was going by what you said. If struggle is not really the case, maybe you need to step out of your comfort zone and give the iPad an honest go, before making any determinations.
Yeah I definitely want to make better use of it. I think it’s one of those devices where there’s so much flexibility and everyone has their own ways of using it that it’s quite difficult to read up on how to get started with how to make the most use

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yeah I definitely want to make better use of it. I think it’s one of those devices where there’s so much flexibility and everyone has their own ways of using it that it’s quite difficult to read up on how to get started with how to make the most use
I use my 11" iPad Pro the most with the Magic Keyboard. I also have the Apple Pencil although I don't use it a lot. I find the Magic keyboard to be integral. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't use it as much and it would be relegated to couch or bed time peek use. I take my 12" MacBook to work a lot of the time and can move more seamlessly (and faster) with my Mac or at times my iPad, versus using the work Windows piece of crap computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.