Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I use my 11" iPad Pro the most with the Magic Keyboard. I also have the Apple Pencil although I don't use it a lot. I find the Magic keyboard to be integral. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't use it as much and it would be relegated to couch or bed time peek use. I take my 12" MacBook to work a lot of the time and can move more seamlessly (and faster) with my Mac or at times my iPad, versus using the work Windows piece of crap computer.
Same, I bought a keyboard to make it more powerful. I have found myself writing articles etc on it, which would be almost impossible without it

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
It all depends on what you do. If you only need to do basic things like web browsing, paying bills, online banking, shopping, social media, music videos etc then an iPad will suffice.
I disagree with this, you can already do things like diagramming and brainstorming with omnigraffle, Mira and mind node. Read and annotate PDFs with liquid text. I do a fair amount of writing on iPad as well. The Magic Keyboard is great because it is so fast to place the iPad into it and pull it out again to quickly go from pencil and touch to typing and back again.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Lol, if including work it’s more like 50/50 between PC and iPad for me.

Work: 90% PC (Excel, Access, proprietary company webapps, file and backup management), 10% iPad

Personal: 90% iPad, 10% PC
Similar for me: Work 60% Mac (Xcode - things that Swift Playgrounds just cant do mostly since I am doing a lot of UIKit and working with large datasets that eat 32 GB of memory easily) and 40% iPad for research, diagramming and brainstorming
Personal: 80% iPad, 18% iPhone, maybe 2% PC for StarCraft II

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Yeah I definitely want to make better use of it. I think it’s one of those devices where there’s so much flexibility and everyone has their own ways of using it that it’s quite difficult to read up on how to get started with how to make the most use
Definitely! Best use of it, like other lifestyle devises and tools, is what it helps you most with. There are so many things that the iPad can do that the list is far too large to post here. Entertainment, information and education, content creation, photo editing, creating and working with docs, pdf's, presentations, and you have seen the list in my signature. I find my iPad Pro more enjoyable and fun to use than a laptop, and a lot more versatile and less cumbersome. Give your iPA time and attention and keep hanging out here. Hopefully you will come to appreciate what your iPad can do for you.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Definitely! Best use of it, like other lifestyle devises and tools, is what it helps you most with. There are so many things that the iPad can do that the list far too large to post here. Entertainment, information and education, content creation, photo editing, creating and working with docs, pdf's, presentations, and you have seen the list in my signature. I find my iPad Pro more enjoyable and fun to use than a laptop, and a lot more versatile and less cumbersome. Give your iPA time and attention and keep hanging out here. Hopefully you will come to appreciate what your iPad can do for you.
Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for content creation and brainstorming?

Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for content creation and brainstorming?
There are a lot of YouTubers out there, and a lot of YouTube videos that talk about content creation. About the only content creation I do is photo, video, dialog, and posting to the local Multiple Listing Service. I am also a property manager which keeps me busy enough, besides taking care of my own home. Look up some content creation videos on YouTube. There are really a ton.

Brainstorming for me is submersing myself in the search of ways that best help me help my clients. A lot of communication with my partner in realty, colleagues, and of course, my client. Brainstorming is for no other purpose than to collect information, share ideas, and apply all means to best serve the client.

Reactions: sracer and Webcat86

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
My personal usage isn't far from that - I'm a writer and run my own business, which basically involves lots of email, web-based things like Trello etc.

Where I struggle with the iPad is it's just not as fluent for me. For instance on my Mac I have multiple desktops and I keep my email in a dedicated one so it's easy to get to. And the iPad still forces me into certain apps, like Google Docs can't be used on Safari, it forced me to download the Docs app separately. Likewise there are certain sites like Medium where it tries to send me to the app despite the fact it's more limited than the website.

There's not one thing that I can say the iPad is bad at, per se, but as an overall experience I find it clumsier and making more mental demands of me than the Mac
Unfortunately, that’s a real problem with the iPad life, web developers and app developers underestimating it. (And gosh darn it, Google, Google Docs totally works in mobile Safari if you trick it using user agent spoofing. Google Docs isn’t that sophisticated.)

And I can understand being less fluent in it than the Mac. I consider myself pretty fluent in both and find the iPad less… demanding to use. It’s not that I don’t like to tinker with computer software, it’s just that I’ve gotten to that point in my life where I want at least my main device to just work. Tinkering is for the side projects, like a Raspberry Pi. It’s just that the temptation to go down a rabbit hole of tinkering is greater for me on a Mac than it is on an iPad.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I disagree with this, you can already do things like diagramming and brainstorming with omnigraffle, Mira and mind node. Read and annotate PDFs with liquid text. I do a fair amount of writing on iPad as well. The Magic Keyboard is great because it is so fast to place the iPad into it and pull it out again to quickly go from pencil and touch to typing and back again.
I’ll second Mind Node and OmniGraffle. I feel like OmniGroup (the company that makes OmniGraffle) are some of the most serious iPad developers, when it comes to matching the power of their macOS applications. And Mind Node is just such an easy mind mapping software package to use. I tried so many on the Mac back in the day, and Mind Node was just so effortless to use. When it came out for iOS, I was pretty excited about it. I don’t often have reason to use it these days, but I’ll still recommend it highly.

Speaking of OmniGroup, I need to get back into using OmniFocus regularly. I know I’ll need to do a sizable brain dump, and I guess I’ve just been resisting. But I also feel like my life is simpler, or at least that I have fewer balls that I’m juggling, since I graduated from school. (Which is also about the time I stopped regularly using OmniFocus, oddly enough.)

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Love my M1 iPad Pro 11. I am a Realtor and Property Manager, and my iPad Pro has completely replaced my MacBook Pro as my business device. The iPad Pro is literally the perfect computer for what I do.

It was an easy decision for me to get rid of my 2019 MacBook Pro(hated the dang ribbon bar). I got the new M1 Mac Mini with 16gb ram for desktop, and a new M1 iPad Pro 11 for my mobile needs. I chose the 11” because the screen is big enough for doing work on, but still super portable. Paid less for the two of them together than I did for just my MBP. It's the perfect setup for me. I create and work with contracts, pdf's, and documents on a daily basis. It is so much easier, convenient, and more intuitive to use the iPad for the work I do. In fact, I would go so far as to say, in my opinion the laptop is limiting and cumbersome compared to the iPad Pro for the type of work I do. Jeeze, even the camera on it is good enough to use for most of the photos and videos I need for a property listing. It streamlined my workflow and has definitely made my work more fun.

Cloud storage is cheap nowadays, as is fast external storage. I got the M1 iPad Pro 11 with 256gb, but have 2TB iCloud+ for $10 month, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive. I also have 2TB of Google Drive storage for $10 a month. On top of that, I have a couple of external 1TB USB C SSD's, and a few USB 3.1 512GB flash drives. So, storage is not a problem. It easily runs any of the realty apps I need to use, so only 8gb ram is no problem. And, it has the same M1 processor the 1TB and up models have, so power is also not a problem.

Don't have the magic keyboard but bought the Logitech Combo Touch and I love it. It fully protects my iPad front, back, and edges. I can take the keyboard off, and it is still protected, and has a fully adjustable stand. The typing experience is excellent, and the keyboard has a large, very responsive, click anywhere trackpad. And, one of the things I love most about it is, it has a full row of shortcut keys. I also bought a Logitech MX Anywhere 2s mouse, and an Apple Pencil 2, both of which are the best. I have a few choices for carry. First, is a small traditional laptop case with many zippered compartments. Second is a nice REI sling bag with lots of pockets and storage. Last is a small REI backpack with even more pockets and storage than the sling. I can carry all the accessories I need with any of my carry choices.

Working with a product that you like to use is an important key in business. I work with contracts, forms, docs, take a huge amount of notes, sketch house dimensions, take pics and vids, communicate(messages and email), and do a bunch of scanning. The iPad also reduced the amount of hardware devices I needed, and condensed them all into on really portable device that actually makes my work more easy and convenient. No need for a dedicated camera or scanner anymore. Working with documents, pdf’s, contracts, and forms is so much easier for me. Editing, marking up, and then sending to clients is all done within the app, and reduces the amount of steps it takes to communicate. I also use it for handwritten and typed notes, daily planning, task management, to-do's, email, web browsing, phone calls, messages, entertainment, reading books, play an occasional game, and the list goes on.

I use a bunch of realty specific web apps and services but have a few others that I really like. For note management I use Notes, OneNote, and GoodNotes, and Noteful. I also use a Paperlike screen protector and my Apple Pencil 2 for a natural writing experience. For document management I use MS Office, and PDF Expert. For file management I use Files, iCloud+, FileBrowser, Tonido, OneDrive, and Google.

Now that I have used the iPad Pro for work, there is no going back to a laptop. The Apple ecosystem is the best. Everything just talks and works with each other seamlessly. As of right now, I have the Apple TV 4K, AirPod Pros, Apple Watch Series 6 44mm, iPhone 12 Pro Max 512GB, M1 iPad Pro 11 256GB, M1 Mac Mini 16GB RAM/256GB SSD, 2019 intel i9 2.3ghz 16gb 512gb 16" MacBook Pro(sold).

Really cool having an all in one that’s easy to use and light to carry for your business and personal needs. It is my main go to computer that does more, does it easier, does it faster, and does it in less steps. I really look forward to grabbing my iPad computer when I head out the door to work, and feel great relief that I don’t have to deal with a clunky and cumbersome laptop computer anymore. I will admit that iPad OS is still maturing but has certainly come a long way from its humble beginnings.

Been using Apple products since the mid 90’s. My first Apple computer was a Macintosh Color Classic in Jan. 1994. In the almost 30 years I have been using Apple products, I have had to take only one one thing to the Genius Bar. My iPhone 5 had a bad battery in it, and they replaced the phone with no problem. Not bad for 30 years and dozens of Apple products.
So, if you can do all of the work that you listed on the iPad, which is very impressive btw, then why do you need the Mac Mini?

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
So, if you can do all of the work that you listed on the iPad, which is very impressive btw, then why do you need the Mac Mini?
I can’t speak for him, but I’ve noticed that a lot of people tend to go desktop only when they go iPad only. They use a desktop, usually a Mac mini, for the sorts of things that absolutely require a desktop (and a desktop over a laptop because the iPad does everything they need “in the field” so to speak). I’d imagine that, as a realtor, he has a lot of important legal files he needs to retain local copies of, and that could be part of it.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Unfortunately, that’s a real problem with the iPad life, web developers and app developers underestimating it. (And gosh darn it, Google, Google Docs totally works in mobile Safari if you trick it using user agent spoofing. Google Docs isn’t that sophisticated.)

And I can understand being less fluent in it than the Mac. I consider myself pretty fluent in both and find the iPad less… demanding to use. It’s not that I don’t like to tinker with computer software, it’s just that I’ve gotten to that point in my life where I want at least my main device to just work. Tinkering is for the side projects, like a Raspberry Pi. It’s just that the temptation to go down a rabbit hole of tinkering is greater for me on a Mac than it is on an iPad.
Totally, I’m waaaay underusing the Mac for tinkering, automation, scripts etc. It’s just easier to do certain things.

I ran into a good example of it last night. iOS and iPadOS will let you create new photo folders, and will let you add photos to those folders. But they seemingly won’t let you add existing albums to a folder. So on the iPad, as far as I could tell, I have to make a new folder and then it lets you find an album to copy the photos, but then you have two versions of the album and need to delete one.

But on MacOS you create a folder and literally drag an album into it

Reactions: kc9hzn

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I'd like to but I like keeping local backups, so my Mac Mini is used as kind of a cloud storage hub. It has several terabytes of external storage hooked to it. I only got a 256gb iPP, so I keep most of my files, documents, photos and videos, etc. on the Mini and have full access to them by way of the Apple Files app, FileBrowser, and Tonido with my iPP no matter where I am. I can grab from the Mini or send to the Mini. I also have several terabytes of cloud storage with 2TB iCloud+, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive, and 2TB of Google Drive storage. In Real Estate you have to keep all records for at least 3 years, so redundant backup is good.

I also use my Mini as my entertainment device for music, YouTube, surfing the web, light stuff. I know it is backward from most folk, but yes, my iPP is majority business, with a little entertainment. My Mini is the opposite with a little business and majority consumption and entertainment. So, my iPP is on it's own (except for storage) for taking care of my Real Estate businesses.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
I’ve been reading posts on here about people being 90-100% with the iPad for home use. Aside from recreational tasks, how are you set up to achieve this? I have a Logitech keyboard and trackpad on my iPad Air, and the Pencil, and while it’s fine I do still find it more cumbersome than being on the Mac.

I’d like to use Sidecar more but haven’t really found much use for that either.

But as I’ve just ordered an iMac to replace my MBP, I’m very likely going to be forced into using the iPad more - so if anyone has tips on making it a better experience I will be all ears
I do lot of Affiity Designer / Photo in it, then there is Word and Excel I use a lot too.

I do not have a Keyboard, I feel it tricks your mind in wanting to do thing the "laptop way" and for me it's what makes people frustrated with the iPad.

If you try to adapt your workflow to the "iPad way" you will struggle a bit more at the beginning but then it'll work out for the better.

I occasionally use a BT keyboard when i neet to type a lot, but it's not that often.

I think the first thing to do is find the right app for the task you need, I also use FTP manager to work on websites and PDF expert for my PDF needs.

iPad only is achievable, but not for everyone or everyone's needs.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I do lot of Affiity Designer / Photo in it, then there is Word and Excel I use a lot too.

I do not have a Keyboard, I feel it tricks your mind in wanting to do thing the "laptop way" and for me it's what makes people frustrated with the iPad.

If you try to adapt your workflow to the "iPad way" you will struggle a bit more at the beginning but then it'll work out for the better.

I occasionally use a BT keyboard when i neet to type a lot, but it's not that often.

I think the first thing to do is find the right app for the task you need, I also use FTP manager to work on websites and PDF expert for my PDF needs.

iPad only is achievable, but not for everyone or everyone's needs.
So you use Word with the on-screen keyboard? I definitely find the physical keyboard makes iPad more enjoyable for me.

What sort of web work do you do with it? I assume it’s not great for actual web design?

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
98%…team meetings are more comfortable on MBA and no Transmission. those are the only two scenarios that bring me back to the laptop.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, but you really don’t need a Mac Mini to do all that. You could likely do all of that with a NAS. But then again, each to their own.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
I explained that in post #20 to @mystery hill but here it is again...;)

I'd like to but I like keeping local backups, so my Mac Mini is used as kind of a cloud storage hub. It has several terabytes of external storage hooked to it. I only got a 256gb iPP, so I keep most of my files, documents, photos and videos, etc. on the Mini and have full access to them by way of the Apple Files app, FileBrowser, and Tonido with my iPP no matter where I am. I can grab from the Mini or send to the Mini. I also have several terabytes of cloud storage with 2TB iCloud+, 1TB of cloud storage with MS Office 365 and OneDrive, and 2TB of Google Drive storage. In Real Estate you have to keep all records for at least 3 years, so redundant backup is good.

I also use my Mini as my entertainment device for music, YouTube, surfing the web, light stuff. I know it is backward from most folk, but yes, my iPP is majority business, with a little entertainment. My Mini is the opposite with a little business and majority consumption and entertainment. So, my iPP is on it's own (except for storage) for taking care of my Real Estate businesses.

Reactions: Abazigal

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
So you use Word with the on-screen keyboard? I definitely find the physical keyboard makes iPad more enjoyable for me.

What sort of web work do you do with it? I assume it’s not great for actual web design?
I do use a BT keyboard when i need to type for an extended period of time, I mean virtual keyboard is fine for small task but not for prolonged users (I am not a fool :p ).

I do design website, mostly with CMS nowadays, wich is perfectly achievable since pretty much everything is done in the browser, then i design on Affinity and import into the hosting space trough FTP Maanger.

As i said, it is not for everyone, for me it works, perfectly achievable with amazing result, what I had to do is stop pretending it is a laptop and start using it as iOS instead of Mac OS.

There are still many limitation to other workflows, for mine it took time to readapt but it is perfectly fine and while there is a lot of room for improvement, it is satisfactory as it is.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
I do use my Logitech combo touch often, but the Apple Pencil 2 gets the most use. That may even out a bit more now that we finally have full external monitor support. I use a folio case most of the time I am out.

IMG_9751.jpg
IMG_8418.jpg
IMG_0722.PNG

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
I do use my Logitech combo touch often, but the Apple Pencil 2 gets the most use. That may even out a bit more now that we finally have full external monitor support. I use a folio case most of the time I am out.

View attachment 2016652 View attachment 2016636
I have that Logitech too, it’s great. My only criticism is that when it’s folded to use the iPad in portrait mode, the keyboard is exposed on the back.

Do you swap it for the folio case or does it stay in the Logitech?

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
I have that Logitech too, it’s great. My only criticism is that when it’s folded to use the iPad in portrait mode, the keyboard is exposed on the back.

Do you swap it for the folio case or does it stay in the Logitech?
For the most part when I am out in the field, I have it in the folio case. I use the LCT for typing at home, library, or coffee shop.

Reactions: Webcat86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.