Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don’t the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max both use OLED? The smaller battery in the 11 Pro is fine, the smaller screen would also be fine for me at this point. I’ve gone for huge screens and find the smaller screen a bit if a relief. I don’t do a ton of video consumption on my phone and I do t really do social media at all.

Right, although You mentioned the bezels are ‘tough for you to accept‘, that’s why my comment was regarded to the SE in your above post.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have an 11 Pro and bought an SE for my son at launch. I used his for a day and while it is an awesome phone I couldn’t get from the OLED screen to the screen quality on the SE. Am I the only one with that issue? Touch ID was nice though

I have an 11 Pro also. While I love the idea of a smaller phone, I know I would not be as happy with the screen on the SE after using the larger and sharper OLED display on my 11 Pro. I have to keep reminding myself of that when I think about ordering a white SE.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Well after two weeks now I have no regrets selling my 11 to max for the SE. SE is fast. The screen difference is a non issue for me. Battery life lasts me all day as I charge every night anyways.

It’s refreshing to have a smaller device again. I do use my iPad mini 5 a lot though so that’s the difference for me as I have another option for use.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Well after two weeks now I have no regrets selling my 11 to max for the SE. SE is fast. The screen difference is a non issue for me. Battery life lasts me all day as I charge every night anyways.

It’s refreshing to have a smaller device again. I do use my iPad mini 5 a lot though so that’s the difference for me as I have another option for use.

I completely agree. I love having a small device to carry with me and I have an iPad to do larger tasks at home. I’m happy with my decision for sure.

ckip10

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2013
Lincoln, Alabama
I’ve been considering going smaller, but from an 11 Pro Max to an 11 Pro. The bezels of the SE are tough for me to accept. My wife’s uses an S20 and using her phone really makes me like the smaller form factor (I dislike the actual phone though).
This is the move I made. The Max was just too big, and I'm 6'4" with big hands. I much prefer the 11 Pro size but could not go to an SE due to the screen quality difference. Just me, others may vary.

Mikeyt1818

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2020
Coral Springs, Florida
I am so thrilled using the SE since launch 2 weeks ago. Still enjoying power walks with a phone that is hardly noticeable in my pocket. That 11 was just too big for one handed use for me and the weight in my pocket was always irritating me. My wife had to return hers as she prefers her 11 Pro screen despite liking the SE form factor better. Battery could be a tad better but I’m always surrounded by chargers anyway. No regrets at all!

Reactions: HYPOKON2000

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I love the thing.

Feels economical (because it is), and practical for me (because it is, Touch ID and melting in my pocket compared to XR)

and I'm using and appreciating my mini 5 more which I already liked.

I'm an SE fan. 1 and 2. How big the gap is between generations makes it a wise 'investment' too, if one can call a smartphone such a thing.

Does that $50 64 to 128 leap sweet spot thing, vs. $150 64 to 256 Pro forced by hand move, too.

verito81

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2018
We still have an old SE1 kicking around, nearly impossible to text on. Can’t believe I had a 5S for 2 years..

the new SE is bigger in size anyways i had it too the se and now i have the 7 that is a little bigger and this is the perfect size at least for me

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
Two weeks in and still happy with my decision to move to the 2020 SE from the 11 Pro Max. When it comes down to it I did it for the significant money savings but I’m finding I like the small form factor more and more. I’ve even knocked down my iPhone storage to 17GB and iCloud storage to 3.5GB getting rid of so many things I didn’t need from 11 years of iPhone accumulation.

I’m even experimenting with leaving cellular data off most of the time and trying to keep my data usage below 1GB a month. I believe with the 1GB on my personal phone and 2GB on my work phone I’ll be just fine with when I actually need cellular data for maps and it’s coming with significant savings on my cell phone bill.

Reactions: badatusernames

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Two weeks in and still happy with my decision to move to the 2020 SE from the 11 Pro Max. When it comes down to it I did it for the significant money savings but I’m finding I like the small form factor more and more. I’ve even knocked down my iPhone storage to 17GB and iCloud storage to 3.5GB getting rid of so many things I didn’t need from 11 years of iPhone accumulation.

I’m even experimenting with leaving cellular data off most of the time and trying to keep my data usage below 1GB a month. I believe with the 1GB on my personal phone and 2GB on my work phone I’ll be just fine with when I actually need cellular data for maps and it’s coming with significant savings on my cell phone bill.

I keep holding my grandma’s iP7 and am like wow.. it’s so light. For my tiny girly hands, it fits perfectly. I have the 11 Pro now and I hate how heavy it is in when I put it in my pockets. i love the screen real estate on the 11 Pro and the battery life, so I’ve been thinking back and forth on which one I want. Still haven’t made up my mind yet. I’ve come to realize, the older I get, and although I’m a tech junkie, I don’t need my phone for anything more than calls, texts social media apps and that’s pretty much it. Also, the one thing that would be so nice with the SE is I can get a 128 and save music to my heart’s content.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018

Nice to see folks economizing.

Reactions: dms_91

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
No one would ever say I have big hands for a guy, but I don’t see how anyone can reliably type on a phone that’s the size of the new se. I know up until the iPhone 6+, hundreds of millions of us did it. I just don’t know how I could go back to that feeling, when even the iPhone 11 felt more narrow than the 8+ I’m used to. The feeling in hand is definitely awesome on the se, but I just type way too much to ever be able to reliably use it.

Yes like you said hundreds of millions of us did and most did it well as least I did with no problem.

Reactions: munishp

gentleman00

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
I had the iPhone 6 for three years until 2017 when I switched over to the Samsung Note 8. The phone is too big. I am interested in the SE, but at the same time, I am looking into the iPhone 12 Pro Max, which is ironically larger than the Note 8. My dilemma is this: I am paying over $100 a month for a phone plan, why would I downgrade to a smaller screen size?

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
I picked up a 2020 SE to replace my iPhone X and haven’t regretted it. It took me a few days to get used to the home button again but the SE has been better in many ways.
I was surprised the photo quality just blew away the iPhone X, even in low light. Only downside is no telephoto lens relative to the X. The size, weight is nicer than iPhone X. The phone is noticeably faster with the A13 chip. The real sweetener for me was that I could combine my personal phone and work phone with the dual sim capabilities so don’t need to carry around 2 phones.

The only downsides for me is the lack of telephoto and the smaller screen of the SE. I sometimes miss Face ID but prefer Touch ID to Face ID in many instances so not a big deal for me.

Many have complaints about battery life and it’s not amazing but it’s not terrible either. Generally lasts me a full day but on heavy usage days may need a top up around 7pm. It’s certainly better than my iPhone X had whose battery health had declined and needed servicing.
All said I’ve been incredibly happy with it and haven’t missed the flagship phone experience at all.

Reactions: GlenK and xpxp2002

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I picked up a 2020 SE to replace my iPhone X and haven’t regretted it. It took me a few days to get used to the home button again but the SE has been better in many ways.
I was surprised the photo quality just blew away the iPhone X, even in low light. Only downside is no telephoto lens relative to the X. The size, weight is nicer than iPhone X. The phone is noticeably faster with the A13 chip. The real sweetener for me was that I could combine my personal phone and work phone with the dual sim capabilities so don’t need to carry around 2 phones.

The only downsides for me is the lack of telephoto and the smaller screen of the SE. I sometimes miss Face ID but prefer Touch ID to Face ID in many instances so not a big deal for me.

Many have complaints about battery life and it’s not amazing but it’s not terrible either. Generally lasts me a full day but on heavy usage days may need a top up around 7pm. It’s certainly better than my iPhone X had whose battery health had declined and needed servicing.
All said I’ve been incredibly happy with it and haven’t missed the flagship phone experience at all.

When I had the SE2020 I was mostly on cellular data during the work day. I used a lot of apps that are battery draining and stream a lot. Since I was on cellular I would have to charge my SE2020 at least 2x during an 8 hour work day. That has a lot to do being on cellular not WiFi.

I have the 12P right now and the battery is A LOT better for obvious reasons. At about 7 hours into my 8 hour work day I’m usually at 10% battery on cellular data. What I like about the 12P is that I can fast charge at the end of the day for about an hour and it will charge to 90%’ish give or take. Then when I go to bed charge overnight.

I actually have to get a routine with the better battery life because I’m not used to it. I’m out and about on my job and the last hour I go back to the facility and do some paper work and that’s when I’ve been fast charging. I would rather charge my phone when it gets down to 50% but don’t have access to wall plugs. I’m looking into the Anker power core slim 10,000 pd power bank that is a fast charging power bank. I can charge my phone when it gets to around 50% in my work vehicle. I could find a wall outlet in a building on campus by that would be inconvenient because I would have to wait until the battery gets to a decent % although the fast charge is super fast. The power back will work.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Any thoughts about likely usable life of the SE 2020 vs 12 mini? My daughter has an OG SE 16GB and while she is frustrated with the lack of space, I’m even more frustrated being ‘IT support Dad’ and can’t free up enough of the ‘other’. So it needs replacing for Christmas.

12/mini feels like it’d last longer with 4GB and latest chip, but A13 and 3GB is only a little behind. With the SE being out this year you’d probably think they’d both last 4-5 years easily?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.