Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motm95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
I am thinking about getting a used iPhone 7 Plus for my youngest son - how much longer do you all think Apple will provide iOS upgrades for this model? I can go up to the 8 Plus but not sure I want to spend the extra cash at this point. TIA.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
iPhone 7 and 7+ will get for sure iOS 15, probably will be launched in September 2021. So you will get at least 2 years from now of full software support.
Once iOS 16 will be out, iPhone 7 would probably be not compatible but if there is any security/exploit issue, Apple will update older iOS version (for sure at least iOS 15) too just to patch any major security breach.

So in short, from just a pure software perspective, you will be 100% perfect until Sept 2022 and then if you don't get iOS 16 you will get only update on iOS 15 for security issues. In real world use, that mean probably at least 3 years from now before some apps starts being unoptimised or not working on your iPhone 7+.

It can be a good device to start at a very competitive price in iOS ecosystem. If you choose an used device, do not hesitate to replace the battery if it is used.

If you have a bit more budget, an SE 2020 could be a very good choice and you can be sure it will works fine for 5 years.

Reactions: motm95

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Nobody can but guess. My guess is 1-2 years before no further iOS versions will be compatible. But really just a guess.

The mentioned 8+ and current SE are also good starter options.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It's not like an iPhone is unusable the day it can't be upgrade to the next iOS version. Based on past history, an iPhone will be able to do everything for at least three years after its been cut off. For example, there's millions of iPhones out in the wild right now running iOS 11 with no problems

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
It's not like an iPhone is unusable the day it can't be upgrade to the next iOS version. Based on past history, an iPhone will be able to do everything for at least three years after its been cut off. For example, there's millions of iPhones out in the wild right now running iOS 11 with no problems

But iOS 11 wasn’t the final version for any devices

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Avoid the iPhone 7 series, they are full of issues that creep up once they’re out of warranty.

If you’re worried about long term support, get him an iPhone SE. If you have ATT or Verizon, you can get one through Walmart’s website for $199

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I second the suggestion of a SE through the Walmart deal if you’re on Verizon or AT&T. A 2020 SE for $200 with no strings attached is the best deal in smartphones right now.

TheRoadRunner

Suspended
Oct 7, 2020
United Kingdom
I would say the 7 would get at least iOS 15 maybe 16 as well. I would suggest getting an iPhone SE 2nd generation for future proofing although there isn’t a plus version. As someone has mentioned previously the phone will still work perfectly fine after it doesn’t get updates so the 7 plus is still a good purchase at the moment.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
iPhone 7 and 7+ will get for sure iOS 15, probably will be launched in September 2021. So you will get at least 2 years from now of full software support.
Once iOS 16 will be out, iPhone 7 would probably be not compatible but if there is any security/exploit issue, Apple will update older iOS version (for sure at least iOS 15) too just to patch any major security breach.

If you have a bit more budget, an SE 2020 could be a very good choice and you can be sure it will works fine for 5 years.

Considering Apple sells new devices with A10 chip in 2019 (last gen 9.7" iPad and iPod Touch) along with A10X products, I would bet that the 7 will still get iOS 16. It's probably too slow and too old by that time, but the option is there, and we should appreciate it.

iPhone SE is a great option with (so far) the latest chip, but it lacks the 5.5" option. If Apple sells SE+ it would be a killer deal for me.

Reactions: motm95 and Lwii2boo

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
My daily phone is an iPhone 7Plus. I expect 1-2 more years. Also, I have never had a problem with mine. I bought a thin Speck case for it and cheap glass screen protectors. The glasswork screen protectors broke a number of times but the actual screen is untouched. I'm happy with it. :)

Reactions: JoeShades

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
My daily phone is an iPhone 7Plus. I expect 1-2 more years. Also, I have never had a problem with mine. I bought a thin Speck case for it and cheap glass screen protectors. The glasswork screen protectors broke a number of times but the actual screen is untouched. I'm happy with it. :)
Hello

Do you still have your iphone 7+? What OS is it on and how is it thus far from last year.

I have a iphone 7 plus but running ios 10 hence the question.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Hello

Do you still have your iphone 7+? What OS is it on and how is it thus far from last year.

I have a iphone 7 plus but running ios 10 hence the question.
Currently on iOS 15.0. Safari seems a bit faster than in iOS14. And no noticeable issues. I did replace the battery during the battery fiasco. I thought about replacing it again but it is at 85% health.
I had thought about upgrading to the iPhone 13 but I can't really see a huge reason to do so beyond speed (and maybe camera). And as they say every year, "next year will be a big change."

Last edited:
Reactions: Lapsaj

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
Currently on iOS 15.0. Safari seems a bit faster than in iOS14. But no noticeable issues.
I had thought about upgrading to the iPhone 13 but I can't really see a huge reason to do so beyond speed (and maybe camera). And as they say every year, "next year will be a big change."
Thank you for replying back.

For me stability is a concern over speed especially on older devices. I know it will never be as fast as it was out of the box. I don't mind it taking a second extra to load something as long as its stable.

I don't upgrade every year. I will only get a new phone when the old one becomes unuseable. I believe the iphone 7 plus has around 4 years of life left maybe more. Depends on app support etc.

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I've been considering updating too from 14.8 but outside of a few minor issues, mainly being battery life I'm happy for now, I think I can get another year out of this. Maybe after 15 gets more mature I might update.

Reactions: Lapsaj

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
My iPhone 7+ is running iOS 15 well but seems to be eating the battery faster than iOS 14. I’ve let it settle for a few days before making this assessment. I just upgraded the wife from a iPhone 6S to iPhone 13 Pro and there is no comparison between the 7 and the 13 when it comes to battery life (or anything else for that matter, other than Touch ID because of COVID). Most likely will have to upgrade my 7+ next year when the iPhone 14 comes out. Wanted to hold out until iPhone 15 but the wife’s 13 is putting my 7+ to shame and is really making me want to upgrade. Both the 6S and 7+ were purchased new when it launched and have had their batteries changed (by moi) so they’ve served us well and is a testament on how superior Apple products are compared to Android (I had a Nexus 6P and was all Android before that).

Dextux

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
My iPhone 7+ is running iOS 15 well but seems to be eating the battery faster than iOS 14. I’ve let it settle for a few days before making this assessment. I just upgraded the wife from a iPhone 6S to iPhone 13 Pro and there is no comparison between the 7 and the 13 when it comes to battery life (or anything else for that matter, other than Touch ID because of COVID). Most likely will have to upgrade my 7+ next year when the iPhone 14 comes out. Wanted to hold out until iPhone 15 but the wife’s 13 is putting my 7+ to shame and is really making me want to upgrade. Both the 6S and 7+ were purchased new when it launched and have had their batteries changed (by moi) so they’ve served us well and is a testament on how superior Apple products are compared to Android (I had a Nexus 6P and was all Android before that).
Just replaced my launch day 6s plus with a 13 pro max. The back camera focus has been broken for two years and the battery was replaced once, however it is pretty incredible the phone lasted a good 6 years and still running the latest iOS. No way anyone could say that with Android.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I am hoping for A return to touch ID, that is a must for me now

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Happy to see a lot of you is still holding onto the 7+, I used to upgrade every 1-2 but my 7+ has been so good I pretty much keep it around until now. I dropped this on concrete like 30 times. Having said that the battery has been replaced once and it's dying again.

Games are a bit slow, so depending whether or not the OP wants the son to play games on their phones or not. I can't really use it to play games anymore but everything else is ok.

CMIIW but I think iPhone is guaranteed for software updates for 5 years? So I think it'll probably be good for another year.

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
I've been considering updating too from 14.8 but outside of a few minor issues, mainly being battery life I'm happy for now, I think I can get another year out of this. Maybe after 15 gets more mature I might update.
How is 14.8 running on your iphone? Is it stable? Any lags?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.