Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
My iPhone 7+ is running iOS 15 well but seems to be eating the battery faster than iOS 14. I’ve let it settle for a few days before making this assessment. I just upgraded the wife from a iPhone 6S to iPhone 13 Pro and there is no comparison between the 7 and the 13 when it comes to battery life (or anything else for that matter, other than Touch ID because of COVID). Most likely will have to upgrade my 7+ next year when the iPhone 14 comes out. Wanted to hold out until iPhone 15 but the wife’s 13 is putting my 7+ to shame and is really making me want to upgrade. Both the 6S and 7+ were purchased new when it launched and have had their batteries changed (by moi) so they’ve served us well and is a testament on how superior Apple products are compared to Android (I had a Nexus 6P and was all Android before that).
I have heard the phone software re-indexes itself or adjusts to the phone, apps, space etc. So it might run fine after a week or so.

I believe that support for iOS14 will be here post iOS 15. I am curious to see if it is supported in iOS 16. I suspect it might be.

Apple are probably praying the iphone 7/8 plus's suddenly stop working as I think they are still widely used.

iTouch is so good. I hate that notch and face id.

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
Happy to see a lot of you is still holding onto the 7+, I used to upgrade every 1-2 but my 7+ has been so good I pretty much keep it around until now. I dropped this on concrete like 30 times. Having said that the battery has been replaced once and it's dying again.

Games are a bit slow, so depending whether or not the OP wants the son to play games on their phones or not. I can't really use it to play games anymore but everything else is ok.

CMIIW but I think iPhone is guaranteed for software updates for 5 years? So I think it'll probably be good for another year.

I shall be using the iphone 7+ until it breaks or is no longer supported. Like my iPhone 5 which has iOS10 and is snappy tbh.

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
How is 14.8 running on your iphone? Is it stable? Any lags?

It's actually been running pretty well, only lag I seem to get is either scrolling in my queue in music, or when using the amazon app it cuts my audio for whatever reason. I'd say go for it unless you have any major apprehensions about it, pretty much all the bugs are ironed out for me.

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
It's actually been running pretty well, only lag I seem to get is either scrolling in my queue in music, or when using the amazon app it cuts my audio for whatever reason. I'd say go for it unless you have any major apprehensions about it, pretty much all the bugs are ironed out for me.
Thank you for your reply. Only thing is I have some apps on my phone which will no longer work on iOS14.8 or anything above iOS10.

I am finding alternatives, problem is the devlopers don't exist anymore on the app store lol

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Can't answer for last question but 14.8 on 6s is a disaster as battery is concerned. No lags, no nothing but battery last now between 3-5 hours best. If I had known, I would have let this poor 6s on iOS 14.3

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
Can't answer for last question but 14.8 on 6s is a disaster as battery is concerned. No lags, no nothing but battery last now between 3-5 hours best. If I had known, I would have let this poor 6s on iOS 14.3
Have you thought about replacing the battery on the phone?

They don't cost much and it is not very difficult to do. I changed the battery and waterproof seal on my 7+ after watching a dozen videos. Took me an hour in total with loads of tea breaks.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi. Yes I thought about it but what would it do actually? Also, I wonder if I should have the battery changed by Apple or a repair shop. Changing it by myself? Not sure. I would take 1000 coffee breaks. Would make me nervous I think.

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
Hi. Yes I thought about it but what would it do actually? Also, I wonder if I should have the battery changed by Apple or a repair shop. Changing it by myself? Not sure. I would take 1000 coffee breaks. Would make me nervous I think.
If the battery has never been changed since you bought the phone then I would be inclined to change it. My 7+ is running well after I changed the battery.

If this is your only phone then changing thr battery makes sense. I say with ios14.8 you will be able to use it fot a good two years. Just don't upgrade to ios15 yet. You could only after you see it doesn't affect the phone. Meaning it should be stable and have some speed to it. Not stable and dead slow

If you choose to do a DIY job on the battery I don't mind helping in finding the battery and video to help you.

Good luck

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I've done it myself, and it wasn't too bad. The most difficult part was removing the adhesive off of the battery (making sure not to let it get hot or puncture it) , outside of that it's a cakewalk.

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
I've done it myself, and it wasn't too bad. The most difficult part was removing the adhesive off of the battery (making sure not to let it get hot or puncture it) , outside of that it's a cakewalk.
Brilliant. When I took the adhesive off the battery went flying out taking the phone with it. Luckily no serious damage was done.

caprica21

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
I am thinking about getting a used iPhone 7 Plus for my youngest son - how much longer do you all think Apple will provide iOS upgrades for this model? I can go up to the 8 Plus but not sure I want to spend the extra cash at this point. TIA.

I think the problem is not that iOS will be supported or not (well.. it will be not after few years). But once iOS stop updating, majority of apps will also STOP working. It is happening for iPhone 6 / iOS 12.5.5 (last few days I am seeing several apps stopped updating and even asking to delete and use browser).

Lapsaj

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2021
I think the problem is not that iOS will be supported or not (well.. it will be not after few years). But once iOS stop updating, majority of apps will also STOP working. It is happening for iPhone 6 / iOS 12.5.5 (last few days I am seeing several apps stopped updating and even asking to delete and use browser).
True about this.

I am on ios 10 and the banking apps stopped supporting it a year ago.

I think a stable ios 14.8 or 15.xx will last for couple years.

Unlss they bring out some new apple way of coding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.