Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

would you prefer apple..

• Reduce performance to increase battery life

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Optimise for performance even as battery capacity declines

Votes: 89 74.2%

• Total voters

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
That is the official policy for Geniuses in Apple Stores. If it's over 80% capacity, they won't replace it even if you want to pay for it.

So yes, Apple said that.
80% battery is still good an there are other companies who will change it for less. Nobody is forcing you to have Apple replace it not even Apple. You could just throw the phone away like it was a cheap Android phone though.

Reactions: bobob

markp-a

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
At what percent do they start to throttle? Must be below 80.

Batteries are a wear item in my book.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

After what they deem the typical life of the battery (500 cycles). At that point, they throttle so that your phone can last longer. It's actually the opposite of planned obsolescence.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Apple has described it as a safety feature and one that prevents accidental shutdowns and prolongs device life which should reduce potential backlash. And while that may be true I agree a notification or toggle would be an improvement, as well as battery replacement like you suggested.

My guess is that’s what they’ll do, put a little message or indicator light somewhere that your battery ‘needs a service’.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
After what they deem the typical life of the battery (500 cycles). At that point, they throttle so that your phone can last longer. It's actually the opposite of planned obsolescence.

No, the throttling starts long before 80% capacity. My iPhone 6 was at 82% (so all good according to the Apple Store employee), yet was throttled down to the minimum of 600Mhz. A new battery was installed, and it's back to the original 1400MHz.

You're inventing stuff DNichter. Are you an honest person?
[doublepost=1513978540][/doublepost]

Not known yet, probably around 90%. It goes down gradually, but by the time you're at 80%, it's been throttled heavily and for a long time.

Reactions: pnmd

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
Some people have reported they take their slow iPhones to Apple and are told everything is fine, including the battery. So they are not given any options.

I still don't understand why does Apple not put that algorithm right in the original installed iOS of the device? Why wait till an iOS upgrades? Some batteries will wear out before any iOS upgrade and some people never bother to upgrade. Do they experience random shutdowns? if the risk of random shutdowns on worn batteries is real, the algorithm should be implemented regardless of iOS version. The fact it isn't makes me question how high the risks are.

Either way I would prefer to be informed.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
No, the throttling starts long before 80% capacity. My iPhone 6 was at 82% (so all good according to the Apple Store employee), yet was throttled down to the minimum of 600Mhz. A new battery was installed, and it's back to the original 1400MHz.

You're inventing stuff DNichter. Are you an honest person?

So it sounds like you had a bad battery, it happens. Glad you were able to get it fixed. I am very honest, but I try not to paint a broad picture based off a small number of incidents. I still think that Apple did the right thing by prolonging the life of people's phones with a bad battery, although they should have been more transparent about the issue. Ultimately, it's a business and I get the decision they made.
[doublepost=1513978902][/doublepost]
Some people have reported they take their slow iPhones to Apple and are told everything is fine, including the battery. So they are not given any options.

I still don't understand why does Apple not put that algorithm right in the original installed iOS of the device? Why wait till an iOS upgrades? Some batteries will wear out before any iOS upgrade and some people never bother to upgrade. Do they experience random shutdowns? if the risk of random shutdowns on worn batteries is real, the algorithm should be implemented regardless of iOS version. The fact it isn't makes me question how high the risks are.

Either way I would prefer to be informed.

I think it was implemented in 10.2.1 and has been in every iOS version since to protect against battery failure. I agree though, they should have been more forthcoming about the issue.

Reactions: Makayla

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
So it sounds like you had a bad battery, it happens. Glad you were able to get it fixed. I am very honest, but I try not to paint a broad picture based off a small number of incidents. I still think that Apple did the right thing by prolonging the life of people's phones with a bad battery, although they should have been more transparent about the issue. Ultimately, it's a business and I get the decision they made.

The battery was not bad according to Apple's diagnostics.

Do you know of any other device in existence that does this? (downclock the CPU based on battery capacity)

Why don't Apple do this on iPads?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The battery was not bad according to Apple's diagnostics.

Do you know of any other device in existence that does this? (downclock the CPU based on battery capacity)

Why don't Apple do this on iPads?

I am not sure, but I am okay with my iPhone X having the same feature. If my battery goes bad or is defective for any reason, I would prefer it to be slowed down occasionally over having random shutdowns.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
If the iPhone X is the same, next year your phone will start downclocking its CPU (ie get slower). It will do this even if your battery is in good condition. It will then gradually continue to slow down your CPU as your battery capacity goes down.

You think that is reasonable for a 999$ product?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Most people would get the battery replaced if it had been explained to them. But they hid the problem, refused to replace batteries even if people wanted to pay for it, and tried to sell them new phones.

Tim Crook at his finest!

Yeah but not before complaining about Tim Crook charging X amount of $ for the battery and service

Reactions: janeauburn

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It's correct. I have both.
[doublepost=1513970801][/doublepost]
But are you using Geekbench 3 or 4? 4 shows the same frequency every time which means it's probably preset. Geekbench 3 shows it differently sometimes which tells me it's pulling he actual speed when the app first starts.
[doublepost=1513970917][/doublepost]Here's CPU dasher speed on my 7.
I tested it, Geekbench 3 showed the real speed and changed with LPM but it couldn't identify the iPhone model. Geekbench 3 always shows the exact same preset number on my iPhone 4s which it can identify. Perhaps 4 works the same way.

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 152

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Sometimes I get scores under the 2.3GHZ and that's just because at the time the processor isn't always running at the full blast. Depending on what you are doing the processor will speed up or scale down. Say you are just scrolling safari or email... you don't need the blazing 2.3ghz all the time. That would just eat through the battery insanely fast.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.PNG
    IMG_0760.PNG
    79 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: Paddle1

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Since you asked

Does Windows 7 run well on XP era hardware?

could'nt say

[/QUOTE] Does Windows 10 perform well on Windows 7 era hardware?[/QUOTE]

with a 2011 i7-2600 and a 2009 intel xm-25 ssd, Yes it does.[/QUOTE]
Have the same model processor, and at least for my purposes (dedicated audio recording machine), Windows 10 is actually a substantial performance improvement. Windows 7 required all sorts of tweaking etc to get the most out of it. In 10 all I do is turn off the telemetry stuff and call it a day. Lots of factors in that one though.
[doublepost=1513984062][/doublepost]
I don't understand this "poll" at all. What's the point of it? Why should it even be a choice?

Battery degrades. This has been true since the invention of batteries, and when it does, the user can either choose to replace the battery, or live with needing to charge their phones more often. No one is angry about dying batteries.

What happened here is Apple had been caught reducing the performance of their devices without the users knowing, then coming up with a laughably stupid excuse claiming it's to "prolong a device's life". How about letting its customers know when the batteries in their phones need to be replaced?

The irony in all of this: if iOS 11 hadn't been so ridiculously bad performance wise, nobody would've went looking for every which possible way to test their phones. So let's all give our gratitude to the wonderful software engineers at Apple who released iOS11 upon us. Truly the heroes we need!
This is something that bugs the hell out of me about Apples handling of batteries degrading. So macOS can show you if you’re battery is defective or consumed. But only if you know to click on the battery section of the menu bar, or you go into system profiler. Particularly after adding Notification Center, what possible reason would their be to NOT alert the customer to this situation? It would save them money, has a machines battery expand and while I had to pay for the battery replacement (out of warranty), the housing damage etc was all taken care of by Apple. Same situation here. Obviously they’re keeping an eye on the battery’s capacity, or this throttling wouldn’t be possible. Give that same data to the customer. It would cut down on unnecessary Genius Bar appointments for people who’s physical batteries are fine (better for both Apple and the customer), and avoids situations like this. Just tell the customer they need a new battery! Hell, keep the throttling and have the alert say, “Your battery needs replacement. Until the battery has been replaced, peak performance cannot be guaranteed and at times may be limited by the battery’s health”. Done.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Or you can go to Apple and get a new battery or buy an Android and pray that the manufacturer and carrier will update your phone before the next model gets released.

As you can see, updates aren’t all it cracked up to be. With each Apple update, your devices creep towards obsolescence.

Reactions: janeauburn

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
As you can see, updates aren’t all it cracked up to be. With each Apple update, your devices creep towards obsolescence.
Android phones are pretty much out of date the instant they are released. Especially if you buy a Note or a V series which deliberately come with an os that’s going to be old within a month and no updates in sight.
[doublepost=1514000296][/doublepost]
For people who think we have to choose between slow iPhones and random shut downs, ask yourself this: Why?
You can choose to take your phone to a third party and get a new battery or never update the software or buy an Android phone which either has a skin that bogs the phone down within 6 months(Samsung) or never updates it at all. It’s not Apples fault that batteries degrade over time. Nothing in life is free.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
My options isn't there...

I prefer it to be slowed down and keep my phone working normally whilst I find the time to get the battery swapped. Much prefer that over forced shutdowns....And ideally have a message popping up that this is happening with an option to schedule a Genius Bar appointment to get it sorted...

But hey ho, I'm sure the complainers will still complain about it then and pretend that batteries shouldn't have wear...

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Android phones are pretty much out of date the instant they are released. Especially if you buy a Note or a V series which deliberately come with an os that’s going to be old within a month and no updates in sight.

What is it that you get with the instant Apple updates? That huge benefit of owning an Apple phone that everyone keeps bringing up. Because if you look at the OS as a whole, the updates do happen often but upgrades are rarely part of them. And when you do get an upgrade, it is something like an expanded animoji list or some other garbage that nobody cares about.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
I will never update my iPhones early again.
In all likelihood Apple changed
What is it that you get with the instant Apple updates? That huge benefit of owning an Apple phone that everyone keeps bringing up. Because if you look at the OS as a whole, the updates do happen often but upgrades are rarely part of them. And when you do get an upgrade, it is something like an expanded animoji list or some other garbage that nobody cares about.
updates provide security something that people who use Android are happy if their phone is full of holes so their information can be used and accessed by anybody else. Updates also bring new features into phones. If you don’t want new features and are ecstatic to use a fragmented OS and your overjoyed as being an actual product then by all means use Android. Google thinks you and your data is a product. They don’t actually care how they get the information, they would prefer for you to have all of your information on their servers so they can give it to anybody that asks for it.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
In all likelihood Apple changed

updates provide security something that people who use Android are happy if their phone is full of holes so their information can be used and accessed by anybody else. Updates also bring new features into phones. If you don’t want new features and are ecstatic to use a fragmented OS and your overjoyed as being an actual product then by all means use Android. Google thinks you and your data is a product. They don’t actually care how they get the information, they would prefer for you to have all of your information on their servers so they can give it to anybody that asks for it.
I hear you all preaching this nonsense but I’m yet to see any evidence that supports any of it. Have been using Android since it’s birth (and so have my friends), I’m yet to hear about anyone ever having a security issue. Meanwhile Apple is sneaking in malware that slows down your devices. Whipe your eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.